Data will prove I did nothing wrong – Rosberg

2014 Monaco Grand Prix

Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, Monte-Carlo, 2014Nico Rosberg says he can easily prove he did not deliberately cause a yellow flag during qualifying at Monaco to take pole position.

Rosberg is under investigation by the stewards after going off at Mirabeau on his last lap during Q3. That brought out the yellow flags, which meant team mate Lewis Hamilton was unable to beat his time.

The incident drew comparisons with Michael Schumacher parking his car at Rascasse during qualifying in 2006 in a bid to secure pole. Schumacher was judged to have done so deliberately and was sent to the back of the grid.

Rosberg told reporters after qualifying he had not done the same: “It’s easy for me to show that because it will be clear in the data that nothing’s majorly different from the lap before,” he said.

“I just braked that little bit late and deep and locked up and that’s it.”

Rosberg said he apologised to Hamilton because his error spoiled his team mate’s lap.

“Of course it’s not the way I want it to go,” he said . “I honestly thought that it was over when I went off the road so that definitely takes away some of the pleasure of it.”

“But in the end you know first is first so I’m still very happy about it.”

Rosberg said he was risking everything on his final run because he expected Hamilton to improve.

“My first lap, I really nailed that one, I was on it. I had a mega banker and I just needed to go for it because I knew Lewis was going to be close, track improving ever so slightly so I just had to go for it and I just exaggerated a little bit, unfortunately”.

“I think in Monaco the most important thing is starting from pole and I managed to do that so that’s the most important and I think the best position to be in for the race tomorrow,” he added.

“It’s still going to be a very tough race: really long, and also with tyres. And starts have been our weakness also as a team so we definitely need to concentrate and get that right and see how it goes.”

2014 Monaco Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Monaco Grand Prix articles

Image © Daimler/Hoch Zwei

107 comments on Data will prove I did nothing wrong – Rosberg

1. Michael C said on 24th May 2014, 16:11

Rosberg I have lost all respect for you. Enjoy your pole position.

• MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 24th May 2014, 16:17

I’m sure he’ll feel devastated when he reads that.

• Michael C said on 24th May 2014, 16:34

It wasn’t aimed at him. It is a statement to say that Nico Rosberg has only lost repect with this stunt he pulled off today. And people still say Lewis is a bad loser? He has every right to be angry, wouldn’t you? Hopefully the stewards abide with the rules and give nico a grid drop.

• Rodney said on 24th May 2014, 19:15

It is soooooo wrong to make a mistake while driving damn it! I have lost respect for all drivers in the world.

2. Charlie (@fieldstvl) said on 24th May 2014, 16:18

Watching Rosberg from the off board camera facing the front-left of his car, it’s difficult to work out what his rapid steering wheel movements are actually correcting. The rear looks planted.

3. Ed Marques (@edmarques) said on 24th May 2014, 16:19

It doesn’t matter if it was on purpose or not.
    His mistake impede everyone, not just his teammate. In Indycars if will make a mistake that spoils the chance for the rest of the field you get penalized. The same should happen in F1, but it won’t.

4. Isaac said on 24th May 2014, 16:26

Look at this picture comparing Rosberg’s line into Mirabeau for both his pole lap and the lap he ran wide.

The real question is why Rosberg was so much more inside on his second lap, when the optimum line is obviously as outside as possible?

• Dave (@raceprouk) said on 24th May 2014, 17:09

the optimum line is obviously as outside as possible?

Are you sure? Do you have all the telemetry and simulation data?

• do you have data otherwise?

Anyway, analysing various pole laps shows this is true. As outside as possible gives a greater angle of entry, allowing greater speed into the corner. Even a non-f1 driver knows that

• pH (@ph) said on 24th May 2014, 17:37

There’s an arrow pointing to the shadows on the right and they clearly shows that these two pictures do not show comparable times, the first picture was taken a bit later. Given that at this stage the car is normally actually moving left, it is quite possible that if the second picture was taken a bit later, so that the shadows on the right are in the same position, then the car would have been more to the left.
      Given that the difference in shadow positions is obvious, I wonder why somebody felt the need to fake an argument against Rosberg.
      All this is irrelevant anyway. I am willing to bet my shoes that if you take pictures like that from all the laps that Hamilton did this week, you would find differences as well. Drivers are humans, not robots, and sometimes they do not drive the way they want.

• Phil said on 24th May 2014, 18:25

Your argument doesn’t make sense. If you claim the first picture is taken later than the second, and that cars normally pull left as time passes, then you would expect the first picture to show ROS more left than the second, when he is actually much more right.

