Maldonado says Gutierrez left him “nowhere to go”

2014 Bahrain Grand Prix

Esteban Gutierrez, Sauber, Bahrain International Circuit, 2014Pastor Maldonado says Esteban Gutierrez could have done more to prevent the contact between the pair during the Bahrain Grand Prix.

The Lotus and Sauber drivers collided at turn one on lap 41 of the race as Maldonado emerged from the pits. Gutierrez’s car rolled over in the impact but Maldonado was able to finish the race.

The stewards held Maldonado responsible for the collision and handed him a penalty during the race, and penalty for the next race, and endorsement points on his licence.

However Maldonado said after the race he was not entirely to blame for the crash.

“We will need to have a look again at what happened as Esteban seemed to be off his line coming into turn one – maybe he missed his braking point, I don’t know – and by then I was in the corner with nowhere to go.

“For sure it’s difficult to understand and I was coming out from the pits and with cold tyres. I think he was very unlucky and it’s good he jumped straight out of the car.”

Gutierrez has been released from hospital having been taken there for further checks following his admission to the circuit’s medical centre.

“I was completely surprised that Pastor, who came out of the pits, ran into me,” he said.

“I was clearly in front of him. I turned into the corner and I was suddenly hit and I rolled over. There was nothing much I could do.”

2014 Bahrain Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Bahrain Grand Prix articles

Image © Sauber

108 comments on Maldonado says Gutierrez left him “nowhere to go”

1. Traverse (@) said on 6th April 2014, 21:24

Maldonado is a self-obsessed megalomaniac. If Bernie is still looking for a successor, I think Mr Pastor ‘nothing-is-my-fault’ Maldonado might just be the perfect candidate.

2. Lewis McMurray (@celicadion23) said on 6th April 2014, 21:28

you could maybe attribute 2% or 3% of the blame to Gutierrez, but only on the grounds that he should know by now you need to give Maldonado five times as much room as anyone else :P shame on you Esteban, you need to make way for the self-appointed king of F1.

Seriously Pastor come off it, bottom line is Gutierrez was on the track, in front of you, with the line, and you ploughed into the side of him.

3. Aced (@aced) said on 6th April 2014, 21:49

Yes, he most certainly left you “nowhere to go”, because that’s where you were going, absolutely “nowhere” at all.

4. Mike Dee (@mike-dee) said on 6th April 2014, 21:50

I think it clearly was Gutierrez’s mistake: He turns right in the middle of the straight whereas Maldonado continues straight on.

And what is this “Turn 1″ you are talking about?

5. DavidS (@davids) said on 6th April 2014, 23:08

Nope, sorry Pastor. It’s entirely your fault.
    You say that Gutierrez missed his braking point, which he did. But if he didn’t, you would’ve ploughed into him in a slightly more spectacular fashion.

I don’t think the penalty was harsh enough. It was just plain reckless, and what he’s said shows that he doesn’t see the error of his ways, and is making no attempt at fixing them. This is before you take into account his previous history of very dangerous behaviour, some of which can be attributed to a malicious streak.

He has no place in F1.

6. Andre Furtado (@f1andy83) said on 7th April 2014, 0:39

Dear mr. Crashonaldo if having car insurance was a requirement to race you wouldn’t be able to race because of no one would insure you.

7. Irejag (@irejag) said on 7th April 2014, 1:08

Did the super low nose have any effect on this accident? I can’t seem to find a decent replay of the incident that show the actual point of impact.

8. MarkM (@mpmark) said on 7th April 2014, 1:28

crazy Maldonado at his best, it was his stupid driving that turned this into a great race in the end, almost like Nascar where they purposely have a yellow just 10 laps before the finish…knowing the FIA I wouldn’t be surprised if they see this safety car as a opportunity for 10 lap shootouts to the end lol…

9. Sauber (@mumito) said on 7th April 2014, 1:53

It’s funny how MAL, BIA and MAG tried to cover their mistakes. They do not know that by the time they’re interviewed everybody replayed their mistakes at least twice. GRO used to be a crush dummy. With time patiente and money he learnt. MAG might be nervous and want to show the second place in Australia wasnt luck….but he has commited several mistakes. BIA is going down the road since Hungary 2013, hope he can get out of his nightmare. MAL is beyond salvation. Enjoying venezuelans money driving the F1 dream. The best seat money can afford. Lauda’s envy.

10. jbone said on 7th April 2014, 2:26

Denying something when caught red handed = perfect politician.

11. Romesh82 (@romesh82) said on 7th April 2014, 2:37

He is not taking responsibility for any of his mistakes..

That is the scariest thing of all..

12. Chris said on 7th April 2014, 2:40

I only saw the incident replay from onboard and over head once. Didn’t see pm’s car from eg’s onboard and the over head showed pm ahead on the run into the braking zone for the corner. Pm could & should have braked harder for that bend, but I’ve not seen any evidence yet that either driver new each other was there much before the collision. 1/10 sec could have avoided this crash.
    I’d like to see clear evidence of pastors crime and also see the punishment applied consistently for other drivers in the same situation, not just throw the book at a driver because he’s unpopular.

13. Romesh82 (@romesh82) said on 7th April 2014, 2:40

FIA cares so much about Safety in F1. First and foremose get rid of this reckless driver.. then F1 will be safer more with out any rule changes or car design changes.

14. Cole (@cole) said on 7th April 2014, 2:41

Pastor, Pastor…..
    You should ask about Gutierrez condition and apologise, not blaming the poor guy.

I know rules are rules, but I find ridiculous having Ricciardo given 10 places for the unsafe release from the pits, and Maldonado having 5 for nearly killing a guy.

15. Cole (@cole) said on 7th April 2014, 2:45

Pastor, Pastor…..

The fact he is blaming Gutierrez is even worst, because if he doesn’t accept his fault he will probably do it again.