Chilton heads times for Marussia on damp test day

2014 F1 season

Max Chilton, Marussia, Circuit de Catalunya, 2014Max Chilton found himself unexpectedly on top of the times following a rain-hit start to testing in Barcelona.

The Marussia driver put his name at the top of the times in the final minutes of a session which had begun on a wet track and saw a further shower later on in the day.

The day’s running was interrupted by several red flags, including one when Kimi Raikkonen spun his Ferrari at turn four. The floor of the F14 T had to be replaced, and that plus a power unit change earlier in the day and the disruption caused by the wet weather meant Ferrari estimated they had only completed half of their planned workload.

Kamui Kobayashi caused another of the day’s red flags with a substantial crash at turn three.

“There is quite a lot of damage to the car so I’m sorry for the guys in the garage who now have a long night ahead to fix the car,” he said, “but the only good thing is that it was at the end of the day after we’d got through most of the runplan”.

Giedo van der Garde did the most running in the mixed conditions but ended the day bottom of the times for Sauber. He spent the day evaluating hard tyre compounds for Pirelli as part of their test programme.

Driver Car Best time Laps Difference

Image © Marussia

100 comments on Chilton heads times for Marussia on damp test day

1 2 3
  1. Adam Kibbey (@kibblesworth) said on 13th May 2014, 18:01

Er…what?

2. gwenouille (@gwenouille) said on 13th May 2014, 18:01

Huh ? That’s 3 seconds better that his quali time. What is going on ?

3. Chilton used the supersoft tires where as the others used soft and medium tires

4. Burkenheim (@burkenheim) said on 13th May 2014, 18:04

Ha looks like Marussia has been holding back all this time

5. iAltair (@ialtair) said on 13th May 2014, 18:05

What Vettel? What Hamilton? What previous previous WDC drivers?

Max is the new kid in town!

6. Osvaldas31 (@osvaldas31) said on 13th May 2014, 18:06

Chilton v Hamilton for the championship!!!

7. Michael C said on 13th May 2014, 18:11

F1 is so boring now that Marussia are dominating I feel like throwing my remote at the tv. FIA have messed up the rules. Jeez, even my granny could win in a Marussia. I’m going to watch some po- Indycar instead.

8. Dane said on 13th May 2014, 18:19

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. Today was probably the highlight of his career.

9. Morty Vicar (@mortyvicar) said on 13th May 2014, 18:20

Chilton comes in for a bit of flack but he’s not a bad driver: he’s beaten Bianchi fair and square, and he’s no slouch. Maybe he’s not in Hamilton’s league (probably only Alonso is) but he’s not the worst either.

• P J Squeak (@pjsqueak) said on 13th May 2014, 21:02

Hear, hear.

Much like how ‘Minardi’ had a following because they were jolly good chaps (even though they never won anything), I think Max should have a following, because, at the end of the day, he is not such a bad driver. He has completed every F1 race he has entered, and it would be amazing if he could become the driver with the longest winning streak of all time. I believe that he is over half way on that quest, but, in an era when the front is dominated in quite a boring way by one team or another, the question ‘will Max complete another race?’ is more tantalising than Lewis beating Nico.

I find that some of the nepotism and ‘daddy money’ in the sport detracts, however, in Max’s case, I don’t have a problem. He also puts in work for sponsors and he is a regular guy, for some reason I find his Twitter stream oddly fascinating.

There is nothing unfortunate in an ‘Eddie the Eagle’ way about Max, yet he does have this slight ‘imposter syndrome’ air to him. Anyway, I urge everyone to support the guy and count themselves as a fan.

• Jordan Groves said on 13th May 2014, 21:23

I don’t like the ‘statistic’ of Chilton finishing every race he’s competed in… I wouldn’t call 3 laps down finishing a race..

• Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 14th May 2014, 3:23

I like that he has been beating his much hyped teammate . But I’m not the guy who will vote DOTW for Chilton :P .

10. ME4ME (@me4me) said on 13th May 2014, 18:21

Chilton found a shortcut? :P

11. plutoniumhunter (@plutoniumhunter) said on 13th May 2014, 18:35

It’s official. The universe is broken.

12. nemo87 (@nemo87) said on 13th May 2014, 18:36

Marussia’s new upgrades included a Flux-Capacitor.

13. ECWDanSelby (@ecwdanselby) said on 13th May 2014, 18:40

I’d like to see a side-by-side onboard clip of Chilton’s lap to say, someone mid-grid at Barcelona at the weekend.

14. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 13th May 2014, 18:41

I am confused and frightened.

15. NickF12013 (@nickf12013) said on 13th May 2014, 18:41

Oh perfect now we’re on for a Chilton domination. I hope Mercedes will respond to that I don’t want him to run with the champinship so easily.

1 2 3