Rate the race: 2014 Australian Grand Prix

2014 Australian Grand Prix

Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, Albert Park, 2014

What did you think of today’s race? Share your verdict on the Australian Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2014 Australian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (2%)
  • 2 (1%)
  • 3 (2%)
  • 4 (4%)
  • 5 (7%)
  • 6 (14%)
  • 7 (33%)
  • 8 (26%)
  • 9 (8%)
  • 10 (3%)

Total Voters: 1,014

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

You need an F1 Fanatic account to vote. Register an account here or read more about registering here. When this poll is closed the result will be displayed instead of the voting form.

See the results for past seasons here:

2014 Australian Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Australian Grand Prix articles

Image © Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

236 comments on Rate the race: 2014 Australian Grand Prix

1 6 7 8
  1. Slackbladder said on 17th March 2014, 7:25

It’s still called Formula One but it isn’t, the cars look like ‘Formula One Racing Cars’ but they don’t sound like ‘real’ Formula One race cars should sound and they don’t ‘race’ like Formula one race cars used to. It all feels a bit shamish, sad really, from v12′s to v10′s to v8′s to v6′s, whats next v4′s? all for the wrong kind of show! As some one mentioned above, the Jumbo Jets that fly the teams back and forth use ‘TONES’ of fuel per trip and the fleets of transports burn Tones of diesel and no one batts an eye lash. Having watched motor racing, particularly Formula One, for over 50 years it is my considered opinion that small minded idiots are ruining one of the few sports with some pedigree left, at least I hope so after this latest fiasco. Too much change is more counterproductive than no change, change for change sake is a fools game.

• Jon said on 19th March 2014, 0:57

Yours is the first comment that I’ve seen that mentions this, which I find quite surprising. It’s as if there’s an elephant in the room but everyone has got “invisi-elephant” glasses on. Ignore it and pretend it’s not there.
      For me, as a casual (“lay” perhaps) F1 viewer, I was very dismayed at the sound of the new cars.
      They are, singly, almost silent compared to what they were last season. But all might not be lost (I thought) – I wondered what they would sound like when they were all on the grid. Maybe lots of them together might make some kind of exciting roar. Well, no.
      What’s next? Totally silent cars? I guess the die-hards here will still be saying “hey I guess this is just not the sport for you sport” etc., defending F1 to its inevitable slow death as they transfer to 2V 600cc engines. But anyway, as to this race, after the first few laps, with near-silent cars just running round the track following each other, Hamilton out, I just thought, this is just too damn boring, and switched off.

I think you are spot on with your comments. It’s not up to F1 to save the world. It’s up to F1 to be an exciting spectator sport. On the basis of what I saw this weekend, I don’t think they have succeeded.
      And yeah, I’m just a casual F1 viewer. But how many of F1′s viewers are also casual viewers?

2. Virender (@vjskang21) said on 17th March 2014, 10:07

8/10 from Me. unlike Last year pretty much close racing but then no overtakings – probably because the units are not set for outright power as of now. Hope things will Improve as for 17 Odd Laps if positions don’t Change thats not really F1 (Hulk-Alonso-Vergne-Raikkonen first stint). Even with DRS enable it wasn’t the same as last year. But then thats my vision with no critics to any team. I know things will improve and thats what we look forward to

3. Dimitris 1395 (@dimitris-1395) said on 17th March 2014, 10:08

I liked it. It wasn’t a super race, maybe not even a great one and certainly not one I’d watch again, but it was a nice race. I liked the fact that DRS was not so overpowering and we saw some good overtakes (especially by Bottas), some good battles (Ricciardo-Magnussen) and a couple of strategic moves that decleared the outcome. Had Hamilton not retired, I think we would have seen a better race for the lead but that’s something to live with.

7/10

4. HiPn0tIc (@hipn0tic) said on 17th March 2014, 11:41

My race ended at the momment Nico get’s the 1st place, the race for me was obvious and apart of Magnussen and Bottas, with no realy interest

5. Simon B said on 17th March 2014, 11:45

Having seen the in-cockpit comparison of Ricciado & Vettel during qualifying where Vettel appeared to be fighting a greased pig while Ricciado was all smooth and Button-like, I was anticipating Vettel driving into a wall during the race. Is he really still driving as if it’s last year’s RB?
    7/10 for the race, I like hearing tyre squeal, all the burbling and whistling of turbos, being able to hear the radio transmissions.
    Did RB ignore the FIA’s ruling on their flow meter during the race just to get a high-profile result in the knowledge it would be taking away; that being preferable to grubbing about (perhaps) behind the Torro Rossos even?
    Kudos to Button for quick thinking, and to KevMag & Dan Kvyat for keeping it on track!

6. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 17th March 2014, 13:07

I can’t believe how low the ratings are. 6.9 average? 90 minutes of watching the best drivers in the world fighting tooth and nail with cars everyone is still learning about, whilst the cream of the young crop float to the top, resulting in the freshest podium we have seen in years? I thought it was awesome.

7. Arrrang (@arrrang) said on 17th March 2014, 14:47

4/10.
    Since 2009 I am enjoying F1 less and less with every year and I fear that if I will see 3 more races like that in a row I’ll just stop watching for a while. V6, DRS, ERS, PIRELLIs, 100kg/h, no re-fueling and medi core drivers… I’m happy that Magnussen got a great result but it just made me think that there are hundreds (if not thousands) drivers that are on pair (if not better) than the current field.
    Average drivers, slower cars, delta lap time driving, and constant regulation changes. I slowly have enough.
    And to think that I was complaining (2000-2008) about the championship being played between 2 or 3 cars back then. It might have been two cars, but they were actually RACING back then.

8. John Harvey (@jrhonf1) said on 17th March 2014, 18:22

Bottas has a rocket, and a shame Massa couldn’t use his. Williams are a force. Magnussen did well, as did Kyvat, so Toro should be commended for finding reliability and speed. Lotus were moving forward before elec. failures. Ferrari/Sauber/Marrussia need more speed. If brains and patience are the key, Button and Rosberg have to be favourites, but I’ll pull for Massa to be there too.

9. Fred Stocking (@fstocking) said on 17th March 2014, 20:46

Missing Stirling Moss, Phil Hill, Jackie Stewart, Alain Prost, Aryton Senna Michael Shummacher. When races were won by skill and cars not lost by software and wire malfunctions. Maybe it’s time for me to retire from being a fan.

• Simon B said on 19th March 2014, 9:21

When races were lost by drivers getting killed or engines blowing up? When scrutineering didn’t seem to cope with computer launch control, when Ferrari had a veto on new rules (in secret)…?

10. Boring Race. We all knew the winner from lap 2.
    We couldn’t hear the cars, we saw less overtakes than retirements with Bottas the only driver who was racing.
    We were seeing the fastest drivers of the world rival each other on fuel economy all the time.
    we have also seen a live timing with no sector times no pit stops no gaps from the first driver.
    This year F1 sucks!
    Fuel economy isn’t compatible with F1, at least at that point.

11. ajokay (@ajokay) said on 18th March 2014, 12:28

6. First half was interesting whilst the field settled down, Bottas was great with his storm through the field, although he was out of position. The safety car seemed to kill the race dead though. There wasn’t too much happening in the final 35 laps. There were some cars catching others, but although they got slightly closer, nothing came of anything.

A good start, by no means a classic, and probably ultimately forgettable. So a generous 6.

12. PJA (@pja) said on 19th March 2014, 19:35

It seems I have missed the voting so it won’t count to the overall, but I rated it a 7.

It was a decent start to the season but nothing special.

1 6 7 8