Nico Rosberg said Mercedes made a “perfect start to the season” but must keep improving their car to keep their rivals behind.
“It’s been really an amazing day,” said Rosberg after winning the Australian Grand Prix by over 24 seconds. “I’m just over the moon really it’s incredible.”
“Everybody’s worked so hard over the winter and now to have such an amazing Silver Arrow to drive, it’s just unreal. Unbelievably quick today, the reliability was good also, it’s just the perfect start to the season. I’m really thankful to Mercedes, they’ve done an incredible job over the winter.”
Rosberg said the next step for the team was to “definitely evaluate everything that we’ve learned now from this weekend because for sure there’s some way to go – we still can improve a lot.”
“And we must, because the competitors aren’t going to be asleep, definitely, they’re gong to try and catch up quickly.
“Learn as much, improve the car – go on holiday a bit next week – and then get ready for Malaysia.”
2014 Australian Grand Prix
- The FIA’s verdict rejecting Red Bull’s appeal in full
- Red Bull’s own measurements showed Ricciardo’s car was illegal – FIA
- Red Bull lose appeal against Ricciardo’s Australian Grand Prix disqualification
- Magnussen wins Driver of the Weekend vote on debut
- Losing podium better than retiring – Ricciardo
Image © Daimler/Hoch Zwei