Hamilton vows to emulate Senna in Rosberg rivalry

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, Monte-Carlo, 2014In the round-up: Lewis Hamilton says he considers approaching his rivalry with team mate Nico Rosberg in a similar fashion to how Ayrton Senna dealt with his famously heated rivalry with Alain Prost.

Indianapolis 500 on F1 Fanatic Live

In addition to the Monaco Grand Prix and Formula Renault 3.5 races, F1 Fanatic Live will be running throughout today’s Indianapolis 500.

UK television viewers can watch the race live on BT Sport 2: coverage starts at 3:30pm and the race begins at 5pm.

Keith will be covering the race as part of BT Sport’s in-studio team alongside Katherine Legge, Johnny Mowlem, James Walker, Ben Evans and Abi Griffiths. Send in your questions during the show via Twitter using #btsmotorsport.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Lewis Hamilton to deal with Rosberg spat like Senna (Autosport)

Hamilton: “I don’t know if Senna and Prost talked about it but I quite liked the way Senna dealt with that so I’ll take a page out of his book.”

Nico Rosberg Q&A: Incident not a repeat of Schumacher 2006 (Formula1.com)

Rosberg: “That I do understand these kind of theories; Monaco is the perfect backdrop for these kind of things. But I have to disappoint: the data is clear, as the stewards have also confirmed.”

If Nico wins in Monaco tomorrow, the scales may tip back in his favour (NBC Sports)

“Hamilton might have had the momentum coming into the race weekend, but if Nico can indeed win tomorrow, the scales will tip back in his favour. Not only will he regain the lead of the drivers’ championship, but he would also have beaten Hamilton in spite of his mind games.”

ERS issue slows Vettel (ESPNF1)

Vettel: “Basically, I lost the ability to discharge at the maximum rate and initially halfway down the straight I was just relying on the ICE [Internal Combustion Engine], but it was a bit hit and miss to be honest, sometimes it was working, sometimes it wasn’t working on the same straight.”

Alonso celebrates “best lap of year” (Racer)

Alonso: “The two laps were good; I was really happy with the laps and the balance of the car. We were only one or two tenths away from [Sebastian] Vettel, which is a good surprise.”

Adrian Newey’s future still the subject of speculation despite Red Bull statement (SkyF1)

Christian Horner: “The details of any contract with any employee are private between the employee and the team and not something to be discussed with media. What I can tell you is that he has pledged his future with Red Bull for the foreseeable future.”

Behind the scenes at a controversy (ESPN F1)

“There’s nothing quite like the smell of a story brewing, with all and sundry scampering around the paddock trying to track down information, or making whispered phone calls to contacts in race control, hoping to get a jump on the competition.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

Following the controversy in qualifying after Rosberg’s off on his final lap helped to cement his pole position, Max Jacobson is satisfied that the stewards decided to investigate the matter.

I’m glad the FIA conducted a thorough investigation on this one: had they not bothered to do so, I could imagine the media would have completely overblown the whole situation and Hamilton’s discontent may have been aggravated, with some fairly nasty consequences for their relationship within the team.

And I do believe their conclusion was the correct one. Had they found him even partially guilty, surely their only option would be disqualification (unless they had ruled it as simple impeding), which would be a ludicrously harsh punishment for what barely compares in malevolence to the infamous Schumacher incident of 2006, which was quite clearly deliberate.
Max Jacobson

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Sumedh and Joe Papp!

On this day in F1

Niki Lauda took pole position for the Monaco Grand Prix 40 years ago today. Ferrari team mate Clay Regazzoni join him on the front row of the grid.

92 comments on Hamilton vows to emulate Senna in Rosberg rivalry

1 2 3
  1. djdaveyp85 (@djdaveyp87) said on 25th May 2014, 0:44

COTD is spot on.

2. Michael C said on 25th May 2014, 0:46

I hope he emulates Senna’s overtaking moves, not first corner incidents!

