Rosberg takes win and championship lead in Monaco

2014 Monaco Grand Prix summary

Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, Monte-Carlo, 2014Nico Rosberg secured his second consecutive Monaco Grand Prix victory and retook the lead of the Drivers’ Championship after leading every lap around Monte Carlo ahead of his team mate Lewis Hamilton.

In a dramatic and incident filled race, Hamilton only just held off Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo after suffering from apparent vision issues in the closing stages. But the most remarkable result was Jules Bianchi finishing ninth to secure the first ever world championship points for Marussia.

At the start, Rosberg successfully reached Sainte Devote ahead of team mate Hamilton as a great start by Kimi Raikkonen saw him jump into fourth while Daniel Ricciardo fell to fifth. Contact between Sergio Perez and Jenson Button at Mirabeau left the Force India stranded and saw the Safety Car deployed before the end of the first lap.

When the race resumed at the start of Lap Four, Sebastian Vettel was passed by Raikkonen for third before slowing with an apparent gearbox problem that left him cruising back to the pits. The reigning champion resumed in last a lap down, but immediately complained of being stuck in first gear. He was later told to retire the car.

As expected, the Mercedes immediately began to pull away from Raikkonen’s Ferrari with Hamilton remaining within a second of his team mate before dropping back to around 1.5 seconds after complaining of rear tyre wear.

By Lap 24, the Mercedes had caught traffic, allowing Hamilton to close up the gap to his team mate ahead. But then the Safety Car was deployed for the second time when Adrian Sutil lost control under braking for the Harbour Chicane, crashing into the inside barrier and sliding to a stop along the escape road.

The leaders were immediately called into the pits, with Hamilton forced to queue behind Rosberg but able to rejoin in second. Despite pitting under the Safety Car, Raikkonen was brought into the pits for two consecutive laps, dropping him from third to 13th and promoting Ricciardo back up to third.

The race resumed on Lap 31, with Hamilton told that he would not be required to stop again for the remainder of the race and that tyre degradation would be the key. Kevin Magnussen appeared to pass Jean-Eric Vergne before the Safety Car line at Rascasse at the restart, before being passed himself by Nico Hulkenberg with a superb move into Portier.

Once again, the Mercedes disappeared into the distance leaving Ricciardo and Fernando Alonso to circulate behind them. Rosberg was informed that he would need to use longer gears to avoid his fuel level becoming critical by the end of the race.

Jean-Eric Vergne suffered an apparent engine failure from 13th place, putting him out on Lap 53, while in the lead, Rosberg was told he was now back on target with his fuel usage. Valtteri Bottas then fell victim to an engine failure of his own, stopping at the Hairpin. The Williams was cleared without the need for a third Safety Car.

On Lap 62, Esteban Gutierrez spun exiting the Rascasse, taking him out of the race and promoting Jules Bianchi’s Marussia into tenth place. However, the Frenchman was under investigation for taking a five-second penalty under the Safety Car and would receive an additional five second penalty added to his race time.

With just over ten laps remaining, Hamilton began to drop back significantly from Rosberg ahead before complaining to his team over the radio that he was suffering with vision problems due to not being able to see out of one eye. This allowed Daniel Ricciardo to close up the margin to Hamilton dramatically with the Mercedes almost two seconds off the pace.

With the tension mounting, there was yet more drama when Kimi Raikkonen dived down the inside of Kevin Magnussen into the Hairpin, putting both cars into the tyres and forcing them both out of the points. This elevated Bianchi up to eighth with Magnussen too far behind to make up the gap.

Despite catching the second Mercedes, Ricciardo was unable to pass Hamilton and was forced to settle for third. Alonso finished fourth, with Nico Hulkenberg fifth in the sole remaining Force India ahead of Jenson Button’s McLaren.

Although he recieved an additional penalty, Jules Bianchi was classified ninth, officially securing Marussia’s first ever points finish in their 84 race history.

2014 Monaco Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Monaco Grand Prix articles

205 comments on Rosberg takes win and championship lead in Monaco

1. trublu (@trublu) said on 25th May 2014, 15:58

Who is the lady that interviewed the drivers after the race for Sky? I can’t stand how she kept trying to get a rise out of Nico and Hamilton

• Sri Harsha (@harsha) said on 25th May 2014, 16:47

@trublu
      Natalie Pinkham Worst of Sky F1

• Jules Winfield (@jules-winfield) said on 25th May 2014, 17:14

I don’t know about that. She’s got some strong competition. Lazenby’s level of competency is mirroring that of Jonathon Legard on the Beeb and Johnny Herbert is doing a stellar impression of Mark Blundell, but with a slightly less tortured command of the English language. There’s no need to ask him a question as the answer is always “Lewis Hamilton”. Or he’ll repeat the words of a question in a slightly different order.

