Rate the race: 2014 Spanish Grand Prix

2014 Spanish Grand Prix

Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull, Circuit de Catalunya, 2014What did you think of today’s race? Share your verdict on the Spanish Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2014 Spanish Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (3%)
  • 2 (2%)
  • 3 (3%)
  • 4 (5%)
  • 5 (10%)
  • 6 (18%)
  • 7 (30%)
  • 8 (22%)
  • 9 (6%)
  • 10 (1%)

Total Voters: 800

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

You need an F1 Fanatic account to vote. Register an account here or read more about registering here. When this poll is closed the result will be displayed instead of the voting form.

See the results for past seasons here:

2014 Spanish Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Spanish Grand Prix articles

249 comments on Rate the race: 2014 Spanish Grand Prix

1. EstF1 (@estf1) said on 11th May 2014, 15:15

This race was much better than the last one. Last 15 laps were awesome!

2. Oscar (@oscar) said on 11th May 2014, 15:16

First 5 laps were ok, and the last 10 where thrilling!
    So, we have some 51 laps that were almost boring. And I say “almost” because VET put a bit of taste after his first pit stop and that made the race to be a bit less linear.
    I´d give it a 6.5, but as I can´t do that, the last 5 laps made me give it a 7.

3. tmax (@tmax) said on 11th May 2014, 15:16

Nothing interesting other than the constant whining of Lewis over the radio !!!!!

Mercedes nearly lapped the bulls !!!! Talk about making F1 interesting :(

4. Guy (@sudd) said on 11th May 2014, 15:19

This is kind of funny. You can tell who the noobs are by their ratings. If you’re rating it as 5 or 6, I’m sorry but you just don’t understand F1. Its F1 not turning cars guys!

I can point out from beginning to end what made the race so tense and interesting, but I’m afraid that would be futile. But here’s a few hints: tire strategies, intrateam battles, and timing/telemetry.

• Fumbles (@) said on 11th May 2014, 16:11

I really didn’t enjoy this race. The 40 laps in the middle were all setting up for things, and I’ve got to say I didn’t get very excited – Hamilton was always just far too much in control from the beginning. If the roles were reversed it’d probably have been much more tense, because Hamilton’s ominous form recently would have been awesome as he caught up to Rosberg. When Rosberg was catching, though I was rooting for him, I knew his chance was pretty small even when he was catching. The DRS was very strong here, and I only remember two passes outside of the DRS zones.

I’d also say it was very naughty for Mercedes to put Rosberg on the harder tyres for his second stint when he was saying the softer tyre was better on him. His best chance of overtaking was not at the end, but during the second stint. I think we got cheated out of a much more exciting race, though of course I have no idea what went on to make the decisions.

Very hollow I’d say. Too much teasing and not enough actual delivery. A race I think people won’t look back on as kindly this time next year (I’m trying to think of a similar race. Belgium 2009 is similar. A lot of tension and hype because of Force India, but in the race portion it was pretty lacking). Really little changed, and I think now with the race result known it has little replay value.

That’s just my opinion though.

• David Not Coulthard (@davidnotcoulthard) said on 11th May 2014, 16:34

If they think a regular race is 3/4 yet still like them, today 5/6, Canada 2011 7/8 because it was too long,and the 2008 finale 9/10, I think it’s fine.

It’s just that @keithcollantine opted against providing a “5/6=good 7/8=a bit better and 9/10 Bahrain” guide so 2 people that each think of a race as highly aseach other can end up giving different scores.

Having said thatthough that race was certainly a bit better than 5 or 6.

5. KeeleyObsessed (@keeleyobsessed) said on 11th May 2014, 15:23

Watching it slightly behind due to a timing mess-up (which I blame on the Beeb, but I probably should have checked), I was thinking towards the mid-part of the race that it was going to be a close finish. A brilliant last stint with Rosberg closing in. 8/10

6. Mads (@mads) said on 11th May 2014, 15:24

This was definitely a classic slow-burner.
    Not a lot going on at the beginning, but then it all came together and set up the perfect scenario for several last minute battles towards the end.
    Loved it. 8/10.

