Which team has the best-looking car of 2014?

2014 F1 season

The appearance of the latest generation of Formula One cars has been a major talking point during the off-season for one obvious reason.

Much as happened two years ago, a change in the rules regarding nose dimensions has led to the creation of some very unusual-looking cars.

While the question of aesthetics is ultimately a matter of taste it is a concern that the rules are now so tight the teams have little option other than to produce such unsightly creations.

But some will always be ore pleasing to the eye than others and there are some striking livery changes among the 2014 contenders as well. So for a moment let’s put aside the more important question of which is fastest and pick the best-looking car of 2014.

Red Bull RB10

Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull, Bahrain, 2014

It’s giving the team a lot of trouble but the RB10 has one of the more elegant approaches to the nose rules.

Mercedes W05

Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, Bahrain, 2014

A steeply-sloped nose and a familiar colour scheme on the car which has been a major force in pre-season testing.

Ferrari F14 T

Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, Bahrain, 2014

Ferrari added more black to their livery last year and there’s rather a lot of it at the rear of the new F14 T, perhaps to make it difficult for their rivals to spy developments in this sensitive area of the car.

Lotus E22

Romain Grosjean, Lotus, Bahrain, 2014

While the most dramatic feature of the E22 is its asymmetric twin-tusked nose, the arrival of PDVSA branding sees more read on the car as the team continue to move away from the ‘black and gold’ look they began using three years ago.

McLaren MP4-29

Kevin Magnussen, McLaren, Bahrain, 2014

McLaren have lost their Vodafone backing and will race in silver and black though they may have a new major sponsor soon.

Force India VJM07

Nico Hulkenberg, Force India, Bahrain, 2014

Force India have also got out the black paint, partly to obscure the unfortunate nose of the VJM07.

Sauber C33

Esteban Gutierrez, Sauber, Bahrain, 2014

Sauber overhauled their colour scheme last year and they’ve retained the look in the successor to the car which F1 Fanatic readers voted their favourite of 2013.

Toro Rosso STR9

Jean-Eric Vergne, Toro Rosso, Bahrain, 2014

Toro Rosso’s latest design has adopted a more curvaceous nose since testing began but the livery remains much the same.

Williams FW36

Williams FW36 - Martini livery reveal, 2014

Williams used a ‘heritage’ livery on their car in testing. Yesterday they revealed the definitive livery for the FW36 after announcing a sponsorship deal with Martini, whose colours have appeared on many great racing cars in the past.

Marussia MR03

Max Chilton, Marussia, Bahrain, 2014

Marussia updated their livery last year and have stuck with the same look for 2014.

Caterham CT05

Marcus Ericsson, Caterham, Bahrain, 2014

Caterham have updated their style and the CT05’s livery has been revised again since the first test. The yellow of previous seasons has gone, replaced by silver and light green. But it’s the unique nose which attracts the most attention in their latest car.

Over to you

Who’s got the best-looking – or least-ugly – car this year? Cast your vote below and have your say in the comments.

Which is the best-looking car of 2014?

• Red Bull RB10 (16%)
  • Caterham CT05 (1%)
  • No opinion (0%)

Total Voters: 786

Loading ... Loading ...

2014 F1 season preview

Browse all 2014 F1 season preview articles

Images © Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo, Lotus/LAT, Williams/LAT, McLaren/Hoch Zwei, Mercedes/Hoch Zwei, Red Bull/Getty, Force India, Sauber, Caterham/LAT, Marussia

126 comments on Which team has the best-looking car of 2014?

1. Dj xo2 (@dj-xo2) said on 7th March 2014, 21:16

They are all still ugly

• joc_the_manjoc_the_man said on 8th March 2014, 15:43

Agree
      …all cars look ridiculous all because of the studid rules set by the FIA. Again, they do not obviously care the least abt looks and seems to forget abt the fact that all sponsors want nice and cool looks to open the wallet. The FIA heads are soo stuck in their ivory towers and have forgotten who is paying them. Scandal. Sad times.

• Dave (@raceprouk) said on 8th March 2014, 19:27

The teams, by way of entry & license fees.

Scandal

No, just lack of foresight.

