Maldonado given three penalties for Gutierrez collision

2014 Bahrain Grand Prix

Pastor Maldonado, Lotus, Bahrain International Circuit, 2014Pastor Maldonado has been penalised three times for his collision with Esteban Gutierrez during the Bahrain Grand Prix.

Maldonado had just left the pits when he hit the Sauber driver, flipping Gutierrez over and forcing him out of the race.

The stewards gave Maldonado a ten second stop-go penalty during the race and two further penalties.

Maldonado will also take a five-place grid penalty for the next race in China. And he has had three penalty points added to his licence.

The stewards also handed two more penalty points to Jules Bianchi for his contact with Adrian Sutil during the race, giving him a total of four for the season so far.

2014 Bahrain Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Bahrain Grand Prix articles

Image © Lotus/LAT

112 comments on Maldonado given three penalties for Gutierrez collision

1. Eoin (@eoin16) said on 6th April 2014, 18:15

Should have been 6 points in my opinion.

2. adamx84 said on 6th April 2014, 18:16

I don’t care how much (dirty) money he brings – he’s a bloody liability and a danger to everyone else.

3. Jackhammer said on 6th April 2014, 18:16

Dumb move by pastor…extreamly unneeded to put your nose on the inside at that point.

I do think goots could have given slightly more room, but it wouldn’t have mattered, there still would have been contact.

Another hit on on pastors already dismal reputation, but I really think the brakes an these cars are just horrible this year.

4. trotter said on 6th April 2014, 18:16

Bianchi? I could swear it was Suttil who drove really unfairly.

5. Batwing said on 6th April 2014, 18:17

Fair penalty. Stupid mistake really but he did drive well this race considering. Let’s not try to make the penalty based on the driver than what actually happened since we all know that a lot of people dislike him.

6. Egorov (@egorov) said on 6th April 2014, 18:18

That is too harsh for poor Maldonado… Remember there is no smoke without fire

7. David Margono (@woshidavid95) said on 6th April 2014, 18:22

I’d normally say this was too harsh but since Maldonado is a repeat offender… justified.

8. Aqib (@aqibqadeer) said on 6th April 2014, 18:24

I think he got away with it Ricardo’s penalty was harsher for what happened

9. Beo Wulf said on 6th April 2014, 18:26

For those who like stats, this means Maldonado has been involved in an incident for every race in 2014. Hope Lotus is finding Maldonado’s oil money worth it!

10. Niall said on 6th April 2014, 18:26

Perhaps they should penalise Maldonado in future by adding bumpers around his gokart, eh I mean, F1 car.

All joking aside, I think a 1-race ban as a minimum should have been served to him.

Then Lotus can follow tradition and rehire Kovalainen instead of Pic for the next race.

11. Mayank (@mjf1fan) said on 6th April 2014, 18:27

When I saw that accident I skipped my heart beat. Esteban is lucky to come out of this scary incident without getting seriously hurt.

Just 3 points added to Crashtor’s license!! His super license should be taken away and he should be banned from racing. He isnt suited to racing cars.

12. mfreire said on 6th April 2014, 18:29

Maldonado is dangerously unsympathetic towards other drivers and rules, which shouldn’t be tolerated. He should be given a 3 race suspension. He basically just drove into Guitierrez, refusing to accept that that corner was Guitierrez’s. The way Maldonado is, he shouldn’t even be driving in Formula One- he has had a constant stream of accidents and is always constantly aggressive to a dangerous degree- even though he is fast. It’s amazing his career has lasted even 2 seasons and he has even won a race. He should consider himself very lucky. And considering all the Venuzelan oil money he is bringing into Lotus, it’s easy to see why he got off lightly (as usual), he is helping the sport a lot by keeping one of its teams afloat.

13. alexf1man (@alexf1man) said on 6th April 2014, 18:30

This is ridiculous – Ricciardo gets a 10 place grid penalty for a team error, yet Maldonado is left to crash into people time and time again with a paltry 5 place grid penalty and 3 penalty points!

• alexf1man (@alexf1man) said on 6th April 2014, 18:32

Yes, there was also a 10 second stop and go but it didn’t do anything significant as he wasn’t really in the fight for points as it was!

14. Batwing said on 6th April 2014, 18:41

I’m curious, let’s say if Hulkenberg did this. Would you think this penalty is justified? Even Grosjean who has had more incidents than Maldonado in recent times. Would you guys think it is justified?

Let’s not focus on the driver just because it is someone several of UA dislike for several reasons. What he did was stupid and it looked worse because the car went upside down. But do you think that we are looking at it not on the incident but on the driver? Because I find that unfair in a way.

• Oscar (@oscar) said on 6th April 2014, 19:33

Unfair?
      Are you joking?????

• I too find it unfair a bit. Yes, Maldonado has had retarded crashes in the past, but I think Gutierrez has left him with too little space and looks like he missed the braking. Take a look at that gif and see Gutierrez’s path in Turn 1 and that Merc’s path later on. But Maldonado has a reputation plus he’s a complete lunatic.
      But that could be my complete indifference for human life speaking.

• batwing said on 7th April 2014, 2:36

A lot of drivers have had crashes like that. I mean if it was Hulkenberg who rammed into Maldonado, no one would bat any eye more or less. People let their dislike of certain drivers get in the way of proper judgement.

15. JohnH (@johnh) said on 6th April 2014, 18:43

So, 2 penalty points for blocking in qualy, 3 for flipping another car. What do you have to do to get 4 or more points? The stewards have now set a precedent that you only get 2 or 3 points.

• Oscar (@oscar) said on 6th April 2014, 19:38

killing another driver= 4 points
      killing ALL your crew = 5 points
      killing all your crew AND ALL spectators = 6 points
      killing everybody on earth = 3 points and one race ban

16. 3 is far too low. 6 would have made more sense.

• Royal-Spark (@royal-spark) said on 6th April 2014, 18:48

That still wouldn’t have been enough in my opinion. 12 on his license, disqualification from the race and a one race ban would’ve been more appropriate for such a vulgar and amateurish example of driving.

• Mads (@mads) said on 6th April 2014, 19:55

@royal-spark
        I don’t think it was nearly that bad.
        Sure it wasn’t the smartest piece of driving, but I don’t think we should let ourselves get carried away because the Sauber flipped.

17. Abba said on 6th April 2014, 18:47

Maldanado could have easily avoided the crash and this shows total lack of respect for anyone, life and limb and should have the threat of a life ban hanging over him, as far as i am concerned. I am not sure of of the points system and how it works but I dont believe anything they may have given him can be considered harsh

18. sam11333 (@sam11333) said on 6th April 2014, 18:49

I wouldn’t be surprised if we see Pic in that seat before the end of the season.

19. taurus (@taurus) said on 6th April 2014, 18:55

Wow there are some drama queens watching F1!! Its a crash, it happens.

20. Robi (@23king) said on 6th April 2014, 19:12

Ricciardo got a 10 place grid penalty for unsafe release, in that light, Maldonado should have also gotten atleast a 10 place grid penalty….only 5 feels for me a little unjustified…on the other hand where lotus is now, 5 place grid penalty means back of the grid anyways, i think.