Ferrari must be more creative – Allison

F1 Fanatic Round-up

James Allison, Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, Monza, 2013In the round-up: Ferrari technical director James Allison says the team’s design staff needs to be given greater freedom.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Ferrari ‘hurt by lack of creativity’ (BBC)

“It is a question of giving them the encouragement to actually go off and do more unusual things and then have the time to look at them and know that if they fail it’s OK because there’s still time to put a back-up plan in place and for that to work.”

Caterham play down Haas talk (Sky)

Cyril Abiteboul: “I think they have a very strong opinion of how they want to do Formula One. I don’t think that we tick their boxes”

Mercedes offer Formula One rivals feud for thought (Reuters)

Lewis Hamilton: “People say that we are best friends but we are not. We have not been since we were 13 years old. I say hi to him and he says hi to me. We don’t have lunch together; we don’t have dinners. We are cool.”

Rosberg: Our feud will be forgotten (The Telegraph)

“We discuss the issues and we have already discussed them and it will again be better and it will be forgotten.”

Merc drivers ‘a bit like teenagers’ – Wolff (ESPN)

“We started [setting boundaries] before the season and this is a dynamic process that is being recalibrated before every single weekend – before the race weekend, at the race weekend and after the race weekend. Sometimes, and I mean this with a positive spin, they are a little bit like teenagers finding out how far they can go.”

Christian Horner: “We are now where we should have been in January…” (Adam Cooper’s F1 Blog)

“We’re very much in Renault’s hands. We are making progress, they’re making progress, Total on the fuel side have been making progress. But really we are now where we should have been in January.”

Massa: Monaco easier than expected (Autosport)

“I expected Monaco to be much more tricky that how it was. It was better than expected.”

Caterham Group Statement

“Despite press rumours to the contrary, Caterham Group is not for sale.”

The Hamilton/Rosberg rivalry (MotorSport)

“The guys and girls at Marussia are some of the most welcoming and helpful in the paddock and their efforts don’t get enough respect.”

“Thoughts About the Most Absurd Place” (The Motorsport Archive)

“Like the precious, dull, soft safety net that is West London, this feels like the kind of place where fat, leery men go to die, poisoned by the strength of their own bullshit. Never has glamour looked so cheap.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

If Hamilton’s handling of the media detracting from his performances on-track?

On track he is as good this season as he ever has been. For the first part of the season he seemed to concentrating all his focus onto racing. Now he thinks he’s playing mind games that are helping him beat Rosberg. If that’s what he really believes, it is delusional. He’s really playing right into the insatiable clutches of media spin where he is doomed to be endlessly surfing tornadoes.

What is wrong with just shutting up off track, and proving your points on track? The constant ever sharpening drama is somewhat entertaining, but ever so childish. The focus now is more on the sad soap opera, not his four wins so far. What would Hamilton most like to be remembered for, his words, or his accomplishments on track? It’s his choice, the world is watching.
@Bullmello

From the forum

Happy birthday!

No F1 Fanatic birthdays today

On this day in F1

1994 F1 seasonMichael Schumacher took his second consecutive pole position of 1994 in qualifying for the Spanish Grand Prix.

Damon Hill took second for Williams, with David Coulthard ninth for Williams.

Image © Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

106 comments on Ferrari must be more creative – Allison

1. xjr15jaaag (@xjr15jaaag) said on 28th May 2014, 0:04

I partially hope Leimer gets a Lotus seat, but then again, I hope he stays in WEC and gets a factory drive with say Audi, or the new Nissan team maybe

2. Michael C said on 28th May 2014, 0:09

How on earth did that get COTD?

• Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 28th May 2014, 0:53

Because it was eloquent, insightful and in my opinion entirely correct?

Why don’t you write something better instead of doling out hollow criticism?

