McLaren reveal livery for Australian Grand Prix

2014 Australian Grand Prix

McLaren livery, 2014 Australian Grand PrixMcLaren have revealed the colour scheme they will use for the first race weekend of the season in Australia, having used an interim livery during testing.

The team will use the livery to mark 20 years of support from sponsor Mobil 1.

“We are privileged to have worked closely with ExxonMobil over a very successful 20 years and counting,” said chief operating officer and acting CEO Jonathan Neale.

“During 332 races together we have achieved four world championships, 78 wins, 229 podium finishes and 76 pole positions, which is testament to our powerful technology partnership. Seeing the Mobil fuels branding alongside Mobil 1 on the MP-4 29 is a great recognition of the relationship’s contribution to performance over our two decades together.”

McLaren are without a title sponsor this year following the departure of Vodafone at the end of last season. Last week McLaren Group CEO Ron Dennis said he expects to have a replacement in place “in the new few events”.

2014 Australian Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Australian Grand Prix articles

Image © McLaren

99 comments on McLaren reveal livery for Australian Grand Prix

1 2 3
  1. Barry Miller (@bmk1586) said on 13th March 2014, 3:42

Glad they aren’t racing with the testing livery. Other than that…..meh

2. Sir OBE said on 13th March 2014, 3:45

This livery could be perfect if they just had a few touches of red or orange in few places. Just to accentuate few details. This way it seems completely bland.

3. reiter (@reiter) said on 13th March 2014, 3:47

I like it. It reminds me a bit of the Hakkinen days! Now if they could write “Jenson” on the side…

4. mike-e (@mike-e) said on 13th March 2014, 4:01

Shame that its not orange and black instead of grey and black

5. Jack Flash (Aust) said on 13th March 2014, 4:08

Well… how bland is that?
    Following McLaren with Mercedes in close proximity will be like watching historic old black-n-white films of F1 in the 30′s. All that would be missing is the Auto-Union cars. JF

6. Diego (@ironcito) said on 13th March 2014, 5:17

They probably don’t want any color associated with them until they have a title sponsor, that’s why it’s so bland.

7. Joey-Poey (@joey-poey) said on 13th March 2014, 5:22

Seriously. Am I the only one who saw this and went “YES”? Looks badass to me. Simple yet flowing, but also very aggressive looking. You can never go wrong with black on a race car if you ask me. Granted, I’ll admit this is all subjective because Ferrari red looks boring yet people go gaga over it for reasons beyond my grasp.

• ztjackson (@ztjackson) said on 13th March 2014, 5:43

Agreed, I think it looks fantastic. I imagine Ron Dennis was in deep consultation with the design team to make sure the shades of silver and black were *just so*.

• The Blade Runner (@thebladerunner) said on 13th March 2014, 8:30

Me too. Very purposeful.

• salcrich said on 13th March 2014, 9:05

Said it before the livery change – I liked the car new nose and all. This morning like you saw this pic and thought “yes”. Making cars photogenic is of course an art in itself which is why manufacturers choose colours very carefully for brochures. Will be interesting to see what will eventually be a colour version with final sponsor.

• petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 13th March 2014, 10:01

@joey-poey – No I thought the same as you and was equally surprised to look down at the comments and see everyone say it was boring.

In all fairness, the picture doesn’t look great because it makes the car look grey instead of chrome. Obviously chrome will reflect the colours around it so in a dull studio environment, it’s going to just look grey.

You can tell Ron Dennis is back in charge can’t you…!

• OneBHK (@onebhk) said on 13th March 2014, 10:49

Is there some FIA regulation for change of livery mid-season?

• iFuel said on 13th March 2014, 13:27

I think one-off comemorative/special liveries are allowed, Red Bull already did this on a few ocasions (charity liveries and DC retirement).. I dunno what the regs says about this

• Strontium (@strontium) said on 13th March 2014, 17:17

21.1 …any [major] change to this livery during a Championship season may only be made with the agreement of the Formula One Commission.

