Rate the race: 2014 Spanish Grand Prix

2014 Spanish Grand Prix

Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull, Circuit de Catalunya, 2014What did you think of today’s race? Share your verdict on the Spanish Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2014 Spanish Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (3%)
  • 2 (2%)
  • 3 (3%)
  • 4 (5%)
  • 5 (10%)
  • 6 (18%)
  • 7 (30%)
  • 8 (22%)
  • 9 (6%)
  • 10 (1%)

Total Voters: 800

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

You need an F1 Fanatic account to vote. Register an account here or read more about registering here. When this poll is closed the result will be displayed instead of the voting form.

See the results for past seasons here:

2014 Spanish Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Spanish Grand Prix articles

249 comments on Rate the race: 2014 Spanish Grand Prix

1 2 3 6
  1. PJ (@pjtierney) said on 11th May 2014, 14:44

The last 5-10 laps were interesting to watch; the rest of the race not so much.

5/10

• Ian (@f1ian) said on 11th May 2014, 14:46

Yea, the last 10 laps should have a different rating to the rest of the race!

• Jason (@jason12) said on 11th May 2014, 15:21

Great strategy might only reveal itself towards the end of the race, so one shouldn’t be short-sighted when evaluating.

• Carlitox (@carlitox) said on 11th May 2014, 15:22

Totally agree. If only we had these battles from start to finish and not having to put up with a dull first half in order to lead to this.
      Since all battles were quite awesome and thrilling, I’ll throw a 7/10.
      However, I’m gutted since I predicted correctly all the top 5 drivers, just not in the right order LOL

• petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 11th May 2014, 15:53

This sort of view is why we have DRS, mega double super points weekend at Abu Dhabi, tyres that fall apart and why they are discussing shortening the races.

F1 is sometimes a long drawn out thing that is decided near the end. F1 has never been about huge battles from lights to flag – it just doesn’t work like that! If you can honestly score today as a 5, I assume you must score most races around the 2 or 3 sort of range? If that’s the case, why watch F1?

• Jimbo Hull (@kartingjimbo) said on 11th May 2014, 17:52

Amen, was on the verge of replying with something similar but you certainly covered it.

• Blackmamba (@blackmamba) said on 11th May 2014, 18:02

@peterbaldwin great great comment mate its a sign of the times we live in where nobody has any patience at all. This was one of your standard classic race where it’s a drawn out affair but all these Internet babies seem to be interested in is a thrill a minute! No wonder Bennie brought in double points and was at one point even considering sprinklers on track, just to appease people who have no appreciation for F1 at all. I can understand when one driver just gets no challenge for the win, but even then I can appreciate that his team has done an exceptional engineering job to be the best, and so should be rewarded accordingly with wins. In this race we had 2 guys challenging for the win but still some people are only interested in bashing the sport. Ah we’ll, what do I know? Maybe I’m the one missing something.

• CeeVee (@ceevee) said on 11th May 2014, 22:36

It depends on what your criteria are that generate a rating. It was interesting to watch the Vettel strategy play out to fourth, it was interesting to watch Rosberg close up to Hamilton but never really threaten to overtake, it was interesting to watch Alonso close down and pass Raikkonen, it was interesting to watch the DRS passes, but it wasn’t exciting. I rate races on excitement not interest. If a race keeps me on the edge of my seat and gets my heart pumping faster then it’s exciting and I rate accordingly. I find watching chess matches interesting not exciting, I find watching most football matches interesting but not exciting. I find watching a lot of F1 races interesting but not exciting. If I was rating todays race on interest I would have given it a 7/8 but I rate on excitement so it got a 5.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 11th May 2014, 23:01

@petebaldwin, actually I think you are confusing cause and effect.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 11th May 2014, 16:19

I agree but gave it an extra point because of those last laps being intriguing if not exciting. 6.

• Strontium (@strontium) said on 11th May 2014, 16:26

I, too, gave it a five. If anything, for me, it lost points due to the anti-climactic battle at the end.

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 11th May 2014, 16:37

@pjtierney it’s amaizing how quickly people change their minds. Crofty said the race was so exciting ! but for 62 laps, it was plain boring. Not even interesting. Suddenly it got good.

A 4/10 for me.

I loved (ironically) when it was Rosberg vs Hami, Alonso vs Raikkonen… and they suddenly show Rosberg’s girlfriend! what kind of director thinks that’s a good move?!

