Ericsson handed pit lane start for Massa collision

2014 Monaco Grand Prix

Marcus Ericsson, Caterham, Monte-Carlo, 2014Marcus Ericsson has been ordered to start tomorrow’s race from the pit lane after colliding with Felipe Massa during qualifying.

The Caterham driver was judged to have “recklessly collided” with Massa at Mirabeau during Q1. Massa was attempting to let Ericsson pass at the time, and was unable to participate in Q2 after the incident.

In addition to requiring Ericsson to start the race from the pit lane, the stewards also handed the Caterham driver his first two penalty points of the season.

“On my final push lap I was behind Massa going into turn five and he moved offline a bit which meant I had to change my braking point,” Ericsson explained. “I locked up and went into the barrier with him which was my mistake.”

“It’s unfortunate it took him out too but it looks like the car is ok so now I want to put today behind me and concentrate on the race.”

The stewards also gave Daniil Kvyat a reprimand for impeding Pastor Maldonado during qualifying.

2014 Monaco Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Monaco Grand Prix articles

Image © Caterham/LAT

27 comments on Ericsson handed pit lane start for Massa collision

1. Daniel (@collettdumbletonhall) said on 24th May 2014, 16:22

Fair enough, he’s ruined Massa’s race.

2. Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 24th May 2014, 16:24

That was one of the funniest crashes I saw in a long time. I actually cracked up, it was quite unexpected.

• mateuss (@mateuss) said on 24th May 2014, 18:48

Frankly Massa was in his way in the worst place possible, in the braking zone, and it did not look a surprising crash to me at all.
      And Ericsson’s comment does match up to what I thought when I saw it, so I’am not in agreement with the stewards.

I wonder how this incident would be viewed if it was the other way around.

• OOliver said on 25th May 2014, 10:02

My thoughts exactly. Massa chose the wrong place to give room. There is a reason why drivers drift to the left before attempting a right turn there, it is very tight. Plus having to change direction before braking.
        Stupid stewards, not a very sensible Massa. A clear case racing accident

3. xjr15jaaag (@xjr15jaaag) said on 24th May 2014, 16:26

That could actually be a blessing for Ericsson if there’s a pile-up at turn 1

4. reiter (@reiter) said on 24th May 2014, 16:34

Massa hasn’t gotten a break the whole season has he? Something bad/strange/race-ending always happens to him that usually isn’t even his fault. Guy must have broken a lot of mirrors back in 2008.

5. Strontium (@strontium) said on 24th May 2014, 17:25

Shame that he gets the same amount of points for this that one gets for holding somebody up!

• Strontium (@strontium) said on 24th May 2014, 17:47

*than. I know I complain about this a lot but it just seems stupid. Holding up is annoying but it isn’t a deadly serious offense. I hope nobody gets any for that here in Monaco (unless it is for half a lap or something really extreme) – it’s really difficult not to.

6. George (@george) said on 24th May 2014, 18:35

A fair penalty I think, it was a bit careless from Ericsson but obviously not malicious. It’s understandable that Massa slowing there might have caught him off guard.

7. roland said on 24th May 2014, 18:51

1. Massa creates his own headaches he never should have left the door open.
    2. Penalties like this are utterly meaningless to this utterly meaningless backmarker.

8. Clive Allen (@clive-allen) said on 25th May 2014, 3:08

Interesting. Ericsson lost the car in pretty much the same way that Rosberg did a bit later. Both missed their braking point by a fraction and arrived at the corner with insufficient grip to make the turn. The only difference was that Ericsson couldn’t take to the run off as Massa was in the way…