Top ten pictures from the 2014 Malaysian Grand Prix

F1 Pictures

Ten of the best pictures which tell the story of the Malaysian Grand Prix weekend.

Kevin Magnussen, Saturday practice

Kevin Magnussen, McLaren, Sepang International Circuit, 2014

Kevin Magnussen locks a wheel during the final practice session. McLaren couldn’t find the same pace they enjoyed in Australia on the Malaysian circuit – both drivers finished in the points again, but Magnussen was penalised for contact with Kimi Raikkonen.

Marcus Ericsson, Qualifying

Start of Q1, Sepang International Circuit, 2014

Rain delayed the start of qualifying by 50 minutes, though once the command was given to start the session almost all the drivers considered it dry enough to use intermediate specification tyres.

Marcus Ericsson was unable to get away after queuing up at the pit lane exit and had to be pushed back to his garage for a ‘reboot’. Once he got out on track he brought proceedings to an early end by crashing at turn three.

Romain Grosjean, Qualifying

Romain Grosjean, Lotus, Sepang International Circuit, 2014

Romain Grosjean took advantage of the wet conditions to get his Lotus into Q2. He felt he could have done better but said he was held up by Nico Rosberg and failed to pit for new tyres when he needed to.

Fernando Alonso, Qualifying

Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, Sepang International Circuit, 2014

Although Ferrari were able to repair Fernando Alonso’s car following his contact with Daniil Kvyat, he still had problems with unevenly weighted steering. Nonetheless he managed to qualify on the second row.

Start, Malaysian Grand Prix

Start, Sepang International Circuit, 2014

As the race began Nico Rosberg passed Sebastian Vettel for second place despite being squeezed towards the pit wall.

Further back Jean-Eric Vergne, who started ninth, has already fallen back four places due to a problem with his power unit. Three corners later he tangled with Jules Bianchi, who is two places from the back of the field in this picture.

Sebastian Vettel, Daniel Ricciardo, Malaysian Grand Prix

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Sepang International Circuit, 2014

Daniel Ricciardo seized the chance to pass Sebastian Vettel at the start but his team mate took the place back with a straightforward move on lap four.

Felipe Massa, Valtteri Bottas, Malaysian Grand Prix

Felipe Massa, Williams, Sepang International Circuit, 2014

Williams had a diplomatic crisis on their hands after Felipe Massa spurned an order to let Valtteri Bottas through. Bottas had been instructed to hold his position earlier in the race.

After several laps of telling Massa to move over, Williams relented and advised Bottas to stay where he was, but the incident can hardly have been good for relations within the team.

Nico Hulkenberg, Lewis Hamilton, Malaysian Grand Prix

Nico Hulkenberg, Force India, Sepang International Circuit, 2014

The only time Lewis Hamilton was headed came during the first round of pit stops when Nico Hulkenberg, running a two-stop strategy, stayed out and led for half a lap.

Daniel Ricciardo, Malaysian Grand Prix

Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull, Sepang International Circuit, 2014

Ricciardo’s race went disastrously wrong when he was sent from his pit box with his front-left wheel not fully secured. As well as losing a lap in the pits he was given a time penalty and a ten-place grid drop for the next round.

Lewis Hamilton, Malaysian Grand Prix

Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, Sepang International Circuit, 2014

Hamilton congratulates his trusty steed on a job well done.

Share your Malaysian Grand Prix pictures and video

Images © McLaren/LAT, Caterham/LAT, Lotus/LAT, Ferrari/Ercole Colombo, Red Bull/Getty, Daimler/Hoch Zwei, Williams/LAT

28 comments on Top ten pictures from the 2014 Malaysian Grand Prix

1. Libellula (@ladyf1fanatic) said on 1st April 2014, 13:54

#LH44 Still the best… Like dust… Still I rise… Well done Lewis Hamilton!

2. kbdavies (@kbdavies) said on 1st April 2014, 13:56

I have to say that HAM’s all white combo seems to work well – at least in the image above. Thought i would miss the old helmet colours, but I actually like the new one.

