Which team has the best-looking car of 2014?

2014 F1 season

The appearance of the latest generation of Formula One cars has been a major talking point during the off-season for one obvious reason.

Much as happened two years ago, a change in the rules regarding nose dimensions has led to the creation of some very unusual-looking cars.

While the question of aesthetics is ultimately a matter of taste it is a concern that the rules are now so tight the teams have little option other than to produce such unsightly creations.

But some will always be ore pleasing to the eye than others and there are some striking livery changes among the 2014 contenders as well. So for a moment let’s put aside the more important question of which is fastest and pick the best-looking car of 2014.

Red Bull RB10

Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull, Bahrain, 2014

It’s giving the team a lot of trouble but the RB10 has one of the more elegant approaches to the nose rules.

Mercedes W05

Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, Bahrain, 2014

A steeply-sloped nose and a familiar colour scheme on the car which has been a major force in pre-season testing.

Ferrari F14 T

Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, Bahrain, 2014

Ferrari added more black to their livery last year and there’s rather a lot of it at the rear of the new F14 T, perhaps to make it difficult for their rivals to spy developments in this sensitive area of the car.

Lotus E22

Romain Grosjean, Lotus, Bahrain, 2014

While the most dramatic feature of the E22 is its asymmetric twin-tusked nose, the arrival of PDVSA branding sees more read on the car as the team continue to move away from the ‘black and gold’ look they began using three years ago.

McLaren MP4-29

Kevin Magnussen, McLaren, Bahrain, 2014

McLaren have lost their Vodafone backing and will race in silver and black though they may have a new major sponsor soon.

Force India VJM07

Nico Hulkenberg, Force India, Bahrain, 2014

Force India have also got out the black paint, partly to obscure the unfortunate nose of the VJM07.

Sauber C33

Esteban Gutierrez, Sauber, Bahrain, 2014

Sauber overhauled their colour scheme last year and they’ve retained the look in the successor to the car which F1 Fanatic readers voted their favourite of 2013.

Toro Rosso STR9

Jean-Eric Vergne, Toro Rosso, Bahrain, 2014

Toro Rosso’s latest design has adopted a more curvaceous nose since testing began but the livery remains much the same.

Williams FW36

Williams FW36 - Martini livery reveal, 2014

Williams used a ‘heritage’ livery on their car in testing. Yesterday they revealed the definitive livery for the FW36 after announcing a sponsorship deal with Martini, whose colours have appeared on many great racing cars in the past.

Marussia MR03

Max Chilton, Marussia, Bahrain, 2014

Marussia updated their livery last year and have stuck with the same look for 2014.

Caterham CT05

Marcus Ericsson, Caterham, Bahrain, 2014

Caterham have updated their style and the CT05’s livery has been revised again since the first test. The yellow of previous seasons has gone, replaced by silver and light green. But it’s the unique nose which attracts the most attention in their latest car.

Over to you

Who’s got the best-looking – or least-ugly – car this year? Cast your vote below and have your say in the comments.

Which is the best-looking car of 2014?

• Red Bull RB10 (16%)
  • Caterham CT05 (1%)
  • No opinion (0%)

Total Voters: 786

Loading ... Loading ...

2014 F1 season preview

Browse all 2014 F1 season preview articles

Images © Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo, Lotus/LAT, Williams/LAT, McLaren/Hoch Zwei, Mercedes/Hoch Zwei, Red Bull/Getty, Force India, Sauber, Caterham/LAT, Marussia

126 comments on Which team has the best-looking car of 2014?

1 2 3 6
  1. Arrrang (@arrrang) said on 7th March 2014, 12:33

Car- Mercedes W05
    Livery- Williams “for sure”;-)

• Carlitox (@carlitox) said on 7th March 2014, 12:44

Yeah I’m not really sure if we’re supposed to base on the livery or the shape. I have quite the same choices as you, though the Sauber and the Williams have rather elegant solutions to the nosecone.

• Jimmy_D (@jimmy_d) said on 9th March 2014, 8:14

I think people are voting for the livery, for me it’s all about blunting the nose, and I think Red Bull have done the best job. That’s why they get my vote.

• AmirAnuar (@amiranuar) said on 7th March 2014, 13:09

yup right now williams for sure but need to wait till mclaren show their before i could vote

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 7th March 2014, 16:49

Mercedes for me also, but Williams win the best livery award (followed by Force India) and Red Bull win the best nose award IMO.

• Strontium (@strontium) said on 7th March 2014, 17:43

Exactly my opinion!

• Morty Vicar (@mortyvicar) said on 7th March 2014, 19:22

That was my issue, how to interpret “best”? Most aesthetic? Most functional? Most pleasing when considering livery too? I went just on the design and it came down to RBR10 vs Williams FW36. I tipped in favour of the RBR because the Williams’ nose treatment is uglier. Newey has the best design in my opinion, it’s just a pity that it doesn’t work the way it looks!

• sars (@sars) said on 8th March 2014, 9:32

Exactly, W05 looks aggressive with the least radical nose, but that Martini livery just brings back so many happy childhood memories.

