Rate the race: 2014 Chinese Grand Prix

2014 Chinese Grand Prix

Jenson Button, McLaren, Shanghai International Circuit, 2014What did you think of today’s race? Share your verdict on the Chinese Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2014 Chinese Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (4%)
  • 2 (2%)
  • 3 (5%)
  • 4 (11%)
  • 5 (23%)
  • 6 (30%)
  • 7 (19%)
  • 8 (4%)
  • 9 (0%)
  • 10 (2%)

Total Voters: 750

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

You need an F1 Fanatic account to vote. Register an account here or read more about registering here. When this poll is closed the result will be displayed instead of the voting form.

See the results for past seasons here:

2014 Chinese Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Chinese Grand Prix articles

Image © McLaren/LAT

178 comments on Rate the race: 2014 Chinese Grand Prix

1 2 3 6
  1. Sankalp Sharma (@sankalp88) said on 20th April 2014, 9:42

6/10 I’m afraid. Worst race since the 2008 one. Master class from Alonso though!

• minnis (@minnis) said on 20th April 2014, 9:43

I’m suspecting a really low rating as people will be comparing to Bahrain.

• Alfie (@alfie) said on 20th April 2014, 9:45

Well it was really boring anyway.

• babis1980 (@babis1980) said on 20th April 2014, 10:01

I can’t understand how the teams have already solved reliability issues, fuel issues and now we are seeing again the tire formula…… so sad….. I want back my durable tires please. I want to see drivers to push at 100%. Please pirelli produce some black things that these drivers can use all the time….

• MagillaGorilla (@magillagorilla) said on 20th April 2014, 9:44

Agreed, the radio conversations are what kept it from falling lower than 6/10 for me.

• Nick (@nick-uk) said on 20th April 2014, 10:06

I voted 4. And that was with the team radio and the result giving it +1 each. Otherwise I think I would have gone with 2/10. Total snooze fest. I’m glad it was an 8am and not a 6am race otherwise I would have simply fallen back asleep.

Great to see Lewis take a hat trick though. Not to jynx it too early, but anyone think he could threaten Vettel/Ascari’s 9 in a row??

• Sankalp Sharma (@sankalp88) said on 20th April 2014, 10:15

Unlike Webber at RB, Rosberg may have more of a say on the 9-in-a-row theory. But Hamilton does have a great chance of equaling or beating Schumacher/Vettel’s season total of 13.

• Sam (@) said on 20th April 2014, 11:23

I might be bit bias as I’m a Webber fan but at the moment, I don’t rate Rosberg (2012-2014) higher than Webber (2009-2013). It is this ever lasting idea that HAM/ROS will be SEN/PRO whilst it really is a walk in the park by Hamilton.

In Melbourne Ham had to retire. In Malaysia he was so far behind it was just ridiculous, in Bahrein they had fun but it was a serious slap on the wrist for Rosberg. Today, another flawless race by Ham and Ros pretty average really. Took way to long to pass everyone to even think about fighting with Hamilton.

Webber at least took the fight to Vettel on some occasions. Not many, but some, expecially in 2010, first half of 2012. I don’t see Rosberg threatening Hamilton any time soon. I hope to be wrong though, but I fear I’m not.

@sankalp88

@nick-uk Without a mechanical failure, I think Hamilton will win every race of the season. 9 in a row is possible for sure, 14 this season. Surely!

• OOliver said on 20th April 2014, 11:25

Unlike Schumacher and Vettel, Hamilton will have to fight for that number of race wins in a season.

• DaveD (@daved) said on 20th April 2014, 14:03

Agree with Oliver…Lewis will have to fight for his wins at most races, unlike Schumi and Vettel in the past.

• MJ (@mjf1) said on 20th April 2014, 10:09

Agreed, 6/10. Highlight of the race was Vettel’s “Tough Luck” radio message.

• Iestyn Davies (@fastiesty) said on 20th April 2014, 16:19

And the farcical race shortening by the chequered flag mistake.. FIA rule set in disarray, just like with the Safety Car in 2010.. so technically they could flag the race after any time and call it a day there and then….. almost looks like an attempt to see what shorter races could be like!