And the difference in position is substantial in F1 driver’s terms, as they have millimeter accuracy. Certainly Rosberg has this level of accuracy.

Even if Rosberg made a genuine mistake, the fact that he knew that a mistake would guarantee him pole, would definitely have made him push even harder to the extent of over-the-top raggedness, as demonstrated at the start of his second lap, and the subsequent error.

• Chips said on 24th May 2014, 18:41

You can clearly see in this video that Rosberg made no attempt at taking the widest possible entry into the corner, instead staying in the middle of the track and braking.

How can he claim to be pushing too hard when one would use as much of the track as possible when being aggressive, going up to the left wall?

5. James (@goodyear92) said on 24th May 2014, 16:28

Sorry, but in my honest opinion — and this is after watching the moment back numerous times — I think there’s enough evidence to suggest that his lock-up was at least partially done in a deliberate attempt to impede Hamilton.

First off, the positioning of his car on the approach to the corner was odd. He placed the car right in the centre of the track, instead of to the left, which is the most optimal entry to the corner, and then proceeded to make frantic movements on the steering wheel from left to right, until the lock-up occurred, at which point, he calmly steered off-track to the left. Now, the worst thing you can do when heavily braking is to induce too much steering load, as that’s almost guaranteed to lock the brakes. Rosberg’s steering inputs didn’t appear to be symptomatic of countering oversteer of any kind (i.e. rear-locking), and none of the onboard or off-board shots seem to suggest this was the case. The car’s behaviour seems completely stable during the initial entry phase. I certainly can’t see any oversteer coming into play whatsoever.

I don’t think he set out to have his excursion, but I think as he came into that braking zone out of position, he realised he’d already, in all likelihood, thrown it away, and perhaps chose to make the best of his situation by deliberately inducing a lock-up and parking up in the run-off.

However, I don’t see any excuse for him reversing back on to the track when Q3 had already run its course, and had he parked right at the end of the run-off until everyone had gone by, maybe those yellow flags would have gone back in just before everyone else arrived on the scene. Either way, I do think a penalty is warranted here, as whether purposely or not, his maybe deliberate lock-up and excursion, his reversing back on track, or even both, impeded his fellow competitors, not least of which was his main competition for pole position.

• Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 24th May 2014, 17:31

@goodyear92 Agreed fully . The more I watch it , the more unpleasant it gets. Why Nico ? why ? I loved the respect between you two … sigh !!

• F1 fan said on 25th May 2014, 13:36

I agree with you about the dodgy weaving and strange racing line but the last bit about him reversing the car is irrelevant, even if he parked the car deep into the runoff area they would continue waving the yellow flags because there is a danger of someone making a genuine mistake and running into a car parked in the runoff. Id have penalized him because it seems like he deliberately weaves the car side to side causing the lockup…

6. Akin Aslan (@hamfanatic) said on 24th May 2014, 16:33

Please just watch this http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qDldIaFRXRws he did that on purpose, just look at the steering wheel, before braking he is steering to the right and when you then start braking it is very likely to lock up. Also the racing line to the corner is to cut from the outside to the inside, so whats the point of turning the wheel right left. He should get a penalty

7. lankesh said on 24th May 2014, 16:43

finally nico beats lewis and proves he is brainy

8. Sven (@crammond) said on 24th May 2014, 16:49

Hmmm… I doubt Rosberg did it on purpose. But if he did, it might have been a good idea. Things weren´t looking too well in the non-political area of the sport, so opening the political battlefield gives another chance to him. Not sure wether Rosberg will be able to capitalise on that playing field in the long-run, though.

9. I dont know why people think the mistake was genuine but the reversing was naughty.

The line he took coming upto that corner was the weirdest thing in the first place. While i was watchin it live i said to myself why has he placed his car down the centre of the road heading into a right hander??? Then he get some very uncharacteristic handling of the car and has a strange right/left lock up.

10. pH (@ph) said on 24th May 2014, 18:02

Comparing the pole lap and the “mistake” lap on youtube shows that NR took the same line on the straight before the turn up until the point when he made the sudden movements with his wheel. So the argument “he took a strange line” is actually not correct, after playing with the wheel the line must have been obviously different. The key question is why he did those movements. I wonder how much the stewards can learn about this precise moment from telemetry.

I changed my mind about the reversing business. If he did stay put, Ricciardo would have been under yellow as well. By reversing out, at least some drivers had a chance at a clean run. I think we should reverse our judgement until we learn more, for instance whether there has been some conversation between NR and his pit lane.