Rate the race: 2014 Spanish Grand Prix

2014 Spanish Grand Prix

Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull, Circuit de Catalunya, 2014What did you think of today’s race? Share your verdict on the Spanish Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2014 Spanish Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (3%)
  • 2 (2%)
  • 3 (3%)
  • 4 (5%)
  • 5 (10%)
  • 6 (18%)
  • 7 (30%)
  • 8 (22%)
  • 9 (6%)
  • 10 (1%)

Total Voters: 800

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

You need an F1 Fanatic account to vote. Register an account here or read more about registering here. When this poll is closed the result will be displayed instead of the voting form.

See the results for past seasons here:

2014 Spanish Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Spanish Grand Prix articles

249 comments on Rate the race: 2014 Spanish Grand Prix

1. Aqib (@aqibqadeer) said on 11th May 2014, 16:20

Not as great as bahrain but still a good race so 7/10 from me

2. Spawinte (@spawinte) said on 11th May 2014, 16:27

8 / 10

It was quite decent as far as Spanish GPs go. I missed about a third of it as I was busy watching the Giro d’Italia pass by outside my apartment balcony but I don’t think I missed anything important.

3. David not Coulthard (@davidnotcoulthard) said on 11th May 2014, 16:29

As somebody who rates a “regular vanilla ‘borefest'” 6 I gave it a 7.

4. Ron (@rcorporon) said on 11th May 2014, 17:37

6/10 for me.

Seb’s charge was great to watch, and some other passes which made for a good final 10 laps but overall a bit boring. Result was never really in doubt.

5. magon4 (@magon4) said on 11th May 2014, 17:52

How many fans actually do some driving in their free time? I’ve karted quite a lot, enough to know that not every race is exceptional, and not every race has to be. There were some great races, and others where it was pretty boring, long distance behind and in front of some one. That’s motorsport, and that’s okay. You must love the sport in all its details, not just in a “why isn’t there more overtaking”… that’s just a part, a nice part, but a part nonetheless.
    Let’s not try to make this a show people wanna watch. Either you love the sport and discuss it on that level, or just go watch something else.
    Sorry, but it irritates me when people complain about things that are actually part of the sport, and always have been, like strategy. It is not about racing as fast as you can the whole time for 300+ km, it is about using your brain, and maximising your options.
    This was so fascinating about Hamilton, Rosberg, Bottas and Vettel today – they were able to maximize their potential in the different racing situations, and that’s what I like to see. I don’t expect it to be thrilling from start to finish until the end, because I know from own experience that that is not realistic in racing; but it is still fun every time!

• pSynrg (@psynrg) said on 11th May 2014, 17:57

@mogon4 Quite possibly the most sensible comment I’ve seen on here in years… I couldn’t agree more…

• Mike Dee (@mike-dee) said on 11th May 2014, 18:27

Of course, not every race needs to be fantastic. But it is ok to give a race a low rating if it was a bit boring. What point would the ratings have otherwise?

• magon4 (@magon4) said on 11th May 2014, 19:01

agreed. just wanna make sure we are rating the race, not the sport.

• Jackj said on 11th May 2014, 19:27

There is NO point to ratings. Each and everyone of us rates differently according to whatever arbitrary factor that we fancy. Sure, when you average those ratings up, it can represent if a race is liked or not by the viewers but in the end, who cares? I love that race, fine. You hate this race, also fine.
        Rate to your heart’s content. It changes nothing.

• Jason said on 11th May 2014, 19:26

+1000

• Corrado (@corrado-dub) said on 11th May 2014, 19:50

Sorry man, but we are spectators first ! Most of us are just “plain” fans of cars/motorsport, without any engineering/logical diploma. We’re here for the show mostly, not to understand the strategies etc etc. Besides the show, we don’t get anything. That’s not the case with those we watch – the make millions of euros, win trophies, fame, a place in history etc ! Also, too many things are hidden to us in order to even make proper judgements, to be closer to an objective point of view. So, yeah, I agree we should expect to see some boring stuff, always happened, but these days this kinda become the norm. F1 is more Le Mans than Le Mans itself. Le Mans is closer to a sprint race than F1 nowadays. The drivers need to back off in order to keep their tyres “alive” as much as possible, this season because of the fuel limit, the aero doesn’t help too much either when it comes to overtaking etc. F1 simply doesn’t seem to be a sport about the “fastest” anymore. I don’t think Senna would have enjoyed it as it is now.

• Ed Marques (@edmarques) said on 11th May 2014, 23:13

Fuel limit is not an issue. And as you seem a Senna fan, most of the 1988, 1990 and 1991 races were “boring” like we watched today. And if you don’t understand the strategies i don’t think you really like F1.

6. ltsh (@ltsh) said on 11th May 2014, 19:10

great racing throughout the field with Alonso, Raikkonen, Ricciardo, Bottas and vettel and i was always on the edge of my seat from the battle between Hamilton and Rosberg but thankfully Hamilton held on. nice to see an improvement in Marussias performance with them comfortably faster than Caterham and challenging the midfield at the start. I gave it an 8

7. Paul2013 said on 11th May 2014, 19:23

Photos of the Ferrari aerodynamical improvements for CANADA revealed.

• Paul2013 said on 11th May 2014, 19:24

here is the link

• ECWDanSelby (@ecwdanselby) said on 11th May 2014, 19:40

Want to try the link but it looks dodgy…

Plus, I suspect it’ll be one of those ‘hilarious’ images of a block of lego or something.

• pSynrg (@psynrg) said on 11th May 2014, 21:56

@ecwdanselby Not even that good. Just a pic of a ‘joke’ cut’n’shut of a car with a truck cab in the middle.

