Rate the race: 2014 Bahrain Grand Prix

2014 Bahrain Grand Prix

Sergio Perez, Force India, Bahrain International Circuit, 2014What did you think of today’s race? Share your verdict on the Bahrain Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

[poll id="480"]

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

You need an F1 Fanatic account to vote. Register an account here or read more about registering here. When this poll is closed the result will be displayed instead of the voting form.

See the results for past seasons here:

2014 Bahrain Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Bahrain Grand Prix articles

Image © Force India

441 comments on Rate the race: 2014 Bahrain Grand Prix

1. Nesto said on 7th April 2014, 1:53

I’m an Alonso/Ferrari fan and that race was a 10/10. Most exciting in years. It was about the performance differences between teams, thats why teammates were together and we don’t get THAT many intrateam battles in a single race… EVER. Super fun to watch and can’t believe Nico couldn’t get passed and keep position despite being on softs. Thats why Hamilton will take WDC this year, hes simply better.

With a safety car near the end, gaps closed down and a 10-lap sprint to the end, the Merc drivers still finished 24+ seconds ahead of everyone WHILE battling eachother. Yes, everyone else was battling too but it shows Merc’s supremacy.

2. schumonen said on 7th April 2014, 2:04

3 would be a good rate for this sad spectacle they called a race today. Not sure how 47% of you guys say the race was good ? It was because LH won ? I don’t get it. This is the best of the 3 races this year but wow what an awful “race”. Everybody struggling from the start, watching % of fuel consumed ? are you kidding me ? now even with drs they can’t pass, one team doing 2secs faster laps than the others ? cars flying cause the new noses are like a level to pull up cars from the road ? first lap message to Rosberg was to save fuel ? wow, if you thought Pirrelli’s last years fiasco was awful, this new year is the WORST year in F1 history no doubt about it.

• gwenouille (@gwenouille) said on 7th April 2014, 7:49

Oh dear… I almost feel for you, you seem so sad.

• stevensanph said on 7th April 2014, 8:10

first lap message to Rosberg was to watch the tire use as they were planning to go longer than Lewis. It almost worked as he had better tires at the end of the stint.

Lewis got told twice during the race that he was good on fuel and to use the ‘overtake’ when needed. Rosberg was given similar messages.

The noses weren’t at fault for the barrel role – that was caused by tire to tire and Maldanado being blind. There was racing up and down the field. Who cares if its two teammates fighting for the win. For the last five years we have had one car way out in front on his own. At least now we have 2 evenly matched drivers being allowed to race hard while there is nothing in the battle behind them. The tires worked great as they went off enough that 3 stops became attractive but not obviously the best. Fuel wasn’t an issue. DRS was the best it has ever been, allowing the pack to stay close to together and we finally got to see just how much pace the Merc’s actually have.

Incredible race. If you moan about that, then go and watch a different sport cause this was one of the best races I have seen in years.

• maxthecat said on 7th April 2014, 13:02

Is that you Mr di Montezemolo?

3. renton said on 7th April 2014, 2:15

Let’s hope, the guys didn’t used up all the mojo that was available for this year. Btw, I think the stewards could’ve punished LH and Massa for their not too fair moves but that would have hurt Nico’s reputation.

4. FrankFH (@frankfh) said on 7th April 2014, 4:15

Unbelievable race, teammates fighting it out, Force India and Williams racing at the front, last minute nail bitter, best race in memory (maybe I have a short memory)!

10/10

5. Kim Philby (@philby) said on 7th April 2014, 7:05

Gave it 1/10! Watching Ferrari drivers struggling with what is the absolutely worst Ferrari car I can remember was a pain to watch!

• gwenouille (@gwenouille) said on 7th April 2014, 7:46

Haven’t you read the taxt above ?
      “Please vote based on how entertaining and exciting you thought the race was, not on how your preferred driver or team performed.”

How could you rate that race 1/10 ???

• Kim Philby (@philby) said on 7th April 2014, 8:02

Yes I know the rules but for me f1 without Ferrari isn’t exciting!

• jh1806 (@jh1806) said on 7th April 2014, 8:13

At least we know to remove the votes for ’1′ before we calculate the average then.

• Kim Philby (@philby) said on 7th April 2014, 8:38

I don’t understand why you should do that. Think what you may about my reasoning behind my voting but I am still a viewer and a very loyal f1 fan. Each and every one wants to see something, you ‘d be gravely mistaken if you think I only watch f1 to see my favorite team win. I want to see Ferrari fight even when it gets beaten by more skilled opponents I want to see retire because of a huge effort! I didn’t enjoy 2002 or 2004 but it sure as anything it was better than 2013 or 1992 or 2014 looks to be.

6. money (@carlos-danger) said on 7th April 2014, 8:20

what a race

7. bebilou (@bebilou) said on 7th April 2014, 8:26

9/10 Almost perfect race with great fights everywhere on the field. The race for the lead was outstanding.

Why not perfect ? Because Mercedes, despite giving us a wonderful show, was waaaay in front of the other teams. But if the Hamilton/Rosberg fight goes on like this on every race, I’m happy !

