Rate the race: 2014 Malaysian Grand Prix

2014 Malaysian Grand Prix

Start, Sepang International Circuit, 2014What did you think of today’s race? Share your verdict on the Malaysian Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2014 Malaysian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (2%)
  • 2 (2%)
  • 3 (5%)
  • 4 (9%)
  • 5 (17%)
  • 6 (24%)
  • 7 (24%)
  • 8 (11%)
  • 9 (3%)
  • 10 (3%)

Total Voters: 873

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

You need an F1 Fanatic account to vote. Register an account here or read more about registering here. When this poll is closed the result will be displayed instead of the voting form.

See the results for past seasons here:

2014 Malaysian Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Malaysian Grand Prix articles

Image © Caterham/LAT

285 comments on Rate the race: 2014 Malaysian Grand Prix

1. Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 30th March 2014, 11:36

I rated 6 . Not too much wheel to wheel action other than in the pits. Would have loved to see Alonso challenge the Bulls . Sadly his car is not fast enough .

2. Regular race. In the competition level, well, it was boring. But, considering the new tecs, regs, etc, i’ll have to give it a 6, which is still very low for F1 fans standards. Let’s hope things to get better in Bahrain.
    Mercedes still very fast. But I have to say, at some point I felt sick of listening Ham promoting Primax (during pre-race, in the simulator program) and Nico promoting Petronas in the podium (during interview session)! Arghhh…
    RBR was surprisingly competitive for the podium places. Ricciardo IMO is proving that is going to be an excellent driver, tough he hasn’t grab any points yet.
    As for Ferrari, something is wrong with the F14t. They need to push more if they want to be in the top level this year.
    As for Williams, felt sorry for Massa. He – like no other pilot – doesn’t deserve to be “instructed”. F1 is for “victory eager’s egos”, not for whining spirits.
    Congrats for Hulk. Great race. Congrats for Grosjean. Who have thought? And a word for Catherham and Marussia. Good job nonetheless. They are improving. Or the rest of the teams are getting worse.

3. andae23 (@andae23) said on 30th March 2014, 11:38

6/10 Overall a pretty bland race, in my opinion. The threat of rain made the teams a bit passive, meaning that there was little strategic variance (Force India and Caterham were the only ones willing to do something different). DRS was way too strong, resulting in rather dull overtakes. Grosjean at one point passed Ericsson(?) on the back straight, but was re-passed on the main straight. One lap later, he learned and stayed behind on the back straight, and passed on the main straight.

This was the first race in which I used pen and paper to make notes, because with the current live timing and FOM graphics I can’t follow the race at all. I think I will just keep doing that until they fix the live timing.

On a positive note, I liked the fuel stats during the race, but unfortunately they dropped it in the second half of the race.

4. Force Maikel (@force-maikel) said on 30th March 2014, 11:38

Good in the initial and final stages but 30 laps of nothing just killed this one for me.

5. HiPn0tIc (@hipn0tic) said on 30th March 2014, 11:38

Gave it a 3. Boring race, last week, or even las month anywone could predict the winners…

6. @lari
    Hulkenberg didn’t exactly gain any position either though.
    Ricciardo’s race was pretty much ruined and had Raikkonen didn’t make contact with Magnussen, I doubt Hulkenberg would have ended up in fifth that comfortably.

• Huh. That wasn’t supposed to be here.

Anyway, I don’t know if this was because I was up very late talking with a lady friend but I nearly dozed off during the middle part of the race there.
      And it was only 5 p.m. where I watched the race from.
      So, a solid 4 then.

7. DaveF1 (@davef1) said on 30th March 2014, 11:48

5/10

Dull race. The Rosberg/Vettel and Ricciardo/Alonso battles didn’t materialize in the end which meant there was basically no action in the top 6 positions. The Massa/Bottas battle was fun but was ruined by team orders on both occasions. Kimi didn’t really fight to the field as much as I hoped and the gap between Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari/Force India is too large that if the next race is dry it’s not difficult to guess who the top 6 will be.

