Hamilton “overslept” but eyeing second Monaco win

2014 Monaco Grand Prix

Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, Monte-Carlo, 2014Lewis Hamilton admitted he arrived late for the start of practice on Thursday at Monaco because he “overslept”.

But the Mercedes driver said he was very pleased with his car’s performance once he got running.

“It felt great,” Hamilton told reporters after setting the fastest time on the first day of running. “Really surprised that it started off so well, really.”

“Got in the car and was looking to just take it one step at a time but the track was amazing to drive and the car’s really behaving a lot better than it was last year, for me.”

Rain disrupted second practice but Hamilton said he began work on his race set-up during the dry first session.

“If we’d missed out both sessions, than maybe [it would have been a setback], but the fact we got that one session at the beginning is a huge plus because I got a long run in as well.

“So I feel pretty set for Saturday. Still some some work to do, just pick up some pace, but we’ll be good.”

Hamilton believes he has a chance to repeat his 2008 victory at the track.

“Monaco is one of the greatest races of all time, it’s such a classic,” he said. “I’ve been trying to win here for a long time and never had the car to do so apart from last year but I wasn’t able to really capitalise on it.”

“So I’m hoping this year, with the great car that we have, I’m hoping that I can do what I should do.”

2014 Monaco Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Monaco Grand Prix articles

Image © Daimler/Hoch Zwei

47 comments on Hamilton “overslept” but eyeing second Monaco win

1. altitude2k said on 22nd May 2014, 15:25

What a pro!

2. Roald (@roald) said on 22nd May 2014, 15:37

Surprising he says he likes the behaviour of this year’s car better than last year’s. Mercedes got it absolutely spot on with their W05.

• Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 22nd May 2014, 16:09

I think a lot of it is the braking performance. He said he was very uncomfortable with last years cars’ brakes. But those problems are all gone with the W05.

Your bang on, Mercedes have done a record-breakingly good job.

• kpcart said on 22nd May 2014, 16:51

it is more likely the new Pirellis tyres are helping him, he is hopeless on tyres that wear… this year the tyres are durable. oh, and the fact he has a car faster by 1 second per lap over the rest of the field :P

• D (@f190) said on 22nd May 2014, 17:33

There are many races where Hamilton has actually been much stronger on his tires than his team mate. Every driver can punish a set too much at times, but I wouldn’t say Hamilton is ” hopeless on tyres that wear” as hes proved this to be untrue several times.

• kbdavies (@kbdavies) said on 22nd May 2014, 17:51

Any F1 fan worth his salt should know by now that the “Lewis is hopeless on tyre wear” argument simply has and never had any foundation. But then again there are many kinds of fans…..

• Amanuel Tesfaye said on 22nd May 2014, 18:56

Everyone is on the same Pirelli tyres. It’s not just Hamilton! But no one (including his team mate) seems to be as fast as he is.

• timi (@timi) said on 22nd May 2014, 19:24

@roaldq The key is that he’s had an input into the car from birth this time around – unlike the car he drove last year which had been borne and bred by Schumi And Nico

• Joshua Mesh (@joshua-mesh) said on 22nd May 2014, 20:08

For years Merc completely overheated their tyres, way quicker than their competitors. I bet that flaw has turned into a pro for them now that the tyres are rock hard, because it means that unlike everyone else, they can now actually put enough heat into the tyres.

3. Himmat said on 22nd May 2014, 15:39

Keith, I think you meant Thursday practice :)

• Rigi (@rigi) said on 22nd May 2014, 16:24

haha, the austrian commentator always got it wrong today and in the end he was laughing at himself because he steps into that trap every year! at the start of the coverage he said ‘welcome to the friday practice’ and at the end he said ‘tune in for the qualifying tomorrow… uuh i mean the day after, damn it!’

4. marcusbreese (@marcusbreese) said on 22nd May 2014, 15:42

Was he actually late for the session itself (i.e. was he on track later than he could have been) or did he just miss out on some pre-practice stuff?

5. Garns (@garns) said on 22nd May 2014, 15:43

I picked Nico this year, may be wrong, the more Lewis talks I get more confident- both should just drive!
    Nico will get stronger in the 2nd half I Think…………………………………..

6. DaveW (@dmw) said on 22nd May 2014, 15:57

This is some hard-core mind games from Hamilton. “I can just sleep-in on practice day and still smoke you, Nico.”

• Hans Herrmann (@twentyseven) said on 22nd May 2014, 16:23

It’s not mind games, he’s actually doing that :)

• zippyone (@zippyone) said on 22nd May 2014, 16:56

Don’t think it’s mind games, just he’s at home in his own bed etc.

Strangely for us both me and my boyfriend slept through alarms this morning, he gets up at 6:30 and I get up at 7:30 but we both woke up at 8am when the kids woke up! It happens sometimes.

• chris said on 22nd May 2014, 17:20

Proper mind games from Lewis here.
      He’s saying Nico has to work so hard, whilst he can take it easy and still be quicker.
      I bet Nico is starting to bounce of the walls trying to find that little bit extra only to find that Lewis has bested him again. Lewis has more time that he is not revealing yet!!

7. Garns (@garns) said on 22nd May 2014, 16:29

Lewis is 100% mind games, that’s his thing!
    If he fly’s he is strong, if not so sure Nico will come over for sure!!

But Daniel & Vettel better here- great race!!!

8. kpcart said on 22nd May 2014, 16:48

well, all he has to do is beat rosberg… who cares if he overslept.

9. Mclarensgirl1 said on 22nd May 2014, 17:03

Definately got up late no time for the ear studs. Good Luck for Sunday Lewis

10. maxthecat said on 22nd May 2014, 17:07

I don’t know if Nicole is there, but he was probably taking a leaf out of the Hunt handbook and having breakfast ;)

11. Brian (@bealzbob) said on 22nd May 2014, 17:24

Sounds like his “GP Weekend alarm” didn’t have Thursday as one of the days :P Unique Monaco :)

12. Yud (@yud77) said on 22nd May 2014, 17:33

it’s amazing how HAM know how to lose a momantum every year lol
    nobody will argue when NR win WDC that HAM blow it lol

13. Dave (@raceprouk) said on 22nd May 2014, 19:28

Gotta love how everything Hamilton does is ‘OMG mind games!’. Can’t wait for the news Lewis has bought a new TV or something equally irrelevant so I can read more ‘OMG mind games!’ posts!

14. Jason said on 22nd May 2014, 20:10

We all oversleep, but obviously freak out when we hear that someone else does.

15. ham44 said on 23rd May 2014, 7:06