Maldonado says Gutierrez left him “nowhere to go”

2014 Bahrain Grand Prix

Esteban Gutierrez, Sauber, Bahrain International Circuit, 2014Pastor Maldonado says Esteban Gutierrez could have done more to prevent the contact between the pair during the Bahrain Grand Prix.

The Lotus and Sauber drivers collided at turn one on lap 41 of the race as Maldonado emerged from the pits. Gutierrez’s car rolled over in the impact but Maldonado was able to finish the race.

The stewards held Maldonado responsible for the collision and handed him a penalty during the race, and penalty for the next race, and endorsement points on his licence.

However Maldonado said after the race he was not entirely to blame for the crash.

“We will need to have a look again at what happened as Esteban seemed to be off his line coming into turn one – maybe he missed his braking point, I don’t know – and by then I was in the corner with nowhere to go.

“For sure it’s difficult to understand and I was coming out from the pits and with cold tyres. I think he was very unlucky and it’s good he jumped straight out of the car.”

Gutierrez has been released from hospital having been taken there for further checks following his admission to the circuit’s medical centre.

“I was completely surprised that Pastor, who came out of the pits, ran into me,” he said.

“I was clearly in front of him. I turned into the corner and I was suddenly hit and I rolled over. There was nothing much I could do.”

2014 Bahrain Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Bahrain Grand Prix articles

Image © Sauber

108 comments on Maldonado says Gutierrez left him “nowhere to go”

1. Andre Furtado (@f1andy83) said on 7th April 2014, 0:39

Dear mr. Crashonaldo if having car insurance was a requirement to race you wouldn’t be able to race because of no one would insure you.

2. Irejag (@irejag) said on 7th April 2014, 1:08

Did the super low nose have any effect on this accident? I can’t seem to find a decent replay of the incident that show the actual point of impact.

3. MarkM (@mpmark) said on 7th April 2014, 1:28

crazy Maldonado at his best, it was his stupid driving that turned this into a great race in the end, almost like Nascar where they purposely have a yellow just 10 laps before the finish…knowing the FIA I wouldn’t be surprised if they see this safety car as a opportunity for 10 lap shootouts to the end lol…

4. Sauber (@mumito) said on 7th April 2014, 1:53

It’s funny how MAL, BIA and MAG tried to cover their mistakes. They do not know that by the time they’re interviewed everybody replayed their mistakes at least twice. GRO used to be a crush dummy. With time patiente and money he learnt. MAG might be nervous and want to show the second place in Australia wasnt luck….but he has commited several mistakes. BIA is going down the road since Hungary 2013, hope he can get out of his nightmare. MAL is beyond salvation. Enjoying venezuelans money driving the F1 dream. The best seat money can afford. Lauda’s envy.

5. jbone said on 7th April 2014, 2:26

Denying something when caught red handed = perfect politician.

6. Romesh82 (@romesh82) said on 7th April 2014, 2:37

He is not taking responsibility for any of his mistakes..

That is the scariest thing of all..

7. Chris said on 7th April 2014, 2:40

I only saw the incident replay from onboard and over head once. Didn’t see pm’s car from eg’s onboard and the over head showed pm ahead on the run into the braking zone for the corner. Pm could & should have braked harder for that bend, but I’ve not seen any evidence yet that either driver new each other was there much before the collision. 1/10 sec could have avoided this crash.
    I’d like to see clear evidence of pastors crime and also see the punishment applied consistently for other drivers in the same situation, not just throw the book at a driver because he’s unpopular.

8. Romesh82 (@romesh82) said on 7th April 2014, 2:40

FIA cares so much about Safety in F1. First and foremose get rid of this reckless driver.. then F1 will be safer more with out any rule changes or car design changes.

9. Cole (@cole) said on 7th April 2014, 2:41

Pastor, Pastor…..
    You should ask about Gutierrez condition and apologise, not blaming the poor guy.

I know rules are rules, but I find ridiculous having Ricciardo given 10 places for the unsafe release from the pits, and Maldonado having 5 for nearly killing a guy.

10. Cole (@cole) said on 7th April 2014, 2:45

Pastor, Pastor…..

The fact he is blaming Gutierrez is even worst, because if he doesn’t accept his fault he will probably do it again.

11. Ed Marques (@edmarques) said on 7th April 2014, 3:27

Brakes Pastor, your car have brakes and you should have used them. It was Guti corner, not yours.
    The fact that he can’t accept his mistakes makes him even worse.

12. David Margono (@woshidavid95) said on 7th April 2014, 3:33

Maldonado turned Gutierrez’s world upside-down… literally :P

13. Mickrock (@mickrock) said on 7th April 2014, 4:08

Pastor, the brake on the left, accelerator is on the right, steering wheel is in the middle.

14. Diego (@ironcito) said on 7th April 2014, 5:04

This accident is further proof that Newey may have been right about the danger of the low noses. Maldonado’s car flipped that Sauber pretty easily by wedging under it.

• Mersault said on 7th April 2014, 13:29

Except that this isn’t what happened. Their wheels touched.

• Deej92 (@deej92) said on 7th April 2014, 14:33

Despite the concerns about the low noses (which I share, they are too low and potentially highly dangerous), it looks like a clash wheels caused the car to flip.

• Diego (@ironcito) said on 7th April 2014, 23:56

I watched the replays on YouTube and it’s not very clear, but it does seem like the tip of the Lotus’ left tusk breaks when the Sauber is flipped. Either way, those noses aren’t very safe.

15. charles (@charles) said on 7th April 2014, 5:21

try the outside
    or using brakes

16. AmbroseRPM (@ambroserpm) said on 7th April 2014, 5:38

Hasn’t he got a brake pedal? Or doesn’t he know how to use it?

17. KaIIe (@kaiie) said on 7th April 2014, 7:32

I think the one who missed his braking point was Maldonado, not Gutierrez…

18. bharat (@bharat141) said on 7th April 2014, 7:43

Esteban checked
    Who is next on the list?? Rookies of 2014??

19. newtoybox said on 7th April 2014, 9:02

As Maldonado predicted his driving has transformed Lotus and also, Williams are performing rather better this year without Maldoado and his oil money? Glad to be rid of him I would think

20. Abuelo Paul (@abuello-paul) said on 7th April 2014, 9:17

The man is total liability and should be removed from F1. His style of driving and attitude on track are skills more suitably placed for stock car racing. He would do well at Belle Vue cinder track. Maybe when someone gets seriously hurt the FIA will see reason.