3. Stretch (@stretch) said on 1st April 2014, 13:56

Feeling a bit cross eyed after staring at that Lotus for too long.

• GeeMac (@geemac) said on 1st April 2014, 14:27

I know what you mean. A lot of the cars are growing on me, I’m starting to not groan when I see the Force India and STR, but I just can’t get used to the E22.

• Bullfrog (@bullfrog) said on 1st April 2014, 14:47

I read this morning they have a different nose for the anti-clockwise circuits like Singapore and Austin. The longer tusk is on the other side.

I like it – it’s more like a proper nose than the amusingly-shaped ones. And reminds me a bit of the 1977 Lotus.

4. Sam (@) said on 1st April 2014, 14:07

I have yet to find a enormous list of ‘boring’ comments. I’m sure they would be somewhere if a certain German won in similar style.

Nice pictures though!

5. Neel Jani (@neelv27) said on 1st April 2014, 14:28

I love Lewis’ new look. Not only the hairdo but also his all white combo. Looks stunning to me. I know he is a lot about style which I don’t like him for but on this one, I love it.

6. DawnPiper (@dawnpiper) said on 1st April 2014, 14:59

Lewis is the Stig!

I like the watch printed on his left glove – clever.

7. Christopher (@twiinzspeed) said on 1st April 2014, 15:31

After seeing the aerial picture of Nico being squeezed at the start, I have changed my mind. Watching the race, I thought it was a typical move, but here it looks bad. If I were Nico, I’d be ticked. The stewards need clearer rules for this on starts. Vettel pushed him almost completely off track. (white line is track limit yes?)
    If the drivers have to leave enough space during regular passes, shouldn’t it be the same here?
    I remember Schumi getting a really bad rap at Interlagos when he pinched Rubens.(2009 or 10) I don’t think this is any different. 99% of the time, I like the stewards to leave them alone and let em race, but I think this needs to be addressed. Anyone agree or I am seeing more than what’s there???

• Nathan said on 1st April 2014, 16:33

The move is fine, plenty of room left. The stewards tend to be a little more relaxed on the rundown into turn 1 at the start of GP’s. Still has at least a quarter of his car width to go, in hindsight Vettel came him too much room.

Go Lewis, all white get-up looks good!

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 1st April 2014, 17:20

At the time I also thought it wasn’t too severe. But considering where the white line is, Vettel actually did push Rosberg off the track.

• mantresx (@mantresx) said on 1st April 2014, 19:37

It’s not the first time Sebastian does this, Japan 2011 springs to mind, but I think he was subconsciously being too aggressive to Nico because of what happened between them in qualifying.
      It’s also worth remembering that these two have a history, ever since Vettel back stabbed Rosberg by telling everyone about the secret Mercedes tyre test, so it will be interesting to see this rivalry now that they’ll be closer on the track.

• Deej92 (@deej92) said on 1st April 2014, 22:59

There is a good bit of tarmac outside of the white line, which I’m sure Vettel would have considered in that instance.
      For me, Vettel left Rosberg with enough breathing space. It didn’t justify any action from the stewards.

• Mike Dee (@mike-dee) said on 2nd April 2014, 9:38

I think there is enough space. He could have legitimately squeezed a bit harder.

Also note that Vettel said that he thought he had a good start and didn’t expect Rosberg to be even quicker, and that he moved to the right to get a tow from Hamilton. Not sure whether it is just an excuse but it seems plausible.

@twiinzspeed @matt90 @mantresx @deej92

8. SauberS1 (@saubers1) said on 1st April 2014, 22:16

Good pictures!

9. sato113 (@sato113) said on 1st April 2014, 23:18

love the hamilton pic.

10. These cars still look absolutely ridiculous.

11. Corrado (@corrado-dub) said on 2nd April 2014, 9:19

What does ESSO supply to McLaren ?!?