Fans will ‘get used to sound of new engines’ – teams

2014 Australian Grand Prix

Adrian Sutil, Sauber, Albert Park, 2014F1 team principals believe fans will quickly adjust to the sound of the new Formula One engines.

The first practice sessions featuring the new V6 turbo engines received mixed responses from fans at the track in Melbourne about how the sound of Formula One has changed.

However team principals hold the view that the new sound will gain acceptance.

“Personally I like the sound of the engines,” said Williams deputy team principal Claire Williams.

“But then I love Formula One and I love watching car go round a race track. I think people pretty quickly get used to what Formula One engine sound like. We’ve had so many changes over so many decades of motor racing and you very quickly forget what a previous engine sounds like.”

“I think people just want to see a good race on Sunday and I thin as long as we can deliver that then I think that any issues or contentious conversations around that may fade away.”

Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali agreed with the views put forward by Williams and Mercedes’ motorsport chief Toto Wolff.

Wolff said: “If you like sound of engines let’s go back to V10 and V12s, let’s not do any hybrid. This is a modern technology, this is how road cars go, downsizing is the motto and I think we just accept that the formula has changed.”

“These cars are going to go quicker in a couple of races than the old ones. You’re going to get used to the sounds and I promise next year around you will not notice and not remember any difference any more.”

2014 Australian Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Australian Grand Prix articles

Image © Sauber

100 comments on Fans will ‘get used to sound of new engines’ – teams

1. Getitorregretit said on 15th March 2014, 11:46

Today I watched a Volvo on a racetrack and it offered more excitement than the F1. To quote “the fans will get used to it” is saddening to me. I have grown up with F1, as a kid I watched the likes of Hunt, as I got older heroes were replaced by Sienna and the like. F1 should be raw, frightening and awe inspiring to watch. Today it was quiet, slow and boring. I hate the gelding of this sport, I never thought I would actually see the point at which F1 lost its mojo.
    I truely hope The FIA step back, take a look at what F1 is supposed to be and bring it back.

2. Ron Chelednik said on 15th March 2014, 23:07

Having a high definition TV flat screen with a Bose surround sound it was enjoyable to watch Formula One with it’s nothing like it on earth sounds of that engineering marvel. Now after P2 I didn’t even bother to now watch qualifying. I was looking forward to to get airfare and tickets to Texas but not now. I might as well pull my front teeth out and watch NASCAR.

3. Todd said on 16th March 2014, 1:16

I used to enjoy sitting up watching the F1 on the TV. With the sound of these new cars that will no longer be happening. I am switching off to F1. Again all the other changes to the cars is just making the sport pathetic. A Prius may have more technology, but that does not make it better. Has the FIA been taken over by The Greens Party. I am watching something else on TV this weekend.

• F1Novice said on 17th March 2014, 8:00

First and foremost I do not like the “level” of the new noise of F12014… Neither on TV nor when I attended preseason testing in Jerez. I too watched the race from Melbourne on TV – although I live in Spain I receive and wTch the races on SKYSPORTS F1 HD which also transmits the sound in Dolby Digital 5.1 ……what I have noticed is that when watched just through the TV without Cinema Sound amp and speakers on all the sound channels are mixed into just two – when you watch with Cinema Sound Equipment turned on, the commentary is only through the centre speaker and the Car/track noises though the remaining 4 plus the Subwoofer – I turned off the middle speaker and wacked up the volume on the rest and was quite happily immersed and nicely surprised in fantastic sounds and noises and at a really decent level ( you still hear the commentary but at much better balanced levels)….. The problem is not so much with the sounds/noise but more the level/volume of those noises….. For TV viewers FOM can fix things a little by getting a bit more creative with the “World Feed” and make adjustments on the sound mixing desk to ramp up certain frequencies better….. The broadcasters can also help by lowering the commentators sound channel and allow more of the trackside sounds through.
      SKY at least in UK seem to have their commentary sound channel way to high which all but drowns out the cars….. I don’t mind Crofty (would have preferred Ben Edwards a la BBC) but he’s just a little too loud at the moment (Obviously this isn’t going to fix things trackside but after these minor adjustments I was quite satisfied whilst watching yesterday.

I think there is potential to fix it trackside too – it’s a radical fix – but possible I reckon – go back to page 2 of these comments I posted it earlier there.

4. Cunning Linguist said on 16th March 2014, 14:59

Go back to 2005 specs and stop destroying F1.

5. Greg said on 16th March 2014, 17:27

I wasn’t concentrating on the visual at the start and only heard the sound. I thought I’d tuned into the wrong race and had got the Smart Car final, as that’s what it sounded like! 20+ Smart Cars going around..

6. I was at the first test session in Jerez last month and while they didn’t rev as high as the V8’s, there was no mistaking they were F1’s.
    The Sky TV coverage of the race seemed to kill off the noise, so they’ll need to do something with their microphones.
    Compared to the turbo charged F1 cars in the eighties, the new ones sound great.

7. Don Spiro said on 17th March 2014, 22:50

I spent a decade each October at Watkins Glen; sounds in the 70’s were one of the primary reasons we made the pilgrimage. DFV’s, Ferrari Flat 12’s, those glorious Matra 12’s that literally left you speechless; distinct aural personalities. 33 years later we made the trip to Montreal to hear V-8’s before they went away, it was phenomenal to see and HEAR how F1 had evolved though not much difference between manufacturers songs. I suspect it will be just as special when we go again this June. Broadcaster on Skype at Bahrain testing ( his name escapes me) gave an optimistic report when he said, ” it’s not better, it’s not worse, it’s different”. There is nothing like Formula One!

8. Mike said on 21st March 2014, 3:31

Very disappointed! Sad day for f1 fans.

9. B. Button said on 23rd March 2014, 17:09

HEY !!! I’ve finally figured out what the 2014 F1 cars sound like … the “light bikes” in the movie TRON !!!

10. The sound is so bad. It kills the sport. The cars will sound like crap coming through the tunnel of Monaco. Change is not always for the best. The sound was unmistakable. A bunch of my friends didn’t even watch this past week because they were so turned off by last week’s race. F1 is about the sound. This year’s sound is the equivalent of the year Champ series got split by the creation of IRL. They had Oldsmobile Aurora engines and they sounded awful as do this year’s F1. Go to YouTube and you will find what I say is the truth. This a bad move drivers and all who live F1 think it so……………….MAM

11. Rene said on 31st March 2014, 17:42

When I think of my first F1 race experience live in Sepang 13 years ago, it is the engine sound that comes first to my mind. 3l V10, 19000 rpm. I felt instantly rewarded for the ticket price. Yes, I truly felt that I had paid to experience something special here. Since then I visited many races around the globe and every time I arrived at the circuit, it was the sound of engines revving in the pits telling me already from far that something special is about to happen. What I have heard so far of F1 2014 on TV is in this respect very disappointing but exactly what I expected. In my view a ticket price of GBP 500+ does not go well with 1.6l engines which sound like motorcycles and I am worried what I am going to miss the start in three weeks at the China GP live.