Double points season finale “good for Abu Dhabi”

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Start, Yas Marina, 2013In the round-up: Yas Marina circuit chief executive Al Tareq al-Ameri says hosting the double points season finale is good for the circuit despite a strong backlash against the plan from fans.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Abu Dhabi circuit chief defends F1 double points change (Reuters)

“The fact it came to us, that’s good for Abu Dhabi, it will keep things exciting to the last minute – I feel the mentality of the drivers will change.”

Sebastian Vettel Horner defends Vettel in engine row (BBC)

“Sebastian has expressed his opinion and I don’t think anyone would blame a driver for making an opinion. He’s not alone. There are different opinions and he’s entitled to his.”

Rosberg must be worried about gap (The Telegraph)

“Sunday was not totally free of the issue either, as the sensor on Ricciardo’s car failed completely. A useful piece of evidence in Red Bull’s case? Horner simply smiled, and said once more that the team did not trust these sensors.”

Red Bull admit F1 battle to catch Mercedes before Bahrain Grand Prix (The Guardian)

“In terms of catching up in straight-line speed, whilst our curve is steep, hopefully we should be able to make steps but in Bahrain their advantage will be bigger than it was in Malaysia as that is quite a power-dominated circuit.”

Boullier expecting Monaco, Montreal to favour McLaren (Adam Cooper’s F1 Blog)

“It’s going to be quite, quite painful, we know this. This is why we are in aggressive development mode already. Every race we bring parts, and I feel a bit of a relief today, for a lot of reasons. We spent the winter ensuring that we had a good correlation between the wind tunnel and the track, and it looks like it works out.”

Alonso targets China upgrades (Sky)

“The car from Australia to here has not got anything new so we know that the situation was more or less the same as Melbourne.”

Williams sure team orders row resolved (Autosport)

“They understand the team’s position and why they were asked to do what we asked them to do, which was strategically what we felt was best for the team, allowing each driver to attack button individually to try and get ahead.”

Charlie Whiting opens up (ESPN)

“The fundamental idea was that we would try and increase efficiency. [For example] 98 kilos next year, 96kg, and then so on. But the F1 Strategy Group agreed that we wouldn’t review the fuel flow or the fuel amount for the race until 2016 at the earliest.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

What does Mercedes’ domination of the first two races say about the new rues?

Mercedes engine department and aero department and greater team have put together the best package given the huge amount of changes to the rule book this year. While the 40-plus second victories may be boring, hats off to them for getting it so right.

Look at Red Bull still fighting with kinetic recovery issues and poor starts which has hampered every single season that I can remember they’ve been in competition. Renault also have a part to play in this, they’re very, very behind the eight ball. They will struggle to remain in F1 post 2014, because the deficit is too much to gain in one season, and all the good will in the world will not attract top teams like Red Bull to re-sign in 2015.

Through all the gimmicks, sport is the winner here, everyone thought the changes would bring the field closer together, what it is has done, is reset the playing field and the best team with the rule changes has risen to the top.
@Dragoll

From the forum

Happy birthday!

No F1 Fanatic birthdays today

On this day in F1

Happy birthday to former Prost and Minardi driver Shinji Nakano who is 43 today.

Image © Mercedes/Hoch Zwei

110 comments on Double points season finale “good for Abu Dhabi”

1. Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 1st April 2014, 0:04

Good for Abu Dhabj =/= good for F1.

2. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 1st April 2014, 0:04

I used to think Max Chilton was fortunate enough as it is already just to be racing in F1, but now he gets to do THIS?

I’m officially insanely envious…

3. matt90 (@matt90) said on 1st April 2014, 0:11

“The fact it came to us [after we offered/were advised to pay more], that’s good for Abu Dhabi [and Abu Dhabi only], it will keep things exciting to the last minute [by which we mean artificially extend the championship, hopefully until our own particular round]– I feel the mentality of the drivers will change [in that they will question what they're even doing in this 'sport' any more, along with the fans].”

Sub-text added back.

