Rate the race: 2014 Bahrain Grand Prix

2014 Bahrain Grand Prix

Sergio Perez, Force India, Bahrain International Circuit, 2014What did you think of today’s race? Share your verdict on the Bahrain Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

[poll id="480"]

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

You need an F1 Fanatic account to vote. Register an account here or read more about registering here. When this poll is closed the result will be displayed instead of the voting form.

See the results for past seasons here:

2014 Bahrain Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Bahrain Grand Prix articles

Image © Force India

441 comments on Rate the race: 2014 Bahrain Grand Prix

1. NickF12013 (@nickf12013) said on 6th April 2014, 17:49

Yeah Bahrain is sooooo boring…

2. sars (@sars) said on 6th April 2014, 17:49

OMGosh, Superb race……

Well done Lewis and well done Nico these silver arrows are mighty. Good work Ricciardo, nice move on SV.

Boring this wasn’t, can we please put to bed this negativity now

3. JCost (@jcost) said on 6th April 2014, 17:49

Not a ten because it was a Mercedes only afair for P1 but this race is slap in the face of those looking down on this brave new world of Formula 1.

Take the “Mercedes Domination Show” out of the equation and you have a packed field with lots of overtaking opportunities to grab and when this happen the result usually is great racing.

“The Mercedes Domination Show – World Tour” continues, nest stop: Shanghai :)

On Lewis and Nico, very good race but gotta single out Mr. Hamilton for his ability to fight back overtakes.

• Ricardo Ferreira (@yes-master) said on 6th April 2014, 17:59

How come “take the Mercedes…out of the equation”?!? If you rate the race, you have to rate everything, right? Or there is two F1 championships? One for Merc and another for the rest?

Honestly, I can’t understand. Last year everyone was annoyed that RBR won everything, bla, bla, bla, no competition, bla, bla, bla. But last year we had three different winners for the first three races. And this year, not only we have two, as we already know that they’ll (nico and ham) going to fight to win the next race, and the next after, bla, bla, bla.

And we saw the rest of the teams (force, rbr, willians, ferrari) on a 20 seconds distance?!? After the safety car? Yeah, great F1 indeed!

• JCost (@jcost) said on 6th April 2014, 18:32

@yes-master Man I just took Merc out to point that the rest is very compact. I’m sure if Merc manages to stay as a domination force for 3/4 straight years it will be a major problem for me as fan of racing but it’s a 3 races old new era and I hope other catch up before the end of this season (hoping for the best but expecting the worst anyway).

Their advantage is big (managed to build a 24s lead in 10 laps!) but it is up to others to do their job better. Unfortunately we get some dominant force more often than not. In the last 20 years we’ve had Ferrari, Renault (at some point), Brawn, Red Bull and now Mercedes…

• Ricardo Ferreira (@yes-master) said on 6th April 2014, 20:22

@jcost I realized that. Don’t take it some kind of attack. Not my purpose.
          But, what you confirmed is my point. Nothing changed. Or, wait, something change, the winning team. Till this moment, they failed to bring back the competition promised, as a way to end a F1 only-one-team-can-and-will-win-championship. You see, this race was good, or very good, in the last 15 laps or so, due to the safety car’s entry. That’s a fact which we shouldn’t set aside when rating the race. And compact group battles, F1 races always had, but not for the championship title…so nothing changed there too. And that said, what really changed for better?

• atta said on 6th April 2014, 20:41

This was the best F1 races for many years.
          The downside for me is that I don’t see any other team managing to catch up the 2 to 3 second gap to Merc for a very long time; it’s going to take years.
          Second negative is the racing is going to be in two parts. Lewis & Nico racing for 1st & 2nd – and then the other Merc powered teams racing for the 3rd through 8th. Only with a bit of luck will Red Bull have a shout.
          Ferrari and all the remaining Ferrari powered teams are a really sad sight. Especially in the hands of Fernando and Kimi.
          As a Ferrari, Kimi and Fernando fan, I only hope that there is quick and significant change at Ferrari – so that this once proud racing heritage can recover some pride!

