Fans will ‘get used to sound of new engines’ – teams

2014 Australian Grand Prix

Adrian Sutil, Sauber, Albert Park, 2014F1 team principals believe fans will quickly adjust to the sound of the new Formula One engines.

The first practice sessions featuring the new V6 turbo engines received mixed responses from fans at the track in Melbourne about how the sound of Formula One has changed.

However team principals hold the view that the new sound will gain acceptance.

“Personally I like the sound of the engines,” said Williams deputy team principal Claire Williams.

“But then I love Formula One and I love watching car go round a race track. I think people pretty quickly get used to what Formula One engine sound like. We’ve had so many changes over so many decades of motor racing and you very quickly forget what a previous engine sounds like.”

“I think people just want to see a good race on Sunday and I thin as long as we can deliver that then I think that any issues or contentious conversations around that may fade away.”

Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali agreed with the views put forward by Williams and Mercedes’ motorsport chief Toto Wolff.

Wolff said: “If you like sound of engines let’s go back to V10 and V12s, let’s not do any hybrid. This is a modern technology, this is how road cars go, downsizing is the motto and I think we just accept that the formula has changed.”

“These cars are going to go quicker in a couple of races than the old ones. You’re going to get used to the sounds and I promise next year around you will not notice and not remember any difference any more.”

2014 Australian Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Australian Grand Prix articles

Image © Sauber

100 comments on Fans will ‘get used to sound of new engines’ – teams

1. I was out at Albert Park today and was happily surprised at the sound of the new power unit.

I’d heard the sound bites online from manufacturers last year, then grabs from the testing but actually being there they sound great.

A lot is being lost in what you hear on television. I got home in time to watch P2 (decided I’d try and take my almost 4 year old to her first F1…. Words of advice – don’t!) and the sound was very different.

There you can hear the whine of the turbo as they pull out of corners, the odd new noises of the regenerative breaking….. I love it.

Sure its different but don’t knock it until you’ve actually been 20m away from one.

2. OneBHK (@onebhk) said on 14th March 2014, 9:38

@keithcollantine : Did we have a vote on the engine sound already, if not this would be a good time/

3. Ludwig_M said on 14th March 2014, 9:44

I watched FP2 this morning and I actually quite like the sound of the V6 turbo, it sounds much more guttural and ‘beast-like’, instead of that annoying, whining sound of the V8. More of a grunt, instead of a scream, to put it in Heavy Metal terms…

4. Evan said on 14th March 2014, 9:46

I am an avid f1 fan so naturally looking forward to watching the season on TV. However the trackside atmosphere is severely diminished with the lack of sound, we used to hear these cars suburbs away and get excited, today that feeling was missing. We will be forced to adjust as we love the sport, but for a lot of the attendees that are not die hard, the events may struggle to pull crowds, all day I heard people being bored, not entertained and wondering why they had spent the money to see this show. The best thing was the fly over by the fighter jet with its amazing sound, and I could not help but wondered how much less exciting it would be if it too were quiet.

5. Justin (@kogll) said on 14th March 2014, 9:48

i hope they adjust the sounds for quail and the race. They need to drop the volume of the commentators and up the volume of the cars. I didn’t think the mice were working track side at first when i was watching practice

6. CashNotClass (@cashnotclass) said on 14th March 2014, 10:07

Fair enough, they just need to be careful the new sound people get used to isn’t the sound made by engines in other racing championships.

All joking aside, I’ll reserve judgement on these new engines until after the race, but what I’ve heard so far doesn’t really impress me. Having watched a few F1 races of previous years over the winter, though, the sound of F1 has always been subject to change – so nothing new in that regard. I’m sure people watching F1 will indeed get used to it.

• Drexel said on 18th March 2014, 3:20

I agree the F1 sound has always changed marginally from year to year, but it has always been an unmistakably F1 sound. This year however after being trackside on the weekend, I would argue these things sound exactly nothing like an F1 car.

Could not be more disappointed and I disagree, I will not get used to it. Having been a big F1 fan for many years I would not waste my money attending an event with exactly zero atmosphere. I’d rather watch on tv and see the event in detail.

7. P5ycH0 said on 14th March 2014, 10:10

Watched the FP2 this morning. It sounded like a superbike race to me.
    And that’s NOT a compliment.

8. kikk (@kikk) said on 14th March 2014, 11:10

There is something which it’s not right. I don’t mind the turbo sound, i like it very much, but the one from the 80′s. The sound of the new engines is quite good, i won’t miss the high pitch, but it’s not loud (the roar is missing) and that’s not acceptable.