• Dewald Nel (@ho3n3r) said on 11th May 2014, 17:06

The first 56 laps set up the race for the last 10 laps. So it should be part of the same rating.

2. magon4 (@magon4) said on 11th May 2014, 14:45

This is good F1. It really is. Great strategy and build-up, wonderful performances, a fight for the lead, tension, information. 8/10 for me!

And btw, THAT is domination. Red Bull did not dominate the last 4 seasons, this is what good old F1 domination looks like… #Mercedes

• DC (@dujedcv) said on 11th May 2014, 14:54

Drivers backing off from overtaking in order to save the tyres…

• Dave (@raceprouk) said on 11th May 2014, 14:56

Name a season that hasn’t happened

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 11th May 2014, 15:02

Exactly. I did find it odd though when Ricciardo was (I believe) told to drop 2 seconds behind Bottas to save tyres- actually doing that would have dropped him below Grosjean!

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 11th May 2014, 16:30

@matt90, Tyres wore down but since pit stops took so long no-one changed their tyres unless they had to, so on lap 7 everyones tyres were 7 laps old, same on lap 47 and every other lap, same as it is in Motor cycle racing.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 11th May 2014, 18:08

I assume you meant to reply to my comment below. If they weren’t changing tyres then it was surely still key how well different drivers managed their tyres- when they pushed, when was best to push, which manufacturer’s tyres they were actually on etc. The only time tyre management isn’t an issue at all is when all the tyres are identical and more durable than necessary (the Bridgestone years, as the two compounds was often just a silly formality).

• Iestyn Davies (@fastiesty) said on 11th May 2014, 15:03

Would have to go back to the 60’s..

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 11th May 2014, 15:17

Are you sure tyre conservation wasn’t important then either? Unless they had massively inappropriate tyres which were going to be able to give consistent grip for the entire duration of a race regardless of how you drove, I don’t see how looking after tyres hasn’t always been an element

• Jason (@jason12) said on 11th May 2014, 15:25

@matt90
            You seem to be unaware that there’s deliberate intent from the FIA to ensure degrad tyres.
            So it’s definitely not a case of there’s nothing that can be done anymore to reduce tyre degrad.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 11th May 2014, 15:38

I’m fully aware of that, and never said there wasn’t. That doesn’t really change my point at all- it isn’t new to F1.

• edteach3r said on 13th May 2014, 8:15

Quite correct. matt90, early to mid sixties, tyres actually lasted for several races. Of course, grip was minimal on those old cross-ply tyres! While I am enjoying the current season more than most in recent memory, for me, nothing comes close to the the 60s and early 70s when the outcome of a race was never certain and the lead would swap several times during a race …

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 11th May 2014, 16:24

1958 to 1973

• David not Coulthard (@davidnotcoulthard) said on 11th May 2014, 17:38

Horse Racing 1884?

3. Bobby Balboa (@bobby-balboa) said on 11th May 2014, 14:45

End was exciting 6/10

4. Sankalp Sharma (@sankalp88) said on 11th May 2014, 14:45

8/10 certainly! It was a slow burner. But what a drive by Vettel, Rosberg and especially Vettel! Best Barcelona GP in years!

5. Ciaran (@ciaran) said on 11th May 2014, 14:46

First half didn’t have much going, but the second half had some great tense battles. Not all races need to be wheel-to-wheel to be good, more people need to realise that!

6. Robert (@gicu) said on 11th May 2014, 14:47

Aside from a couple of good Vettel overtakes and a late (and short, I might add) sweat for the lead for Hamilton, not much to see. 6/10.

7. PaxJes (@paxjes) said on 11th May 2014, 14:48

little racing happened, just cars getting to the back of the car in front and passing by. some good moves, but nothing to write home about. 2/10

8. Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 11th May 2014, 14:48

The only thing that stopped that from ranking higher was Rosberg just not quite catching Hamilton in enough time. Fantastic drive from Sebastian Vettel (the man who couldn’t overtake), fanatic drive from Ricciardo yet again and it’s great to see the Ferrari drivers close finally!

