Rate the race: 2014 Australian Grand Prix

2014 Australian Grand Prix

Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, Albert Park, 2014

What did you think of today’s race? Share your verdict on the Australian Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2014 Australian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (2%)
  • 2 (1%)
  • 3 (2%)
  • 4 (4%)
  • 5 (7%)
  • 6 (14%)
  • 7 (33%)
  • 8 (26%)
  • 9 (8%)
  • 10 (3%)

Total Voters: 1,014

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

You need an F1 Fanatic account to vote. Register an account here or read more about registering here. When this poll is closed the result will be displayed instead of the voting form.

See the results for past seasons here:

2014 Australian Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Australian Grand Prix articles

Image © Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

236 comments on Rate the race: 2014 Australian Grand Prix

1 2 3 6
  1. sushant008 (@sushant008) said on 16th March 2014, 7:40

First half was exciting.Second half was a bit boring IMO. 7/10 from me.

• That’s not NASCAR mate, it’s F1 and it was a brilliant first race with the new regulations. Loved it, my wife too, even the cat is standing next to the TV.

• dkpioe said on 16th March 2014, 7:47

Nascar is great too… Mate

• Mark Hitchcock (@mark-hitchcock) said on 16th March 2014, 7:51

What was brilliant about it? Very little wheel-to-wheel racing, very little strategic variety, and worst of all barely any tension.
        Lets hope that if Ham, Vettel and Massa make it further into the next race there might be a bit more excitement.

• Marussi (@marussi) said on 16th March 2014, 7:54

Bottas drive after he hit the wall, Kevins Podium, Rickis brilliant drive :)

• Morty Vicar (@mortyvicar) said on 16th March 2014, 7:55

Very little wheel to wheel racing? Did you sleep during Valtteri Bottas’ 2 runs through the field? Or the battle between Alonso and Hulkenberg?

• Mark Hitchcock (@mark-hitchcock) said on 16th March 2014, 8:02

Learn the difference between “very little” and “none”. Bottas’ run through the field was exciting but for most of the race the other drivers were following each other around either unable or unwilling to make any moves.

• carldec (@carldec) said on 16th March 2014, 9:51

seriously? as other mentioned, bottas was amazing… but we had a great start, mag and rick at the end, lots of brilliant saves and some interesting kablamo’s.

Perhaps this is just not your sport, sport.

• spoutnik (@spoutnik) said on 17th March 2014, 10:13

@mortyvicar

Or the battle between Alonso and Hulkenberg?

What battle? Alonso didn’t even try to pass him, waited for the tyre change window to pass him, and both lost a place in the process to the clever Button. The top 5 barely changed during the whole race. A nice race, but can’t give it more than 7/10 too.

• Mark Hitchcock (@mark-hitchcock) said on 17th March 2014, 11:43

@carldec You’re right, maybe I’ve been watching the wrong sport for the last 15 years. Thanks for enlightening me.

There have been so many more exciting and interesting races than this one, I think some people might be over-rating it because we’ve been waiting all winter for the start of the season and any F1 is better than no F1.

There were some interesting moments as you say, but no-one will remember this race for it’s exciting racing. The only reason it will be remembered is because of the unusual podium, RIC’s disqualification, and the fact that it was the first in a new era.

• Morty Vicar (@mortyvicar) said on 17th March 2014, 16:33

@spoutnik how can you not have any appreciation for the race between Alonso and Hulkenberg? Hulk was on the edge and forced into a couple of errors. It was pretty thrilling. Maybe you actually have to have raced on track to appreciate it.

@mark-hitchcock this is the first race of a brand new formula. Of course it’s going to be remembered mostly for the way the sport has been radically altered since the previous era. If we had continued with the 2013 formula it would have been remembered for how Vettel took his Alberto Ascari-record-breaking 10th victory in a row and sailed off into the distance as usual. It’ll probably be commemorated as the beginning of the Mercedes era, and the end of the Red Bull era.

That doesn’t detract from the fact that there was some thrilling racing and on-the-limit car control. Some of the saves from snap-oversteer alone were worth watching the race for. I’ll probably remember it for Bottas going wheel-to-wheel around the outside of Raïkönnen and getting the place. The new formula has definitely spiced up racing and car-control.