McLaren MP4/4
    Turbo 2014

9. F1Novice said on 14th March 2014, 11:26

I was at some of the tests this year and was totally underwhelmed by the new sound levels :( . Although not so straight forward, there is away sound levels could be increased – The predominant reason the new engines are much quieter is because there is a single exhaust pipe with the Turbo “fan” in the middle of it being powered by the exhaust gasses before they are chucked out the back. The engine part of the Power Unit is still a “V” configuration – it would be possible with some engineering tweaks to revert back to a twin exhaust configuration with one of them powering the turbo and the other a straight through “non-turbo turning” pipe straight out the back above the other exhaust pipe – then increase the revs a little and you won’t be far off the db’s of last years cars.

• MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 14th March 2014, 12:24

I have never heard of a worse suggestion. Firstly, that would be a woefully inefficient way to configure an engine, seconds it would but the engine way out of balance and cause running problems. Thirdly, you’d be losing half of the energy you’re putting into the turbocharger in order to generate more noise.

Noise – energy being wasted. The energy which used to make a load of noise around the track is now being recycled into the turborcharchers and makes the cars faster.

No engineer in the world would ever want to compromise efficiency in such a pointless pursuit of noise. Nothing is broken here – you have a very vocal minority making a big noise (arf) about how they don’t like the change, whereas the majority of educated people understand the reason for change and actually enjoy the new sound.

• F1Novice said on 14th March 2014, 22:38

Unbalanced assumes you have assumed that you have one one bank of the “V” for the turbo and one for noise……. there’s nothing tosay you couldn’t have rear two cylinders (one each side ) exhausted into a “turbo’d exhaust and the other front 4…… 2 each side into 2nd exhaust with no turbo in it….. Sort the firing order out correctly and it would still be balanced and I reckon the two turning the turbo could still generate enough energy to spin the turbo up enough to create enough boost to achieve parity with what they have now – the boost they are creating now is minuscule to Keke Rosbergs (still) Silverstone lap record setting 1500bhp Williams-Honda from 1985 (160mph average) – they have plenty in reserve if they want it so could use it if they so wished to compensate for a small amount that would be lost to “sound” energŷ as you put it – I know which I would prefer…. Not sure how you get to the reckoning that it is a minority who are against the quiter cars – what information are you basing those figures on ? I would like to analyse them and the source 95% of those I spoke to over 4 days @ winter testing said they thought the cars are now too quiet.

Here’s 2 tweets from Martin Brundle just today……. Gotta say I agree with him.

@MBrundleF1: I like the sound of the new engines there just not enough of it, turbos strangle it. ‘Noses’ and ‘noise’ on the to-do list for 2015 please.

@MBrundleF1: People don’t always know what they want but do know what they like,e.g the iPad. And fans don’t like the sound of F1 2014, we need to fix it

10. Torg22 said on 14th March 2014, 11:39

Not that I have been to an F1 race recently but the thing that always struck me when I was attending was the immense sound that the cars made. Was like nothing else I have ever witnessed and something that I 100% associated with F1.

I was watching P2 on TV this morning and the cars sound awful on TV and on-board cameras, very quiet and uninspiring and I cant stand the way the engines do not rev at all. You could now easily confuse the sound they let off with any other lesser formula. Has totally taken something away from F1 that I have come to love over the years. Disappointed to say the least.

11. nathan said on 14th March 2014, 11:45

Harley Davidson trademarked their “noise” in 1994. If only F1 recognised the value of a distinctive – and much loved – sound.

12. OneBHK (@onebhk) said on 14th March 2014, 12:43

Wolf should listen to his own teams before he speaks of fans getting used to the sound. Lewis himself said he did not like the sound of the V6s.

13. marcus hand (@wombat1m) said on 14th March 2014, 12:48

Was at Albert Park this morning for most of FP1 & 2, at close range (trackside) they sound ok and its quite interesting to actually be able to tyre squeal on lock-ups etc. However, its just lacks that sense of enormous power that the noise of the V8′s gave off. From a further distance wandering around the circuit they sound mightily unimpressive, reminded me of lawnmowers, my wife said they sounded like trucks…

14. Martin said on 14th March 2014, 18:27

I think it is horrible. FIA did not develop F1 they are killing it. Come on guys. The top class in motorsports driving a 1.6 litre V6 which sounds like a sewing machine on wheels, or a vacuum cleaner. It is realy a shame. I even do not want to talk about some rule chanches. I am watching F1 since I 37 years and for me sound is very important. Thank god I was able to hear the fantastic V12 machines. This hear is not F1, thats F-0.1. Next year they are going to race with electric cars or what?

15. Alan Miller said on 14th March 2014, 19:03

I didn’t like the sound of the new engines very much. However halfway through the second practice session I stopped noticing and got on with what I do every race weekend. One eye on the TV and the other on live timing. So in other words, I don’t like it but it didn’t send me screaming to the other side of the continent.