Stewards investigating Rosberg’s Mirabeau mistake

2014 Monaco Grand Prix

Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, Monte-Carlo, 2014Nico Rosberg is being investigated by the stewards over his error at Mirabeau during his final qualifying lap for the Monaco Grand Prix.

Rosberg went into the escape road after appearing to lose control of his car at the corner.

That brought out yellow flags, forcing the drivers behind him to slow down. That included his team mate Lewis Hamilton whose previous time had been less than six hundredths of a second slower than Rosberg’s.

This article will be updated.

2014 Monaco Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Monaco Grand Prix articles

Image © Daimler/Hoch Zwei

93 comments on Stewards investigating Rosberg’s Mirabeau mistake

1. Funkyf1 (@funkyf1) said on 24th May 2014, 14:47

Let’s just say Nico’s choice of backing up was just bettered by Hamilton lack of professionalism. That kind of behaviour despite the circumstances does not match Lewis’s comments of late. How will Niki handle this one?

• Kobe Leigh said on 24th May 2014, 14:53

How do you juxtapose those two….one had a direct impact on the outcome and the other was just personal preference and after the fact….I would have been ballistic if that had happened…I thought with the stakes as high as they were he handled himself in a measured way, meaning he let his disdain and suspicions be known while not saying anything overtly unprofessional.

• Funkyf1 (@funkyf1) said on 24th May 2014, 15:01

I could be wrong, but I believe by your comments you believe Nico did this on purpose. I can understand Hamiltons frustrations and disbelief, but that’s what separates the good, the bad and the ugly. That was ugly.

• David BR2 said on 24th May 2014, 16:06

What, because he was annoyed in the heat of the moment and had a strong suspicion Rosberg did it on purpose, the mistake and the reverse into the track? You can’t just screw up everyone else’s shot at pole and then celebrate in front of them like that, and then expect everyone to be happy, come on.

• usukpam said on 24th May 2014, 15:10

What do u know about being professional in motor racing business, especialy when your team mate just cheated you out of your chances of standing on pole position. If the mistake was so honest what was he (Nico) trying to achieve by going on reverse gear to put his car back to the racing track.

• Funkyf1 (@funkyf1) said on 24th May 2014, 15:23

I am not disputing what happened on track, that is for the stewards and the team to discuss. I just that Lewis could of and would of handle it better considering the banter of late.

2. Jules Winfield (@jules-winfield) said on 24th May 2014, 14:49

Rosberg doesn’t seem like the type of driver to pull dirty stunts like that (unlike another German driver I could mention). There was some tough/borderline driving in a race last year (against Alonso?) but he doesn’t really have a history of doing this sort of thing.

Meanwhile, Sky F1 (mainly the oaf Croft, Mark Blundell Version 2 (Herbert) and the halfwit Lazenby) were hyping it up like it was the Kennedy assassination.

3. vishy (@vishy) said on 24th May 2014, 14:49

If you watch the onboard footage of Rosberg, he started to turn his steering wheel left and right before even the lockup. Something does not look right here. Hopefully it is not a Schumi because Rosberg has come across as a great guy so far.

• Patrick (@paeschli) said on 24th May 2014, 14:54

It is really really suspicious …

But maybe it’s better he doesn’t get a penality. It will be a pretty boring race if Lewis is alone on the front row tomorrow.

• Todd (@braketurnaccelerate) said on 24th May 2014, 15:04

@paeschli – Think about a Merc that has a >1 sec advantage, charging up through the field on Sunday trying to make up spots all the way from 22nd place. That’d be interesting I think.

• Patrick (@paeschli) said on 24th May 2014, 15:09

Maybe, I think a battle for the lead is more interesting and better for the championship.

We haven’t seen a battle between the two Mercs drivers where Hamilton was chasing Rosberg so I think that would be interesting.

• Dave (@raceprouk) said on 24th May 2014, 15:08

With the torque of the engine and the bumpy street surface, it’s plausible the car was unsettled over a bump which then triggered the mistake under braking.

4. Ricardo Ferreira (@yes-master) said on 24th May 2014, 14:50

Wow! I have to say that it passed my thoughts that the “error” in the last 25 seconds was too perfect for Nico, and a huge anti-climax for us fans, but even so I can’t believe that it was a conscientious error. No way.

5. WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 24th May 2014, 14:52

I’m not one for conspiracy theory, but a) it conveniently happened on one the few places on the track where Nico could have caused a yellow without damaging his car, and b) the steering erraticism under braking appears to me to be an attempt to induce a lock-up. For me a likely scenario is that Nico thought that there was not much more lap time on offer from his car, and ensured it wasn’t beaten; I am quite sure whether it was deliberate. The language of the car speaks volumes, and I am sure the telemetry would testify that Nico braked unduly late on that lap relative to his provisional pole lap. That said, Nico is a clever guy, and would have known that the telemetry would uncover any deviance, but equally, the extent to which he braked later appears greater than merely brain fade. The stewards can’t ignore the convenience of the chain of events for Rosberg, but equally, Hamilton can take solace in the fact that Nico appears to have needed to drift below the line of acceptability to beat him.