9. And it fully deserves it.

• Cocaine-Mackeine said on 11th May 2014, 15:01

9? Did you even saw the race mate?
      There was actually more overtakes via DRS than normal overtakes. That was a factor that really sucked in this race.
      Also the tyres, luckily it didn’t back off Rosberg in the end. I know that the tension was unbearable in the end, but we had to wait 60 laps to get a decent battle.

• Jackj said on 11th May 2014, 15:05

He like the race so he gave it a 9. What’s your problem?

• Slava (@slava) said on 11th May 2014, 15:35

to Cocaine-Mackeine : I did not see any normal overtake. It was terrible and boring. Vettel did good only because his car is faster than most of the field. Strategy worked for him perfectly, so it was easy to overtake someone on older tyres. It doesn’t fascinate me.
        Same goes for Alonso vs Rai: no fight, it was a matter of time when spaniard will be in front of finnish guy.
        Terrible, terrible, terrible.

• Albert said on 11th May 2014, 15:42

Welcome to F1, it has only been this way for the last 60 years :-)

Maybe another sport would be more of your liking.

• Cocaine-Mackeine said on 11th May 2014, 16:10

@slava Exactly, the racing was terrible, also the Ferraris duel wasn’t the big deal (it looked like Kimi let Alonso pass) The only moments that were good were Vettel’s charge and Rosberg on the tail of Hamilon all in the latter stages of the race.

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 11th May 2014, 19:42

@slava his car was hardly far better than the competition. In fact, it’s very slow on the straights – which is the key area for overtaking.

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 11th May 2014, 19:12

The DRS wasn’t too bad – that was a major factor to be considered. And there was actually a lot of prolonged battles were drivers had to get inventive to overtake, which is always more fun to watch.

I still maintain that was a really enjoyable race.

• Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 11th May 2014, 15:01

Couldn’t have said it better. Fantastic race but I would have loved a few more laps! 9/10.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 11th May 2014, 15:06

I think the nature of the track meant that, unlike Bahrain, Rosberg getting ahead would have been a slam dunk rather than a special battle. Of course, however it happens, a change of the lead right at the end tends to make people enjoy a race more (unless they’re rooting for the leader).

• Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 11th May 2014, 17:07

I just wanted a few more laps to see Rosberg actually challenge Hamilton for position. Who actually came out on top would be secondary. Today there was never any true wheel to wheel action between the pair and I would have loved to see some more of the action we saw in Bahrain.

• Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 11th May 2014, 20:04

@colossal-squid

I agree with the end result you hope to see . But in Barcelona , If Rosberg had gotten ahead of Lewis with fresher rubber with DRS assistance , then thats it . Its over . In today’s f1, defensive driving is almost gone with DRS even though I must admit that DRS has had a slight improvement over previous years as to not to allow highway passing.But DRS still makes great defensive drivers like Lewis , Alonso , Hulkenberg look stupid. So, Bahrain situation would have been impossible in Barcelona due to nature of the track and DRS . But yeah one more lap , and Lewis would have had to to scrap hard with Nico and 9 times out of 10 would have had to give up the position . But whew , that was intense at the end . Had Nico not locked up ……. who knows !

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 11th May 2014, 15:03

I think a 9 is a bit too much for this race. Yes, it was tense all way long for the lead, a bit of a strategic battle and mental fight. And we did see a lovely drive from Vettel into p4 with quite a bit of gutsy overtaking from him, and the last 10-20 laps were superb racing.

But a 9 needs a bit more than that.

• Cocaine-Mackeine said on 11th May 2014, 15:20

Exactly @bascb This race wasn’t worth a 9/10. That’s the problem @jackj. If the rce had more real overtaking than DRSing then my rating would change.

• ECWDanSelby (@ecwdanselby) said on 11th May 2014, 19:16

My issue with this kind of score is what on earth would Brazil 2008 be?

I always think back to that race when I see my over-rate (in my opinion..) races.

You surely have to use some sort of spectrum?

To me, it just seems some people give it a 9 if they had fun with it. You have to bear in mind that you’re 1 point away from the absolute perfect race, which would suggest that it was a great race from start to finish.

I don’t think it’s even really debatable that this race did NOT have action from start to finish.

It was good, better than some races this season, but 1 point away from the ‘perfect’ race? That’s borderline crazy.

And yes, i’m very much prepared to be jumped on for this opinion, but I honestly just don’t get it.

