Rate the race: 2014 Spanish Grand Prix

2014 Spanish Grand Prix

Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull, Circuit de Catalunya, 2014What did you think of today’s race? Share your verdict on the Spanish Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2014 Spanish Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (3%)
  • 2 (2%)
  • 3 (3%)
  • 4 (5%)
  • 5 (10%)
  • 6 (18%)
  • 7 (30%)
  • 8 (22%)
  • 9 (6%)
  • 10 (1%)

Total Voters: 800

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

You need an F1 Fanatic account to vote. Register an account here or read more about registering here. When this poll is closed the result will be displayed instead of the voting form.

See the results for past seasons here:

2014 Spanish Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Spanish Grand Prix articles

249 comments on Rate the race: 2014 Spanish Grand Prix

1. Rigi (@rigi) said on 11th May 2014, 14:54

i thought it was boring. only the last few laps we saw actual overtaking, the rest was basically pit-stop overtakes. fun to watch for stragists, but not me. i want to see on-track action and we didn’t get any today. monaco will most likely be the same, however it could get intresting if vettel or ricciardo snatch pole.

5/10

2. sato113 (@sato113) said on 11th May 2014, 14:54

7/10 not bad

3. Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 11th May 2014, 14:54

8/10 Wow those final laps did mount the tension . Even at the very last chicane , Brundle caught his breath as he thought Hamilton slowed a bit. Massive drives from Lewis , Rosberg , Bottas ,Alonso and Vettel !

4. FullSpe3d (@dryyoshi) said on 11th May 2014, 14:54

6/10 may as well have missed everything before the last 10 laps as that’s where all the action happened.

5. Ricardo Ferreira (@yes-master) said on 11th May 2014, 14:54

These are my notes:
    1. I gave it an 8 mainly due to the champion-style race of Vettel. Amazing stuff! I would be surprise if Vettel was not considered the DOTW. He excel himself and respond to every critics and to the bad luck he felt over this weekend. Any doubts he’s a brilliant driver?
    2. Congrats to Ham and Mercedes. They are in a different level. Which is not good to F1, however. Nonetheless, I was hopping to watch Nico fighting to overtake Ham, and give a Merc fight, but unfortunately, it was not possible. Too bad, or else I could consider a 9.
    3. Ferrari need a proper car asap. What the hell is Ferrari doing? Battling for not having a +1 lap?
    4. Congrats to Ricciardo. Another good and clean race.

• GeordiePorker (@geordieporker) said on 11th May 2014, 15:00

Not sure Vettel can win DOTW…he only took part in half of it!!

But seriously, great drive by VET, HAM, ROS and RIC. Between VET and HAM for DOTW imho.

• Ricardo Ferreira (@yes-master) said on 11th May 2014, 15:44

But we have to consider the fastest lap also:

Seb – 1:28.918
        Nico – 1:29.236
        Ham – 1:29.483

• GeordiePorker (@geordieporker) said on 11th May 2014, 16:00

I’m not sure I care about the fastest lap for DOTW…in fact, one of the reasons I put Lewis ahead of Nico was precisely because his car wasn’t working as well (or at least he wasn’t as comfortable in it), but he still wrung more out of it than Nico could manage.

Seb’s lap, on the other hand, shows that in a poorer car he was still able to find a HUGE amount of performance. Despite my natural support for Lewis, I think I’m verging towards Seb for DOTW.

Nico, I think, has to lose points (in terms of DOTW) for missing out on both pole and the win when he should have managed both given how good he felt with the car.

But like I said, only my opinion!

• Mike Dee (@mike-dee) said on 11th May 2014, 17:50

Fastest lap for Vettel was of course due to him being on a three-stop and really pushing immediately after changing to the softer tyres. None of the Mercs did so.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 11th May 2014, 18:10

Not really. They were on different strategies.

6. Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 11th May 2014, 14:55

7/10 for me, and it was thanks to the last 10 laps, Grande Lewis Nico should raise his game he has only his teammate to fight, great drive from both the RBR drivers especially Vettel with his usual turn 9/10 tricks in spain (similar to 2011), finally good racing from the Ferrari drivers and hats off for the team for using different strategies if the team improves the F14T we may see a Ferrari/RBR battles with Vettel/RIC and Fernand/kimi in the mix

7. Cocaine-Mackeine said on 11th May 2014, 14:55

The last laps were thrilling and wonderful. But the rest was pretty boring.
    I really wanted Rosberg to catc h Hamilton, it really reminded me of the end of the 2011 Spanish GP, with Hamilton catching Vettel.
    Really I didn’t like this race, but most of you will overrate it, which I think, didn’t saw the first 50 laps of the race.

• Malik (@malik) said on 11th May 2014, 15:00

In 2011 Vettel was racing without KERS which makes his defence more impressive

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 11th May 2014, 15:11

Although they were in different cars, and Vettel’s was clearly vastly better out of the final corner, wich was the one place Hamilton needed to get a strong run.

• ECWDanSelby (@ecwdanselby) said on 11th May 2014, 19:25

I do feel it’s a bit of a trend here, for whatever reason.

Not sure whether it’s the influx of (I hate this term..) ‘fan boys’ or what have you.

We had a lot of massively over-rated races when Vettel was winning, and the same seems to happen when Lewis wins, too.

I think we’re very much in the minority, though!

