Losing podium better than retiring – Ricciardo

2014 F1 season

Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull, Albert Park, 2014Daniel Ricciardo says it was better to finish on the podium and then be disqualified than never to have got there in the first place.

He said his post-race exclusion from second place on his debut for Red Bull “puts a bit of a downer on what had been a brilliant day”.

“I did a good job in the car and I got to stand on the Australian Grand Prix podium,” added Ricciardo, “and no-one’s taking the sensation of doing that away”.

“What happens next is outside of my ability to control but honestly, I’d rather it went down like this than have retired from the race with a mechanical problem. I’ll take a podium and a subsequent disqualification over that any day of the week.”

Following a series of problems in pre-season testing, which prevented the team from completing a race simulation, Ricciardo said his car performed better than expected during the first grand prix weekend.

“The work we did in the winter targeted reliability rather than performance. It was only in Melbourne that we got the opportunity to start working on a set-up.

“The RB10 surprised us by being pretty competitive in the dry and very competitive in the wet. It’s going to get much better as we dial it in over the next few races and catch up with those teams that did more miles pre-season.”

“At the moment, we’re in the battle to be the second-best team,” he added. “Obviously that isn’t where we want to be but it’s exceeding our expectations of only a few weeks ago.”

“I think once we really get into the set-up of the car, we’ll be able to close the gap to Mercedes. Obviously they’re going to improve too but I think we’re in a good position to make bigger strides.”

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image © Red Bull/Getty

33 comments on Losing podium better than retiring – Ricciardo

1. mr ROSSI (@mr-rossi) said on 20th March 2014, 18:01

Great debut at RB for ricciardo,i dont think he put a foot wrong really all weekend,shame about the dsq, but, like he says-it was better to get up on the podium and give the ozzy fans something to cheer about, than have a DNF after a few laps. Well done DR.

• Nick (@nick-uk) said on 20th March 2014, 21:33

I think he can only honestly say that because it was 100% Red Bull’s poor decision making, even if they did martyr his podium to add weight to a protest on the fuel sensors as a whole. If a driver had been DSQ’d because they did something on track or did some shifty blocking or something and then said this then I would lose respect for that driver because of the nature by which they got DSQ’d – if that makes sense?

2. Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 20th March 2014, 18:28

I didn’t think I would ever feel bad for a Red Bull being DSQ’d, but I did feel for Dan a bit there.

3. joetoml1n (@joetoml1n) said on 20th March 2014, 18:55

Exception to Dan’s argument being in the event of a dodgy gear box.. DNF and a fresh box for the next race over finishing and the DSQ ;)

4. MuzzleFlash (@muzzleflash) said on 20th March 2014, 19:54

I still have a feeling he’ll get it back, though the FIA will be determined not to set a precedence of uncertainty over the sensors.

• Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 20th March 2014, 23:05

I doubt he’ll get it back, because the FIA have got some pretty irrefutable evidence that they were telling Red Bull during the race that they were running car #3 too rich, and exceeding the 100L.hour limit quite frequently.

Red Bull chose to ignore them.

• Journeyer (@journeyer) said on 21st March 2014, 0:57

@topher I think he will get it back, because the sensors’ accuracy and consistency will be thrown into doubt. If Red Bull can prove that, then ignoring it becomes a non-issue.

• Frans said on 22nd March 2014, 0:23

The problem is that it wasn’t just Red Bull that had been warned. Other teams complied but Red Bull didn’t. Because of this, I don’t think he will get his points back because it would really be unfair to the rest of the teams. If others had to run on a reduced flow rate so the peak is staying under the limit, then Red Bull should do it too. Giving Red Bull a pass on this matter will open a whole new can of worms on how teams can exploit the rules and regulations.

• Journeyer (@journeyer) said on 21st March 2014, 0:57

@tophercheese21 I think he will get it back, because the sensors’ accuracy and consistency will be thrown into doubt. If Red Bull can prove that, then ignoring it becomes a non-issue.

5. Chris (@ukphillie) said on 20th March 2014, 20:36

Good positive attitude. Great to see that.

Stay positive and it might be what gives Dan the edge over Vettel, who seems very dejected at the moment.

6. Gridlock (@gridlock) said on 20th March 2014, 23:08

Those ominous drums you can all hear is the sound of Vettel picking up where he left off…

7. GB (@bgp001ruled) said on 21st March 2014, 1:17

hope dan and rb get the points!!! but if not i think itd be fair: regs state that clearly (keith posted it somewhere!).
    but i think its a little bit nonsense what he says: if its about getting on the podium, caterham could run with the most illegal advantaged car, get to the podium and be disqualified afterwards. what would that be good for? oh yeah, the feeling, since noone here is running for points!!!!!!

8. dirgegirl (@dirgegirl) said on 21st March 2014, 9:13

Behind that permagrin is a lot of steely resolve and a very impressive attitude. Nice camouflage! I’d love to see him beat Vettel this year in the same machinery. Especially if he’s going to repeat that loony chuckle when he finishes in podium positions.

9. Garns (@) said on 21st March 2014, 11:47

I won a trip to Melbourne (off to Malaysia so was going to miss this one) and we got a Paddock tour with DC and to watch quali from in the pit lane, at the spot just where the top 3 do the post quali photo- both were awesome of course!

I saw Dan just briefly on Saturday morning and he said the car was feeling SO much better- I think he had a smile on his face :)

We sat on the last corner (Prost stand) and as an Aussie that was the best experience to see the home crowd go nuts and “tripin’ balls” for Dan!! Utterly disappointed with the exclusion as were so many locals, to a rule that I don’t agree with at all and I don’t see why its needs to be there.

That said rules are rules and they apply to all. RBR’s continuous bending of them or defiance to FIA’s guidance has bought this on- Dan would not have even known about it. I hope Dan gets the podium back and not sure if a possible outcome could be he keeps the drivers points but the team lose constructors points??

Either way I think and hope he has shown some doubters he did deserve that seat after all, but needs to prove it more!

Kvyat looked great and for Kevin Magnusson- WOW!!