2014 Australian Grand Prix result

19 Felipe Massa Williams-Mercedes 0 57 laps 1 lap Accident
10 Kamui Kobayashi Caterham-Renault 0 57 laps 0.000 Accident
3 Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull-Renault 57 Disqualified

Image © Daimler/Hoch Zwei

56 comments on 2014 Australian Grand Prix result

1. Psychotext (@textuality) said on 16th March 2014, 9:07

Found the race pretty boring, but I’m pretty happy with the end result. Rosberg will need those points as a buffer against team orders, and Danny / Kev did exceptionally well.

2. Yoshitsune (@yobo01) said on 16th March 2014, 9:08

Just a thought:
    Ricciardo. Everyone was so convinced that they hired him only because he was already in the Red Bull family and because they didn’t want to put a champion alongside Vettel. But look at him, first race, great qualifying and straight into the podium, even after a very challenging winter.
    Magnussen. Mclaren took a very big risk, it’s always difficult to have a rookie in a top team, especially with very little testing. But he put his car on the podium in his debut, impressive performance.
    Finally, Kvyat. It was a surprising choice by Toro Rosso, everyone expected Da Costa to be there. So a lot of people thought that Kvyat was a paydriver or just that it was a PR move, because we are going to have the first Russian GP this year. Not only he won the GP3 championship soon after the announcement, but he also scored points in his first GP, becoming the youngest driver to do so.

Very impressed by these three guys.

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 16th March 2014, 9:22

Ricciardo really, really impressed me. His race pace and consistency was very convincing – absolutely no mistakes the whole weekend, unlike even Räikkönen (who was touted as a potential replacement for Webber).

And irrespective of his driving, I am really endearing to him. I have always liked Ricciardo (he has been in my top 5 favourite drivers from the begining), but he may even be my second favourite behind…well, I’ll give you one guess. ;)

3. Palle (@palle) said on 16th March 2014, 9:17

Very exciting race, even with the premature exits of Lewis, Sebastian and Felipe, but it wasn’t as massive an amount of DNF’s as feared. The DRS was on a good level today, not too effective I think. But the fuel saving did ruin flat out racing and made an anti-climax out of the duel between Daniel and Kevin at the end of the race. But ok, fair enough that the driver who’s package and driving conserves the most fuel has energy to fight to the end. Button was even more impressed with Kevin’s performance during qualifying in the wet, than he was with his podium in his first race. But this race bodes well for the future of young drivers Daniel, Kevin, Bottas and Kvyat.

4. Paul2013 said on 16th March 2014, 9:50

And the driver of the weekend is THE FOUR TIMES F1 CHAMPION (driving a motor while the rest of drivers had just a bike) SEBASTIAN VETTEL! The one who was told to be the best, the one who qualified 12 and did not even see his partner on the race….

Today I am VERY MAPPY, today everybody knwos the real level of SEB. Without the car advantage CERO!

5. Lars Oestergaard said on 16th March 2014, 13:22

Great race. The Championship is open and there are several drivers who challenge the status quo. Kevin Magnussen showed his extreme talent from day one. He has speed, he has discipline and he has a good team around him. Bottas and good old Button climbed the ranks impressively during the race. Eventhough Button is only the second best driver at McLaren, he is still a great and very complete driver. If anyone still disregard Magnussen as a F1 top 3 contender they will have to change their mind as the season progress.

6. sato113 (@sato113) said on 16th March 2014, 13:53

meh boring

7. lanciajet said on 16th March 2014, 17:30

What a shambles. false start with one car breaking down on the grid, then another breaks down. Hamilton’s car not running properly from the start then retiring. Vettel’s not running right from the start then retiring Poor old Kimi’s car not running right with the brakes locking up. Then 2nd place Red Bull excluded for technical infringements. despite the BBC team trying to make it seem interesting I would think the BBC are wringing there hands at saving a shed load of money by losing half the TV rights to Sky. I want to watch balls out racers like Hamilton, Alonso and Kimi battling for the win with cutting edge mechanical Technology. If i wanted to watch a battle of software computer geeks I can watch the playstation wars on motors TV.
    Lets face it any fuel saved for the tree-huggers in the whole weekend was at least doubly thrown away by the Australian Air Forces Fly pasts. Touring Cars and Nascar here I come. I don’t think I will bother to watch many more Fiasco’s like this and neither I suspect will many others. Todd and Bernie have shot themselves in the foot.

8. Don’t worry Lewis. These things happen for a reason.

9. Fred Stocking (@fstocking) said on 17th March 2014, 20:01

I miss the open wheels where the drivers had to shift use clutches and race. This is getting to be more like a souped up Prius deal. I don’t care about fuel flow, I’m not going to the supermarket and back this is racing. Australian V8 is sounding more appealing. I was disappointed by the race and my expectations weren’t very high.