• For a Shanghai GP it was pretty okay. As I’ve been saying for some time the Bahrain GP had an unfair reputation and so had the Shanghai GP, the first was under appreciated and the last over appreciated.

• @sankalp88 I echo your comment, except the Alonso part

2. Ryan Petersen (@aiera-music) said on 20th April 2014, 9:44

7. Not thrilling, but not bad either :D

• JCost (@jcost) said on 20th April 2014, 9:56

7 for me as well. Maybe because I already had anticipated Lewis to dominate the event.

• smokinjoe (@smokinjoe) said on 20th April 2014, 10:31

Only thing missing is the wheel to wheel battle between the team mates and there a few second between all top 10 position except hulk and botthas, the race finished up in a procession…..maybe a little rain will spice up things but that did not happen

• OOliver said on 20th April 2014, 11:27

Rosberg’s poor start and failure to clear the cars ahead fast enough was what reduced the pressure on Hamilton.

• Younes (@moumny) said on 20th April 2014, 11:13

7 For me as well. The strategy was interesting. Too bad Massa had to retire he would definitely have made the race more enjoyable by having a go at the redbulls. Also RIC was not very far from ALO, a bit faster and it would have been a great end of race

3. Aimal (@aimalkhan) said on 20th April 2014, 9:45

Really happy for Alonso’s podium so that made it a little better. overall a bit of a meh race. 6/10.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 20th April 2014, 9:58

Great job by Fernando. People wil say it’s to soon but it’s perfectly in line with my predictions: ALONSO IS DEMOLISHING RAIKKKONEN.

• MJ (@mjf1) said on 20th April 2014, 10:12

Little disappointed with Kimi. He is performing about the same as Massa last year.

• Sven (@crammond) said on 20th April 2014, 10:20

They were already performing roughly the same in 07/08 and the early 09. Kimi is still doing better team-radio and interviews, though.

• scratt (@scratt) said on 20th April 2014, 11:36

It is increasingly clear that Kimi really needs the perfect setup to shine. Interestingly this also seems to be the case with Vettel.

It’s worth noting that Kimi tends to up his game once we hit Europe.

Also that Alonso seems to have a teleportation device for starts, and a force field that protects his car from flailing attacks by Massa! ;)

• Michael said on 20th April 2014, 12:28

He is only demolishing Raikkonen because of Raikkonen’s car problems, it’s a shame that people only see the end result.

• GB (@bgp001ruled) said on 21st April 2014, 3:48

totally disagree! i don´t like alonso at all. in fact, i wish him always the worst! but the guy is really one of the best drivers ever! no matter how which shape his car is in or the team, he always delivers more than what everybody expects. or achieves the maximum that was there to grasp. something you can say about massa or now, sadly, about kimi. and i know, ´cuz i´ve always been wishing him the worst! the guy is really good, and kimi is just another massa. too bad…

• spoutnik (@spoutnik) said on 20th April 2014, 22:30

@jcost That’s what I thought from the start. But the season is still long :)

4. Sam (@) said on 20th April 2014, 9:45

I predicted 9/10 top 10 finishers. My 10th was Massa who had his pitstop error. Of those 10 I have 4 on their correct places and those 5 others only one spot wrong due to Massa. Predictable much.

Saw some overtakes, okay. Hamilton his first hattrick. That is cool. Driver of the race would be Alonso. Of the weekend, Hamilton once more.

5. PhilEReid (@philereid) said on 20th April 2014, 9:46

Well, I want 5.5, but voted 5. It was pretty much the most average race. Not bad, not great, just average. It was better than Malaysia, due to there being a few battles out there, and, whilst the battle for the lead was non-existent, there was still a small amount of tension when following Alonso. I think that this track, along with Malaysia, don’t really suit these cars. I have a feeling that the European season may spice things up a bit though, the tracks should be more suiting. Monaco could be immense.

6. StefMeister (@stefmeister) said on 20th April 2014, 9:47

I enjoyed it, Some good racing & a decent amount of overtaking. Kept me entertained.

I gave it 7/10.

7. TMF (@tmf42) said on 20th April 2014, 9:47

Great efforts by ALO, HAM and RIC. Overall a 5/10, the first stint was interesting but the rest rather predictable.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 20th April 2014, 9:59

It can be hard to compare, but in my book, so far, Daniel Ricciardo is not only doing a better job than Sebastian Vettel but he is also doing a better job than Mark Webber.