So essentially they could already have an agreement to change the livery already. Who knows!

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 13th March 2014, 11:12

I like it quite a lot, although for me some colour in it would have been nice. But its an improvement over the vodafone livery last year that was getting as old as the red Bull one, and its far better than the bland testing livery.

Seeing the glossy shine on those sidepods, its going to look a lot better in real than on the studio picture (or render?) its above.

• Grammo (@grammo) said on 13th March 2014, 13:12

I also agree. I think in real life it will look mean
      As for the Ferrari red I appreciate the meaning

8. Sir OBE said on 13th March 2014, 5:28

There is a difference between minimalism and blandness. This car just simply looks like it’s a poor team’s car.

9. Guy (@sudd) said on 13th March 2014, 5:34

Jeez! At least use actual mobil 1 colors. A little color won’t hurt you McL.

• Baron (@baron) said on 13th March 2014, 18:48

Am I the only one to notice that the graphic is in black & white, not colour, and, you might say so what? The tyres, look at the tyres. They are in black & white also but we know they have coloured writing etc. So, I would expect there will be colour on the logo when you see the car proper.

• Guy (@sudd) said on 13th March 2014, 19:14

Good point. Didn’t notice that. But what the hell are they doing releasing black and white photos? Liveries are all about the design and color. A black and white photo is useless in that regard. I think it will be in color otherwise Mobil 1 is going say “thanks for nothing!” Corporations what their brands to be easily recognizable, and that means getting their colors right.

10. Ross said on 13th March 2014, 5:37

It reminds me of a penguin in an oil slick.

11. I got it right they wouldn’t race that livery but i wasn’t expecting they wouldn’t have a major sponsor but this ias a nice solution, in the end a good opportunity to show their appreciation to Mobil who stuck with them.

12. Todfod (@todfod) said on 13th March 2014, 5:54

I like it. It’s a little plain , but looks classic nonetheless

• Steven (@steevkay) said on 13th March 2014, 16:10

These are my thoughts as well. Maybe not ‘classic’ in the strictest sense, but clean, simple, and looks pretty good.

I’d rather see a bit of colour (I wish McLaren would adopt more of that Orange-Arrows livery using their McLaren orange colour) but for a monochromatic design, I like it.

13. andae23 (@andae23) said on 13th March 2014, 6:08

That looks great! I would even go as far as saying that’s the second best livery of the year.

• andae23 (@andae23) said on 13th March 2014, 6:23

… however, it’s just to cover the fact that they don’t have a title sponsor. Thankfully Honda will fix that next year, and if McLaren do well at the start of 2014 they might attract another new big sponsor.

• Optimaximal (@optimaximal) said on 13th March 2014, 7:28

Ron Dennis has already stated that their title sponsor for the rest of the year will come in a few races time.

• JerseyF1 (@jerseyf1) said on 13th March 2014, 9:03

…and Whitmarsh stated that they would announce their new title sponsor on 2 December 2013….oh, wait a minute?!?

@optimaximal

• Richard Howson said on 13th March 2014, 11:10

They did have a title sponsor in place. The issue was that said sponsor thought they would try and renegotiate the the terms of the deal, given McLaren’ poor showing last season. They obviously didn’t bank on Ron saying, screw you we will go without you and look elsewhere.

• MemorableC (@memorablec) said on 13th March 2014, 18:28

And that probably fell through when they dropped Perez.

14. BrawnGP said on 13th March 2014, 6:54

I think its a shame that there are so many teams now and yet so few different colours. The grid looks bland with most teams using similar colours, even the iconic red Ferrari had alot of black on it now. Id love to see a yellow back or a lime green… or even a bright pink just to change things up a bit!

15. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 13th March 2014, 7:19

It looks like a generic livery that someone would use to represent McLaren in an unofficial and unlicensed F1 video game.

1 2 3