Williams confirm Martini sponsorship and reveal livery

2014 F1 seson

Williams have confirmed a new sponsorship deal with Martini and revealed their car’s colour scheme for 2014.

“Williams and Martini share a rich history in the world of motorsport, and the values of our two brands and our shared passion for racing make this partnership a natural fit,” said team founder Frank Williams.

“It will be great to see the distinctive stripes of Martini Racing return to Formula One once again in unison with Williams.”

The Martini history has a long history in motor racing, having appeared on Porsche sports cars, Lancia rally and sports cars, and Brabham, Lotus and Ferrari F1 cars as well as many others.

Video: Williams FW36 in action

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Images © Williams/LAT

143 comments on Williams confirm Martini sponsorship and reveal livery

1. Markus (@maxsu) said on 6th March 2014, 12:12

Looks superb! Normally, I’d say a white livery is possibly to most boring way to go, but this is one I definitely approve of. Nice camera work too on those photos.

2. Michael (@mhonners) said on 6th March 2014, 12:17

Quite stunning! Possibly the best looking car on the grid?

3. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 6th March 2014, 12:18

That’s pretty tidy actually, well played Williams, it would have been easy to mess that up. If I’m being critical I’d say the sidepods are a bit bare, but it looks really good.

Where did the Esquire sponsorship come from? That hasn’t been announced has it?

4. Damien Blackman (@hyakuyagami) said on 6th March 2014, 12:24

I really like this livery, a modern look but still a classic feel to it

5. lordhesketh (@lordhesketh) said on 6th March 2014, 12:25

Everyone take off the retro goggles….
    I think it’s just okay. Pretty dull and boring if you ask me. Something that may look nice and clean up close, but pretty bland on television. Either way, I’m far more excited about the potential performance of the Williams this year rather than its appearance.

6. Royal-Spark (@royal-spark) said on 6th March 2014, 12:25

This livery can make and an eyesore of a car seem rather eye catching.

7. DavidS (@davids) said on 6th March 2014, 12:26

Ok, I’m supporting Williams this year.

8. Brian (@bealzbob) said on 6th March 2014, 12:31

B.E.A.U.tiful.

9. Deej92 (@deej92) said on 6th March 2014, 12:41

I’m just wondering how Codemasters are going to censor this? They may take the Martini logos away, but they are a title sponsor. I’m not sure whether they could exclude the title sponsor from the team name or not.

• GeeMac (@geemac) said on 6th March 2014, 12:45

I can’t say I’ve noticed but they don’t censor Force India or the Johnnie Walker logos on the McLaren at the moment do they?

• Lucas Wilson (@full-throttle-f1) said on 6th March 2014, 12:56

You can’t be sponsored by alcohol anymore in games?????

• Deej92 (@deej92) said on 6th March 2014, 13:31

Yeah they do because if you look Force India use Fly Kingfisher instead of Kingfisher and they also remove the other alcohol brands, that’s why they always look more plain on F1 games. And Johnnie Walker doesn’t appear on the McLaren either.

I think they’ve been censoring alcohol since the around late 90s as I remember “Foster’s” in F1 98 being “Faster”.

10. mc4ren (@mc4ren) said on 6th March 2014, 12:42

No sign of Mercedes power anywhere. At least last year they had some Renault logos.

• Deej92 (@deej92) said on 6th March 2014, 15:06

The overalls have the three-pointed star on them, which actually surprised me as they’ve never had any logos on Force India. Maybe the cars will have some small branding from Mercedes as well, especially if Williams are front-runners.

11. Jan (@yancheelaa) said on 6th March 2014, 12:53

WOOOW…this is quite something. Everybody in F1 is talking about optimization, team restructuring etc…but what Williams has done is doing this properly. Great restart I must say and they have ALL of my support to win races in 2014, from what I read I just see a team that is trying to DO things instead of just talking about it. Yes of course some might say everybody is trying this, but they had some miserable seasons, but what this is, is just something at what a heart of every hardcore F1 fan must jump of happyness… Mine is and I wish Williams GREAT 2014 SEASON…go frank :)

12. Alley said on 6th March 2014, 12:55

I Think the livery is refreshing, it looks the current.

13. Baron (@baron) said on 6th March 2014, 12:57

Outstanding!

14. The Bear! (@justgassing) said on 6th March 2014, 12:59

Any time any place anywhere, it looks cool and i hope they get back on top this year.

15. JKorz said on 6th March 2014, 13:00

Too much white for my liking when I first saw the pictures , I really liked that dark blue they were running in testing. But its growing on me as I type. Hope this car brings them success.
    Can’t wait to see all the finished cars wearing their badges and tags In Melbourne !

16. Lucas Wilson (@full-throttle-f1) said on 6th March 2014, 13:02

Okay, let’s say this car is the 2nd fastest at Melbourne and they can take the fight to Merc this year, will they be able to keep up in the development race?

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 6th March 2014, 13:10

I assume they have good facilities thanks to their history and competitive BMW links only 10 years ago. If the technical team is as good and in order as people seem to think and the finance is there (as the array of new upcoming sponsors suggests), then the only limiting factor is manpower. I don’t know how they compare to other teams in that regard.

• dkpioe said on 6th March 2014, 14:29

I think in the past couple of years Williams have had the wrong drivers to push it forward. when Maldonado took the win in spain a couple of years ago, the team didn’t capitilise on that, and went backwards after that, they lost the development race, while teams like r=Redbull with Vettel and Ferrari with Alonso delevoped their car as the year went on. Mercedes have had the same problem since 2009 as the Brawn team – they can not develop as the year goes on, and I believe it is their drivers a lot at fault for that (reading into a recent autosport magazine article – last years tyre issues for Mercedes were more sorted by Robert Kubica testing in the Mercedes simulator, then contracted drivers Rosberg and Hamilton). Lotus will have the same problem this year, previous they had Alonso, then Kubica pushing them forward when they were Renault, and then Raikkonen… while now they have Maldonado and Grosjean = inferior drivers to those 3, and we are likely to see dull years for Lotus like the past few years at Williams. I see Massa as an intelligent top level driver that will help keep Williams up there this year as the year goes on. they are up there now as a top 3 team based on testing. (of course having a Mercedes power unit helps too!)

17. Tomsk (@tomsk) said on 6th March 2014, 13:07

Sky have got the right idea – they’ve chopped the nose off in both their photos so far!

18. kowalsky jose said on 6th March 2014, 13:08

One question keith. I thought the alcohol ads, were prohibited with the tobacco ban. I must be wrong.

• Force India have run with Kingfisher, Whyte and Mackay, McLaren have run with Johnny Walker. All since the tobacco ban. Some countries in the EU, such as France, ban the advertising of alcohol in sports though.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 6th March 2014, 13:19

Johnnie Walker and Whyte & Mackay have been sponsors for several years to McLaren and Force India.

19. Kieran Lyne (@kierlyne) said on 6th March 2014, 13:23

Good to see things looking up for Williams, hope to see them maintain their progress and mount a challenge at the business end of the grid this season. Surely the closest thing to a good looking car this season!

20. Robbie (@robbie) said on 6th March 2014, 13:25

Have to add to the overwhelming consensus that this is every bit as beautiful as the artists’ renderings from recent weeks had projected it might be. And what a bonus that it appears for now like they may be fighting for podia. I’ll be surprised if they can do much against the works Mercedes team, but as long as they’re near the sharp end of the stick that will be fantastic and too long coming.