• ECWDanSelby (@ecwdanselby) said on 11th May 2014, 19:17

My?! *People over-rate races

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 11th May 2014, 19:45

It’s all relative I suppose. I tend to vote on the intensity of my emotional response immediately after the race has finished – considering omissions for my favourite drivers performing well – and with that this race was very good. Perhaps an 8 would be more justified retrospectively, but I still thoroughly enjoyed the race, and that is the overruling influence on my voting.

Though of course, there are races where one has to vote 10, and perhaps would wish for a bonus point. I wouldn’t in fact class Brazil 2008 under that category – only Brazil 2012 for me has been deserving of “more than a 10″.

• Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 11th May 2014, 17:04

I don’t think 9 is too much at all (clearly! I gave it a 9 also). It depends on what you personally value in a race. I personally thought that there was enough intrigue, tension and battles throughout the field from lights to flag to justify such a high score. It wasn’t an overtaking bonanza, but the overtakes that happened, and the strategies that worked counted for so much due to the nature of the track re track position that I found enough suspense and enjoyment from such things that I feel entirely justified in giving such a score.

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 11th May 2014, 19:48

@bascb true, perhaps an 8 would be more representative. Though I thought of the opening phase as coiling the spring, which was easily counterbalanced by the end of the race containing quite so much action.

• Fumbles (@) said on 11th May 2014, 15:27

“The man who couldn’t overtake”

I don’t think people accuse him of being unable. Fantastic strategy I’d say. On his third and fourth stint he was one of the only people on the track actually going all-out. He collected the fastest lap in each one and overtook via DRS (Massa exception), showing that the Red Bull probably would have taken the second row altogether otherwise. He was out of place most of the time, meaning the overtakes themselves were pretty easy pickings. 2 seconds faster than Raikkonen a lap when he was catching him…

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 11th May 2014, 15:41

They used to, but I haven’t heard the accusation for quite a few years- he dispelled that myth in 2011.

• Fumbles (@) said on 11th May 2014, 23:07

I’m gonna be honest, he used to be atrocious at overtaking. 2009 and 2010 he had some awful moments, even ignoring the famous ones. For a lot of the time it really was just the fact that he was leading from pole that he won, which is why i really don’t think he deserved his first championship from his performances.

The lowest Vettel’s ever won a race from on the grid is 3rd. Not putting forward anything more than that, but it is a fact for the 5 years he’s been winning races and championships.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 12th May 2014, 19:22

@turbotoaster Senna wasn’t really any better in terms of lowest position to win from. But both produced some great overtakes on the occasions when either they didn’t win or only needed to pass 1 or 2 drivers to win.

Maybe your point is that I shouldn’t have used ‘myth’- that’s fair. He did make enough mistakes prior to 2011 that it was an opinion which was fully warranted, and one I believed myself.

I do think he deserved his first championship though. Everybody involved made at least a couple of silly mistakes, but Vettel was superior to Webber and unlucky in comparison. For me, any of Hamilton, Vettel or Alonso would have been worthy (although I personally would have ranked Hamilton first).

• Fumbles (@) said on 12th May 2014, 19:58

@matt90 Not gonna lie I was rooting for Webber. But with the poor starts and the newly-damaged leg he made a few too many mistakes after Hungary.

• DaveD (@daved) said on 11th May 2014, 15:49

I’m with Max on this one. I think it was a 9 because of how well it built up and the last 10 laps were extremely tense for a lot of positions. Lewis showed his merit by holding off Nico when the team put him on the back foot with two poor pit stops.

And I was more impressed with Vettel’s drive today than anything he did last year when he won the championship! I think that he, and now Lewis, have made it clear what a driver can do with an overpowering car. But now, hen I see Vettel come back through the field like this with a lesser car, then I’m more inclined to start giving him that “great” label.

I’ll be giving Seb a driver of the weekend vote for this one.

• I’d like to adress this DRS overtaking. Button overtaking Guttierez, now that was DRS, being ahead long before the actual corner.

Vettel only pulled aside the other car plenty of times in T10 making it a very profesional outbraking move assisted by DRS. DRS moves just need you to move aside and pass and then brake. Vettel did all this at the same time quite a few times in T10. I do make a difference.

(Possibly my explanation wasn’t clear, don’t go on a rant)

• Patrick (@paeschli) said on 12th May 2014, 18:15

Gave it the same rating for the same reason.

