Raikkonen surprised by Domenicali departure

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, Shanghai International Circuit, 2014In the round-up: Three races into his Ferrari comeback, Kimi Raikkonen admits his surprise at seeing Stefano Domenicali leave the team.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

‘Life goes on’ for Kimi despite changes (ESPN)

“Everybody was a bit surprised but obviously that was Stefano’s own decision as I understand. If he felt like that then fair enough and life goes on.”

Fernando Alonso’s reaction to new Ferrari team principal betrays turmoil (The Guardian)

Luca di Montezemolo: “I’ve decided to go for a young manager I strongly believe in, and on a person from the Ferrari family, thus avoiding me going around the world looking for some mercenary. Let’s look ahead. We all must roll up our sleeves in order to be competitive again.”

Ferrari president guarantees success (The Telegraph)

“The first person at being not satisfied at the moment is me. But don’t worry, I’m putting myself on the line: Mattiacci is the right choice, we’ll get back to winning ways very soon.”

Nico Rosberg confirms clear-the-air talks with Mercedes team-mate Lewis Hamilton after thrilling Bahrain battle (The Independent)

“That one incident was the only example where I thought it was above the limits. All the other examples were really tough racing, but with the necessary respect.”

Rosberg: ‘No dodgy dossier’ (Sky)

“It is completely normal for teams after races where a lot has happened that you sit down and discuss what has happened and we will do that – we are going to do that today.”

Maldonado: penalties will ruin racing (Autosport)

“Ten years ago everyone was fighting and touching each other, because there were no penalties. Now we need to adapt ourselves.”

Maldonado clears the air with Gutierrez (Reuters)

“He (Gutierrez) said ‘I didn’t see you’ because – it’s difficult to say – because the image is not that clear depending on which perspective you see.”

Red Bull no longer F1′s benchmark: Webber (The Age)

“They’re not the benchmark either, any more. The team’s under a little bit of heat early in the championship. They’re a quality team and they’ll be back, under the leadership of Adrian Newey – particularly on the design front.”

Susie Wolff ready to make F1 history as first woman in a weekend line-up for 22 years (The Mirror)

“I don’t think some of them react well to being beaten by a woman. I had a team mate who would be in tears if I beat him in qualifying.”

Mercedes 2014 power unit – side view (F1)

“Unlike Renault, Mercedes have separated the hot side of the turbo (in red) from the cold side (in blue) and have the MGU-H mounted in the ‘V’ of the engine between the two parts of the turbo.”

A history of Ferrari’s sporting directors (MotorSport)

“With a strong family connection to Lancia, a degree in Political Science and a long history of success in top-level rallying, [Cesare Fiorio] seemed well suited. Yet he fell out with Alain Prost and was kicked to the kerb after Monaco in 1991. It’s a demanding job that has chewed up and spat out many good people.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

What should be job number one for new Ferrari team principal Marco Mattiacci? Riccardo has a view:

I believe one of the first priorities for the new team principal will be to keep Alonso at the team.

I mean, McLaren may be a gamble, but as he’s nearing the end of his career he may want to change if another team looks a better shot at the title.
Riccardo (@Donuts)

From the forum

Site updates

We had a couple of technical glitches on the site yesterday owing to some essential updates which had to be applied at short notice. As a result comment were not functioning at the time yesterday’s round-up was published and later in the afternoon there were some problems with the layout. These have been fixed now, thanks for your patience and apologies for the inconvenience.

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Alan and Consi!

On this day in F1

Happy birthday to former Minardi, BAR and Super Aguri driver Anthony Davidson who is 35 today.

Image © Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

39 comments on Raikkonen surprised by Domenicali departure

1. Todd (@braketurnaccelerate) said on 18th April 2014, 0:07

Oh Maldonado……

• JCost (@jcost) said on 18th April 2014, 0:30

I can’t understand his reasoning… Pastor still thinks he was not to blame.

• Todd (@braketurnaccelerate) said on 18th April 2014, 2:05

He’s never to blame.

• Tim (@grez76) said on 18th April 2014, 2:56

He’s become the Dick Dastardly of F1. I heard on the Sky F1 show that he’s actually a nice guy in person. Weaponising his car, his accusations cast at Williams and now his refusal to admit responsibility for his dubious manoeuvre on Esteban makes me doubt that somewhat. Maybe Pastor needs a season in Indycar?

I watched the Indycar race at Long Beach and a few drivers made mistakes including Will Power who came second and had won at the previous round. Also Ryan Hunter-Reay caused a multiple car pile-up. These guys are holding their hands up, showing humility and admitting the fault lies with them. Will Power went so far as to say he couldn’t understand why he wasn’t penalised. A stark contrast!

• KaIIe (@kaiie) said on 18th April 2014, 3:10

No one got penalties 10 years ago? Yeah right…

• Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 18th April 2014, 4:57

you damn right he said that ………just to avoid getting punched in the face from you.

• Keith Campbell (@keithedin) said on 18th April 2014, 8:19

Well, he managed 2 races before complaining about the penalty points system, so maybe that’s progress…. But perhaps he should have another look at the racing in Bahrain and see how the likes of Hamilton, Rosberg, Perez, Hulkenberg, Bottas, Massa, Ricciardo etc managed to race wheel to wheel cleanly without any contact. They didn’t look too worried about racing did they?