FWIW, I gave the race an 8. The last 20 laps became a bit processional but what F1 race in the past 15 years hasn’t suffered that fate?

• Mark Hitchcock (@mark-hitchcock) said on 17th March 2014, 18:09

@mortyvicar I enjoyed all the things you’ve mentioned (especially how the cars seem much harder to control), but despite that I don’t agree that it was a particularly exciting or interesting race.
            Maybe I’m just too difficult to please. But I do think many of the races in the coming season will eclipse this one in terms or racing, tension and strategy.

Glad you enjoyed it though!

• Morty Vicar (@mortyvicar) said on 17th March 2014, 18:36

@mark-hitchcock my F1 palate has definitely been a bit jaded over the 2000s. The pinnacle of F1 for me was the Prost-Senna-Mansell era of the late 80s-early 90s and whatever brings back anything like that level of struggle with car and adversary I see as a good thing. Of course that was before Senna passed and before F1 became somewhat anodyne, not that I’m arguing for increased danger in F1.

• melkurion (@melkurion) said on 16th March 2014, 8:25

little wheel to wheel racing?? did you not see bottas cut through the field…twice?

• Mark Hitchcock (@mark-hitchcock) said on 16th March 2014, 8:31

One driver cutting through the field does not equal lots of wheel to wheel racing when the 13 other cars on track are largely playing follow-the-leader.

• Gazzaguru said on 16th March 2014, 8:36

Agree – one driver making a few passes doesn’t make for an exciting race at all. Quite disappointed with the excitement of the race overall.
            Main positives been the great performances by the rookies – Magnussen and Kyat; and the polished drive of Ricciardo.

• GB (@bgp001ruled) said on 16th March 2014, 19:06

well, bottas was the only one that really fought! he was great. also nicos drive, rics and mags race were great. but the actual race (with the said exception of bottAs) was boring! 6/10

• Paul (@frankjaeger) said on 16th March 2014, 17:11

@mark-hitchcock I’m with Mark here. I enjoyed the race and as 7’s go, it’s a high seven but I think due to a high number of DNF’s we didn’t see as much wheel to wheel as there potentially could have been. Even with the number of people out there it wasn’t as exciting as I was hoping, but don’t get me wrong Kevin’s debut podium winning drive & Ricciardo’s home 2nd, uncertainty in the field and Bottas attacks were great.

I remember great races and this was not one of them. If a 10 is a relentless, stimulating watch, this gets a 7

• gunusugeh (@gunusugeh) said on 16th March 2014, 12:45

+1 for your cat :)

• Strontium (@strontium) said on 16th March 2014, 7:51

Completely agree, but even in the end there was some close action so I decided to bump mine up to a kind 8.

• PJ (@pjtierney) said on 16th March 2014, 8:03

Exciting start, kind of lulled down in the middle, and there were some good drives out there.

7/10 seems fair to me.

• fractal (@fractal) said on 16th March 2014, 8:13

Well… i felt exactly same rating.. although i give+1 just 4 my <3 4 f1…

A few tho8s…2014 is Mercz year to lose…but for mismanagement… or technical glitches…
      RBR r champions 4 seasons in succession 4 a reason… they r going to be a damn force thru later half of season…so 2014 is going to be pretty alive all the way out to the end
      Williams so strong… n first half is going to be theirs to lose… keeping aside Mercs….but for driver errors.. mismanagement.. etc
      Mclaren s going to be there and thereabout….. and r in the top mix this season… which is not surprising from winter testing..
      Ferrari is going to be same boring team… always putting lot of resource and not getting anywhere…near what they were supposed to deliver…. its really a big shame … for them not to have any consecutive pole positions for such long long time… not to mention their race pace.. etc…

i got a feeling that 2days podium is full of future prodigies for sure…
      DR indeed surprised me.. i nvr expected that… from him… he s so fresh… n gr8 deli8 to see him smile every time… n gives such a +ve vibe… to all arnd..
      KM delivered what is expected… McL simply r not stupid to put a fresher… reasoning with the likes of LM.. & hw v all rate him… KM s a future champion 4 sure.. brilliant stuff

Phenomenal start from NR… although none give him credit in the commentary.. sorry for LM & SV… but understandable.. it cud happen to any1 else .. in coming races… thru out 2014
      Sorry 4 FM.. Pity on VB… shud hav come second.. shame on those errors…

• Baron (@baron) said on 16th March 2014, 8:52

@fractal Sorry, what are you saying? I don’t understand your writing. Are you texting your Mum?