• TMF (@tmf42) said on 20th April 2014, 11:02

@jcost hard to judge 4 races in – RIC seems to have a bit of a head-start in terms of preparation but that won’t last long. But RBR was right to pick RIC – that’s for sure.

8. AlokIn (@) said on 20th April 2014, 9:47

Hatrick for Lewis !!!
    Excellent drive :)

9. Mashiat (@) said on 20th April 2014, 9:47

Great Race by Alonso, Hamilton and Ricciardo. All of them annihilated their teammates!

10. Andre Furtado (@f1andy83) said on 20th April 2014, 9:48

Do not enjoy watching a race with Team Orders, specially when they outright lie to one driver.

Massa and Williams again dropping the ball.

Amazing Job by Hamilton and Rosberg, no team orders = everyone is doing their best.

11. runforitscooby (@runforitscooby) said on 20th April 2014, 9:48

When Vettel is asking if he should back off, something is array . 4/10.

• Andre Furtado (@f1andy83) said on 20th April 2014, 9:49

Team Orders at Red Bull, they are australian after all, just like Ric. I did not enjoy them making it seem like Ric was on a different strategy. I can’t stand team orders. They also botched Vettels timing on all stops and lost track position.

• (@runforitscooby)

Vettel is showing how utterly mediocre many of us knew him to be all along.

The last four years are being proven to be Newey, and not him. Beautiful.

• TMF (@tmf42) said on 20th April 2014, 11:03

and this year it’s all whoever designs the Mercs and not Hamilton?

• Sam (@) said on 20th April 2014, 11:12

No because we’re talking about Hamilton. Don’t you see that logic only applies when we’re talking about Vettel. Jeez. Just as in F1, F1 fans never use any form of consistency.

• Sven (@crammond) said on 20th April 2014, 11:27

It has allways been mainly about who builds the cars. However, in earlier years, when the drivers market was more vivid and drivers were changing teams more quickly, the strongest team often had the strongest drivers, too. Or at least I don´t recall anybody questioning Prost/Senna being the two strongest drivers in 88/89. Today, one can only guess which of up to 8 different drivers would be the top driver-pair, and it´s highly questionable it would be the current Merc-drivers.
          That said, 17 of the last 21 world-championships were won by either Ross Brawn or Adrian Newey, and the seasons not won by either of these two mostly had them pausing or having switched to a new team. No pair of drivers has a statistic even close to that.

• tezza (@terro55) said on 20th April 2014, 12:27

jack brabham, the only driver to become champion in a car of his own make. Now he was a true legend of the sport.

• Michael said on 20th April 2014, 12:32

You must be joking: did you not see the Vettel vs. Ricciardo fight Mr md? Wow, I guess no matter what Vettel will do, you guys will always hate him cause he had the guts to race Webber and gave him a run for his money too!

• Ron (@rcorporon) said on 20th April 2014, 14:32

Yup… just like how Ham is mediocre and it’s all the car this year. Sheesh… some people.

• Greg-C said on 21st April 2014, 11:48

Its totally all about the car !
          Vettel is a crap driver and its newey alone who wins titles . Hamilton is also crap and its only because Brawn left because he wanted to drive but couldnt get his fat ass in the car that he quit ! Other wise brawn would be WDC 2014
          (Sarcasm)

12. Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 20th April 2014, 9:49

I told you not to get too exited last race, it was a drama fixed by Mercedes so they cannot lose their advantage by the rule change 6/10 just for Alonso’s podium the rest was extremely boring

13. Where is the 0 ? I picked up 3/10. Didn’t see any proper wheel to wheel battles, poor strategies, even when my fav team and driver wins. This season is dull if you remove Bahrain

14. David not Coulthard (@davidnotcoulthard) said on 20th April 2014, 9:53

6/10. A normal race.

15. David Margono (@woshidavid95) said on 20th April 2014, 9:54

What in the world happened for Vettel to finish 20+ seconds behind Ricciardo? All I know was that Alonso undercut him for 2nd place, Vettel backed off and then what happened?

1 2 3 6