2014 Chinese Grand Prix second practice
Lewis Hamilton missed the first half hour of second practice but recovered to end the session with the fastest time.
He set a 1’38.315 on soft tyres putting him over a tenth of a second ahead of first practice pace-setter Fernando Alonso. But Hamilton wasn’t happy with the balance of his Mercedes.
Shortly before the end of the 90-minute practice period Hamilton abandoned his race stint run, telling his team: “something’s not right, I’m coming in”.
Team mate Nico Rosberg was third-quickest but had been told to back off by two-tenths of a second in the final sector due to a yellow flag.
This was caused by Pastor Maldonado, who crashed on his way into the pit lane. The Lotus driver understeered wide and hit the barrier near where Hamilton’s race famously came to an end in 2007.
The Red Bull pair were also in the top ten, Daniel Ricciardo ahead of Sebastian Vettel. But like most drivers they found their tyres were graining in the long first corner at the start of the lap in the cool temperatures.
Felipe Massa was sixth ahead of Kimi Raikkonen, who managed 14 laps in the second session having failed to leave the pits during the first.
The top ten was completed by Jenson Button, Romain Grosjean and Daniil Kvyat.
2014 Chinese Grand Prix
- Alonso wins Driver of the Weekend after China podium
- Dull Chinese Grand Prix gets lowest score so far
- 2014 Chinese Grand Prix team radio transcript
- Top ten pictures from the 2014 Chinese Grand Prix
- Vote for your Chinese GP driver of the weekend
2014 F1 practice sessions
- Alonso edges Ricciardo as Mercedes keep a low profile
- Hamilton hits the top, Maldonado hits the wall
- Alonso leads Mercedes pair in first practice
- Hamilton quickest as gearbox glitch hits Rosberg
- Rosberg edges delayed Hamilton in Mercedes one-two
Browse all 2014 F1 practice results