4. Ricardo Ferreira (@yes-master) said on 6th April 2014, 17:49

Another boring race. Ofc it was fun to watch Nico vs Ham, but if the new f1 championship is going to be only that, i’m sorry to say, what a waste.

I still can’t find to see what are the positive aspects of the regulations changes. Maybe in the future, when the F1 comes to Europe. But, for now F1 is only Merc, and only in the third race we saw some kind of competition between…the mercedes pilots. Ok, a round 6.

• magon4 (@magon4) said on 6th April 2014, 17:52

@yes-master, it seems clear that you haven’t watched many F1 seasons yet. At least based on this comment.
      Some of the best seasons have been a man against man dispute. And the racing was fantastic today!

• Ricardo Ferreira (@yes-master) said on 6th April 2014, 18:06

@magon4, yeas, you’re right, I start watchin F1 today. And you know what? Was boring! Do you know why? Check the distance between the second to the third…even with a safety car in with 15 laps to the finish. Do the math.

What I’m trying to say is, if the reason to make so many changes was to bring back competition, something is clearly failing. And as the challenge was to rate the race, not only the last 5 laps between mercedes pilots (which I agree, was a great dispute, the best till now), i have to give a 6.

• You seem to have misunderstood why the new rules were brought in. It wasn’t to bring back competition as you say, but because the old rules were relying on old technologies that were becoming increasingly obsolete and ran the risk of the engine manufacturers upping and leaving the sport because of their increasingly irrelevance.

Tightening up the gap between teams was what people hoped would happen as a consequence of the rule change, in response to the fact Red Bull have had the best car for the past few years. It was not however a reason why they changed the rules. And so what if the Mercedes is streets ahead, they did by far the best job and it is up to the other teams to catch up. At least they have two evenly matched drivers who will push each other all season long. Unlike last year where you knew Vettel would win by the end of the first lap. That was some of the best racing wheel to wheel for ages, not just the Mercedes but behind them as well.

• magon4 (@magon4) said on 6th April 2014, 18:18

Ricardo, F1 is not about each and every car having the same capacity. Then Indy or GP2 are a better sport. We have had many seasons where one car was better than all the others, and some of those championships have been very exciting (Senna vs Prost in the 80s), some have been boring (Mansell vs Patrese, for example). All is good. Race was fantastic!

• Ricardo Ferreira (@yes-master) said on 6th April 2014, 20:37

@debaser91 @magon4 Well, I think we agree on almost everything. I understand the purpose of the rules, but as we all know, F1 lacks competition for a long long time now. And I mean competition to win the championship. I know that F1 is not about each car having the same capacity. I know that. And because of that I never understood why so many people criticized Vettel and RBR for straight winnings. But, since they changed everything, and promised better competition, I thought something new and exciting would happen and put F1 to another level…but no, or not yet. Like I said, today’s race, concerned to the title competition, only started with the safety car entry. And for me, that’s not quite exciting as having a race from the beginning, like it should be by now. Will be interesting to see the audience rate level this year. And like you all, I’m not against F1 innovations, au contraire, I want F1 to get better and better. I love F1 as you all do! And these last 15 laps (not the entire race) should be the example for the rest of the championship.

• William Stuart (@williamstuart) said on 6th April 2014, 19:41

Did you not watch the pack fighting for the podium just behind?

• JCost (@jcost) said on 6th April 2014, 23:38

It’s not a spec series and the risk of a team emerging as a dominant force is very likely. FIA tries its best with rules, but falls short of a spec series a la Indy or feeder series like GP2. F1 history has taught us that as technology matures tops teams tend to be closer to each other, sure 2,5 seconds a lap is too much but it’s so new to everyone that we can’t really predict much.

In fact, F1 is not very different for other non-spec series. Even in rally we see emergence of dominant machines at some point. Look at Moto GP usually praised by many, but the last few years you could only aspire for victories if you were riding either for Honda or Yamaha…

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 10th April 2014, 10:27

@yes-master

if the reason to make so many changes was to bring back competition

It wasn’t.

