Maldonado says Gutierrez left him “nowhere to go”

2014 Bahrain Grand Prix

Esteban Gutierrez, Sauber, Bahrain International Circuit, 2014Pastor Maldonado says Esteban Gutierrez could have done more to prevent the contact between the pair during the Bahrain Grand Prix.

The Lotus and Sauber drivers collided at turn one on lap 41 of the race as Maldonado emerged from the pits. Gutierrez’s car rolled over in the impact but Maldonado was able to finish the race.

The stewards held Maldonado responsible for the collision and handed him a penalty during the race, and penalty for the next race, and endorsement points on his licence.

However Maldonado said after the race he was not entirely to blame for the crash.

“We will need to have a look again at what happened as Esteban seemed to be off his line coming into turn one – maybe he missed his braking point, I don’t know – and by then I was in the corner with nowhere to go.

“For sure it’s difficult to understand and I was coming out from the pits and with cold tyres. I think he was very unlucky and it’s good he jumped straight out of the car.”

Gutierrez has been released from hospital having been taken there for further checks following his admission to the circuit’s medical centre.

“I was completely surprised that Pastor, who came out of the pits, ran into me,” he said.

“I was clearly in front of him. I turned into the corner and I was suddenly hit and I rolled over. There was nothing much I could do.”

2014 Bahrain Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Bahrain Grand Prix articles

Image © Sauber

108 comments on Maldonado says Gutierrez left him “nowhere to go”

1. Slava (@slava) said on 7th April 2014, 13:52

I think from now on teams will be telling their drivers “There is Maldonado on track! Be careful, and wait until he drives away”.
    These are absolutely not acceptable comments like this. Terrible racer, terrible man.

2. 330 4HL said on 7th April 2014, 17:10

Is Pastor Maldonado the only driver in history for whom an “unsafe release” is any where he is allowed on track…..?

3. Michael Brown (@) said on 7th April 2014, 17:53

I supported him in 2012 because he had shown great speed, but now in his fourth year he still hasn’t done anything about getting into incidents

4. -billadama- (@billadama-2) said on 7th April 2014, 20:40

Maldonado is stupid it was his fault for the crash he left the pit lane and got straight into Esteban way. An irresponsible drive from Pastor this time let’s hope that he bounce back.

5. Dennis the menace (@) said on 8th April 2014, 3:16

One issue I haven’t heard anyone touch on is the FIA stance on this. Malanaldo ran straight into a car in an accident that should have never happened and flipped a car putting a driver in hospital and he gets a drive through and 5 place grid penalty. The week before Ricciardo at no fault of his gets released with a loose wheel nut and immediately pushed back to the pit (not causing any harm to anyone but himself) and he gets given a stop and go penalty and a 10 place grid penalty. Wake up FIA, seriously.

6. is Pastor Maldonado related to Maduro?
    They speak the same way, denying the reality.
    they live in another world.

7. Grego Franco (@francogrego) said on 8th April 2014, 6:53

He should be F1’s crash test dummy next year.

8. Crashtor Malfunctionado said on 8th April 2014, 12:42

Gutierrez: “Whoa! What was that?”

Brundle: “Its a Maldonado!”