• carlos said on 16th March 2014, 12:33

w d’t y und..or whatver language the 12 year used..lol

• fractal (@fractal) said on 16th March 2014, 16:18

Excuse me. I did not intended to write a journal here. If you cant understand, just ignore it. No big deal :)

• CeeVee (@ceevee) said on 16th March 2014, 17:52

Fractal english perhaps. If you can’t be bothered to use proper English grammar then don’t expect too many people to bother reading your juvenile scribbles.

• Lotus49 (@lotus49) said on 16th March 2014, 9:08

`Sorry son but there are adults on here that do not do txtspk. At least post your comments in English so that we can all understand and disagree!

• David (@nvherman) said on 16th March 2014, 12:59

Next time you post in a forum that’s aimed at grown ups, please post in at least a passable attempt at English.

I suspect English is your first language and you just very foolishly assume that everyone wants to read posts written in txt-speak.

• kpcart said on 16th March 2014, 15:44

is this forum aimed at grown ups? I thought its aimed at f1 fans, no matter their maturity. I don’t read txt-speak, but its easy enough to follow. his/her opinion is just as valid as yours.

• David (@nvherman) said on 16th March 2014, 15:49

It is aimed at F1 fans, most of whom are grown ups.

I’m afraid txt speak is just too hard to read for most people, and it shouldn’t be used.

There’s no character limit in these posts, so type the whole word or don’t bother posting.

• fractal (@fractal) said on 16th March 2014, 16:16

Well, English is not my first language like u presumed
          I just shared my tho8s and I am just too lazy to type in full words.
          Sorry for that.

• Kyle Fleet (@watchkyle) said on 17th March 2014, 15:45

Ignore them. I think alot of your points were spot on and to be honest I couldn’t post something of such depth in any other language. You’re opinion was appreciated and keep posting! Even if it is just to annoy the grammar Nazis.

• spoutnik (@spoutnik) said on 18th March 2014, 8:37

@watchkyle Gotcha! You earned a well deserved point.

• DC (@dujedcv) said on 16th March 2014, 8:24

Does anyone realize that this is the first time since 2009 German GP that there was no world champion on the podium?

• gazzaguru said on 16th March 2014, 17:18

Looks like the average is going to be below 7 – so would be considered one of the more boring races compared to previous years.

• Mack said on 17th March 2014, 19:58

Maybe I watched a different race than some of the others. 3 cars were not on the grid. Only 14 finished ? 20+ secs between 1st & 2nd ? But I was glad to see Williams score. Yet my real complaint is
      that these cars sound terrible. People pay or watch on TV because they want to hear angry high horsepower motors. What we have now is downright pathetic. I have been to Europe, Canada, and USA but I will never pay to see these cars run. In my view, FIA has ruined F1. So I’ll go to sports car races and hear the Cadillac CTS-V coupe run. Now there is a car whose sound will blow your hair back!

2. MalO (@) said on 16th March 2014, 7:41

Decent start to the season I think

3. Morty Vicar (@mortyvicar) said on 16th March 2014, 7:43

What a great race, very exciting. Even better is the crop of new (and not so new) young drivers: Magnussen, Kvyat, Ricciardo, Bottas. My man of the match was Bottas. Congratulations to Nico Rosberg: Mercedes is the new Red Bull it seems. Thrilling racing from Magnussen. Bad luck to Kobayashi and Massa. Ron Dennis must be feeling good and consequently Martin Whitmarsh is probably sick as the proverbial chip somewhere.