This is the worrying thing about Maldonado, he honestly doesn’t seem to understand when he makes a mistake. Hopefully the points system will force him to change even though he won’t agree with any of the penalties.

I have to admit at the end of that article he has a point, there was not much difference between his incident and Bianchi’s, so maybe the penalties should have been the same. As i said yesterday, i think drivers should be penalised based on ‘how big a mistake was made’ rather than ‘how big the accident was’.

Offtopic – Gutierrez flipped because the tyres made contact, it was nothing to do with the low lose. Surprised no-one has explained that to him….which makes me wonder whether the team have really discussed the incident with him. They need to take some responsibility for their drivers too….

2. Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 18th April 2014, 0:08

Alonso has been an invaluable asset to the team. Had Ferrari not had use of his services, they would have been reduced to total obscurity and mediocrity in 2012.

3. f1freek (@f1freek) said on 18th April 2014, 0:12

yes Pastor they were touching but they weren’t flipping cars around.

4. Neel Jani (@neelv27) said on 18th April 2014, 0:12

Mercenary? As if Ferrari’s philosophy is equal to sainthood!

5. UTBowler0407 (@utbowler0407) said on 18th April 2014, 0:13

Just when I think Maldonado can’t possibly sound any more daft, he decides to go and open his mouth one more time.

6. minnis (@minnis) said on 18th April 2014, 0:15

I think Maldonado is becoming the new Raikkonen:
    Every quote guarantees laughter!

7. Neel Jani (@neelv27) said on 18th April 2014, 0:15

I had a team mate who would be in tears if I beat him in qualifying.

Chances are that the team mate would break into tears since he would be beaten by Susie rather than a woman specifically! :)

• Nick (@npf1) said on 18th April 2014, 0:19

I’m not too keen on very selective ‘personal experience’ quotes as well. I’m a rather heavy guy, always have been, but always did well in P.E. in high school. Some people dealt with it fine, some got mad. I did not extrapolate that to ‘thin people do not like being beaten by heavier people’.

Sure, some people will get their panties in a bunch because they’re beaten by a woman driver; but those people are probably lost as far as having an open mind goes. I’d rather focus on the people who say ‘it can’t be done’ than the people who are going to get pissed when it does happen, but then, who am I.

8. Nick (@npf1) said on 18th April 2014, 0:16

I’d like to know what races Maldonado watched in 2004, because I remember pretty much every race being Ferrari (some seconds) BAR/Renault (another gap) Williams/McLaren (another gap) Sauber (another gap) Jaguar/Toyota (a lap or two) Jordan/Minardi. I vaguely remember some battles between Button and Alonso, Kimi and the Williams cars and maybe some backmarkers, but no touching. Or it being normal.

• bull mello (@bullmello) said on 18th April 2014, 0:50

Maldonado needs to have a book of his quotes published. He is in a different sort of bizarro reality, sheltered from the rest of the world.

It was a “soft crash” on Gutierrez, that dangerously rolled his car, btw. It was a “misunderstanding”. It was “normal race contact”.

“You cannot race” (because of the penalties). It’s not his fault on that one really. From where he was he didn’t have a good view of Rosberg and Hamilton’s dueling.

“I think in my car somebody is playing with the pressure and the temperatures,”

“You need to ask the team, the guys that are working on the car, it is quite clear.”

Of course, those two quotes aren’t so humorous.

The next incident with Maldonado, which will happen, I will gladly eat my words when he takes his full share of responsibility. I don’t dislike him, just feel a bit sorry for him. The first step to get past a mistake is to own it. It will neutralize most of the negativity. His audacity in blaming everything and everyone else is a marvel to behold.

9. trotter said on 18th April 2014, 0:31

No wonder there are so many articles in this roundup about “clearing the air”. We’re racing in Shanghai this week.

10. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 18th April 2014, 1:10

Yes, I mean, why bother looking for someone who’s proven themselves in F1, when you could go for someone close to home who has zero experience, and could turn out to be an utterly terrible decision?

Don’t get me wrong, I wish the new guy all the best, and hope he’s successful, but it couldn’t have hurt Ferrari to at least shop around.

• bull mello (@bullmello) said on 18th April 2014, 4:19

Maybe Brawn doesn’t want to think of coming out of retirement before next year.

This team principal choice seems so interim. There are more qualified people already on the team who could have filled this job, even on an interim basis.

By shedding Domenicali now, it seems the focus is more on 2015. What can the new guy offer other than spending much of this season observing how the race team is being run and offering up management suggestions. It is difficult to fathom what he could offer to make the current chassis and power unit go faster.

11. Neil (@neilosjames) said on 18th April 2014, 2:17

Had a little laugh at Maldonado complaining about penalties, but… I do miss the ‘racing incident’. Seems to have all but vanished in the days of the avoidable accident.

12. Rooney (@rojov123) said on 18th April 2014, 6:50

Susie Wolff-

“But I don’t look down on girls who do that. Danica Patrick did it in the States and it helped her career a lot. Good on her. But it’s not in my character to want to take my clothes off.”

So what does she call that photo-shoot she did for the AMG ad? It was practically the same amount of clothes as Danica Patrick.

13. Osvaldas31 (@osvaldas31) said on 18th April 2014, 10:01

Pastor should’ve been a boxer, thus he could spill his agression.