8. SennaNmbr1 (@sennanmbr1) said on 30th March 2014, 11:49

Dull race. But at least it showed two things. Mercedes still has a fair advantage and Nico Hulkenberg is perhaps the best driver on the grid.

9. juan fanger (@juan-fanger) said on 30th March 2014, 11:54

What do you people want? OK, Hamilton cleared off (and he annoys me more than most), but the action behind him was great.

Some of the things I really liked:
    Ricciardo made an average start but brilliant positioning allowed him to take Vettel and threaten Rosberg around the first few bends.
    Vettel catching Rosberg and may even have had a shot at him if it wasn’t for the yellow flag at the hairpin.
    Massa and Bottas race-long struggles to get past first one McLaren and then the next – and most of all each other.
    Cars twitching everywhere out of the corners and the drivers really struggling with them. Magnificent.
    Hulkenberg’s brave tyre strategy.
    Alonso’s brilliant racecraft (but this is normal, I suppose).
    Kvyat continued to impress.
    The suspense of Grosjean’s battle with Raikkonen: would Kimi get past? Would Romain even get to the finish line?
    And Kobayashi’s brilliant 13th place :)

Some of the things I didn’t much like:
    The coverage showing someone (Button?) driving into the entrance of pit lane when Vettel / Ricciardo / Alonso were all battling for position at the other end of the straight.
    The instruction to Ricciardo to change the engine mapping when he was getting too close to Vettel – for the sake of energy harvesting, of course.
    The fuel usage displays – I would prefer this to be kept a secret from the teams so they always have to worry about a surprise from one of the others. Doesn’t really add anything to the coverage for fans except to remind the malcontents that some drivers “might” be conserving fuel. (There was far less this year than last.)

But the thing which really gets my goat:
    Live timing on F1.com – this is going very close to ruining the coverage for me. Live sector timing tells all you need to know about how the cars are performing: you can always tell who is catching who and by how much right through the field right through the race. Without this I have to rely on the television coverage and, frankly, just showing one or two cars on a TV screen is not nearly enough. Formula 1 is really doing the fans a massive disservice with this.

• SennaNmbr1 (@sennanmbr1) said on 30th March 2014, 12:05

Personally, I would prefer the cars to start with enough fuel to finish the race without having to save fuel. And get rid of the blue flag rule. Do that and F1 will be perfect for me :)

• andae23 (@andae23) said on 30th March 2014, 12:17

@sennanmbr1 Couldn’t agree more: as I wrote above, I’m now taking notes during the race just to be able to get an overview. The live timing is a complete joke.

10. Lars (@lars) said on 30th March 2014, 11:55

An average and somewhat eventless race. I gave it a 6. There where a few good overtakings from among others Alonso and Magnussen. Being a McLaren fan the race was also a fairly average race to watch.

11. Chad (@chaddy) said on 30th March 2014, 11:56

That penalty to Magnussen was a travesty.

Great interview by Ricciardo. Starting to really like him.

12. Hamish said on 30th March 2014, 12:03

I have watched every race since 1997 and I very much doubt I’ll be watching the next race.

Regards,

Your typical F1 fan

13. David not Coulthard (@davidnotcoulthard) said on 30th March 2014, 12:06

7. Better than last year’s average, though the worst Tilkedromes are still ahead of us.

14. ME4ME (@me4me) said on 30th March 2014, 12:12

Enjoyable race in my opinion. Many battles, although at times a bit dull. No overdose of tire or fuel saving, and no too-easy DRS overtakes. 8/10.

• zippyone (@zippyone) said on 30th March 2014, 21:19

I also gave an 8/10 as I really enjoyed this race, seemed exciting to me and I was interested throughout.

After watching F1 for around 20 years, last year my passion was fading a bit, I now cannot wait for the next race.

I am really liking watching the drivers having to

drive

the cars as opposed to the cars looking like they are on rails.

15. Jason (@jason12) said on 30th March 2014, 12:33

8/10
    Lot’s of battles in front, midfield and between teammates….