“Johnny, who’s going to be on pole?” “Lewis Hamilton.”
        “Johnny, who’s going to win the race?” “Lewis Hamilton.”
        “Johnny, do you see anyone other than Nigel Farage winning the UK European Elections?” “Well, Farage is a very strong candidate, but I can’t see past Lewis Hamilton.”

• JeffreyJ said on 25th May 2014, 17:15

What’s wrong with Nathalie Pinkham?! I think she does a fine job.

• Alesici (@alesici) said on 25th May 2014, 19:21

In the past I’ve not been convinced by Natalie Pinkham, but I thought she did a great job interviewing Nico and Lewis this weekend. A bit sensationalist, but particularly in the case for Nico, she simply had to take the opportunity to press him hard on the matter, as we all wanted a chance to read his body language to help tell if he had deliberately lost it in qualifying (which disappointingly I think he did). In comparison, the BBC interviewer was far too nice and agreeable, giving him such an easy time in comparison – weak.
          Besides, the Sky anchor trio are hopeless – Its frustrating when BBC aren’t live, as I can’t switch over whenever those idiots are on screen. Then again, the BBC sacked their ultrabrain geek asset during F1’s most technical ever year – Gary Anderson, so that was a bit silly of them.

• Alex McFarlane said on 26th May 2014, 0:21

+1. I’d say she’s one of the better presenters on Sky F1, especially given she has no racing experience. I hear she’s very nice in person as well.

If you think Sky or the Beeb’s coverage of F1 is bad, I watched the Indy 500 coverage on BT Sport after Monaco.. seriously cringeworthy. I don’t think the presenter or producers had much of a clue about motor racing, despite having an Indy 500 driver in Katherine Legge and an endurance racer whose name eludes me on the panel.

Viewer question: how do indycars differ from F1?
          Response (not word perfect): indy cars are heavier and less aerodynamic but I essentially consider them to be the America’s F1 cars.

Just…. no.

2. Casbar said on 25th May 2014, 16:00

Rosberg didn’t cheat, because stewarts now best but Lewis pretend he was blinded…because people over here knows best…
    See you in Canada in two weeks and we’ll see what you people have to say when Lewis recover the leadership.

• JackJ said on 26th May 2014, 8:46

Leadership? I find imagining Lewis in a leadership position a funny scenario.
      Oh you meant the championship lead? That makes more sense.

3. bull mello (@bullmello) said on 25th May 2014, 16:11

Nico & Lewis, Lewis & Nico – It’s bound to go back and forth like this until the very end of the season. Advantage to one or the other depending on the track or the day. Nico stays even keel mostly, Lewis is up and down emotionally. At least this season Lewis is more emotional about the racing than off track stuff.

So, after Monaco it’s advantage Nico. After Canada it will be advantage… guess we’ll have to wait and see.

4. kpcart said on 25th May 2014, 16:18

Looks like Rosberg is the more senna-esque – 2 poles and 2 wins leading every lap on Senna’s best track – against the dude who wants to do a Senna on him.

5. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 25th May 2014, 16:27

Amazing how quickly the world of Formula 1 can change.

I’m sure next week it’ll switch again. They’ll go blow for blow all season.

Buckle up :)

This is turning into the rivalry that I was expecting the Kimi-Alonso partnership to be!

• “Lewis wins 4 in a row, and everyone says Rosberg is desperate. Then Rosberg wins and everyone says Lewis is desperate.”

I wouldnt say everyone is saying Lewis is desperate, its just the same few knuckle-draggers who go silent when hes winning then come out in force when hes had a few issues.

• Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 25th May 2014, 16:38

Well yes, but you get my point.

But yeah, a lot of people are really coming down hard on Lewis all of a sudden. Especially on this site.

Sure I don’t think he’s handled today’s result the best. But some of the things people have said over the past few days about Lewis’s comments (which were actually construed and taken out of context by the media to make flashy headlines and get as many hits as possible) have been nothing short of pathetic.

• trublu (@trublu) said on 25th May 2014, 16:37

It’s the silly media people. Always blowing things out of proportion

• Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 25th May 2014, 16:39

They really are. It’s almost comical. It’s kind of like they’re trying to get one of those Gossip magazines to play out in real life.

• bull mello (@bullmello) said on 25th May 2014, 17:02

Right. A lot of the reporters (and fans) are saying things like – if Lewis or Nico wins this race then they will have all the momentum to win the championship. As if everything is a one moment soap opera rather than a back and forth long season with drivers of great talent going head to head all season long.