• Mackeine Loveine (@cocaine-mackeine) said on 12th May 2014, 2:06

@ ecwdanselby It´s not minority, I´m unsure of what it is, but people go mad when something exciting happens in the last laps of the races. An example: China 2012. The whole race was a yawner, only a few moments were actually “interestring”. But then it came a point where the positions 2-14 were covered by 10 seconds. Obviously it was exciting to see that train of cars overtaking and battling, but I think it wasn´t enough to get a high score of 8.648 (see The Rate The Race Results 2012). People tend to overrate a race just when it happens something very exciting that only last a couple of minutes, compared to an hour and a half of dull racing.

8. matt90 (@matt90) said on 11th May 2014, 14:56

7. Incredibly tense for the last 20 laps- not just the last 10 because Rosberg was instantly taking chunks of time out of Hamilton after the last stop, it’s just that Hamilton was able to occasionally peg him back. Vettel looked to get a slow start but ended up scything through the field. Raikkonen did great holding off Alonso for so long.

9. GeordiePorker (@geordieporker) said on 11th May 2014, 14:57

Tense and tight race…not as exciting as Bahrain, but lots of strategy intrigue leading up to a fascinating last 10 laps. 7/10.

10. mixwell (@mixwell) said on 11th May 2014, 14:58

what a drive by Ham and Seb. Not much action otherwise.
    Yesterday in qualifying, they had jacked up the engine volumes and turned down Commentary for almost whole of Q1 and today they had horrible camera angles and low(est?) engine volumes compared to last few races. I’m ok with how the engines sound but this was a dull weekend as far as sound quality is concerned.

11. Slava (@slava) said on 11th May 2014, 14:59

It was boring. Nothing interesting, almoust no fight. 3 points.
    Boring season.

12. mrjlr93 (@mrjlr93) said on 11th May 2014, 15:02

I may get some stick for this post but after 10 years of watching F1 I am no longer a fan. The racing is no longer entertaining in my opinion. I can’t sit here and say wow 10 laps of exciting racing can make up for 56 boring ones cause it just cant. In the last 2 years I have been getting more into the WEC which is getting stronger all the time and is a sport F1 really needs to look at as it is a Hybrid championship all so. But for now F1 has lost me for the time being.

• Mayank (@mjf1fan) said on 11th May 2014, 15:30

Good bye and have a nice time :)

• AbeyG (@1abe) said on 11th May 2014, 15:38

I laugh every time I read comments like this. Once in a while we have someone who comes up with the number of years they watched F1 and how the recent race they saw was not exciting and why they are going to stop watching F1. Good riddance.

• MagillaGorilla (@magillagorilla) said on 11th May 2014, 15:43

@mrjlr93 you say it as if any of us truly care… I hope you enjoy WEC to it’s fullest capacity.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 11th May 2014, 15:45

I don’t remember the racing 10 years ago being regularly spectacular though.

• petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 11th May 2014, 16:12

@mrjlr93 – So you preferred races at Catalunya 10 years ago? Loads of passes back then eh?

• ECWDanSelby (@ecwdanselby) said on 11th May 2014, 19:32

I think this is exactly his point, @petebaldwin.

I was more than willing to give the DRS a chance, but I just can’t have it.

I’ll continue to watch F1 until I feel forced away from it, but I do already feel like i’ve been shoved a few times.

We’re under zero illusion that there was more wheel to wheel action ‘back then’, because stats will tell you that’s just not the case.

However, I DO miss the art of defending an overtake.

I DO miss the suspense of ‘will he, or won’t he?’.

The best we have now is “will he catch him (aka pass him) in time?”, which is nerve racking, but once someone catches another driver, it’s game over within a lap or two. That’s the reality.

So I think it’s vastly unfair when people jump on others for saying how they find DRS and today’s F1 a little bit of a turn off.

I can’t remember the last DRS pass that genuinely gave me joy and made me want to jump up and applaud a driver, like I would have done pre-DRS days.

I think i’d take a few flat out boring races, mixed with the occasional classic, and some decent ones if it meant it was fair, genuine racing.

Let’s be honest – even now, all of the races aren’t instant classics just because they contain 50 overtakes, are they?

• mrjlr93 (@mrjlr93) said on 12th May 2014, 0:51

You hit the nail on the head there. Drivers are no longer able to defend the position no longer. Its simply wait till DRS zone open flap fake to the inside go down the outside job done. Drivers years ago would defend that position and the attacking driver would have to find a way around it ways real racing as Senna once said. If any drivers would do that today they would be given a penalty for to many moves on the race track.

But as many are aware by having a opinion we are shoot down for saying something we believe has diminished what was once a truly great sport.

• mK2 said on 11th May 2014, 17:58

lol

13. KaIIe (@kaiie) said on 11th May 2014, 15:02

6/10. Felt like pretty much nothing happened between laps 5-55. I do like the strategic element, but there just wasn’t that much going on today.

14. Textbook definition of a classic slow-burner.
    Stellar drive from Vettel right there and happy for Ricciardo now that he’s going to keep this one.

If that race is enough to depress me as a Ferrari fan, I can’t imagine how you McLaren fans must have felt after another pointless race.
    Hang in there, guys.

15. Textbook definition of a classic slow-burner.
    Stellar drive from Vettel right there and happy for Ricciardo now that he’s going to keep this particular trophy.

Hang in there, guys.