Quieter engines ‘better for F1′ – Mosley

F1 Fanatic Round-up

F1F CS

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Mosley takes ‘blame’ for Formula One’s new noise… and is James Hunt’s son poised to follow in his father’s footsteps? (Daily Mail)

“The quieter engines are better for families. You can take children to races without fear of their being deafened.”

Red Bull appeal is first test of F1′s new era (Reuters)

“If you look at the facts, it’s a very simple case. The rules are very clear. Technical directives are not rules. Did we break the rules or not? It’s as simple as that.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

Yesterday’s Caption Competition prompted the usual array of excellent suggestions. I especially enjoyed those from PJ Tierney, Sam and Dan_the_McLaren_fan.

But I chose this original effort from Keith Campbell as the winner:

Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, Bahrain International Circuit, 2014

Ferrari recharge the Kimibot with two power cables between sessions.

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Kester!

On this day in F1

Happy 83rd birthday to Dan Gurney, who can count among his four grand prix wins can include the only victories for Porsche (1962 French Grand Prix) and his own Eagle team (1967 Belgian Grand Prix).

Image © Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

86 comments on Quieter engines ‘better for F1′ – Mosley

1. nidzovski (@nidzovski) said on 13th April 2014, 16:29

I have no problem with the noise of the engines, if the action is better. In my opinion it is better. The problem is of course dominant Mercedes, or terrible opposition, whichever way you want to say it, because they are masking competitive racing of the rest of the herd. Of course maybe with the louder engines it would be a better show but maybe going high at races would be even better but it’s not that healthy isn’t it? The irony of new engines rules in my view is that if F1 is a pioneer of road relevant technology than way go with V6 1.6L when they never ever will go in a road car. It would be ether R4 1.6L or minimum 2.5 V6 in a road car. I guess that V6 is better than R4 to digest for the fans.

• Roland Deschain (@f12014sucks) said on 13th April 2014, 23:26

I do. They sound like low revving garbage. Try watching any previous season or GP2 and enjoy the difference.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 14th April 2014, 2:25

@nidzovski, R4 ? likely translation problem, do you mean “inline” or “horizontal/boxer?

The actual ICE layout is pretty irrelevant for developement purposes, the teams like the V6 layout for its rigidity and compact form.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 14th April 2014, 2:27

Come to think of it the Renault engines had many of the characteristics of a horziontal boxer during testing. ;- )

• nidzovski said on 14th April 2014, 8:04

@hohum Yeah sorry about that. I meant inline 4 cylinder engine. My point was that we’ll never see V6 1.6 engine in a road car or in a sport car. FIA was balancing with that until the last minute and I’m glad that they chose V6 aldo I would be happier with at least 2.0L capacity. However it is a good thing that F1 stayed unique with this layout of the engine.

2. Trenthamfolk (@trenthamfolk) said on 14th April 2014, 17:11

I don’t get this noise thing… surely excessive (or lots of) noise is just wasted energy/ I would rather that be converted into speed rather than being wasted. Yeah, I get the ‘I love the glory days’ thing, but people always look back on ‘better times’ with rose-tinted spectacles, whatever their point of reference may be… people don’t like change, but you can accept it or let it embitter you… People should lighten up.

On the other hand, if quietness is the only thing people have to moan about, everything else must be pretty good!