Stewards investigating Rosberg’s Mirabeau mistake

2014 Monaco Grand Prix

Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, Monte-Carlo, 2014Nico Rosberg is being investigated by the stewards over his error at Mirabeau during his final qualifying lap for the Monaco Grand Prix.

Rosberg went into the escape road after appearing to lose control of his car at the corner.

That brought out yellow flags, forcing the drivers behind him to slow down. That included his team mate Lewis Hamilton whose previous time had been less than six hundredths of a second slower than Rosberg’s.

This article will be updated.

2014 Monaco Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Monaco Grand Prix articles

Image © Daimler/Hoch Zwei

93 comments on Stewards investigating Rosberg’s Mirabeau mistake

1 2 3
  1. ridiculous!

• trublu (@trublu) said on 24th May 2014, 14:38

Why is it ridiculous? The least they can do is check telemetry even if it’s to rule it out. The yellow flag affected not just HAM, but also RIC.

• Did they check Magnussen’s error there? All the others that drove through there? The article here doesn’t mention anything about the reversing. I agree the reversing is worth investigating. But to investigate the error itself is in my opinion ridiculous ;-)

• joetoml1n (@joetoml1n) said on 24th May 2014, 15:13

I disagree.. IF, and yes it is a big if, Rosberg did do it on purpose then he should be penalised. Magnussen’s error didn’t effect the pole position (and potentially the following positions) so I guess that’s why they’re not investigating that.. They are right to investigate the incident, if there is even a hint of suspicion, as a precaution as what if it was on purpose. At the very least, if he’s found innocent, it will put this to bed for good.. – just kidding, there’s those people, who just love a good conspiracy

• Patrick (@paeschli) said on 24th May 2014, 14:41

Yeah, they are investigating it because it is at least suspicious.

• The Abbinator (@abbinator) said on 24th May 2014, 14:51

The lock up was genuine, but the reverse is strictly incorrect. At the very least, he should have known better and waited until the session was over to re-join (worthy of Kvyat or Ericsson, but not a veteran like Nico). He may get away with it, but I don’t know what the rule book says about the appropriate penalty is. It has the potential to be unfair either way, so down to the individual stewards. My guess is a penalty…

• JCost (@jcost) said on 24th May 2014, 14:57

Actually they had no answer but investigate it. Ignoring it would only fuel more controversy. Let them decide and hope everybody is happy with their decision.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 25th May 2014, 6:12

I think after what Schumacher pulled of in ’06 its only natural that this gets investigated @gdewilde.

2. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 24th May 2014, 14:37

I think that’s reasonable. I think that while he most likely made a genuine mistake, if he was reversing back onto the track while there were drivers still on quick laps behind him, then he should get a telling off for that for sure.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 24th May 2014, 14:44

Certainly. If he’d put himself out of qualifying he had no reason to extend the yellow flag period. If he is penalised for doing so, I wonder if he would be given a warning or a grid penalty.

I highly doubt the error itself was intentional, but it can’t hurt to look.

• Funkyf1 (@funkyf1) said on 24th May 2014, 14:56

He’s team should of advised him in this situation. Especially if his teammate was behind him. Where’s Toto when you need him?

• JCost (@jcost) said on 24th May 2014, 15:01

Good point. But maybe his race engineer should have said something. Let’s wait for the radio transcript from @keithcollantine.

Personally I think his mistake was genuine but trying to rejoin when he had no chance for another flying lap and other drivers were there trying to improve… silly

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 24th May 2014, 15:21

Unless NR thought the yellow wasn’t even necessary since he was well off the track, but since the yellow was there, reversing was not going to change anything.

• Prateek727 (@prateek727) said on 24th May 2014, 15:38

It definitely appears that the consensus among users here is that it was a genuine mistake. I thought the same, until I heard Rosberg’s explanation of the error to Natalie. He said it was a simple matter of braking too late and locking up. He made no mention of any oversteer that would’ve caused him to take such a strange line into the corner to begin with.

Compare his line on the pole lap
      to the one he takes before going off

• dkpioe said on 24th May 2014, 16:03

it looks like oversteer because of the fact he braked to late, so he is trying to save the car from spinning.

• Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 24th May 2014, 17:03

I dint watch it on tv yet as I missed this quali . But my first impressions are that it looks as if
        a) Nico tried to induce lock up under steer and brake tensions
        b) That mercedes was invaded by aliens for a few seconds like in the mercedes ad .

