Rate the race: 2014 Australian Grand Prix

2014 Australian Grand Prix

Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, Albert Park, 2014

What did you think of today’s race? Share your verdict on the Australian Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2014 Australian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (2%)
  • 2 (1%)
  • 3 (2%)
  • 4 (4%)
  • 5 (7%)
  • 6 (14%)
  • 7 (33%)
  • 8 (26%)
  • 9 (8%)
  • 10 (3%)

Total Voters: 1,014

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

You need an F1 Fanatic account to vote. Register an account here or read more about registering here. When this poll is closed the result will be displayed instead of the voting form.

See the results for past seasons here:

2014 Australian Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Australian Grand Prix articles

Image © Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

236 comments on Rate the race: 2014 Australian Grand Prix

1. Spooky911 said on 16th March 2014, 16:40

A lot of mixed emotions and F1 is pretty much all emotions. 6 maybe, cannot get over the cars sounding like retail street sedans, Agree with most everyone here but with the screaming engines gone cannot tell yet what will replace that for over the top excitement.

2. Hairs (@hairs) said on 16th March 2014, 16:40

Some good results, but not as chaotic as pre-season testing might have given us to believe, and from lap 22 on it was fairly processional for long stretches.

Certainly didn’t live up to the hype of “anything can happen!” we got leading up to it. Red Bull, Ferrari, Mercedes and McLaren at the front, and Hulkenberg performing well. One car dominantly fast.

3. J Dubya (@j-dubya) said on 16th March 2014, 16:44

Perhaps my rating was based on low expectations, but I thoroughly enjoyed the race, and it exceeded my expectations. Outstanding to see Bottas, Magnussen, and Ricciardo have good drives. Awesome to see the Williams of Bottas pressuring the Ferarri of Alonso. I would have given it a generous 8, but the DQ of Red Bull bump it to a generous 9. Tongue in cheek, and sorry for Ricciardo, I expect that RB will develop into the class of the field — clearly they have pace. I would like to see the likes of McLaren and Williams fighting at the front.

4. prelvu (@prelvu) said on 16th March 2014, 16:58

Race itself was a 6 but Bo77as bump it to a solid 8.

5. djdaveyp85 (@djdaveyp87) said on 16th March 2014, 17:04

Great start to the season

6. Boring sound, ugly cars, slower speeds, boring “over takes”, sound doesn’t match the cars, parade to the end, tentative “economical” driving….

This is not F1 IMO. If they don’t immediately do something radical – like allowing unlimited fuel, unlimited flow rate – I’m not sure why I should watch. Make race day “Qualifying 4″, maybe.

7. icemangrins (@icemangrins) said on 16th March 2014, 17:35

This is by far one of the best races I have seen in some years. It’s a shame to see MAS, HAM and VET getting retired. But, with the reduced engine configuration, fuel limitation and gear box changes, it was fascinating to watch brilliant show from the rookie drivers mixing up with the seasoned drivers. The “new” engine needed some time to get used to.. Half way through the race, I didn’t even realize that they are racing with a turbo V6. I’m so thrilled for Mercedes and Williams. We have a great year ahead of us.

8. Jason (@jason12) said on 16th March 2014, 17:45

Not the first time Nico gets a victory from Lewis’ mechanical failure.

9. Gábor (@rookie) said on 16th March 2014, 18:04

9/10 for me.
    Positives: *excellent technical achievements just under a YEAR
    *smallers teams are getting better
    *impossible to predict results

Negatives: *pace was a bit slow, but there will be improvement
    *was gutted to see Dan DSQ-d
    Was sad to see Ferrari struggling though.

10. 8 out of ten for me. Great to see new faces doing good, Vettel’s reaction was appalling, Bottas’ charge was great to watch, Rosberg was scary fast. The race had all the ingredients for a 9 but too many key players were out (Such as Lewis) to really make the race awesome. Probably should be a 7 but not hearing about tyres and being the first race back bumps it up.

11. Fixy (@fixy) said on 16th March 2014, 18:22

8/10
    Some brilliant overtakes other than DRS ones, though my ignorance of current F1 regulations makes me think those were all pure whilst engine maps and braking behaviour varied from car to car, from corner to corner. Drivers making mistakes, retirements (though either straight away or out of action, like the Lotus ones) and unexpected results (Ricciardo, Magnussen Kvyat) made it an entertaining race, though some glimpses of it gave some ideas as to how F1 will feel like when teams sort out their data.

12. Brian (@bforth) said on 16th March 2014, 18:24

Some great drives throughout, especially by Bottas. Great to see an Aussie on the podium at home for the first time–shame it seems gone.
    That said, it just didn’t have the fizz I’m used to seeing at Australia. The field was scattered about in groups, the cars seem less suited for overtaking than last year (good job with the new regulations, FIA), and the track was desperately empty.

It was okay, but not good enough that I’ll remember much a few months from now.
    That makes it a very average 5.

13. Chad (@chaddy) said on 16th March 2014, 18:32

Did Ferrari do anything to remember Schumacher? I know a few drivers and Mercedes did.

14. Roland Deschain (@f12014sucks) said on 16th March 2014, 19:22

Do the voters realize: 1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

I sometimes wonder.

Aside from seeing Bottas and Hulk actually racing as well as K-Mag’s result, I can’t say anything positive about this race or season. And I’m someone who attends races, buys related products, and is a life-long superfan. Frankly I’m disgusted by the state of F1 and have been since 2010 and I see things worse now than ever. jmo

15. AlonsoMcLaren (@alonsomclaren) said on 16th March 2014, 19:43

Boring…. :(

16. Scottie (@scottie) said on 16th March 2014, 20:55

I’m slightly miffed at those expecting a tight race with lots of passing… It’s because of these folks that the regulations get mixed up every other year, causing this exact situation.

I thought the race was fantastic with heaps of tension, mystery and still some very close racing and good passes. Bottas’s drive was great, the people at the track (including me) loved Daniel’s drive, and there was a turn 1 crash with cars flying to keep TV’s switched on waiting for the next one… while the rest of us intrigued ourselves with who made best on the new regulations.

People replying saying it was terrible, not enough passing, etc… take a step back and blame the person in the mirror. Can’t blame F1 for not listening!

17. As average as they come, completely forgettable. It was only interesting because it was the first race of the season and we were all looking answers. 5/10. Anyone rating it above that needs to have their head examined or get out more.

18. Rebecca (@becci224) said on 16th March 2014, 23:51

For me it was an 8 and there was definitely potential for a 9 if we’d been able to see Hamilton and Vettel make it past 5 laps! But there was some brilliant over taking moves and some awesome corrections from drivers such as when Jev nearly lost it when his rear wheel dipped on the grass at turn 16! Also Hulkenberg did well to keep it in 6th place especially when you think about Perez in the same car who had a very dull weekend over all. So all in all for me a good race weekend and I really can’t wait for Malaysia and the race gets a double thumbs up from me! 👍👍

19. Marksy said on 17th March 2014, 3:00

1/10

10 cars on lead lap. 10 cars dnf. Fastest lap on lap 19 by winner who then coasts for next 38 laps and wins by half a minute. The longest Safety Car period for NOTHING (except fuel saving!) then factor in the sound, the look, and the “lift and coast” method and there is why this is one of the worst starts to a season i can recall.

Disagree? Then go watch 2005-2009 seasons whete there was passing, racing, close championships, excitement, and proper F1 – then return and explain how this is better!

FIA/FOM want ignorant fans! Do not give them what they want!!!

20. Larry said on 17th March 2014, 3:14

The engines sound pathetic. A shell of Formula-1’s former glory.