Mercedes make most dominant start since 1992

2014 Bahrain Grand Prix stats and facts

F1F CSLewis Hamilton’s 24th career win means he has tied with Juan Manuel Fangio in tenth place on the list of the sport’s most prolific winners.

Unusually for a driver with so many victories to his name, he is yet to win more than two in a row. This is the fourth time he has done so, following previous back-to-back wins in 2007, 2008 and 2010.

There was no repeat of his Malaysia ‘grand slam’ as team mate Nico Rosberg took the pole position. That was the fifth of his career, giving him as many as his father Keke, as well as Giuseppe Farina, Chris Amon, Clay Regazzoni and Patrick Tambay.

Nigel Mansell, Williams-Renault FW14B, Monaco, 1992Rosberg also claimed the sixth fastest lap of his career, moving him level with Jose Froilan Gonzalez, Mike Hawthorn, Phil Hill, Dan Gurney, Emerson Fittipaldi, Carlos Reutemann and Heinz-Harald Frentzen.

Having scored their first one-two for 59 years in Malaysia, Mercedes added a second just seven days later in Bahrain. It’s the seventh time they have done so and their 16th win, the same number of victories as Cooper. They also marked their 20th pole position.

For the third race in a row every lap was led by a Mercedes driver. That’s the most dominant start any team has made to a season since 1992, when Williams led all of the first five races, plus the first 70 laps of the Monaco Grand Prix.

Sergio Perez scored the fourth podium finish of his career. Force India is the second team he has taken a podium finish with – he also did at Sauber, but not at McLaren.

This was the first time a Force India has been classified in third place. It’s their second podium finish, following on from Giancarlo Fisichella’s second place in the 2009 Belgian Grand Prix.

Daniel Ricciardo scored the best result of his career so far with fourth place – assuming his disqualification from second in the Australian Grand Prix is upheld by the FIA Court of Appeal one week from today.

McLaren posted their first retirement since the 2012 Brazilian Grand Prix when Kevin Magnussen retired with a clutch problem. As a result Magnussen failed to score for the first time in his three-race career – as did Daniil Kvyat.

This was the first time since last year’s British Grand Prix that there wasn’t a Red Bull on the front row or a McLaren in the points. Meanwhile Ferrari racked up their 70th consecutive race in the points – the last time they failed to score was at the 2010 British Grand Prix.

During practice Felipe Nasr and Robin Frijns made their first appearances in an official F1 session. With Giedo van der Garde also performing practice duties for Sauber this was the first time two Dutch drivers were on track at the same time at a grand prix weekend since practice for the 2006 Brazilian Grand Prix, when Christijan Albers was racing for Midland and Robert Doornbos drove for Red Bull.

Several milestones were reached in Sunday’s race including the 900th round of the world championship.

Jenson Button marked his 250th grand prix start though he failed to score after suffering a similar problem to Magnussen.

This was also the 400th start for the team which started life as Jordan in 1991 and is now called Force India, having also appeared as Midland (2006) and Spyker (2007).

Review the year so far in statistics here:

Spotted any other interesting stats and facts from the Bahrain Grand Prix? Share them in the comments.

2014 Bahrain Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Bahrain Grand Prix articles

Image © Williams/LAT

78 comments on Mercedes make most dominant start since 1992

1. djdaveyp85 (@djdaveyp87) said on 7th April 2014, 17:52

Number of finishers so far this season:

AUS 15
    MAL 16
    BAH 17

2. Matt (@mattf1f) said on 7th April 2014, 18:23

I know that I might get slaughtered for this comment but here goes. Don´t get me wrong I enjoyed the Bahrain GP a lot, there was just a lot of that overtaking action we have not seen for far too long time. But after the race I still felt pretty disappointed and realised that for me the missing factor was that after the first corner I knew which team would win it. When I forgot about the Mercedes (which was not too difficult at times, no matter how big TV you were looking the Mercedes cars were not on the same picture), it was just brilliant. I am trying to be honest and maybe it is because my favourite drivers and teams now have to battle to be the best of the rest. If only Mercedes did not have that performance advantage we could potentially have this action throughout the whole season, not for 3rd place but for the win.