• Toxic (@toxic) said on 25th May 2014, 1:50

I really don’t get all HAM’s comments about him emulating Senna. He very often tried to compare himself to the legend and honestly I think that he’s not even close and never would be. To be honest for me Alonso or Vettel are much closer to him. He even slept over for FP1… a feat that would never be seen from Senna. Ayrton was a king of Monaco and there are many other drivers that were racing against Hamilton on this circuit that were much more impressive than him around these streets.

• Karthik Mohan said on 25th May 2014, 3:05

Have you never had an idol you look up to? Have you never looked at someone and thought “That’s how I want to be!”? Lewis Hamilton is an F1 driver, and I am a nobody, but even I get inspired by Senna in many walks of life. To me, he is a moral boost. At any point of my life, if I am in trouble I think of Senna and it somehow gives me more strength to go on. Of course, it isn’t a quantifiable thing, and I may be merely getting strong mentally, but is it such a crime to actually say things like I want to try to be more like my idol? Have you never thought “I want to be more like my dad and mom” or anything along those lines?

Lewis did not say he was exactly like Senna, nor did he say he was as great as Senna. Lewis is a bigger Senna fan than any of us, and I think he will know more about respecting the great man than we do. It is actually more annoying to read comments like yours where Lewis’ words are taken totally out of context and given new meanings that don’t even exist, just like the “I am hungrier than Nico” thing. Lewis never said anything about him being hungrier than Nico.

All Lewis ever says is that he is inspired by Senna, and what exactly is wrong in that? Senna had a way of dealing with moments, and Lewis merely said he would try to act more like him. Everyone tries to be more like their idol, and is that news to you?

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 25th May 2014, 3:15

I think that is a very fair comment, but I also think it is fair to ponder what LH means considering that in the tensest moments Senna had contact with his teammate. Look at your last sentence. “Everyone tries to be more like their idol…”

But I’m sure LH, as intimate as he is in his admiration for Senna, knows how those incidents ended up, and it wasn’t pretty.

• Gilles De Wilde (@gdewilde) said on 25th May 2014, 9:16

Lewis is a bigger Senna fan than any of us

• shadow (@shadow) said on 25th May 2014, 10:02

“Just because he’s a racing driver and there are some resemblances between him an Senna, it doesn’t make him a bigger Senna fan than any of us…”

Your comment doesn’t make any sense??

• Andrew said on 25th May 2014, 16:36

Your comment has made my day…mainly by the fact that I can’t stop laughing.

• James Dunning said on 6th June 2014, 11:02

You can have an idol like Senna but actually comparing yourself to someone like Senna is just plain arrogant

• Guccio (@concalvez00) said on 25th May 2014, 11:48

@toxic, Alonso and Vettel closer to Senna then Hamilton ?, you mean Alonso who needs No1 status and team mates to receive penalties so he can win ?. And Vettel ?, just name one epic battle Vettel has won, just one mate. The closest driver to Senna is Hamilton, try to live with it.

• lucho19 (@lucho19) said on 25th May 2014, 9:35

Hold your horses HAM:….. NICO is NOT Alain Prost (that had already 2 championships (’85 and ’86) when Senna joined McLaren in ’88).
      If he was on the same team with VET then maybe….

• Pennyroyal tea (@peartree) said on 25th May 2014, 9:36

Also, I hope he doesn’t become a drama queen, which may already be the case. He had the nerve of saying that Rosberg is more privileged than himself, the one that had no need to seek sponsorship ever since age 13, potentially the most marketable face in motorsport. Just go for poles and race wins.

3. hunocsi (@hunocsi) said on 25th May 2014, 0:50

What does Hamilton imply here, will he crash into Rosberg in turn 1?

• djdaveyp85 (@djdaveyp87) said on 25th May 2014, 0:52

Senna responded to Prosts tactics by defeating him on the race track. Incidents between them were actually few and far between, just big and hyped!

• babis1980 (@babis1980) said on 25th May 2014, 9:27

I am a Prost fan and no, Prost won both ’88 and ’89 inter team rivalry. Senna became ’88 champion because of the stupid 10 best finish rule which was the ‘double points’ of that era. Who needs that rule ? MP4/4 was bulletproof!

