Rate the race: 2014 Australian Grand Prix

2014 Australian Grand Prix

Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, Albert Park, 2014

What did you think of today’s race? Share your verdict on the Australian Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2014 Australian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (2%)
  • 2 (1%)
  • 3 (2%)
  • 4 (4%)
  • 5 (7%)
  • 6 (14%)
  • 7 (33%)
  • 8 (26%)
  • 9 (8%)
  • 10 (3%)

Total Voters: 1,014

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

You need an F1 Fanatic account to vote. Register an account here or read more about registering here. When this poll is closed the result will be displayed instead of the voting form.

See the results for past seasons here:

2014 Australian Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Australian Grand Prix articles

Image © Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

236 comments on Rate the race: 2014 Australian Grand Prix

1. ME4ME (@me4me) said on 16th March 2014, 10:42

For me, the race didn’t really live up to expectations. A decent race in the end.

2. Lorenzo (@thegamer23) said on 16th March 2014, 10:43

It’s probably beacause Koba tboned Massa directly on the back, while Webber smashed into kovalainen’s rear wheel, jumping into the air.

3. Toxic (@toxic) said on 16th March 2014, 11:00

So I was there… sitting at the back of turn 9. To be honest I am quite disappointed. the race wasn’t exciting apart from Bottas and his charge…. which was actually a result of his mistake without which he should be much higher.
    I would rate it as 6. Only because the cars were more reliable that i was expecting them to be and the noise is quite exciting without tearing apart your ears. You can hear much more which gives you more insight on the drivers driving style and where they struggle. Also the clutch noise is almost gone.
    It was very apparent that Lotus struggles, the engine and gearbox noise was just not right. Actually it was very similar with Sauber. Somehow they didn’t look quick. Mercedes of course in different league, Bottas was also very quick. I was quite disappointed with FIAT’s as they just couldn’t get the hammer down. Alonso just couldn’t get past Hulkenberg which was easily overtaken by Bottas. I got an impression that everyone was taking it safe. No dare overtaking moves and no big drama. Actually V8′s were more exciting from my perspective.

Being at the same race last year, this year it was nowhere near as exciting. Could be worse but could be much better. Maybe the fact that we lost Hamilton, Massa and Vettel so early has something to do with the end result.
    Only the first part was not bad. After first 25 laps only Bottas kept it running.

Congrats to top three, they were all faultless. Also great drive from Button.

4. Martin (@aardvark) said on 16th March 2014, 11:06

Rosberg set the fastest lap on Lap 19 of 57. I guess he was in cruise mode most of the race.

5. lebesset said on 16th March 2014, 12:04

rather disappointing in what could have been a fabulous race
    hamilton had problems off the line
    as so often rosberg had the advantage of being on the best side and used it
    dan looks like losing his place as I write
    Q2
    with regards to bottas being driver of the day , he clearly had a much quicker car than those he overtook , ruined his chance by hitting the wall
    button’s quick thinking got him some good luck to go with his terrible luck in Q2 [ although he only just made it ]

but when half the quickest cars were immediately out it could hardly be a great race ..7 out of 10 ? only 5 for me

6. Corrado (@corrado-dub) said on 16th March 2014, 12:44

5 from me. Kinda boring overall.

Pretty great driving from Magnussen, Bottas and even Ricciardo (he’s not a rookie anymore, as some still consider him. He just changed the car -> results showed up !). Other than that, Vettel’s parade got replaced by Rosberg’s parade.

7. Luis Conde (@luchingador) said on 16th March 2014, 12:49

cars chasing ech other with any attemp to overtaking, has to be boring.

8. David not Coulthard (@davidnotcoulthard) said on 16th March 2014, 13:23

7, a bit better overall compared to last year’s average.

Either thst or I didn’t have enough sleep last night to enjoy it.

9. Ron (@rcorporon) said on 16th March 2014, 13:46

Exciting start but largely boring second half. Losing Ham & Vet so early was gutting. 6/10

10. I want real and pure competition between the most faster cars and the most perfect drivers. Risk, sweat, speed, that’s all I want in a race and not “make me rich” as BE and most of FIA managers want.

I remember the past in which only the driving mood and the cars were the pure competition force in F1.

Sorry but I blame this new F1 rules 2014. This will change the passion of young people for the F1 races.

Tears from spain.

Regards (I’m new and happy to be in this good web-forum).
    Julius

11. I don’t know why but it didn’t manage to keep me on the edge of my seat all the time. However, other than that irrational thought, it pretty much had everything.

It had the technical Vettel-esque drive by Rosberg, it had drama (Hamilton, Vettel retiring and the Kobayashi – Massa incident), it had underdogs, it had Red Bull being not-so-bad-afterall, McLaren coming back to live, a brilliant recovery drive by Bottas, a brilliant drive by the rookie Magnussen, it had reliability issues, it had mistakes. It demonstrated that the fuel-related “coasting” fears are not that well founded, and for the first time in years, it really looked like drivers are able to push right up to the finish line.

It looked good. It wasn’t that full of intensity but it demonstrated this new “Formula 1″ and the rest of the season could be.

8/10

12. Paul A (@paul-a) said on 16th March 2014, 15:00

Processional race = 3, plus one for Bottas, plus one to see the new regulations in action, plus one for Kobayashi really trying (now duck.) Total = 6.

13. Nick (@npf1) said on 16th March 2014, 15:33

First 21 laps saw me not even daring to look at F1Fanatic Live or my phone. Heck, I even postponed getting something to drink while I was parched with thirst..

After that the middle of the field kind of went their ways. There was no excitement in front (but as a Schumacher-era kid I guess I’m just not concerned when that happens) but the back was very calm too. I gave it a 7, as I enjoyed it a lot more than the last 10-12 races of 2013, which I rated between 4-6.

14. Aqib (@aqibqadeer) said on 16th March 2014, 16:05

it was a really exciting race 8/10 from me

15. gregwtravels (@gregwtravels) said on 16th March 2014, 16:08

Meant to head to the pub this morning, but the 4 AM alarm I woke with a headache and heart-burn, so decided to take some meds and head back to bed. Just watched the replay on BBC.

Not a great race, but I appreciate that at least it mixed up the regular order of things. I think we’re probably in for a few uneven races until everyone finds their way with the new regs, and then things start to settle. Hopefully, when they settle in, it’ll be into a good competition and not a domination by one team.