I can not help but think about all the following races this year and the likely outcome. I remember 2009 I felt the same for the first 10 races or so. For all Ros & Ham and Mercedes fans this must be a thriller but now I started thinking for example Alonsos comments and when he said not all races are boring and racing is like football sometimes when some games end 0-0 draw and then you get a 4-3 (I can not remember what he exactly said but the idea was there). Well now we got maybe 5-2 in football but there must be a lot of fans like me who don´t want the same one team slaughtering everyone else week after week, the same fans who don´t want to know the FIFA WC winner after the qualification round (ok bad example). The other year I remember we had like 6 or 7 different winners from the start of the season and that to me was a lot more exciting to see than this. I am going to do some serious rain dancing now and wish that we get rain in every race this year, I mean Mercedes can not always get the strategy right ? And because I don´t want to see some of the drivers having more misfortune than others I am going to hope double rain in the season finale then.

• Palle (@palle) said on 7th April 2014, 22:07

@mattf1f: I already knew which team would win in Bahrain after AUS, what took You so long?;-) – Sorry, couldn’t help it.
      Even if I’m not particularly a Mercedes fan, I don’t mind that someone can demonstrate that it pays of to do Your homework, and I’m glad to see that someone else than Phenomenal Newey can design the winning car. Of course I hope that someone catches up, (probably Neweys design will) but as long as I get to see breathtaking action, I don’t mind that the winning team is decided before the race starts. Rather that than boring races with a change in the Winner every now and then.

• Aled Davies (@aledinho) said on 8th April 2014, 10:41

@mattf1f @palle

As hamilton fan it’s been great for me so far this season especially as I consider Hamilton to not have fulfilled his potential so fair in his career.

But as a Schumacher fan while he was racing I wouldn’t want to watch Hamilton breeze it…I think with Rosberg it will be tight so will be entertaining to watch!

• Palle (@palle) said on 8th April 2014, 11:53

@aledinho: Congratulations then, I’m more a fan of the sport, the engineering competition, and then I amuse myself over (or love to hate) some of the most arrogant and childish top personalities in F1 – no one mentioned, no one forgotten;-)
          I think the RBR, Newey and Vettel era has prevented quite a few drivers to fulfil their potential. The Schumacher and Ferrari domination era is another example.
          That said I’m glad that the shift in domination goes to a team, who hasn’t had it recently. But lets see for how long it goes, the season isn’t over yet and maybe Renault and Ferrari can turn it around a little. And next year McLaren will come with a brand new Honda power unit, and Honda can’t afford to blow it – they have to do their utmost to succeed. So even if Mercedes could’ve lapped the whole field this race, they still only get 25 and 18 points and to be dominant for an era, they have to have a continuous development lead. Brawn didn’t have that, but Newey, RBR and Vettel did, like Ferrari and Schumacher did, probably helped by the Bridgestone tyres.

• Aled Davies (@aledinho) said on 8th April 2014, 12:28

@palle

Agreed – I think red bull will be a lot closer by the time the summer break comes around though! And Merc will need to continue the development to stay ahead, i think they have the people there to do that now, which they didn’t nor could afford while they were Brawn but we will see!

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 8th April 2014, 12:47

The thing is, if we don’t want F1 to be a spec series then there is always going to be the potential for a team to dominate. So even if it would be preferable to always have close racing and never a runaway team, that is hard to achieve, and if anything, with yet another announcement of their inability to instill cost caps, they are going to continue to try to not be a spec series and it will continue to be somewhat a game of who has the biggest budget. Thankfully several teams have big budgets and seem less concerned about capping them…for now.

Perhaps it helps me that I am pulling for NR, although I haven’t been edge-of-my-seat, butterflies-in-my-stomach passionate about a driver or team since JV left F1 so I’m relatively indifferent.

But for me this last race was, as has been described by others, a watershed moment. I am hoping that this marks a new era of F1 getting it…getting that even when a team dominates, the drivers being allowed to race is completely night and day different and better than the one-rooster concept that ensures non-racing in the pinnacle of racing.

If F1 itself has been concerned about what it has done regarding quieter engines and double points and their negative effect, one sure antidote is fantastic racing between two awesome, respectful, sporting teammates with a great comraderie.

