Rate the race: 2014 Chinese Grand Prix

2014 Chinese Grand Prix

Jenson Button, McLaren, Shanghai International Circuit, 2014What did you think of today’s race? Share your verdict on the Chinese Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

[poll id="483"]

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

You need an F1 Fanatic account to vote. Register an account here or read more about registering here. When this poll is closed the result will be displayed instead of the voting form.

See the results for past seasons here:

2014 Chinese Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Chinese Grand Prix articles

Image © McLaren/LAT

178 comments on Rate the race: 2014 Chinese Grand Prix

1. Shimks (@shimks) said on 20th April 2014, 10:13

Who knows what the race was like if we were watching it at home. The broadcast direction was pitiful.

2. Mayank (@mjf1fan) said on 20th April 2014, 10:15

5/10

Quite boring race with not much action on track. I was happy when vettel ignored team orders but my happiness lasted only 1 lap when RBR lied him that Ricciardo is on different strategy. Williams again messed it up for Massa. Also don’t know what FOM was doing today, majority of the passes were seen on replays.

Great drive from Alonso and Hamilton.

3. Abuelo Paul (@abuello-paul) said on 20th April 2014, 10:19

Well, after an intetresting start, mainly due to technical issues with the new format, this race really disappointed. A whole lap between winner and 10th position, with very little in the way of racing and on track overtaking. Rosberg was brilliant after a difficult start and technical problems, Alonso had a very good race for a change and the Red Bulls managed to keep up. Other than that a very bland uneventyful parade. So its back to the last few seasons format, front row get podiums and everyone follows in a strung out line.

4. 6/10 for me. Objectively it should be a 4. +1 for Fernando great drive and Ferrari resurrection and ultimately +1 for Ricciardo exposing Vettel again justifying my yesterday comments about how average in essence Vettel is.
    And one other thing that RBR straight line speed is pathetic I know that they were never top notch in that respect but with their engine’s obvious deficiencies what was a calculated risk is now a chasm.
    I mean when Rosberg overtook Ricciardo he was 0.896 behind when they got on the straight and managed to take him… amazing…
    RBR probably should send a thank you note to Ecclestone axing Korea and India…

5. Force Maikel (@force-maikel) said on 20th April 2014, 10:37

6/10

Average race but not one I will be remembering for long though, bring on the European season I say!

6. Andrei (@crandreico) said on 20th April 2014, 10:43

3. Pretty dull. If I have to compare it to Bahrain, I would score it a 0.

7. andae23 (@andae23) said on 20th April 2014, 10:48

7/10 – Perhaps not very exciting, but the strategic battle was very interesting: Vettel dropping back, Alonso moving up. It has to be said that it’s very difficult to follow the strategies with a lack of proper live timing (seriously FOM, get your act together).

The circuit seems to be a bit of a culprit here. The first sector encourages drivers to run side-by-side for a long time, but apart from that there is no way drivers could run closely. The reason I dislike the ‘long straight followed by a hairpin’ philosophy is twofold: the battle is over after one corner and drivers will wait for the easier overtaking spot. I guess that’s the reason why it looked dreadfully boring today.

Anyway, I enjoyed it, even though the last fifteen laps were 100% superfluous.

8. DaveF1 (@davef1) said on 20th April 2014, 10:49

6/10 Mercedes too OP, pls nerf.

9. elbasque said on 20th April 2014, 10:54

Meh/10

Was always going to be a tough ask after Bahrain.

10. Darren Danga said on 20th April 2014, 11:00

It seems like NR is just bitter LH qualified better raced and managed the race better. Those are the facts I don’t see NR giving LH good competition he will buckle up! Remember FA at Mclaren and JB and LW played better! He is the best wheel to wheel driver on that grid simple straight forward!

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 20th April 2014, 11:22

Probably helps that both of those guys already were F1 champions when they teamed up with Hamilton, NR still feels like he needs to prove it; they knew they could do it, that is quite a big difference I think. Still, not like FA really handled it great. I thought Nico had begun to recover himself during the podium, and hope he is back for more in Spain.

11. Osvaldas31 (@osvaldas31) said on 20th April 2014, 11:04

I voted 4/10. The most boring race this season. As I thought, Bahrain GP was just a one-off and we must be ready to witness one of the most boring seasons in F1 history. I’d like to be wrong and eat my words later in the year, but I don’t think we’re about to see something like in Bahrain. First of all, because one team is dominating by a huge margin and it doesn’t seem like others are catching them. The whole grid is not very close to each other, so we are not seeing many battles there. I hope when the season progresses, we’ll see far smaller margins between the teams, but I’m not betting on that.

Another reason (but probably the smallest one) is I’m a Vettel and Raikkonen fan and their team mates are just crushing them. Raikkonen seems to be content with his salary and aims just collect valuable constructor points for Ferrari. Meanwhile, I predict Vettel to bounce back later in the season, because it’s not like he has lost his skills just because his car is not as fast as last year. If he cannot overcome his problems this season, I’ll be very disapointed with him.

Another thing. I’m not a Mclaren fan, but it’s quite painful to watch them becoming another Williams – once great, but they are living with memories about their greatest years. Hope Honda will help to revive this legendary team.

• OOliver said on 20th April 2014, 13:41

Rosberg’s slow getaway and he being trapped behind even the Williams for a while, denied us of a battle between the championship leaders.
      Mclaren are paying the price of having to design two new cars from scratch in 2 seasons, something they need not have done, had they evolved their 2012 car. They have lost their reference point, and Magnussen isn’t yet strong enough to help Button with car development.

12. bosyber (@bosyber) said on 20th April 2014, 11:19

Well, not a great race, especially after that great Bahrain race. Still, quite okay (only the 1st HAM gone with the wind after two laps I see, having missed Malaysia), thought the Alonso/Ricciardo/Vettel fight for podium+ positions was quite nice, though I wonder where Red Bull got expectations and/or strategy wrong with Vettel. Quite a bit of curious things happening to keep attention like the surprise early flag, and Vettels ‘tough luck’.

13. Jules Winfield (@jules-winfield) said on 20th April 2014, 11:24

The team radio and the bumper cars at the start were entertaining, but otherwise, rather dull.

14. Howard (@howard) said on 20th April 2014, 11:25

What a big difference rain makes for this circuit/race !!

4/10 this year.