• Marussi (@marussi) said on 16th March 2014, 7:55

you mean silliy rookie mistake from kobayashi

• Morty Vicar (@mortyvicar) said on 16th March 2014, 7:57

We don’t know if it’s driver error or brake-by-wire/other car issue yet. Kobayashi took the blame already but it could have been mechanical. I like Kobayashi and want to see both him and Caterham doing better than this. I also think Massa has a good chance this season and it was sad to see him taken out at the first corner.

• Marussi (@marussi) said on 16th March 2014, 8:13

i agree that it is a shame, i want to see what my fellow swede can do against Koba. but we will see in Malaysia ^^

• Mach1 (@mach1) said on 16th March 2014, 8:47

@marussi

Apparently ERS failed, so he only had front breaks.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 16th March 2014, 12:54

I rated it better than average for the racing (6) + 1 extra for technical interest so 7 from me trying to be consistent with my rule of 5=Average.

4. TMF (@tmf42) said on 16th March 2014, 7:43

I was rather disappointed – for sure HAMs retirement took a lot of excitement out of the race, so I hope better races will follow. But overall it felt pretty predictable after the dust settled.

• D (@f190) said on 16th March 2014, 8:04

Fully agree. It would have been great to see a Hamilton Vs Rosberg battle. It looks like the Mercedes is going to dominate for a few races, and without a battle for the lead the races do lose some excitement.

I’m no Vettel fan, but it would have been great to see how he got through the pack. Same with Massa, the car showed good pace with Bottas, so I wonder where he would have been. And again shame Bottas clipped the wall becuase I think he would have had the pace to challenge k-mag and possibly Ricciardo. But hey, that’s racing. I feel we’ve had some answers now, but there’s still many more to come yet.

Overall a good opener, no thriller, and there’s still some big questions left open.

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 16th March 2014, 8:40

I feel a bit the same about the race as the two of you @tmf42, @f190, it wasn’t a bad race, glad F1 has started again, might have been better, but I already put my hopes down (sort of expected Vettel to cut through field as HAM had misfortune, ROS maybe a gremlin like last few years etc. Alonso in a not quite up there Ferrair, you know, like it was last few years :p), so this was good;

• Mouse_Nightshirt (@mouse_nightshirt) said on 16th March 2014, 9:51

Big shame – I think a Rosberg/Hamilton battle for the win would have added that extra dimension the race needed.

Awesome start to the season in terms of watching though.

• mnmracer (@mnmracer) said on 16th March 2014, 11:33

Yeah, ‘Rosberg/Hamilton’ and ‘Vettel/11 cars ahead of him’ were the two big fights I was looking forward to.

• kpcart said on 16th March 2014, 15:46

hams retirement made it more exciting for many fans

5. Mackeine Loveine (@cocaine-mackeine) said on 16th March 2014, 7:45

6. For me it was a dreadfull race. The start and the next laps had a drama, while the early exits of Hamilton and Vettel killed the race a bit. The only thing that saves the race from being a 5 is Bottas. Easily the Man Of the Race. I hope all improves in Malaysia.

• Aditya F. Yahya (@adityafakhri) said on 16th March 2014, 8:00

6, but for me not that dreadful. agree on Bottas! what a race from him, unfortunately he kissed the barrier too much. Rosberg being away is what makes me down the rate a little bit.

• Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 16th March 2014, 8:13

6/10 is ‘dreadful’?

• JCost (@jcost) said on 16th March 2014, 8:52

Mercedes is clearly ahead and Lewis having a PU problem prevented us from a proper fight for P1 and it kind takes something away from any race. Even if other struggle to catch Mercedes, they look even behind the Silver Arrows and the fact Lewis scored no points in Australia will guarantee some pushing from his side to catch his team mate (points wise) and fights for P1 in next rounds will improve the spectacle.

Talking about team mates battles, seems to me Alonso will not have as many problems as some anticipated unless Kimi adapts quick, because the Finn is struggling to the point that the most hyped intra-team battle will probably not be the most exciting. I’m expecting more thrilling battles in Mercedes, McLaren, Williams, Red Bull and Toro Rosso.