6. HiPn0tIc (@hipn0tic) said on 24th May 2014, 14:54

I thinks that’s reasonable, honnestly, knowing how FIA works, it would be no surprise Nico beeing penalised, for me it was a honest mistake, but under the pressure of Hamilton, and external facts, Nico will probably be penalised…

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 24th May 2014, 15:05

Hmmm…if you go by ‘knowing how the FIA works’ I would have thought they would clear NR so that he keeps pole, as well as his chances to win the race, and keep the see-saw battle going longer into the season rather than risking yet another LH win and a runaway season for one driver in a dominant car.

7. Erik Kennedy (@erikkennedy) said on 24th May 2014, 14:56

It wouldn’t be the first time this year that Hamilton has pressured Rosberg into making a mistake. Rosberg spun in Q3 in China, for example. He could easily have just blown it again.

As for the reversing, well, I’ll be interested to see what the stewards have to say about that. I think even that was more likely muddle-headed than cynical.

8. PhilEReid (@philereid) said on 24th May 2014, 14:56

I don’t think Rosberg’s actions at any point were done deliberately to hamper anyone. However, the reversing itself, whilst not to hamper, may well have hampered, and that would make it just like any other penalty, intentional or not. It’s the same with backing up and holding up drivers.

9. Martin (@aardvark) said on 24th May 2014, 14:58

“Sorry Lewis, i was so hungry I wasn’t thinking straight.”

10. Osvaldas31 (@osvaldas31) said on 24th May 2014, 14:59

I don’t think it was deliberate. By doing that Rosberg was not guarranteed of yellow flags. If I was doing it deliberately, I’d have clipped my front wing a bit into that barrier.

And I don’t think stewards can read something from telemetry. You can fake it very nicely – who can distinguish if you braked a bit later due to error or deliberately? So I expect stewards taking no further action.

11. tmekt (@tmekt) said on 24th May 2014, 15:00

I don’t see how him reversing makes any difference, it was still a yellow flag no matter what and that’s what ruined Hamilton’s and Ricciardo’s laps.

It looked to me that he did indeed park it intentionally. That wavering he did with the steering wheel doesn’t look realistic at all and the driving line was well off to start with. And probably if the stewards agree, for a violation of that magnitude, it will be an exclusion from the quali.

12. Robbie (@robbie) said on 24th May 2014, 15:01

Since some question NR’s backing up as meaning a deliberate attempt to extend the yellow, are you sure that would have done it, or is it the case that just by virtue of being in that run-off spot the yellow was on. Would it be reality to expect for example the marshals to signal NR to stay where he was so they could remove the yellow quicker for the coming cars? Ie. if being further up the run-off area made a difference, why did they throw the yellow at all then since he was initially quite far off the track.

I think NR made an honest mistake and was celebrating as he was because to him it was not his fault that they threw the yellow, when he was actually quite out of the way.

13. Nickpkr251 said on 24th May 2014, 15:01

That’s it !
    Now HAM will go nuts now, the rich boy robbed him a WDC, when according to HAM himself he deserves it more for being new rich and poor hungry.
    Talking about psychological games ROS apparently is no novice,
    but again to me seems to good to be truth all this Senna-Prost marketing of a parody to cover of once again uncompetitive f1 racing.
    Good laugh anyway, entertaining.

14. Clive Allen (@clive-allen) said on 24th May 2014, 15:09

It remains to be seen what the stewards make of it in their wisdom. In the meantime, I think Nico’s biggest tactical error was in not apologising to Lewis as soon as he got out of the car. Even if it was all genuine mistake, common decency demands that Nico recognise that his team mate’s chance at pole was ruined by his error. Oh wait, I was forgetting: decency isn’t common anymore, is it?

15. MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 24th May 2014, 15:13

Let’s face it, while we can all sit here and be experts in the armchair Grand Prix, I don’t think anyone commenting has driven a race car, let alone an F1 car. So we’re none of us qualified to analyse the subtleties of what a GP driver is doing behind the wheel.

Yes, sawing at the wheel isn’t, according to conventional wisdom, a normal thing to do. But who knows. Maybe he was trying to introduce some lateral motion to help slow down the car. Maybe he was trying to induce oversteer to get the car turned in. Maybe he was trying to feel out the grip at the front end to decide whether or not he was able to make the corner before backing out and taking the escape road. Maybe he was reacting to some subtle feedback which you’d only understand if you had your hands on the steering wheel at racing speeds. Or maybe he really was trying to induce a mistake to deliberately hold up those behind him. We simply can’t say conclusively because we aren’t F1 drivers. Even Derek Warwick will have no real idea what it’s like to drive these cars, though he’s undeniably better qualified than any of us to pass judgement. And of course he can absolutely be relied upon to judge the situation fairly.

Regardless, what an intense and exciting season this is shaping up to be.