McLaren reveal livery for Australian Grand Prix

2014 Australian Grand Prix

McLaren livery, 2014 Australian Grand PrixMcLaren have revealed the colour scheme they will use for the first race weekend of the season in Australia, having used an interim livery during testing.

The team will use the livery to mark 20 years of support from sponsor Mobil 1.

“We are privileged to have worked closely with ExxonMobil over a very successful 20 years and counting,” said chief operating officer and acting CEO Jonathan Neale.

“During 332 races together we have achieved four world championships, 78 wins, 229 podium finishes and 76 pole positions, which is testament to our powerful technology partnership. Seeing the Mobil fuels branding alongside Mobil 1 on the MP-4 29 is a great recognition of the relationship’s contribution to performance over our two decades together.”

McLaren are without a title sponsor this year following the departure of Vodafone at the end of last season. Last week McLaren Group CEO Ron Dennis said he expects to have a replacement in place “in the new few events”.

2014 Australian Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Australian Grand Prix articles

Image © McLaren

99 comments on McLaren reveal livery for Australian Grand Prix

1. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 13th March 2014, 15:25

Well, meh.

2. Cyclops_PL (@cyclops_pl) said on 13th March 2014, 15:44

Why It couldn’t have been orange?

3. Royal-Spark (@royal-spark) said on 13th March 2014, 16:14

I will greatly miss the orangey-red stripes. Especially on the nose tip.

4. KaIIe (@kaiie) said on 13th March 2014, 16:21

So, where are all the sponsors?

5. Fixy (@fixy) said on 13th March 2014, 16:27

I had to look back at the testing livery as I couldn’t remember the differences, though I knew it looked better. The black now more clearly reminds me of the late 90s and early 2000s McLarens, though I must say I rather liked the chrome testing livery to this black one.

6. Chuck Lantz said on 13th March 2014, 18:34

Nice that they took the color-blind into consideration. On a more semi-serious note, I’m a sports photographer, and the old McLaren electric orange drove most photographers absolutely nuts, especially when we all went digital, since even the high-end cameras had a hard time capturing that color without having it blow-out. (I use a Foveon sensor, so no problems.)

7. US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 13th March 2014, 20:56

It’s certainly an improvement, but why are they still running the chrome at all when there is a full fledged factory Silver Arrows team? Could’ve been much better if they had gone with something orange. If this is a one-off livery just for this race though maybe there will be something else new for Malaysia.

8. Gman said on 14th March 2014, 2:19

A bit basic, but nice for a one-off. I’m more curious as to who the new title sponsor will be!