Magnussen and Bianchi receive penalty points

2014 Malaysian Grand Prix

Kevin Magnussen, McLaren, Sepang International Circuit, 2014Kevin Magnussen and Jules Bianchi have had penalty points added to their licenses for infractions during the Malaysian Grand Prix.

Each driver was give two points, their first of the season, for the incidents they were involved in.

Bianchi was held responsible for the collision at turn four on the first lap for which he also received a five second time penalty during the race.

However Bianchi insisted he was not to blame: “The situation with Maldonado was a consequence of what happened off the start, when Vergne hit me from behind and punctured my left rear tyre.”

“Quite simply I could not avoid Maldonado – there was nothing I could do.”

Magnussen got the same treatment from the stewards after making contact with Kimi Raikkonen at turn one, leaving the Ferrari with a puncture.

However Magnussen took the blame for his penalty: “I’m sorry for the team that I messed things up going into the second corner, with the incident with Kimi.”

“I think we could have scored some good points today, so I’m disappointed with and for myself, too.”

2014 Malaysian Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Malaysian Grand Prix articles

Image © McLaren/LAT

Promoted content from around the web | Become an F1 Fanatic Supporter to hide this ad and others

Advert | Go Ad-free

48 comments on Magnussen and Bianchi receive penalty points

  1. Patrick (@paeschli) said on 30th March 2014, 14:42

    Really, what are these stewards thinking? The contract already messed up his race due to the front wing change and the 5 seconds penalty … Penalties seem to be very harsh this year.

  2. naz3012 (@naz3012) said on 30th March 2014, 15:32

    The stewards are setting a dangerously high precedent here, does this mean every similar collision will result in two points? Considering impeding in quali is also a two point offence (presumably making ignoring blue flags in a race a two point offence also), i’m struggling to see where a one point offence might be applied.
    That also paves the way for a 3 or 4 point deduction for a more serious accident (think maldonado at the start at monaco last year) then maybe 5 points for a “grosjean at spa” style pile-up.
    At this rate, it won’t be long till a driver is banned for committing only 3 or 4 offences, which in isolation could all be relatively minor.

  3. HiPn0tIc (@hipn0tic) said on 31st March 2014, 0:40

    F1 is turning into basket…

  4. Hest said on 31st March 2014, 11:15

    Magnussens 5s penalty is ok if they really want to “teach him a lesson” but the two points are redicilous.
    They are ment for dangerous and hazzardus driving, not for bumping another car. Do they want to give penalty points for every driver who touches a car in the future?

    F1 is not the top of racing anymore with the latest rulings. It has become a club of sunday drivers. If thats what they want to turn it into, then we will be done with the races in a couple of years

  5. Brian (@bealzbob) said on 31st March 2014, 14:13

    If Magnussen’s incident is the kind of thing that earns you penalty points then I fear the powers-that-be have once again found a way of making F1 a bit more rubbish. That was a racing incident. Nothing more. A ridiculous decision.

Add your comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

All comments must abide by the comment policy. Comments may be moderated.
Want to post off-topic? Head to the forum.
See the FAQ for more information.

Skip to toolbar