7. Michael C said on 11th May 2014, 15:24

It was very good for a dry race with no safety car. Lots of overtaking for Spain and fantastic battles. I deduct a point only for a lack of wheel to wheel at the front and lack of fighting at the back of the grid, or am I being too picky? 8/10

8. craig-o (@craig-o) said on 11th May 2014, 15:30

Intriguing more than exciting. Great to see Ferrari going wheel to wheel with each other and Vettel pulling off some decent moves. 7/10.

9. spoutnik (@spoutnik) said on 11th May 2014, 15:30

Gave it a 7, there were some good fight, for a Spanish grand prix. The Mercedes lapped every car until sixth though, and a bunch were lapped twice. 3 laps more and they would have lapped Alonso, despite having made no mistakes, this is worrying. Rosberg seems unable to match Hamilton in standard conditions, I don’t see how he could retake the lead, Hamilton being consistently faster.
    I loved how Vettel came from nowhere to fourth, a really encouraging feat, he was on fire.
    Kudos to Bottas, crushing his teammate, about to take seventh in WDC from Hulkenberg, and Grosjean for a superb 8th with half a car, bringing the first four points to the team, a real breath for them!

10. Jason (@jason12) said on 11th May 2014, 15:40

Difficult race for Lewis.
    Spent most of his time setting up the car.
    Maybe Engineers should be swapped around every other race.

11. Andrei (@crandreico) said on 11th May 2014, 15:40

Booooooooring and a farce.

12. Abdelilah BENAOU (@abdelilah) said on 11th May 2014, 16:07

The way Hamilton won over Rosberg is just amazing, hats off.

13. Fumbles (@) said on 11th May 2014, 16:12

That’s just my opinion though.

14. petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 11th May 2014, 16:15

Got to be honest, had I not got the F1 official app (for free) and as such had access to the sector times, I’d have struggled to be interested in the first 50 laps. Seeing Hamilton and Rosberg battling for tenths in each sector kept it exciting though.

Then obviously everything built up to a great final part of the race. Really close with some great battles.

Overall, I gave it a 7. Races like Brazil 2008 are worthy of a 10. Bahrain this year deserved a 9… This race was exciting but it certainly wasn’t up with them but it was very entertaining.

15. Corrado (@corrado-dub) said on 11th May 2014, 16:15

5. Boring.

The last 10 laps were interesting, the rest….. bleah. In the first 10 laps, the 2 Mercedes cars opened a gap of more than 1second per lap. This is huge. The followers also split into packs of 2-3 cars (Ricciardo vs. Bottas, then Grosjean vs. Raikkonen vs. Alonso etc etc) and the drivers from each pack were also split by ~ 2seconds. So, everything was more than settled, nobody tried to attack anybody. If that’s not “maximum boring”/parade….. have no ideea what it is ! The following laps were pretty much the same. 5/10 seems to me to be the true rating this race deserves.

• Evans said on 11th May 2014, 17:51

Agreed, unless if you are a LH fan then the tension would have made you more excited about the race.

• Corrado (@corrado-dub) said on 11th May 2014, 19:29

Sorry, really didn’t understand if you agree or not with me. I’m an Alonso/Ferrari fan, but I don’t rate the races based on Alonso/Ferrari did in the race. Until the 1st pit stop, there was absolutely nothing to see for us, spectators, at the front. And by “front” I mean first 10 positions !

• ECWDanSelby (@ecwdanselby) said on 11th May 2014, 19:38

Yeh, I think you really need to understand that we rate the races based on how good the race was, not where ‘our driver’ or ‘our team’ finished.

• Evans said on 12th May 2014, 2:06

That’s the impression we all want to give but look at how people that support LH have rated this race higher that it deserves. Some even claimed it was an 8 or even a 9!
          Clearly this was influenced by the fact that they support LH and there was some tension for them. For some of us who don’t support LH the race died down after the first 4 corners. Personally I never expected NR to pass LH even with an extra couple of laps. Everyone else just took their inevitable positions.