• Bleeps_and_Tweaks (@bleeps_and_tweaks) said on 16th March 2014, 12:32

I agree that the loss of Hamilton and Vettel totally took the bite out of the race within the first 5 laps. But I wouldn’t say it was dreadful.

What I found weird were the huge gaps between cars within the first 5 laps. By the time we reached the first pit stops etc it closed up a bit, but there were times where Lotus, Sauber, Marussia and Caterham looked they were racing in a different formula.

• Graham (@guitargraham) said on 16th March 2014, 16:45

i went with 6 too. a few points of interest but no real suspense and the winner was never in doubt. there will be better races to come so dont want to give a higher score this early in the season

6. Beto (@chebeto) said on 16th March 2014, 7:46

Great! 10/10 I can’t believeit went so well. Man, these engineers and drivers are just unbelievable people. Such a big change in rules and powertrain and they made a respectable race on the first try. I’m impressed.

7. Mashiat (@) said on 16th March 2014, 7:46

I couldn’t stop cursing the TV every time they had a ad-break. Especially in the first 20 laps!

8. Mr win or lose said on 16th March 2014, 7:47

Big rule changes, but the racing has remained more or less the same. There were some good overtakes, but the winner was once again unchallenged and the sprint to the finish was rather disappointing. The next races will probably be more exiting as fuel saving won’t be as important.

9. I really liked it, perhaps not as good as previous aussie gp’s. shame to miss some of the protagonists. We’ve learned so much even if this track is not going to show everything. I praise McLaren for making the most out of the situation but I fear that there are cars much quicker than them.

10. David Bretz (@cynical) said on 16th March 2014, 7:49

Great race. There was a lot of action throughout the field and the reliability was better than I expected it to be.

11. Zantkiller (@zantkiller) said on 16th March 2014, 7:51

There was a whole season’s worth of excitement forced into the first 15 or so laps.

The latter half was a bit flat but the result was very good.

8/10

12. Ciaran (@ciaran) said on 16th March 2014, 7:51

Some great drives throughout the field today – I’m already convinced Magnussen is world championship material. Can’t wait for Malaysia already!

13. nmsi (@nmsi) said on 16th March 2014, 7:51

mediocre for me. VET&HAM early out meant that challenge for lead was gone and w/o Bottas it would have been just dull.

• LexBlair (@lexblair) said on 16th March 2014, 7:56

HAM, okay. But VET was starting P12, he wasn’t going to be anywhere near the lead anyway..

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 16th March 2014, 9:35

I was a tad disappointed by that, but it did allow Ricciardo and Magnussen to finish on the podium, so it isn’t a massive loss.

But I agree: it would have been nice to see Rosberg challenged by Hamilton and how well Vettel could have recovered.

14. evered7 (@evered7) said on 16th March 2014, 7:52

Loved the unpredictability. Who thought Hamilton and Vettel would retire in the initial laps?

Hope Ferrari can sort out the issue bothering both cars today. Kimi has to come to terms with the car rather quickly. It was disheartening to see him not able to put up a challenge today.

Good Start to the season. I will give a 6.

• Strontium (@strontium) said on 16th March 2014, 11:44

I fear that there were no issues. Just not as fast as we thought :(

• evered7 (@evered7) said on 16th March 2014, 16:59

I don’t think it is the case. Alonso has the third fastest lap of the race and not that far from the Mercs. I feel he just didn’t have enough pace to pass Hulk. If Alonso had been in front, he might have been a lot closer to Kevin than losing a place to Button.

Main issue is if the wind tunnel problem has been rectified.

15. Sam (@) said on 16th March 2014, 7:53

One more breakdown and I had guessed it correct. Great podium (grand slam for Rosberg?). Bottas easily man of the match. Would’ve been on the podium I think if it wasn’t for his stupid mistake.

16. Lin1876 (@lin1876) said on 16th March 2014, 7:53

A pretty comfortable 7 for me. The first half was pretty incredible but it mellowed out after that. Some great battles but not much thrilling racing, though that podium is a popular one. It was an interesting race, if not a thrilling one, that probably raised as many questions as it answered.