For future reference, the link was fine, it’s just using Google’s URL shortener to make a long incomprehensible link (such as you’d get sharing a pic from cloud storage for example) into something more manageable…

8. Mcquiz (@mcquiz) said on 11th May 2014, 19:45

Incredible overrating here as always. Every single race gets voted on average 7 or above. Did you know that. Half the time when you say it was an average or boring race you give it a 7. Where’s the logic in that?
    I actually think that this was average and I’m gonna give it a 5.

9. IDR (@idr) said on 11th May 2014, 19:58

I really do not understand those ratings. This race is rated more less 7,5.

Does anybody think there is only 2,5 points between this race and, for example, Donnington 1993 (one of the greatest victories of Senna), or 1996 Spanish GP (First victory of Schumi with Ferrari)?

I do not give this race more than 4-5 points and I’m pretty sure everybody will not remember anything interesting of this race after some few months (Only Keith will keep some stats & facts for the history of F1)

• Jonny Edwards (@racectrl) said on 12th May 2014, 0:25

Today’s race was more entertaining than both those races put together. Both races were completely dominated by the victors In devastating fashion. A snooze fest. Great victories but hardly entertaining. I’m here to rate how much I enjoyed this race and due to some very tense inter-team battles, and a storming drive from Vettel, I give this race a 7/10. A slow burner that turned into one of the better Spanish grand prixs.

10. Nick (@npf1) said on 11th May 2014, 20:13

Pretty average race, which means an average grade. A 6.

To the guys above me; people on the internet generally vote within a range of 5-10. I believe this is because the things they rate lower, they either don’t bother reviewing online, or give a 1 out of anger. For me personally, a race like Hungary 2004, with absolutely nothing going for it would be a 3. A 2 or a 1 would have to be a race like Indy 2005. Even a 4 would have to be a race with virtually no on-track overtaking or a scandal of some sort.

I think if the people who vote here now were subjected to some races from the late 90s and early 00s, they probably would vote lower than 5.

• pSynrg (@psynrg) said on 11th May 2014, 22:36

@npf1 I’ve been following F1 since I was old enough to say “cars”. Andretti’s JPS Lotus 79 and Hunt’s McLaren M23 are my earliest memories of watching F1 on TV as a toddler. I’m in my mid 40s and I’ve probably missed no more than 10 races in 30 years.

I rated this one an 8 – and I vote for the whole weekend (I’m particularity enjoying the Mercedes’ utter dominance. It will not last forever, ask Red Bull.)

Nostalgia famously looks better through proverbial rose tinted specs.

“The Overtake” is NOT the be all and end all of F1. F1 is a much richer, deeper and more technical sport than possibly any other. It is why I love it. When there’s a (none DRS) highly accomplished pass, it’s thrilling, exciting and indeed awe inspiring. There may be less of them in F1 than other motorsport simply because the margins are so fantastically small and the drivers of such a high standard that genuine passing (as in none assisted) is rare. It is this rarity that makes it special. If you have several passes per lap it’s no longer a highlight. They wouldn’t be hard fought over many laps. Passing would no longer be special.

It’s a race. A race to a single winner. If you don’t like it then F1 is possibly not for you?

• Nick (@npf1) said on 11th May 2014, 23:57

@psynrg If you hadn’t put in that final remark, I would have gladly given an in depth reply..

• pSynrg (@psynrg) said on 12th May 2014, 8:21

@npf1 It’s just a rhetorical question born of your assumptions about how you would rate a race vs how you think others should rate a race.

• Nick (@npf1) said on 12th May 2014, 11:50

@psynrg

people on the internet generally vote within a range of 5-10

For me personally, etc

I do not remember indulging in sharing how I think others should vote.

• pSynrg (@psynrg) said on 12th May 2014, 13:18

@npf1

OK, my mistake, they were your assumptions on how others are voting. I misinterpreted this to mean you know how and why others are voting the way they do; with some strange reference to a bygone era and how it could/should/would influence the way people vote now.
            My suggestion. Just vote and don’t worry about what or why others are voting.

11. magon4 (@magon4) said on 11th May 2014, 20:45

@keithcollantine maybe it might be interesting to add the standard deviation to the data… see how controversial a rating of a given race was. Should be some interesting reading…

12. dutchtreat (@dutchtreat) said on 11th May 2014, 21:01

Have not rated the race yet, need to think about it more, probably 6 or 7.
    I have never watched a Formula 1 race I did not like. There is always something interesting going on, maybe not at the front. Some of you are so harsh, it is totally unfair. It is still great entertainment. It has been my sport since 1962, helping unload F1 cars at Zandvoort. I love F1 and for me there are no boring races! Grow up.

13. SauberS1 (@saubers1) said on 11th May 2014, 21:53

This race had some good parts, but i don’t like it.

14. Dimitris 1395 (@dimitris-1395) said on 11th May 2014, 22:18

As usual for a SPanish GP, it was quite a technical and somewhat boring race. Mixed strategies and some desicions gave us some exciting last laps. It wasn’t easy to watch and there wasn’t any particular drama to remember from this race. Quite average and will be forgotten soon.
    I got to say, though that this year F1 is more balanced than previous years. Not as per team performance, where Mercedes is well ahead, but the tyres are not drawing attention away from the race, the DRS is not overpowering and there are not so many mechanical failures as we feared before the season.
    In conclusion, a grade of 6/10 is fair, imo, mainly because of Vettel’s drive and the battles in the closing laps.

15. maxthecat said on 11th May 2014, 23:17

5/10

Last 10 laps were ok, the rest was like watching a chess match. Let’s see how the season progresses, but at the moment Bahrain is looking like a one off.