• curmudgeon (@curmudgeon) said on 25th May 2014, 17:31

The press was talking about Lewis winning the WDC last year after his victory in Hungary. We saw how that worked out. Better to listen to your own thoughts.

Over at the Autosport Nico/Lewis thread Nico is vilified and Lewis was robbed and never said anything improper. I worry about group-think.

• Jules Winfield (@jules-winfield) said on 25th May 2014, 17:09

Sky F1 are being particularly annoying in this regard. But what would you expect?

6. Eric Morman (@lethalnz) said on 25th May 2014, 16:36

congrates Nico, well done,
    great drive Lewis,
    nice to see you back up on the podium Riccardo,
    i hate this track, yet each year i still watch it, just in case i might miss something,
    that something this year was Bianchi some how coming 9th.

7. BasCB (@bascb) said on 25th May 2014, 16:40

Reallly lovely Monaco race. A lot of tension boiling too.

8. PT (@pt) said on 25th May 2014, 17:12

Would love to see Nico win the championship and become the first father-son world champion duo in Grand Prix history along with Keke…

9. Osama Shahid (@os-shahid1) said on 25th May 2014, 17:23

Rosberg hitting back at Hamilton this weekend then, and the gloves are off. Hamilton In my opinion though shouldn’t have made that comment about ‘hunger’. Talk is cheap as they say. Nothing but respect for Hamilton but this weekend he’s made a joke out of himself.

10. lee1 said on 25th May 2014, 19:56

Does anyone know if kimi has been given a penalty for forcing magnussen to stop?

11. melkurion (@melkurion) said on 25th May 2014, 22:29

I am not a Lewis fan, nor am I a Hamilton fan. I like supporting the people I feel are underdogs, therefor I like people like Grosjean, Bottas and Hulkenberg, and they get the most support from me as a fan.

Now a lot of people here have strong oppinions about the two title contenders. Personally I believe Hamilton to be the more gifted racing driver of the two, and Rosberg perhaps the more consistent over the years because I feel he is the more emotionaly stable one.

If you’d ask me who I think will win the title I wil say Hamilton. If you ask me which one I’d like to take the title I’d say Rosberg. Not because I dislike Hamilton, but because
    A ) I like the underdog, and
    B ) I would like to see a new champion instead of a repeat champion.

Now I’d like to point out how the above was phrased: ” I think, I like, my oppinion”

I find it sad that the commenters on this forum for a large part seem to have forgotten that they are just that , commentors. I have been a member if F1fanatic for many years. It has been a hallmark of this site that it is filled with intellegent racing fans. Lately though a lot of people seem to have fallen back on the time tried methods of “people of lesser intelligence” (as not to say stupid) those methods being;

Yelling things a 100 time over and louder This does not make you right people..”

I cringe everytime I read comments like “rosberg did it on purpose, i saw it” or “hamilton was faking his eye injury because he needed an excuse to be second” . These are not facts, no matter how many times you repeat them or how many times you put people who disagree with you down. They are oppinios backed up, hopefully, by a good arguement (mostly lacking sadly)

We are all voicing our oppinions ang thoughts here. So lets all treat eachother with a bit more respect, and stop trying to make our oppinions into facts.

I believe it would make for a much more agreeable read.

12. 68btyme (@steadyb) said on 26th May 2014, 2:35

Man, if rosberg gets just one DNF its really game on.

• JeffreyJ said on 26th May 2014, 8:30

If Rosberg gets an DNF next race, Lewis be up 21 points.

For all the praise Nico is getting for being so closely matched, fans and pundits alike seem to forget that it’s only this close because of Lewis’ reliability issue in Melbourne.

• JackJ said on 26th May 2014, 8:53

True. But Lewis isn’t really leaving Nico in the dust either. They’re pretty closely matched weekend after weekend. I love it.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 26th May 2014, 13:39

I am surprised at how everyone has assumed that without LH’s DNF, he would have won in Australia. Everyone just naturally gravitates toward that assumption. Sure he was leading at the time but it was early in the race. And that’s racing. NR has also had telemetry and radio issues that affected one of his starts. And he may have a DNF yet. Now that we know LH used boost that everyone on the team agreed upon beforehand, to prevent NR from passing him, perhaps things are more even than some suggest. Certainly many around here should retract some of their comments and their thinking about NR having his chances yet continually failing to get past LH and therefore it being a foregone conclusion that LH will be WDC. I see chinks in LH’s armor that I didn’t see 5 or 6 days ago.