17. LexBlair (@lexblair) said on 16th March 2014, 7:53

I can’t be the only one thinking that it was an absolute bore-fest….

The only excitement: Bottas, but even that was kinda ehhh because he was (out of his OWN fault) racing people whose car was much slower…

Nice drive by Button and Rosberg though.

• Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 16th March 2014, 7:59

Nice drive by Button and Rosberg though.

Roseberg yes but Button !!!!He was nowhere until the safety car deployed when he pitted in the perfect timing and then he shortcut Alonso in the pit, i was more impressed by Magnussen

• @tifoso1989 If you see a chance to talk down Button, you go for it it seems. Most races are lost or won in the pit and this time out Button + Mclaren were the lucky ones (safety car) and the smarter ones (pitting Button earlier than the rest of the field).

• LexBlair (@lexblair) said on 16th March 2014, 8:17

Magnussen started 4th, HAM had mechanical problem thus MAG came in 3rd…. Come on, are we impressed with the fact that he didn’t smash into a wall? Is that all what it takes nowadays?…. Nice result really, but I don’t really see nothing special. No real threat to Ric at any point despite having gained a lot of footing in the box…

Button started P10. Was nipped at the start. McLaren had 2 very average pit stop with him(much slower than Alonso’s or Kevin’s), where they actually BROKE OFF the front of HIS NOSE. He drove GREAT laps once he was not impended by somebody to come in 4th, 2-3 seconds behind his team mate who started 6 places in front of him and natural inherited an extra place in the first corner.

18. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 16th March 2014, 7:55

I really liked that! Bit disappointing for Lewis, Seb and Massa, but that was a really fun race.

Mercedes are WAY ahead of everyone else. Good! I love it!
    So happy to see Ricciardo and Magnessun get on the podium as well.

I love this new Formula One!

• Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 16th March 2014, 7:59

Also, people giving this a negative rating, should consider that this is just the first race of these new regulations.

Ron Dennis said before the race to Brundle that we should give it some time before judging the racing, simply because the teams are still figuring out exactly how to do so.

• petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 16th March 2014, 8:04

How can anyone being way ahead of everyone else be a good thing? It wasn’t a good thing when Vettel did it and it isn’t a good thing now. I want a battle for the lead for once!

• Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 16th March 2014, 8:30

The difference is that before it has always Vettel. Now though, it’ll be Lewis and Nico… I not opposed to that because I’m a Lewis fan. Lol

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 16th March 2014, 8:45

As long as the pattern of this race (and testing, to some extent …) doesn’t continue, with him having the reliability issues while Rosberg drives away, I presume ;)

• dkpioe said on 16th March 2014, 16:21

how are you so sure? at first it was not always vettel, webber nearly won the 09 championship. id prefer to see vettel win then lewis, vettel is more consistent, lewis has made far more mistakes in his career and seemingly hasn’t improved since his rookie year. Id prefer to see a champion at the top of his game like vettel was, then someone winning because their car is the best. vettels redbull was often best, but the margin was extended by vettels talent, who kept winning whenever McLaren looked better then redbull, ie in 2010 and 2012.

• dirgegirl (@dirgegirl) said on 16th March 2014, 11:13

@tophercheese I did consider that it was the first race of the new regulations, and I still voted it an average 5/10 as it simply wasn’t that exciting as a race. I don’t think there’s any point in factoring in all sorts of imponderables when rating the race.

19. Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 16th March 2014, 7:55

A solid 8 for me, good race especially in the first part when many drivers where struggling with power, happy for Ricciardo and Magnussen, not very happy for Ferrari…. it seems that DRS was not very influential maybe it was easy to neutralize it with the ERS

20. US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 16th March 2014, 7:56

Pretty lackluster I thought. With all the promise of impending chaos it was nearly business as usual. Some uncertainty in the opening laps with retirements, but after that there were few real position changes of note and nowhere close to a battle for the lead. The only real excitement was from Bottas, and an honorary mention for Magnuson getting a podium on his debut. 5/10 for me. I hope the other teams can reign in Mercedes soon or it’s going to be a pretty boring year.

1 2 3 6