• Funkyf1 (@funkyf1) said on 28th May 2014, 8:48

+1 COTD is a great summary of the current situation

• JimG (@jimg) said on 28th May 2014, 10:44

@colossal-squid: This is the bit I have trouble with:

This is disingenuous on a couple of levels. Firstly all drivers are contractually obliged to talk to the media, so they can’t just shut up. Secondly most people say that they don’t want to hear bland PR-approved answers, but as soon as any driver says something controversial they get slammed for that too.

Otherwise, yes I think that Hamilton could have handled the situation better but I also think that his behaviour and his responses show the depth of his desire to win, and this sometimes unpleasant behaviour seems to be something that he shares with other champions. Some call it arrogance or entitlement, others call it self-belief and positive thinking.

I’m hoping that Hamilton manages to channel his frustration into driving better, and doesn’t let it get on top of him. He does sometimes seem to be more mentally fragile than others, but that could just be because he lets his feelings show more.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 28th May 2014, 13:16

@jimg Of course he is going to talk…it is what he says and the tone of it and his facial expressions when he says it that is the ‘issue’. Including tweeting hours later that something he saw on the telemetry made him smile, yet wouldn’t say what, whereas in the past he has not hesitated to explain or tweet the ‘what’. Yes the controversy invites slamming…that’s why we don’t just want PR robots. Controversy and slamming go hand in hand, and NR has been getting his fair share of slamming too…moreso for it being assumed that he is not up to LH’s level, or being psyched out by LH, or it being assumed in spite of the stewards decision, that he did something sneaky in Monaco.

I expect BE is absolutely in his glory.

• ruliemaulana (@ruliemaulana) said on 28th May 2014, 14:22

a colossal reply! :)

3. Cornflakes (@cornflakes) said on 28th May 2014, 0:16

I agree with COTD. 3 weeks 1 day ago I said this;

‘Hamilton seems a lot more rounded this year, not only in his driving but especially in the way he conducts himself. He really seems much more at ease, more down-to-earth and much more likeable this year’

I would not say the same now. Quite the opposite actually.

• Michael C said on 28th May 2014, 0:25

Yes its amazing how quick people are to judge one sentence quotes from drivers.

• dennis (@dennis) said on 28th May 2014, 17:39

In the last couple weeks it has been way more than one sentence.
        I too agree with COTD, and at the start of the season I was delighted about how well both Lewis and Nico got along.

This is now getting terrible to watch.

• andrewf1 (@andrewf1) said on 28th May 2014, 0:48

@cornflakes
      People tend to be grumpy when they feel they’ve been robbed of a chance to succeed.

If Rosberg had gotten pole fairly, I’m pretty sure Hamilton would have simply said “Nico was faster than me”, with respect, as he has done at previous races.

It’s quite funny to see people making him the villain of the story, after everything that has happened this weekend.
      For instance, even if you dismiss the “parking” incident from Rosberg, the way he lost the car on the final lap of Q3 is not exactly something to be proud of and Nico has made several mistakes under pressure on the final Q3 run this season, China or Malaysia being other examples. Yet nobody talks about that.

If Hamilton had lost the car on the final Q3 run, people would be talking about how he’s cracked under pressure, how Rosberg is getting to him with mind games and so on, yet up until Rosberg’s dodgy move in Monaco, Lewis has done all the talking on-track – he beat his teammate in straight fights 4 races in a row. Beat him to pole in Australia as well. Most likely would’ve beaten him to pole in Monaco as well. Most likely will do so in Canada too.

Lewis does the talking on track, the media tries to do it off-track for him. Look up the original “hunger” quotes posted on the F1.com website from the press-conferences and compare it to the spin the media has put on it.
      He’s also being asked about Senna/Prost rivalry all the time by the journalists, yet people complain why he brings up Senna in conversations. He says he will “borrow a page out of Senna’s book” and everybody translates that to ramming your teammate off the road – as if that’s what Senna’s character was all about.

The guy can do no right. It’s been like this for a while now.

• Cornflakes (@cornflakes) said on 28th May 2014, 0:54

I understand your position completely. I may have come across a little strongly here and I will say I am actually a big Hamilton fan. All I’m saying is that compared to his previous years he has, up to now, really impressed me with how he conducts himself this year, despite the constant barraging by the media. He himself keeps saying this year how he has ‘grown up’.