Great drive by Vettel, a fantastic (but maybe too short) scrap between Hamilton and Rosberg and the Ferrari battle we were all waiting for.

9. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 11th May 2014, 14:49

Wow, frenetic last 10 laps or so. Really good battles at the end there between the Mercedes and the Ferrari’s.

Rosberg must be wondering what he has to do to beat Hamilton now. This is the second time he has had the faster tyre and DRS in the closing stages and still couldn’t get the job done.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 11th May 2014, 15:05

I think Rosberg is quietly liking what he hears when Hamilton keeps complaining (on the radio and after the race) because that is where Lewis might be vulnerable – his own mental state – if Rosberg can make him feel alone and gets thinking too much that might be his best chance @geemac

• Iestyn Davies (@fastiesty) said on 11th May 2014, 15:05

Indeed, if they could have some more tussles like almost today it would be a much more interesting battle. So far it’s a good effort by Hamilton to keep him behind, which is more like 2007-8; might as well have some variety… could we get bored of them passing/repassing for the win :P?

• Albert said on 11th May 2014, 15:08

“The closing stages” this time were a little more than a lap. This was not really comparable to Bahrain.

• Jason (@jason12) said on 11th May 2014, 15:32

@geemac
      It also looks the Engineers on Rosberg side of the garage are lot more competent.
      They more often nail the PIT STOPS and CAR SETUP.

Lewis is really being let down by this Engineers.

10. f199player (@f199player) said on 11th May 2014, 14:50

Great race, Camera director was terrible

11. PhilEReid (@philereid) said on 11th May 2014, 14:51

8/10

All I can say is, I was massively tense, hugely tense as a Hamilton fan, and whilst it’s you aren’t supposed to rate a race based on the driver, but… I think that definitely helped this one. Objectively, it’d be about a 6/6.5 maybe 7, subjectively, as I say, made much better by the fact it way my driver leading, which created the tension. There were actually some good battles around as well, Vettel overtaking people for fun, and what about the intra-team battle at Ferrari. Those two had a good fight for a bit there.

Overall, decent race, very decent.

• tmax (@tmax) said on 11th May 2014, 15:22

Everybidy have their opinion and inrespect that but Really 8/10 ????

• tmax (@tmax) said on 11th May 2014, 15:23

Everybidy = Everybody
        inespect = I respect

• John H (@john-h) said on 11th May 2014, 20:47

I voted 8 too, because of inter-team battles being allowed to happen… even at Ferrari. I also enjoyed Grosjean mixing it towards the front again. Ok, Mercedes were way out but there was still a lot of tension during the race. Shame about DRS, but there you go what can you do.

• Slava (@slava) said on 11th May 2014, 15:36

It was tense in Bahrain. In this race Rosberg never was close enough to try even.

• Scribe (@scribe) said on 11th May 2014, 18:15

I’d say Bahrain and Spain were both excellent races for different reasons. I gave Bahrain a 10 cause what more can you as for really, it was mental during the whole race, Spain I gave a 7, bit of a slow burner, but I was always engaged, there were some good battles on what is not an entertaining circuit some very good drives, and the Ros Ham dynamic was lots of fun.

12. TMF (@tmf42) said on 11th May 2014, 14:51

8/10 – RBR made it interesting with their strategy and enabled VETs great recovery. HAM/ROS was decided in their 2nd stint but it was good that ROS caught HAM to add some spice to the last laps.

13. AlokIn (@) said on 11th May 2014, 14:51

Invincible Lewis !! Good driver under pressure .

• Theoddkiwi (@theoddkiwi) said on 11th May 2014, 14:56

Yeah, he seems to be all panic stations up until when Rosberg has caught him and then he seems to then just calm down and do all he needs to do. He seems to be at his best when it’s closer rather than when there is a few seconds gap

14. DaveF1 (@davef1) said on 11th May 2014, 14:53

6/10, just above average.

15. JCost (@jcost) said on 11th May 2014, 14:53

There’s no 6.5 so I had to go to 6…

Encouraging last stint for Red Bull. Driver of the weekend should be Lewis Hamilton but Driver of the race is Sebastian Vettel.

Congrats to Dan Ricciardo for his first binding podium and for Marco Matiacci for allowing Kimi to defend his place and in the end it ended alright, so Ferrari that’s the way to go.

1 2 3 6