• Humm, maybe officially. But I think the people that in work in Mercedes team have a different opinion (probably non public) on that. Merc was about to leave F1 because….? Lack of efficiency, they say? I don’t think so. I believe they wanted to win. Simple as that. And they should! But they couldn’t. So, we can discuss the purpose of the changes, is F1 greener, should motors make more noise, etc, but, in the end of the day, all they want is to be more competitive. And Merc saw the opportunity coming in 2009. Because, without these changes no team except RBR could be an excepted winning team. But, now, that changed. Mercedes is clearly the winning team for this year. We’ll have a group of 4/5 teams fighting for the podium (most of the time, for 3rd places) and that’s it. Hopefully, we’ll have a two pilot fight for the title. That be good. It would be like always was. No great change there. But I want more. I desire at least 3 teams fighting for the title. Now, are these rules changes able to open that kind of scenario, even if we want to believe the major reason was to make cars more efficient? Don’t know. Can’t say for the moment. Like lot’s of fans said, F1 was not able yet to make a 3 team title fight. So, I think this is a unique opportunity to change that. But, no team has shown to be able to follow Merc, so, in this point, I’m a little pessimistic. Hey, but shan’t stop watching F1! And if the rest of the season is going to be as good as it was in the last 15 laps of the Bahrain GP (not the entire race), for me that’s fine :)

• @keithcollantine, Humm, maybe officially, Keith. But I think the people that in work in Mercedes team have a different opinion (probably non public) on that. Merc was about to leave F1 because….? Lack of efficiency, they say? I don’t think so. I believe they wanted to win. Simple as that. And they should! But they couldn’t. So, we can discuss the purpose of the changes, is F1 greener, should motors make more noise, etc, but, in the end of the day, all they want is to be more competitive. And Merc saw the opportunity coming in 2009. Because, without these changes no team except RBR could be an excepted winning team. But, now, that changed. Mercedes is clearly the winning team for this year. We’ll have a group of 4/5 teams fighting for the podium (most of the time, for 3rd places) and that’s it. Hopefully, we’ll have a two pilot fight for the title. That be good. It would be like always was. No great change there. But I want more. I desire at least 3 teams fighting for the title. Now, are these rules changes able to open that kind of scenario, even if we want to believe the major reason was to make cars more efficient? Don’t know. Can’t say for the moment. Like lot’s of fans said, F1 was not able yet to make a 3 team title fight. So, I think this is a unique opportunity to change that. But, no team has shown to be able to follow Merc, so, in this point, I’m a little pessimistic. Hey, but shan’t stop watching F1! And if the rest of the season is going to be as good as it was in the last 15 laps of the Bahrain GP (not the entire race), for me that’s fine :)

• Albert said on 6th April 2014, 17:52

Trying a bit too hard to sound edgy, aren’t we.

• Ricardo Ferreira (@yes-master) said on 6th April 2014, 18:22

Probably not so euphoric as the majority. If I have to give an 8, 9 or 10, the reason had to be the safety car entry reason. Till that moment, the race was boring, like the previous. But, yeah, a 6 is a probably a bad rate too. So, to be fair, a 7 (at most).

• Jose77 (@jabg77) said on 6th April 2014, 18:48

Really?.That was brilliant racing throughout the field, certainly not boring. Watching Schumacher use team orders in the Ferrari was boring and nearly killed the sport. If you though t
          that was boring go watch something else please.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 6th April 2014, 20:16

@yes-master, I can only conclude from your comments that you are only interested in watching 1 paricular team winning races and whatever that team is it is not Mercedes.

• Palle (@palle) said on 6th April 2014, 20:42

@hohum: I suspect @yes-master is a newcomer and FIAT fan. All the god comments/answers he get are probably a waste of time and good energy.

• Ricardo Ferreira (@yes-master) said on 6th April 2014, 20:43

@hohum Oh, please, don’t say that. I’m not anti-teams or anti-pilots. I love F1! I want every team to be at their best level. No question about it. The thing is quite simple. With all the changes, I thought that F1 should be better, more competitive. And it’s not. Or not yet. And I hope it changes. But if Mercedes is the team to win this year, why not? Merc is making a great job, as Ham and Nico. So you see, you concluded wrong. ;)

• Dan said on 6th April 2014, 20:46

Ha ha so true i bet you he is a fan of a Ferrari driver i guarantee that. Guess what if every team has Merc engine then Merc would still win dont see Mclaren anywere near do you. Merc have the best package.

