Montezemolo urges FIA to prevent rules “trickery”

2014 F1 season

Luca di Montezemolo, Ferrari, Finali Mondiali, Mugello, 2013Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo has urged Formula One’s governing body to ensure teams do not exploit any “grey areas” in the new rules.

Writing in a letter to his team’s fans ahead of the new season, Montezemolo said: “Such an important set of changes to the regulations is bringing some grey areas, for example fuel, software, consumption…”

“In these I am fully expecting the FIA to be vigilant – as I’m sure they will be – to avoid any trickery, which has also taken place in the recent past but must not happen any more for the good of this sport.”

Montezemolo added he expects the new season “a difficult championship for the spectators to follow”.

“The drivers will have to take care that they do not wear out the tyres and save fuel,” he said.

“I have already said that I hope they don’t turn into taxi drivers and I say that with the greatest respect to taxi drivers, but they obviously do a different job. I, like all of you, love an extreme Formula One where technology and drivers are always on the limit.”

The Ferrari president said the team have “an intense plan of development” for the year ahead. “The data from the wind tunnel have been confirmed by the track comparisons, something that has not happened in recent years,” he added.

Ahead of the first race of the season Montezemolo said: “I have asked for the highest commitment from Domenicali and his team and I know that they are all doing their best.”

“We have a strong team, the best driver pairing – who are experienced and very talented – and everyone knows what they have to do.”

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image © Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

48 comments on Montezemolo urges FIA to prevent rules “trickery”

1. DaveD (@daved) said on 13th March 2014, 20:28

I think the FIA should weigh decisions on “gray areas” towards whether an innovation they came up with could be used in regular street cars. The whole point of the new regs is to make racing more relevant to the average person by addressing things we deal with today such as efficiency. So why allow some aero-dynamic trick that only works on a specially made car at +300kph when something like a suspension innovation that could work for every day street cars is disallowed? Hey, I personally LOVE the high end aero stuff…just my first love in motor sports.
    But if they’re truly trying to be more relevant, they should truly do that. I hate NASCAR, but the real reason that people in the US like it is because they could “see themselves” doing that. The cars seem relevant to what they do every day….even if they really have NOTHING in common with street cars anymore. But NASCAR capitalizes on that. That is what F1 is trying to do with the efficiency, etc.

My personal preference: Let them turn F1 into rocket cars that can go full speed for every meter for the entire race! :)

• DaveD (@daved) said on 13th March 2014, 20:30

hmmmm, why did it bold everything in my last comment? I didn’t select that??? Oh well.

• Dave (@raceprouk) said on 13th March 2014, 20:48

I think the appeal of NASCAR is more the absolute simplicity of the cars. There’s none of the double-diffuser F-duct mass-damper monkey-seat stuff – just a big V8, rear drive, and a place for the driver to sit.

• DaveD (@daved) said on 13th March 2014, 21:14

Yeah, the popularity of NASCAR still seems strange to me. I’m a redneck American from the Southeast with lots of family members who love it. But I just could not get interested in motor sports until I discovered Formula 1. The cars, the technology, the skill to drive on a real course with turns in all directions and elevation changes, the constructors designing their own vehicles from the ground up “within the framework of the rules”. OK, that last bit is open to interpretation :) but that’s what makes it so great and so innovative.

• Steven (@steevkay) said on 13th March 2014, 21:54

The thing is, I do enjoy NASCAR road races. It’s a bit weird to watch, since the cars appear so cumbersome, and they were not designed with road racing specialty in mind, but I think that’s what makes those particular races fun for me.

I really wish NASCAR was more of an American V8 Supercars or DTM-style series with road courses. Imagine a NASCAR schedule where, in addition to Sonoma and Watkins Glen, we had Road America, Road Atlanta, VIR, Laguna Seca, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Sebring, CoTA… and temporary circuits like Detroit (American muscle in Motown? It’s just… so right!) and Long Beach…

I think how difficult oval racing can be is played down most of the time, but I just don’t find it that engaging to watch. Obviously, many, many people disagree with me, but it’s no big deal, I can get my fix of V8 cars from the Aussies and Germans.

• DaveD (@daved) said on 14th March 2014, 0:31

Yeah, the road races are kind of fun to watch with those big monsters running around the corners LOL

• pxcmerc (@pcxmerc) said on 14th March 2014, 4:57

Yeah, it is strange, I have seen a lot of coworkers drool over NASCAR, talk about going down in an RV and getting drunk with their business associates/friends etc…

I think NASCAR was cool during the ‘days of thunder’ era, but now its just like watching horse racing. I like cornering and braking, not so hot on monster trucks and nascar.

2. Timothy Katz (@timothykatz) said on 13th March 2014, 20:54

Oh dear. Mister Silly Hair is at it again.
    Today he is pretending that Ferrari have joined the church choir because his engineers can’t design a way around the new rules.
    Luca, get a haircut, get real and get on with designing a winning car!

3. HiPn0tIc (@hipn0tic) said on 13th March 2014, 22:13

Mercedes “TyreGate” for sure the target of this conversation, the reults are on sight.

4. Pelican (@pelican) said on 13th March 2014, 22:29

In my experience of taxi drivers, they are pretty hard on accelerator and brake, and don’t at all save fuel or tire wear…

5. maxthecat said on 13th March 2014, 22:55

Unless it’s by Ferrari of course.

6. Mark in Florida said on 14th March 2014, 2:07

In LDM speak it means that if we didn’t think of it you can’t have it. In NASCAR if t aren’t cheating you aren’t trying. Everyone that is trying win treads close to the line of the rules. It’s called innovation LDM maybe Ferrari can come up with some instead of worrying about someone else beating you to the punch.