On Hamilton, I am bored with his comments about Senna, about his GF, about GOD, about backgrounds etc. But I guess is better than the 2011 monaco comments, so…. this Hamilton is as good as it gets. But, boy he is fast…..

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 25th May 2014, 0:59

That didn’t happen when they were team mates.

• Dan said on 25th May 2014, 1:38

@matt90 Yes they were because Prost was annoyed his own team was appealing for senna.

• Dan said on 25th May 2014, 1:39

@matt90 sorry im wrong i got mixed up was the incident as teammates after 130’r ?

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 25th May 2014, 12:07

‘Turn 1′ as in the comment I replied to refers to ’90 when Prost was with Ferrari and Senna was on pole for McLaren but annoyed at pole being on the wrong side of the grid.

• jack said on 25th May 2014, 8:45

I Hope he uses Senna racing philosophy “we are racing to win, not to come 3th, 4th, 5th or six”. and not what happen in Susuka 90. What worries me though is that this happened after he was screwed in qualifying.

4. Theo Parkinson (@theo-hrp) said on 25th May 2014, 0:52

With the Senna comment, I think Hamilton is just saying he wants his driving to do the talking. I know this maybe be obvious but here come the comments in 5,4,3,2…

5. dragoll (@dragoll) said on 25th May 2014, 0:58

The context is missing out of that comment from HAM. So, I’ll give him benefit of the doubt and suggest he was just annoyed with not being on pole, at a race where pole is critical.
    Although HAM should be careful with his words, because if there is any contact during the race, not suggesting that he is going to do it deliberately, he’ll now have a barrage of questions to answer about “is that what you meant by being more like Senna?”.

6. D (@f190) said on 25th May 2014, 1:01

Lets be honest, anyone who seriously thinks Hamilton is looking to take Rosberg out is seriously deluded. There are many ways he can emulate Senna without relating to a first corner or any incident. Senna was a great driver, who went out with the intention of not only winning, but winning my as much as possible, lets not forget that.

• nidzovski said on 25th May 2014, 5:01

Yeah, but I guess that conspiracy and twisting the facts are easier to swallow.

7. Robbie (@robbie) said on 25th May 2014, 1:03

I don’t know what LH means, but he is no Senna…nobody is…so depending on what he means or will do, I will reserve judgement on LH for now.

8. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 25th May 2014, 1:05

Ans as I posted before, safety is now so important because of Imola 94,so crashing another driver deliberately as Senna did would be a serious case to get DSQd for the whole season. I hope Hamilton refers to Senna’s skills, and not to his most infamous action.

9. In_Silico (@insilico) said on 25th May 2014, 1:07

For me personally, I’m dissapointed with both Mercedes drivers after today. Rosberg for making that mistake on purpose (just my opinion!) and his post qualifying celebrations. Hamilton for his demeanour and comments after qualifying. Both I felt were unsporting and uncalled for. But in a way, I’m not surpised that things are getting a bit tense between both drivers. Mainly because of the constant unneccesary hype the media have managed to dish out, implying that we’ll see another Webber/Vettel or Prost/Senna. So many headlines I’ve seen and questions given to both drivers has had the hallmarks of wanting to drive a wedge between both drivers. It’s gotten tiresome now..

• Gilles De Wilde (@gdewilde) said on 25th May 2014, 9:21

It’s gotten tiresome now

That’s your opinion and I don’t share it. All this controversy and media-hyped drama is something that defines a great rivalry in F1 and spices up the entire season. I hope it continues all the way until Abu Dhabi. By that time people might call 2014 a ‘classic F1-season’ with drama, intrigue, controversy and, of course, proper racing!

10. schooner (@schooner) said on 25th May 2014, 1:21

An unfortunate occurrence for Hamilton for sure, but I would hope that he’s smart enough not to respond by doing something daft. He’ll be much better served by driving a clean race tomorrow, and could well wind up on the top step anyway. If he doesn’t, a podium and a good haul of points is still very likely, and there are plenty of races left to determine who’s the boss.

11. petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 25th May 2014, 1:25

What is it with everyone trying to make a big deal about everything saying things like “After what happened in qualifying, there is no doubt that the Monaco GP result is going to be critical. Perhaps defining race of year”?

Why will it be the defining race of the year? Because one will score a few more points than the other? This battle will carry on all year!

• D (@f190) said on 25th May 2014, 1:28

Exactly a few points more when theres 50 at the final race… I think thats the defining race of the year

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 25th May 2014, 2:45

Sure, in terms of points, but I’ll assume those who call this defining are thinking of NR’s psyche. And LH’s momentum. Some think if LH wins this and many tip him for Canada it will be game over for NR. If NR wins this weekend the see-saw battle continues.

But I tend to agree more with the points aspect rather than the psyche angle. These drivers are going to push each other hard….exactly what F1 needs, and each race may color the next for each driver so it is not a static thing….but it is electric.

12. schooner (@schooner) said on 25th May 2014, 1:44

Alonso’s twitter pic explains why he was too busy to grant the Bieber an audience. lol

13. Dan said on 25th May 2014, 1:50

NataliePinkham is the worst stirrer(hope i have spelt that right), she was goading LH. I no it is their jobs but Lee Mckenzie who i listend to on the BBCC highlights was much more fair.

The Hamilton fan in me wanted Ros to get dropped but i just dont think it is fair on the incident he was underinvestigation for, the reversing on the other hand… It should not be allowed tor everse from a slip road when session is running. It is dangerous different on a circuit but in a street track no way. Glad it stayed same though i think Ham can get to 1st at start.

14. Nick (@npf1) said on 25th May 2014, 1:51

Wouldn’t it be fun if someone took a page from Senna’s book on teammates, but rather from the Gerhard Berger chapter?

Wouldn’t someone like Gerhard Berger be fun in F1 in general?

• Bullfrog (@bullfrog) said on 25th May 2014, 9:36

Yep. The Senna fan-boy should learn to laugh at himself a bit – at the moment he reminds me more of Mansell.

• Sven (@crammond) said on 25th May 2014, 11:14

Wouldn’t someone like Gerhard Berger be fun in F1 in general?

Yes, absolutely. He is a real fun guy. Berger/Alesi was my favourite driver-pairing ever, not the fastest/best, but the one I liked most.

15. Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 25th May 2014, 1:58

I don’t think that Lewis Hamilton is irresponsible to the point that he will risk someone’s life even if he considers him as the ultimate devil. I think he’s just clashing Roseberg after wharhe did in qualifying.

but if Nico can indeed win tomorrow, the scales will tip back in his favor. Not only will he regain the lead of the drivers’ championship, but he would also have beaten Hamilton in spite of his mind games

I don’t know if the man who wrote this crap was watching the GP’s since the start of the season, on what momentum he is talking about, Hamilton trashed Roseberg so far,the only time he finished behind him was due to a car failure. I don’t think that Roseberg has the win in his bag, i mean if he is going to win tomorrow he has to work for it, there are so many variables in Monaco like the safety car, even the rain could remix all the cards

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 25th May 2014, 3:05

If you read NR’s quotes above from the Formula1.com interview, he knows the whole picture, and he knows how crucial a good start will be and he has had a few less than stellar ones, so much is going to hinge on how NR gets away. That’s going to be huge for him…so also huge pressure to nail it.

I think an LH that comes across as he has in the last few days with his remarks, as well as some of his remarks after qualifying, would hit NR if NR bobbles the start and they end up side by side. But an LH that should be professional and calm and cool and focused will not.

Also, I don’t see where the author of this quote claims momentum will switch to NR….just the scales tipping as in points wise. I think most would say that a win at Monaco where pole is more key than all other venues would have to be backed up by another win soon, for NR to stall LH’s momentum…but an LH win? Big momentum for him going forward.

• KaIIe (@kaiie) said on 25th May 2014, 8:26

I think it is the usual thing of “you are as good as your last race” – or in this case, as good as your last session.

1 2 3