• Trido (@trido) said on 1st April 2014, 0:15

I am so sick of the anti-double points rhetoric on this site. Yes it is crap, but there is nothing that can be done about it. No amount of whining by spectators or teams hasn’t changed it yet so we’re obviously going to have to endure it for at least this season.

Get over it or go watch Indy Cars.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 1st April 2014, 0:20

No thanks. I’d rather keep complaining. As you said, it’s crap. I don’t particular care if it makes no difference, I will keep bringing it because we should never come to accept such stupidity. Also, being the first quote I’ve seen from Abu Dhabi themselves on the issue means that there’s plenty relevancy to justify some super-mega-fun-round ridicule.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 1st April 2014, 0:24

Ironically, Indycar now has double points as well.

• Carlitox (@carlitox) said on 1st April 2014, 0:36

But they make sense. If F1 had double points at Spa or Monza, I’d be less furious.

• dennis (@dennis) said on 1st April 2014, 7:53

Not only a special venue, but they are also very long races.
            The 24h of Spa gave more points than other endurance races in the FIA GT…

Abu Dhabi is just a race that almost nobody except to organizers get excited about. The track is nothing special, the venue has lost its wow-factor and imo it shouldn’t even be the last race of the season.

• Bullfrog (@bullfrog) said on 1st April 2014, 8:29

Not to Mike Conway, they don’t…

• bull mello (@bullmello) said on 1st April 2014, 0:33

@trido – “I am so sick of the anti-double points rhetoric on this site… Get over it or go watch Indy Cars.”

So, those are the choices? LOL!

Well, Indy Car has double points too. (Although the implementation makes more sense in Indy Car.)

While we’re at it, does the same order apply to “lack of noise” complaints too? Because, Indy Car isn’t really any louder than F1. Just thought I’d mention that before it came up, just in case.

Seeing how this is a F1 fan site where opinions are encouraged, it’s doubtful we have heard the last about double points in F1. btw, double points suxor!

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 1st April 2014, 1:52

@trido, When an article is published that applauds the double fudge-up fiasco, then we fans are obliged to respond or be considered supine.

Yes to the boycott.

• Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 1st April 2014, 3:31

If no one complained, then nothing would change, and race promoters, FIA personnel, and so on would just assume that the fans are happy with double points.

It’s a ridiculous solution to a problem that wasn’t a problem.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 1st April 2014, 6:43

I am happy to watch IndyCArs, but what does that have to do with this stupid rule @trido?

This is a blog about F1 so people expressing their views on things to do with it, which Abu Double undeniably is, is perfectly fine. If you want to give your view, you are welcome to do so as well.

Obviously the Abu Double benefits from this, or think they will benefit from it. They know they have the most boring race on the calendar, they know its likely to be ignored by many less avid fans because the title will probably be decided before their race so now they hope this gives the drivers/teams a bit of extra motivation to throw everything at it. But why would we not react and say we thoroughly dislike it?

• drmouse (@drmouse) said on 1st April 2014, 14:31

My emphasis. Personally, I have stated from the off that I will be boycotting Abu Double, but my quick straw poll with a group of mates puts me firmly in the minority (on my own, in fact). They aren’t happy with the rule, but aren’t upset enough to do anything about it.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 1st April 2014, 17:22

Boycotting wouldn’t achieve anything anyway. UK viewing figures aren’t calculated by monitoring every TV.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 1st April 2014, 17:26

It is always the minority that act that change things, the lazy majority have a whinge and hope somebody else will fix it.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 1st April 2014, 17:31

@matt90, which is why we have to publicise the fact that we intend to boycott. People/Corporations invested in F1 or thinking of investing in F1 will be reading F1 Fan blogs, only Bernie is arrogant enough not to care what Fans think.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 1st April 2014, 18:14

In which case actually boycotting it doesn’t matter :p
            I’m not sure if I’ll watch it. I wanted to be dead against it for personal reasons rather than as any kind of statement, but I may end up being too involved in the season not too. If the championship is decided at that round, even if it’s farcical, I will probably struggle not to watch it.