Easy to say I suppose when I’m not sad or mad for my team or driver that is going to struggle for podia this year, but we all saw something impressive and that has been too long coming, and that we need more of, especially if one team is going to dominate.

3. Ned Flanders (@ned-flanders) said on 7th April 2014, 18:40

Both Williams drivers finished in the top eight for the second consecutive race. You have to go all the way back to the 2004 Japanese and Brazilian GPs for the last time they managed this modest achievement.

Since the 2005 Monaco GP, where they took 2nd and 3rd, Williams have only once had both cars in the top six. And on that occasion, the Australian GP of 2008, there were only six classified finishers…

Mercedes have taken as many podiums in the last two events as Williams have in the 150 races since they split with BMW at the end of 2005.

4. That’s the most dominant start any team has made to a season since 1992, when Williams led all of the first five races, plus the first 70 laps of the Monaco Grand Prix

Because at that point the master of Monaco took over!

5. paulgilb (@paulgilb) said on 7th April 2014, 22:52

A few from http://magnetimarelli.com/focus-on-racing/F1/20140003:

First time that the top 4 on the grid were all Mercedes-powered. First time since Europe 2009 that there was no Renault-powered car on the front 2 rows.

19th race in a row in which only Red Bull and Mercedes have started on the front row (last other was Raikkonen in China 2013). Equals McLaren & Williams’ domination from Britain 1988 to Belgium 1989.

3rd race in a row that Mercedes have managed pole, win, fastest lap, and every lap led. Last team to do this was Williams in 1993 (Damon’s 3 wins). First team to do this in the first 3 races of a season (Berger managed fastest lap in Brazil 1988).

First time since France 2008 that a team locked out the front row, led every lap, finished 1-2, and set the 2 fastest laps.

First team to manage back-to-back 1-2s since McLaren in 2010 (which were also Hamilton’s last back-to-back wins). Amazingly Red Bull have not managed this since 2009.

2nd race in a row that Massa and Bottas have finished 7th and 8th separated by less than a second.

Longest Ferrari victory drought since 1995-96.

First time since Belgium last year that either of the Red Bulls finished the race outside the podium positions (although Webber was classified in Singapore).

First time since Brazil 2012 that one of the McLarens was not classified.

First time since Europe 2004 that both McLarens retired due to mechanical failures.

6. Scalextric (@scalextric) said on 8th April 2014, 1:00

Today marks the 113th day since anyone complained about Tilke designing circuits (subject to verification).

7. Jo Borras said on 8th April 2014, 3:24

Didn’t Perez lead a lap in a Force India when Hamilton was in the pits?

8. Aled Davies (@aledinho) said on 8th April 2014, 9:19

Another fact:

Pastor Maldonado has never in his career accepted responsibility for a crash

9. Aled Davies (@aledinho) said on 8th April 2014, 10:49

Jenson Button has appeared in more than 25% formula 1 championship races ever held.

Michael Schumacher has won over 10% of the Formula 1 races ever held.

10. Nickpkr251 said on 8th April 2014, 18:12

If Mercedes takes Redbull place only thing missing is Hamilton raising the finger, unless your are a fan is the same for non Vettel fan.

If you take mercedes out will be the most contested and closest f1 ever

11. Master firelee (@master-firelee) said on 8th April 2014, 23:47

Here’s a stat from reddit, of all the podiums Perez has had Hamilton has been on all of them and Vettels been on none of them.

12. sbewers (@sbewers) said on 10th April 2014, 0:15

Not sure if this has already been mentioned elsewhere, but I’ve just realised so thought I would post.

Mercedes and Red Bull have now won every race since last year’s Spanish GP – 17 races ago. The last time there was a period this long without a Ferrari or McLaren win was in 1995/96 when 18 races passed between Alesi’s victory in the 1995 Canadian GP and Schumacher’s in the 1996 Spanish GP.

If Ferrari or McLaren fail to win either of the next two races, it will become the longest streak since 1980/81 when 20 races passed between Villeneuve’s wins in the 1979 USA East GP and the 1981 Monaco GP.

As far as I’m aware (and I could be wrong!) there has never been a streak longer than 20 races without a Ferrari or McLaren victory in Formula 1 history. That could definitely be broken in Canada if Mercedes’ form continues.