I even feel it did not work the first time he twists his steering but ultimately he releases and tries it again and it works … dunno … anybody else feel the same ? I don’t want to sound too judgemental . I may be wrong also

• Mike Dee (@mike-dee) said on 24th May 2014, 15:39

I think it might be inbetween deliberate and error: He knew he could risk everything at that corner as by going off he would cause a yellow.

3. petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 24th May 2014, 14:37

They shouldn’t investigate his mistake – they should investigate his reversing back up the escape road whilst the session was still happening as he admitted in the press conference. I wondered why the yellows stayed out for so long – this picture of Hamilton’s onboard shows why. Rosberg could have driven to the end of the escape road and been out of the way but wasn’t.

• timi (@timi) said on 24th May 2014, 15:03

Yes, that would count as part of the Yellow flag period @petebaldwin, so I image the FIA will include that in their investigation as well

• BS (@bs) said on 24th May 2014, 15:10

Agree, but I think they just investigate the whole thing as ‘the incident’. The error seemed 100% genuine (weird to cite that as a positive) and Rosberg seems like a stand up guy, I have no doubt the stewards will conclude the same. Whether or not reversing was intentional is going to be hard to prove, it certainly was clumsy and warrants some explaining at least.

I’ve realized this season I’m supporting Hamilton for the championship, but I’d like a close and fair fight to the end. I think there’s a small but fair chance the stewards penalize Rosberg for this, but it would be a shame if Hamilton gets the upper hand this way.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 24th May 2014, 15:29

I just don’t see NR doing this on purpose AND being so happy about it with his celebrations. His body language coming out of the car tells me he is confident that all he is guilty of is going for it just as we expected would happen…has been happening…and will happen again. This is what can happen at Monaco.

I certainly will be very surprised and disappointed in NR if this was deliberate, and given that, I think it says something about NR’s integrity that there is no reason other than MS in 06 doing what he did, to suspect NR of this. He simply has no history of wanting to win this way. Sure there’s a first for everything, but it’s not like this was NR’s last chance to answer to LH or lose the WDC. The likely worst outcome for NR would have been another second to LH with tons and tons of points yet to play for.

• petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 24th May 2014, 15:31

@bs I agree. I think the race will be amazing if Rosberg and Hamilton start on the front row of the grid. It would be a real shame to see Rosberg lose a few positions and Hamilton simply drive around on his own in the lead.

• PetiteLoup said on 24th May 2014, 17:37

@petebaldwin How would LH get any “upper hand” if he lost out on pole (he was going faster than NR) because of the “incident”?
        Numerous times we see drivers make honest mistakes and get penalties for affecting other drivers. Why should a race to the pole be any different? NR should get a penalty for impeding. Do you think it fair that Marcus Ericsson will get 2 points on his Super License, and start from Pit Lane, for messing up Massa’s qualifying, but NR gets nothing?

4. Robert (@rob8k) said on 24th May 2014, 14:37

Before people start jumping to conclusions, I think this is more to do with investigating the reverse back onto the track and not the error itself. As I don’t think Rosberg was supposed to reverse unless it was safe which presuming people were on hot laps, it wasn’t. Although Im not up to date on the rules in reversing in quali

5. Joaquin (@fat-tyre) said on 24th May 2014, 14:38

Must be for what he said about “reversing”, it didn’t look like he tried to pull a Schuey.

6. zippyone (@zippyone) said on 24th May 2014, 14:39

Obviously he did reverse, so what will the penalty be, if any?

7. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 24th May 2014, 14:39

I think there’s no question the lock up going into the turn was 100% genuine. He was only 0.05 quicker than Lewis so he wasn’t exactly sitting pretty. Had to improve to avoid a repeat of Spain, and pushed too hard.

I hadn’t noticed he backed up afterwards though.

8. Andrei (@crandreico) said on 24th May 2014, 14:40

I think they should investigate his reversing back onto the track, not his mistake.

9. Mach1 (@mach1) said on 24th May 2014, 14:41

The weirdest thing, is that just before Rosberg made his mistake, I was thinking..( I don’t know why I thought it…but I did….the situation just seemed very similar)… “this would be a perfect time to do a Schumacher” followed by “nahh, Rosberg would never do such a thing”.

It is odd, but you could sense the pressure Rosberg was under to get this one, maybe that is why the thought occurred to me.

