Bianchi hails team after ‘amazing’ result

2014 Monaco Grand Prix

Jules Bianchi, Marussia, Monte-Carlo, 2014Jules Bianchi has spoken of his pride in the Marussia team after his ninth place classification secured the team their first ever world championship points.

Despite a gearbox penalty prior to the race, a five-second penalty for starting in the wrong grid slot and then a further five-second time penalty at the end of the race for taking his initial penalty under the Safety Car, Bianchi held his nerve to secure two vital points for Marussia.

“The team are really happy, as I am,” said Bianchi. “We’ve been waiting for this for a long time.

“I’m proud of the team. They did a really good job and I’m really happy to give them a result.”

Helped by a high rate of attrition at the front, Marussia’s first points looked to be in doubt with the stewards awarding Bianchi a five-second penalty on to his finishing time. But after Raikkonen and Magnussen collided at the Hairpin in the closing laps, a points finish was assured.

“It was really stressful for me in the car – I guess it was for the team as well!,” said Bianchi. “We had some penalties, so we were lucky to finish in the points. But I cannot say any more. It’s amazing for us.”

Bianchi’s two points puts Marussia into ninth in the Constructors’ Championship – their highest ever position.

47 comments on Bianchi hails team after ‘amazing’ result

1. Sharon H (@sharoncom) said on 25th May 2014, 19:24

I still want to know how he built a gap to Grosjean.

2. Breno (@austus) said on 25th May 2014, 19:40

I dont understand the second penalty? Why did the FIA feel the need to penalise him for sitting idle for 5 seconds in the pits?

3. craig-o (@craig-o) said on 25th May 2014, 20:43

It’s the first time this season where he’s really driven well, and my word did he drive well. He had been last in the standing until this race, now he’s ahead of both Sauber drivers and Maldonado.

4. aka_robyn said on 25th May 2014, 22:20

I challenge anyone to not have their mood improved by looking at this team photo full of very happy people:

5. MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 25th May 2014, 22:28

Was great to see Toto Wolff come down and congratulate Graeme Lowdon. I’m really chuffed for them, great little team and finally achieving the progress they’ve worked so hard to achieve.

6. Jay Menon (@jaymenon10) said on 26th May 2014, 0:58

Finally!! Marussia scores points…I was following Bianchi’s progress more than what was going on up front.

So I guess, if Caterham dont score point this year…its curtains?

7. runforitscooby (@runforitscooby) said on 26th May 2014, 2:44

I’m so over the Ham/Rosberg politics and drama, the Murussia result is the best story of the year so far!

8. Mr_Peabody said on 26th May 2014, 9:22

Bianchi finally had the stage set for him to show what he’s made of. And he took care of business. That will bode well for his career.

And Marussia has become a much more solid team over the years. I think that the stint of Pat Symonds there helped them quite a bit in terms of both finesse and culture. That will linger for a while and today’s result will give them a psychological boost and help the lessons stick.

9. maxthecat said on 26th May 2014, 11:51

Let’s not go too mad. He finished where he always does, best of the slow teams. Lots of retirements and Mag/Rai crash bumped him up. Well done and all, but lets not pretend it was anything more than luck and circumstance that gave him this position.