• John H (@john-h) said on 1st April 2014, 7:53

Maybe if we keep moaning next season will be different. Ever thought of that? The message is getting through to the team bosses at least. Let’s see what mess Abu Dhabi brings to help get rid of this wretched farce of a rule.

• Ian Wilkins said on 1st April 2014, 17:28

You could always stop reading this site. I believe that we’re passionate bunch of F1 fans here who agree that the double points rule is wrong on every level and we will continue to voice this opinion.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 1st April 2014, 17:53

@trido That’s just defeatism. Even someone who concedes that double points is here to stay for this year can see the value of continuing to put forward the case against it to try to get rid of it for the following season.

Especially when public reaction to it has been so overwhelmingly negative that even the teams have admitted they were surprised by it, and it quite conceivably helped stop an expansion of Ecclestone’s double points plan to three races before the season began.

4. matt90 (@matt90) said on 1st April 2014, 0:15

Why not turn up volume, or put on-board microphones on cars?

What does the second bit of that mean? Does he mean besides the microphone which records the onboard noise during onboard footage? Why?

5. George (@george) said on 1st April 2014, 0:16

I thought the engines sounded better last weekend than in Melbourne, did they make changes or am I getting used to them already?

• Andrew (@w1nter) said on 1st April 2014, 0:23

The second straight down the grid line, stands are constructed in the way so it boosts the sound. It’s either that or you really are getting used to the sound. It’s not as bad as everyone is making it out to be in the end.

• bull mello (@bullmello) said on 1st April 2014, 0:39

No proof here, but I thought some drivers seemed to be hitting higher revs at times at Sepang. Would be nice to see onboard graphics, that were formerly available, to confirm that.

Could also be mic placements around the track or even higher sound production values.

Anyways, I think the new engines sound great, just different.

• Ciaran (@ciaran) said on 1st April 2014, 3:41

@george Yeah I noticed that too, I imagine FOM have been tweaking their microphones or something like that – they sounded excellent this weekend.

6. David-A (@david-a) said on 1st April 2014, 0:23

Ah, the round-up headline is about the double points today. How fitting.

7. Sir OBE said on 1st April 2014, 0:25

So only Red Bull have such a huge problem with sensors? Being noble as they are (sarcasm is almost killing me, but I’m enduring), they should see the bigger picture and realize that for the better of the sport, they should accept that sensors will need a few races to get ironed out.

And all of this, before you consider the fact that they are the only team to have such problems. Others even if they have it are not making fuss about it.

On the other subject, Vettel’s swearing is not “expressing his own opinion”. It’s called lobbying, while trying to sound genuine and cool. It’s just plain rude. I don’t go into public places, let alone on TV, and swear just because I feel it is my right to say what I want to say. It’s just poor manners. And that’s even before you come to the fact that he is supposed to be a reigning champion. He should be a champion of this sport, promoting it and working to give something back, and if he has an issue, doing a constructive talk with those who have a say in it. Going on TV and swearing like this, insulting the sport, is wrong in so many ways. Horner is a hypocrite, but that’s nothing new. And what should we expect from Vettel, when his best buddies are Horner and Bernie. They have never shied away from insulting and exploiting the sport, as long as it suits their goals.

These are the things that are making me dislike F1 and making it ever harder for me to find a reason to watch it. Not some mysterious lack of noise, or a shape of the nose of the car, which has changed 60 times in the last 6 decades.

8. Calum (@calum) said on 1st April 2014, 0:32

I have to agree. Double points will be a nice way to finish off the season. It should hopefully make for a competitive end to 2014 and will be a great spectacle.

9. Mach1 (@mach1) said on 1st April 2014, 0:35

I like the sound, but I do agree, it is just not loud enough on TV and this is well within FOMs ability to fix without changing the cars. A lot of the time I cannot really hear the engine sound especially when the commentators are speaking. I really like the sound though, the whines the grunts. Louder please!

On a side note, I thought it odd that Benedict Bunchofnuts asked Hamilton about the sound/volume of the engines. I was surprised and thought this was a very pre-rehearsed/planted question to try and criticise the engines in a very public way. I could not work out why until Benedict revealed afterwards that Bernie had asked him to do the podium presentation personally….then it all made sense!