2. jre_f1 (@jre_f1) said on 7th March 2014, 21:29

I’d rank them….and I am no Red Bull fan….
    Red Bull – Best looking car by a mile and a decent paint job to boot
    Williams – Not a bad looking car but a great paint job
    Sauber – Its got a nose that is swept in, looks like part of the car, pretty paint scheme, a good looking car.
    Mercedes – Inoffensive to the eye, not exactly beautiful but not ugly either
    Marussia – Great colour scheme, nose isn’t the worst either
    Mclaren – Not the best, not the worst, just boring and really very mediocre looking.
    Ferrari – It just looks odd shape wise, too much black and white, looked better in all red in 2007/9.
    Toro Rosso – Horrid car, saved by the paint job
    Caterham – Horrid car, at least its a nice green.
    Force India – Horrid car, nasty paint scheme, total mess.
    Lotus – Horrid paint scheme – totally missed the point of the black and gold, nose – awful. This years bottom of the class.

3. Mackeine Loveine (@cocaine-mackeine) said on 7th March 2014, 21:32

Easy: Red Bull, it is the unique car that has a decent design and not silly jokes that go ahead with most of the cars. Mercedes and McLaren come into a very close second, and I don’t know why the Ferrari it’s starting to look great for me, especially in that incredible shot to vote.
    Another thing: I’m surprised that more people voted for the Caterham than for the

4. HiPn0tIc (@hipn0tic) said on 7th March 2014, 22:15

Williams is the best for me this year. It reminds me Lancia Delta in WRC with the Martini livery

5. Overall impression must be Williams, but we don’t now the final livery of the McLaren yet.

6. Sauber (@mumito) said on 8th March 2014, 0:39

Sauber looks really good. The bad thing is that contrast against the track is not good. But I would change a good looking car for a winning one.

7. Maciek (@maciek) said on 8th March 2014, 0:44

For me it’s a toss up between the McLaren and the Mercedes. I find both have great, unusual, fast looking shapes and loads of interesting details, plus the chrome actually lets you see those details. The Williams livery is waaaay overrated – I mean it’s mostly white. And there’s just been way too much focus on the noses – they’re miles better than the steps we’ve the last seasons.

8. VMaxMuffin (@vmaxmuffin) said on 8th March 2014, 0:58

If you’d asked me a week ago, I would’ve said the Merc was easily the best looking car, hands down. But now I say it’s the Williams. Why? I’m not entirely sure. Based on pure design, i.e. if all of the cars were a plain colour, it’s still the Merc, but the Martini livery on the Williams looks absolutely fantastic, and in fact I think it even somehow makes the “finger nose” more tolerable. I can’t quite put my finger on it (not a pun), but I think it’s because whilst some (like Red Bull/Force India) have tried hiding it with dark colours, having it there in bright, white paint makes it look like it’s supposed to be there on the Williams. Maybe it’s just the fact that I love the Martini livery anyway, maybe I’m just growing to not mind the new noses, but that doesn’t matter – I still think that the Williams looks the best.

9. Barry Miller (@bmk1586) said on 8th March 2014, 1:00

Don’t like to say it but people are picking Williams because of the new livery, not because its the best looking car. This wasn’t a best livery pole.

10. Barry Miller (@bmk1586) said on 8th March 2014, 1:05

Ask the same question after all the hype about Williams new livery is over……way too soon to ask due to their recent unveiling IMO.

11. Win7Golf (@win7golf) said on 8th March 2014, 3:25

Unless McLaren shows up a blast of a title sponsor and livery, the Williams Martini colors are a welcome and fresh blast from the past of F1! :)

12. Yorricksfriend (@yorricksfriend) said on 8th March 2014, 5:49

Wow, I’m surprised this poll has such a decisive winner. For me it is hands down the Mercedes as the best looking car – livery and design combined. The Williams is definitely not the best looking car from a design point of view, and ignoring for a moment the nostalgia of the Martini colours, the Williams livery is actually quite boring, with far too much white. Excessive white on liveries being one of my pet hates.

13. David not Coulthard (@) said on 8th March 2014, 7:59

Red Bull for me, thoguh a few a smaller airbox would’ve made me opt for Caterham (which has probably got something to do with how much I like green).

14. David not Coulthard (@) said on 8th March 2014, 8:22

The FW36.

15. ferrox glideh (@ferrox-glideh) said on 8th March 2014, 13:00

Yeah, I voted for the Caterham. Marks for originality, plus a solid minimalist colour scheme. Sure, it’s no Jordan 191, but what is this year?
    I also preferred the Williams testing livery of dark blue with white decals to the Martini one. I’m sure Ken Tyrell would have loved both.