Gamble on second pit stop spoiled race – Button

2014 Spanish Grand Prix

Jenson Button, McLaren, Circuit de Catalunya, 2014Jenson Button said a gamble on his second pit stop spoiled his race after finishing out of the points in Spain.

“The start and the first lap cost me a lot of time and my second pit-stop compromised my strategy,” said Button, who ended the race in 11th place.

“During the first two stints, it felt like we were making progress, because we were faster than the cars in front.

“But we gambled on taking the second stop early, thinking we could jump one of the Force Indias, but Daniil [Kvyat's] Toro Rosso followed me in, and caused my release to be delayed by a few seconds while he came past me in the pit-lane.”

“Then I came out of the pits just in front of Lewis [Hamilton], who was lapping me. He was running old tyres, while I was on fresh rubber; I had to let him past, but it delayed me a bit more.”

Button crossed the line 4.4 seconds behind Nico Hulkenberg, the last of the points finishers.

2014 Spanish Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Spanish Grand Prix articles

Image © McLaren/LAT

16 comments on Gamble on second pit stop spoiled race – Button

1. Baron said on 11th May 2014, 17:23

The car is worse than last years if that’s possible. This is an appalling performance from McLaren…and the fact that Ferrari are in the same boat is no consolation at all…

• Mads (@mads) said on 11th May 2014, 17:27

What is even worse is that, this year they have very significant power advantage over all the Renault/Ferrari running teams. And they are still way off the pace.

• lee1 said on 11th May 2014, 18:41

The aero just looks botched. They have no down force and what looks like a lot of drag. The Williams easily overtook them on the straight with both cars having drs open! How does that happen?

• Swindle94 said on 11th May 2014, 20:20

I did notice how easy that Williams overtook the Mclaren. Their car also has the worst understeer I have seen all year

• Breno (@austus) said on 11th May 2014, 20:28

People thought those elements on the rear suspension would generate downforce and drag, maybe would be the next big thing. Maybe they only generate drag.

• lee1 said on 12th May 2014, 9:35

The rear suspension elements are supposed to reduce drag, so god knows how bad the rest of the cars aero is….

2. Nickpkr251 said on 11th May 2014, 19:10

I guess Mac will not provide a good car again, force india is way better guess checo made great move afterall, two things are sure Magnussen would not be able to pull a Hamilton and Maldonado will crash more times than any other driver in F1.

3. Guccio (@concalvez00) said on 11th May 2014, 20:04

Button is simply not good at leading a team, we saw that last year aswell and people used Paddy Lowe as excuse of making a bad and what excuse people gonna have now ?, fingers should be pointed at the guy who sits in the cockpit.

• timi (@timi) said on 11th May 2014, 21:48

@concalvez00 A bit harsh. The drivers can guide development. But it’s the designers and engineers who come up with the car, – it’s their fault not his. It is now partly his responsibility to help improve the car. But you can’t blame a driver for the team producing a poor car

• JamieFranklinF1 (@jamiefranklinf1) said on 11th May 2014, 22:01

I guess it was also Hamilton’s fault then for the dog of a car in 2009, or perhaps the poor reliability of 2012. The driver can have an input, but McLaren are steadily getting worse.

2010 they were behind Red Bull and Ferrari, 2011 they were behind Red Bull, 2012 they were behind Red Bull and arguably Ferrari again (at least with reliability), 2013 they were behind Red Bull, Ferrari, Lotus, Mercedes and possibly Force India too. This year, it looks like Mercedes, Red Bull, Ferrari, Williams, Force India and Lotus as well once they have the car sorted. The whole state of affairs is ridiculous for a team, which boasts such professionalism.

• Tictac Toes said on 13th May 2014, 16:04

Which professionalism? Did I miss something? I think that MacLaren will not improve until Jenson Button (nothing against him personally) is gone.

• They have had 4 different sponsors so far this year, my understanding was that teams secure their sponsors years ahead so they do not have to do a sales pitch every race, how did it come to this? And who will back them with the honda engine?

• jonathan102 (@jonathan102) said on 12th May 2014, 7:13

In that case, so is Alonso.

4. Royal-Spark (@royal-spark) said on 11th May 2014, 23:55

McLaren’s sorry performances are beginning to be really, really painful to watch.