Williams confirm Martini sponsorship and reveal livery

2014 F1 seson

Williams have confirmed a new sponsorship deal with Martini and revealed their car’s colour scheme for 2014.

“Williams and Martini share a rich history in the world of motorsport, and the values of our two brands and our shared passion for racing make this partnership a natural fit,” said team founder Frank Williams.

“It will be great to see the distinctive stripes of Martini Racing return to Formula One once again in unison with Williams.”

The Martini history has a long history in motor racing, having appeared on Porsche sports cars, Lancia rally and sports cars, and Brabham, Lotus and Ferrari F1 cars as well as many others.

Video: Williams FW36 in action

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Images © Williams/LAT

143 comments on Williams confirm Martini sponsorship and reveal livery

1. matt90 (@matt90) said on 6th March 2014, 11:51

I’m a bit worried that the nose will look worse (more obvious and protruding) in bright white than it did in dark blue. Personally, although I like the Martini livery generally, I don’t like vast expanses of white on race liveries- I would have perhaps liked an additional stripe low on the sidepods, or a larger Martini logo.

I do like it though. It makes a nice change from the bland and indistinct livery they’ve had since BMW left them. It also matches up nicely to Force India using much less white, so at least the grid as a whole isn’t too similar. Nice to lose Williams as one of 3 teams who were using blue as a base colour in that respect too.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 6th March 2014, 11:54

In the time it took me to write that, more pictures have turned up. I do think the nose looks a bit worse, but I suppose that’s hard to avoid with the colour scheme.

• electrolite (@electrolite) said on 6th March 2014, 12:00

I thought they might have used stripes down the middle of the nose to hide the tip personally. You can tell everything’s been arranged and the photos are from the angles they are to attract more sponsors.

• Christopher (@twiinzspeed) said on 6th March 2014, 14:07

I too would like to see more of the Martini stripes than white. But, the white base is very “old school” and plays well to Williams as an old school f1 race team. White also makes it easier to spot leaks . Overall, I think Williams has done the best job this year. Great buzz, great marketing of new sponsors released slowly to keep them in the headlines, solid testing results, and awesome signing to cut out the Maldonado cancer and bring in someone as well liked and quick as Massa. I will always be a Tifosi fan first, but Williams is my next favorite. I sure hope Massa can get a win/ podiums this year. :)

• Kazihno (@kazinho) said on 7th March 2014, 6:14

I feel they’ve missed the opportunity to cover the proboscis with a bottle of Martini. From the front it could look like the neck of a bottle.

2. Tomsk (@tomsk) said on 6th March 2014, 12:01

In countries where alcohol logos are banned, will they use the London Transport one?
    It’s the same shape, and their buses use Williams hybrid power…

3. memo said on 6th March 2014, 12:07

wheres the classic blue? i was used to the mainly blue liveries in williams…

4. Rigi (@rigi) said on 6th March 2014, 12:07

awesome! that’s all there is to say!

5. Luke (@lukes) said on 6th March 2014, 12:08

Gosh thought Carlos Reutemann had made a comeback

6. Markus (@maxsu) said on 6th March 2014, 12:12

Looks superb! Normally, I’d say a white livery is possibly to most boring way to go, but this is one I definitely approve of. Nice camera work too on those photos.

7. Michael (@mhonners) said on 6th March 2014, 12:17

Quite stunning! Possibly the best looking car on the grid?

8. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 6th March 2014, 12:18

That’s pretty tidy actually, well played Williams, it would have been easy to mess that up. If I’m being critical I’d say the sidepods are a bit bare, but it looks really good.

Where did the Esquire sponsorship come from? That hasn’t been announced has it?

9. Damien Blackman (@hyakuyagami) said on 6th March 2014, 12:24

I really like this livery, a modern look but still a classic feel to it

10. lordhesketh (@lordhesketh) said on 6th March 2014, 12:25

Everyone take off the retro goggles….
    I think it’s just okay. Pretty dull and boring if you ask me. Something that may look nice and clean up close, but pretty bland on television. Either way, I’m far more excited about the potential performance of the Williams this year rather than its appearance.

11. Royal-Spark (@royal-spark) said on 6th March 2014, 12:25

This livery can make and an eyesore of a car seem rather eye catching.

12. DavidS (@davids) said on 6th March 2014, 12:26

Ok, I’m supporting Williams this year.

13. Brian (@bealzbob) said on 6th March 2014, 12:31

B.E.A.U.tiful.

14. Deej92 (@deej92) said on 6th March 2014, 12:41

I’m just wondering how Codemasters are going to censor this? They may take the Martini logos away, but they are a title sponsor. I’m not sure whether they could exclude the title sponsor from the team name or not.

• GeeMac (@geemac) said on 6th March 2014, 12:45

I can’t say I’ve noticed but they don’t censor Force India or the Johnnie Walker logos on the McLaren at the moment do they?

• Lucas Wilson (@full-throttle-f1) said on 6th March 2014, 12:56

You can’t be sponsored by alcohol anymore in games?????

• Deej92 (@deej92) said on 6th March 2014, 13:31

Yeah they do because if you look Force India use Fly Kingfisher instead of Kingfisher and they also remove the other alcohol brands, that’s why they always look more plain on F1 games. And Johnnie Walker doesn’t appear on the McLaren either.

I think they’ve been censoring alcohol since the around late 90s as I remember “Foster’s” in F1 98 being “Faster”.

15. mc4ren (@mc4ren) said on 6th March 2014, 12:42

No sign of Mercedes power anywhere. At least last year they had some Renault logos.

• Deej92 (@deej92) said on 6th March 2014, 15:06

The overalls have the three-pointed star on them, which actually surprised me as they’ve never had any logos on Force India. Maybe the cars will have some small branding from Mercedes as well, especially if Williams are front-runners.