Then Rosberg made his mistake, however with him going so far down the escape road I did not think they would bring out the yellows. Did he back out on to the track? The camera cut away at that point…

I am not saying he did it on purpose at all, I just found it so odd I had that thought just before it happened!

10. safeeuropeanhome (@debaser91) said on 24th May 2014, 14:42

I think the error itself was genuine but the reversing backwards was a bit naughty. Why didn’t he did just wait a minute or two until it was safe to come back on track? Ruined not only Hamilton’s lap but everyone else’s as well, and put himself in a potentially dangerous situation. To be honest it does seem like a bit of a cynical move from Nico, but lets wait and see what the stewards have to say.

11. Chad (@chaddy) said on 24th May 2014, 14:42

I don’t think it was a Schumacher, but that smug grin on his face, and his only getting pole because he screwed over Hamilton while embarrassing himself in an alley tells me he just doesn’t get it. Just like qualifying in the wet doesn’t count to him. He doesn’t have what it takes, and that’s why he doesn’t know he shouldn’t be happy about that performance.

• Because by comparing the first run in Q3 he was the fastest, all the rest is just speculating about things that unfortunately didn’t happen because of the yellow flag

• Chad (@chaddy) said on 24th May 2014, 15:02

Hamilton’s times sure look good enough to nip pole.

I just think regardless or whether he would have won pole anyway, the gentleman racer doesn’t take satisfaction after crashing and spoiling everyone else’s runs. He can be privately pleased with his result, and a good lap earlier in the session, but he doesn’t show elation– it made him look like a complete D

• chris (@9chris9) said on 24th May 2014, 15:23

he knew it was his & thus everyone’s last lap, and that where he was would likely bring out the yellows. he also knew lewis wasn’t far behind him.
          I’d be interested to know who lodged the complaint with the stewards.

• Stefanauss (@stefanauss) said on 24th May 2014, 16:34

So, assuming my mistake is genuine.
          If I make a mistake in my first run, spoil everyone else’s first run in the process, and then I go on to take pole, It’s fine to celebrate.
          But if I do THE EXACT SAME THING on a final run, I’m not a gentleman racer and I shouldn’t celebrate.
          And that’s even though the only difference is the number of the run and even though everyone still had the chance to beat me on the clean one, and failed.
          I don’t buy that. Either we decide every driver causing a yellow flag (which it’s higly unlikely it won’t affect at least one driver) at some point doesn’t get to celebrate, EVER, or just shut up.

12. Kodongo (@kodongo) said on 24th May 2014, 14:42

Making a mistake on the hottest lap of the weekend is plausible and logical.

Reversing back onto a street circuit during a live session doesn’t make sense. What was he trying to acheive? At that point in the session, he had nothing to gain by rejoining the circuit. He wouldn’t’ve had time to do another lap so what was he playing at?

13. AlokIn (@) said on 24th May 2014, 14:42

what will be penalty if found guilty ? disqualification from qualifying ?

• Kodongo (@kodongo) said on 24th May 2014, 14:44

Probably 5 place grid drop. Perhaps disqualification from Q3 or even disqualification from qualifying altogether like they did to Schumacher in 2006.

• petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 24th May 2014, 15:33

It wasn’t really a Shumi though was it? The reversing was dodgy but it followed a genuine mistake. I don’t know what the rules on reversing are…..?

Shumi just stopped on the track right at the end to ensure no-one could get a quick lap in. It was pre-meditated cheating at it’s worst.

14. Robert (@gicu) said on 24th May 2014, 14:44

Love the picture choice. He looks sneaky in that one.

15. geekracer2000 (@geekracer2000) said on 24th May 2014, 14:44

If he had driven to the end of escape road the yellow flags would still be on though.

• petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 24th May 2014, 15:36

@geekracer2000 – For me, that is 100% what should decide if a penalty is warranted or not. If him being at the end of the escape road would have kept the yellows out, then there should be no penalty because I don’t think the initial mistake was at all deliberate.

This isn’t a Hamilton vs Rosberg thing though – Rosberg’s mistake affected most of the top 10 so I’m sure there will be plenty of people pushing for a penalty if it turns out him staying at the end of the escape road would have allowed the yellow to be brought back in.

• Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 25th May 2014, 12:44

People keep parroting that one, but why would that be so?

1 2 3