If your wondering why people criticised Vet/RBull then why are you moaning now atleast we have 2 teammates fighting?. Your clearly a non Merc fan because no just no do we have midfield racing like this, this was a 1 off classic race you don’t see this oftent yet you still moan.

• Dan said on 6th April 2014, 20:48

@yes-master

Im not attacking you just think your very wrong as we dont see these battles often you cant tell me you did not enjoy this

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 6th April 2014, 21:06

@yes-master, Ricardo, I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and conclude that you are just hard to please.

• Ricardo Ferreira (@yes-master) said on 6th April 2014, 21:19

@hohum @Dan, I have to say, you all have sense of humour. Yes, I’m hard to please. I’m no moaner. I’m not a Ferrari fan. I’m not an anti-Mercedes either. I’m just a guy with a different opinion. But, that’s not important. We all enjoyed this race, even if in different levels (you, the entire race; me, after safety car).
            Hope to see a better race in China. Hope to see improvements from RBR and Ferrari and McLaren, and that Force and Willians keep the good job. And, in particular, I hope to maintain these good discussions with you guys, as it reveals we watch and love F1. The rest is history. Have fun ;)

• rapidfire (@rapidfire) said on 7th April 2014, 1:53

how can we see better race than that? smh

5. MalO (@) said on 6th April 2014, 17:50

Wow, F1 is totally boring… /S /S /S
    What a race that was!

6. AlokIn (@) said on 6th April 2014, 17:50

10/10 awesome race, Mercedes drivers rock. clean and wheel to wheel race just loved it.

7. Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 6th April 2014, 17:50

Solid 8 for me, the race was fantastic stunning battles between teammates Ham/Ros, Hulk/Perez, Massa/Bot, Ric/Vettel. As a tifoso sad to see Ferrari so far behind if the car was competitive maybe we could have seen a great battle between Alonso and Raikkonen. Aldo Costa the father of the W05 who was sucked from Ferrari is now on the podium

• William Stuart (@williamstuart) said on 6th April 2014, 19:44

I don’t know what’s going on at Ferrari, the last few years they have not really been contenders, what’s more a lot of their key guys have been poached my other teams (Williams especially) so maybe this is just the beginning…

8. The Ferrari fan inside me is crying in the deepest corner of my heart.

But the F1 fan inside can’t stop smiling for what I consider to be one of the best 100 minutes of my life.

Absolute brilliance!

9. Girts (@girts) said on 6th April 2014, 17:50

The best race since the 2012 Brazilian GP. 10/10/

10. magon4 (@magon4) said on 6th April 2014, 17:50

Couldn’t have been better today!!

11. That was a 10. Lewis Hamilton take a bow that was stunning. Nico as well. When was the last time we had racing back and forth like that for the lead of the race? Turkey 2010 maybe. And between team mates as well? Wow. Loved Ricciardo’s move on Vettel but seriously the racing was brilliant. Ferrari shoot themselves in the foot again, hire two of the best drivers in the sport and they spent the whole race being overtaken lol

12. Piotr Z. (@piotrzukowski) said on 6th April 2014, 17:51

Fantastic race! Gave it a 9

13. sumedh said on 6th April 2014, 17:51

Incredible.. you know what.. the Bahrain grand Prix is gonna be the highest rated race for the second year in a row.

• William Stuart (@williamstuart) said on 6th April 2014, 19:46

Hold on, it’s a long season! Here’s hoping the British GP is great this year, I couldn’t make it last year, but it could be a lot more exciting with these regulations.

14. Ryne (@ryne) said on 6th April 2014, 17:51

Great race, wow. Gave it a 9

15. Tommy C (@tommy-c) said on 6th April 2014, 17:52

I haven’t enjoyed a race that much in a long time. Absolutely glued to the tv for the entirety. 2014′s looking good if this is a sign of things to come! 9/10