All we need now is a red and white Mclaren

• J Dubya (@j-dubya) said on 9th March 2014, 3:32

1. Williams elegant design and excellent livery
      2. McLaren elegant design, innovative, chrome silver is hard to beat
      3. Sauber elegant, neutral livery
      4. Red Bull maybe the best nose solution, but the Red Bull livery is way too busy, too many different colors, blue, red, yellow, purple, silver, white — looks like it was designed by committee –garish and terrible. If it had Toro Rosso’s livery, it might be in the top 2.
      5. Mercedes by a slight nose over the Ferrari, almost the same design, the hard edges and slightly higher nose opening work slightly better. The Petronas green fade gray is dated at best –not good but not as bad as Red Bull.
      6. Ferrari better livery than the Merc, but the softer edges of the nose, and lower opening make it look like a vacuum cleaner or who knows.
      7. Toro Rosso is the best of the fallic nose cars, good livery
      8. Marussia always looks like a junior category car, the best that can be said is that it isn’t horribly ugly
      9. Force India I like what they have done with the livery, and at least they have attempted to de-emphasize the nose member.
      10 & 11 Hard to chose between the Lotus and the Caterham. I love the Caterham green, the nose is terrible. Same for the Lotus, decent color scheme to work with, but they have made no attempt to aesthetically integrate the nose into the design elements of the car. I have to give them both credit for a purist approach, but their noses look horrible.

2. MW (@) said on 7th March 2014, 12:34

Williams for the livery and the rear end.. The nose isn’t great it looks like a jigsaw piece.. But overall I look forward to seeing some retro colours in action!

3. Neel Jani (@neelv27) said on 7th March 2014, 12:35

Haha! If this vote was put forward before the Williams Martini launch, there would have been VOTING. Now, it’s hands down winner. Cheers Martini!

4. Marty said on 7th March 2014, 12:35

If it wasn’t for Martini sponsorship on Williams, Force India would have my vote, but now it is hands down for Williams.

5. Voted Mercedes: She is classy.
    The Lotus and the Red Bull are fine too, I quite like the Williams but it just has coloured stripes for livery.

6. Neel Jani (@neelv27) said on 7th March 2014, 12:37

But yes, if I had to select then

best looking car – Red Bull (I mean how smartly they hid the _____). It’s stunning indeed.
    best livery – Williams Martini and even Lotus is good

7. TomMK (@tommk) said on 7th March 2014, 12:37

Livery = Williams FW36. Best looking livery in years, let alone this year.
    Shape = Red Bull RB10. It looks quick.

• Jonny Edwards (@racectrl) said on 7th March 2014, 20:33

I’m with you. The Redbull shape is simply stunning. Shame about the livery and that’s were the Williams steals the show, whilst still producing a very pleasing shape. It’s the overall winner for me. I wish them all the success this year. They deserve it.

• BaKano (@bakano) said on 9th March 2014, 8:29

That is my vote as well. The Williams has the best livery although it is a simple one, but impossible not to vote for the Martini colours :-)
      The RB10 is the best looking car in terms of car shape, manly because it is has the best nose job of all :)

8. Albrecht said on 7th March 2014, 12:38

Mercedes and Red Bull. McLaren’s looks fine enough, once you get over the nose.

9. Ciaran (@ciaran) said on 7th March 2014, 12:40

Gee I wonder who’s going to win this one…
    Anyways, I’m starting to think that Keith’s putting too much emphasis on the 2014 cars being apparently ugly. People have gotten over their initial reactions at this stage, the variety is something to appreciate after years of too much similarity, and only a handful of them were actually bad in the first place. For what it’s worth, I’d say the Marussia is the best-looking on the grid.

10. Sam (@) said on 7th March 2014, 12:43

Williams with Red Bull a close second to me.

11. Garns (@) said on 7th March 2014, 12:45

Red Bull looks great again, nose has been done well.
    Williams livery is excellent- well played.
    As an overall beast? I still like the Silver Arrows! (And just on the quiet I still might place a small wager on Nico for WDC this year!!)

12. mnmracer (@mnmracer) said on 7th March 2014, 12:46

Red Bull with Williams livery <3

• clay (@clay) said on 7th March 2014, 23:28

+1. Either that or the Williams with the Red Bull nose. Genuinely hope Williams can do very well this year. Ever since the test cheating episode of last year I have a real dislike of Mercedes, so I’d love Williams to knock them off this year.

13. Damien Blackman (@hyakuyagami) said on 7th March 2014, 12:46

Car: Mercedes for sure
    Livery: Williams, if they had a nose closer to the red bull they’d be the best looking by miles.

14. Sir Teukka (@merioksa) said on 7th March 2014, 12:52

Williams! Not only is it ‘least-ugly’, but it’s actually very good-looking.

P.S. I don’t get what’s so amazing about the Mercedes.

15. Deej92 (@deej92) said on 7th March 2014, 12:55

Car – Red Bull RB10 (which I voted for). I did initially think Mercedes but this car has really grown on me. It’s the closest to what this era of cars should look like. Honourable mentions to Mercedes, McLaren, and Lotus for this category.

Livery – Mercedes W05. I like the turquoise and the black mixing with the silver. Honourable mentions to McLaren (interim), Force India, and Williams for this category.

Apparently the Martini livery may change a few times throughout the season (the colours of the stripes perhaps).

1 2 3 6