• bebilou (@bebilou) said on 7th April 2014, 8:34

Nevertheless, don’t forget that F1 2014 racing is still (and sadly) about fuel&tyre management. Drivers were told on radio to save fuel, like in the first 2 races. They were not able to push to the limit during the entire race, even if they pushed more than in Australia & Malaysia.

So maybe what we saw in Bahrain was exceptionnal, due to race circumstances/track configuration.

8. Vince Duggan (@vince-dugganvirginactive-co-za) said on 7th April 2014, 10:06

Lessons to be learned from the best race for several seasons:

Races are good when there is a lot of competition. Most of the competition in this race was between teammates, because their cars where closely matched. There were also some nice midfield dices between closely matched cars like Force In dia, Ferrari and Williams.

The lesson is to get a lot of teams able to produce similarly matched cars, so that up to ten different cars could win on the day.

How to do that? Reduce the cost of producing a competitive car. You do that not by putting unenforcable cost caps, but by reducing what designers can do. They spend a fortune on getting the last 0.01% of aero performance. Just reduce the complexity allowed, by having simpler wings, underbody aero etc, then freeze development after (say) 5 races. Chassis and suspension etc can be done as well. Then it comes down to power of the engine. That’s already frozen, but should perhaps only be frozen after (say) one full season, and then kept for 2 more. Allow certain upgrades at the end of each season to allow for proper R&D (which is what we want anyway, R&D that can be transferred to road cars)

If this means that GP2 catches up, then do similar things in that class, and so on down…

9. TBone (@tbone) said on 7th April 2014, 11:23

Awesome race, full of tension, drama and amazing racing throughout. Not the ratings page I know but I’ve given it a 9

In the context of a divisive new formula with all the impact on engine sounds, new aero rules and car aesthetics, fuel saving, reliability and tyres not up to the increased torque demands, it was a wonderful riposte from Formula 1 to Bernie, LDM and the other bashers and right under their (ugly) noses too.

Yesterday we had a dry race at a hitherto boring track where the tyres were both able to withstand punishment and the compounds were close enough to make alternative strategies workable. Fuel saving didn’t appear to be too much of an issue either, though no doubt the safety car helped with both tyres and fuel. Nor was there a reliability disaster with cars dropping out left right and centre. And, finally, we seem to have a DRS which gets cars alongside one another at the braking point so that the move isn’t over halfway along the pit straight.

This is different to 2011-2013 – while we have one team which is undeniably stronger than the rest, we seem to have two drivers who are relatively evenly matched and who are allowed to race. No Mulit-21 here. At the moment, Rosberg is leading and on the pace, though I think Hamilton is the more complete racer. In previous years how many times was Mark Webber anonymous in races where Vettel ran away with it? This reminds me more of Prost v Senna in 89 or Hill v Villeneuve in 1996 than Schumi in 2000-2004 or Vettel in 2011.

Why not a 10? Probably being really stingy but the only things lacking (and possibly ominous) for me were a driver from another team being able to compete with the two Mercs and the fact that the final 10 laps were made all the more dramatic because of the safety car. For me an ideal race would be one with close racing throughout that wasn’t dependent on a random event (Singapore ’08 aside) like a safety car or rain. What the safety car did mean was that the Mercs went hammer and tongs at each other for ten laps without having to worry about fuel or tyres too much. And when they were freed from those constraints, I am still shocked at how quick they were. All the more credit goes to Mercedes then for letting them race.

My only hope is that we have more races like this, at least one other team catches up in Europe and that the titles are sewn up by Brazil so we don’t have either Rosberg or Hamilton lucking into a WDC because of the double points rule.

10. maxthecat said on 7th April 2014, 12:58

9/10. Great race, lots if excitement, no team orders and at night. However, one great race doesn’t fix the current issues. The first two races were the most boring i’ve seen in a long time. Hopefully the rest of the season will be as great at Bahrain and then the critics, myself included, will shut up and enjoy the racing.

11. Chaz (@chaz) said on 7th April 2014, 15:56

Fantastic race although it is questionable as to whether the safety car should have been deployed.

12. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 7th April 2014, 18:23

8 out of 10, may be deserve 9 but Pastor did something stupid and FIA needs to LOOK in it.

If this Race don’t make you FEEL alive then nothing on EARTH will

13. PJA (@pja) said on 7th April 2014, 20:53

What a race, I gave it a 9.

I only saw the BBC highlights show and it is never the same if I don’t see the full race live, I never enjoy it as much, but I still thought it was still one of the best races for ages.

After the opening two Grand Prix my expectations were not that high, but as the race went I kept increasing the rating I would give the race, when it finished I probably would have given it a 8.5 rounded up to a 9 but having given it some more thought and factored in the fact I didn’t see the race in full I changed this to a 9 outright.

I shows all the people complaining about the new regulations after the first two were a bit premature.

14. bigwilk (@bigwilk) said on 8th April 2014, 3:03

10/10 for racing, but gave it 8/10 because it was in Bahrain. Politics aside, there isn’t the interest there for F1 and that was very apparent in the half-empty stands. You can hear the crowds this year and in any traditional F1 country they would have been deafening with action like that!

15. Pink Peril (@pink-peril) said on 8th April 2014, 4:58

I gave it 8. 4 for the first 46 laps, 3 for the final 10 and an extra point because this was just about the only interesting race the track formerly known as ‘Bore-rain’ has ever produced.