I actually prefer the old post race interviews. I know that these newer ones are great for the live crowds, but for the most part they seem to end up being awkward affairs, with random presentors who do not seem to know much about F1 and look like rabbits caught in headlights.

10. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 1st April 2014, 0:44

Haha ! I wonder how worried those guys are after watching Mercedes such a long way ahead of the others. The chances of the title being wrapped before Abu Dhabi look rather good at this stage.

I’m so wanting that to happen. Just to throw it all in the face of those idiots that keep twisting and turning and twisting again the shape of our sport, where not even the championship format remains unchanged.

11. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 1st April 2014, 0:45

Ferrari will be more powerful in China! hey, and McLaren in Spain and Monaco! and check this out!!! Red Bull will be much better in Barhain!!!
    Meanwhile, Will Mercedes be just like sitting ducks polishing their trophies? NO

12. Bradley Downton (@bradley13) said on 1st April 2014, 0:48

Double points season finale “good for Abu Dhabi”

Haha, April Fools! Nice one @keithcollantine!

Oh, you’re serious, someone actually said that?!

• reiter (@reiter) said on 1st April 2014, 2:00

Well it IS good. For Abu Dhabi. It’s bad for the rest of us though.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 1st April 2014, 17:55

@reiter I don’t think it is good for the race promoters. Between this and their style-over-substance excuse for a race track they’re coming to symbolise everything that is wrong with F1.

• reiter (@reiter) said on 1st April 2014, 18:54

Yes, I agree with you, but the promoters definitely don’t care about F1 from a sports-wise standpoint. They want a spectacle, a show; entertainment, and this is giving it to them. That’s what they want, that’s what they need, and that’s what double points is all about.

13. In_Silico (@insilico) said on 1st April 2014, 1:39

There was a documentary on BBC 2 last Sunday night which really was outstanding. Although it had nothing to do with F1, I couldn’t help but relate what I saw to Schumacher’s condition at the moment, as it was about patients being on the edge of life, whether it be because of cancer or brain injuries. I don’t think any words I could type in this post would accurately reflect how amazing I thought this was or the emotions I felt throughout. I’ll post the link to it here. I really do urge you to watch it.

• Gwan said on 1st April 2014, 7:25

Louis Theroux is always good (well, I thought last week’s wasn’t his best, but back on form this time). I couldn’t help but think of Schumacher as well, it was very moving.

14. schooner (@schooner) said on 1st April 2014, 2:04

Last race of the season…double points…double the laps. I’d be ok with that.

15. andrewf1 (@andrewf1) said on 1st April 2014, 2:37

Horner as usual, the master of deflection.
    Nobody blames drivers for having opinions. Everybody can have an opinion.

However, what you end up saying matters the most.

I think fans, the media and apparently even Horner have all become so used to drivers just singing the PR tune that they’ve begun to applaud the mere moment when a driver speaks more freely.
    The issue with what Sebastian did is not that he spoke freely, or even that he cursed, but that he unfairly ridiculed the sport with a rather naive and ignorant attitude – I’m talking about the whole ‘batteries belong in a cell phone only’ reply, not his childhood nostalgia.

• dennis (@dennis) said on 1st April 2014, 7:45

I don’t see the problem? Vettel can have his opinion. He expressed it. Can we move on whether people agree or disagree with it?

I think it’s actually quite unfair to call him naive or ignorant, when he shimply says how he would like the “sport” to be.

• Girts (@girts) said on 1st April 2014, 8:39

@andrewf1 I agree, Horner is right by allowing his drivers to speak their mind but I don’t like the way Vettel said it. Inability to express your opinion without swearing is not a sign of intelligence. If one doesn’t like Vettel or thinks that Alonso is a better driver, he can say it but calling Vettel names is unacceptable; the same goes for opinions on “the new F1″. I can also understand Jean Todt’s frustration as Vettel doesn’t have to think about the future of the sport, keeping Renault and bringing Honda back to F1.