All I’m saying is that he comes across as a bad loser. When Rosberg loses he is magnanimous. When Hamilton loses he comes out with lines like ‘I wish you could see his telementary’ and ‘We’re not friends’. Having said that, F1 wouldn’t be the same without him and I love to see him win because I think he’s probably the most talented driver on the grid.

• andrewf1 (@andrewf1) said on 28th May 2014, 1:07

@cornflakes

He does not come across as a bad loser in this context.
          Rosberg is magnanimous in defeat because whenever he finishes 2nd to Lewis, it’s after a hard, but fair fight. Qualifying in Monaco at Saturday was anything but fair.

I don’t remember Lewis having a sore loser reaction in Bahrain when he was beaten to pole by Nico. Neither in 2013 in the races where Nico out-performed him. If the playing field is level for him and his teammate, I’m convinced he can accept defeat with respect.

• OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 28th May 2014, 1:14

he’s probably the most talented driver on the grid

Oh, now he has a rocketship and he wins in a way that is more dominant than what Vettel did… but he is the most talented on the grid?
          You see that the car is so dominant, that when the Mercedes drivers had the SC in Barhein, after that the cars still created a huge advantage. That in Monaco the “bad eye” didn’t stop Hamilton to be second.
          It’s the car. It’s Wolff and Paddy Lowe against Alonso, Vettel, Ricciardo, Bottas, etc.
          And of course I’m being ironic.

• JackJ said on 28th May 2014, 6:55

Yup. The car drive themselves right?

• Iestyn Davies (@fastiesty) said on 28th May 2014, 13:04

*Ross Brawn! ;)

• MagillaGorilla (@magillagorilla) said on 30th May 2014, 6:30

@omarr-pepper Wolff doesn’t do any engineering on the car…or anything technical. Also Lowe wasn’t on the team in time to really make a difference since this car was being created by Bob Bell…you might wanna actually look up history before you start spouting off because you don’t like Hamilton.

• OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 30th May 2014, 14:09

@magillagorilla and then I said “and of course I’m being ironic”.
            Sorry I don’t know the exact name of the guy(s) that designed the car, but as JackJ says, the cars don’t drive themselves, no matter how good they are. I’m only comparing the opinions that now mention how awesome Lewis was, when last year some of the same people said “It’s Newey against Alonso and Hamilton, etc”. I’m also NOT saying you said that. It was a general statement I made.
            And yes, you know I don’t like Hamilton, but I can’t deny he will win the championship fair and square. If Nico wins it, I’ll feel disappointed with the points system.

• timi (@timi) said on 28th May 2014, 1:20

To me, he is still more likeable and down-to-earth than in years gone by. He had a bad day… A really bad day PR wise. All I know is I couldn’t care less anymore haha. The guy’s fast, but says dumb things. Why people seem to care so much, and are so offended is kinda funny.

We get things like “Boo, the drivers are so politically-correct now, say something real!”.. And when we get something real, although pretty dumb, we rag on the drivers and as the COTD says “What is wrong with just shutting up off track”. Oh well, we F1 fans sure are a confused bunch.

In my book Hamilton’s foolish words are better than Senna’s or Schumi’s underhanded tactics, so I’ve just moved on, waiting with baited breath to read the next page of the Hamilton/Rosberg saga.

• Albert said on 28th May 2014, 5:24

Eh… A couple of weeks ago the hot topic was Rosberg’s psyche, and how he was being mentally cracked. It reached a point where several COTD asked for the non-stop armchair paychology to stop.

• nidzovski (@nidzovski) said on 28th May 2014, 8:46

@andrewf1 Agree with you 100%. Hamilton was so angry for the quali because he suspected what something was going on and he confirmed his suspicions (if we believe his words) when he looked Nico’s data at Saturday night. If Lewis wasn’t straight talking guy he would go all political about the matter and poke Nico with knife (metaphorically speaking of course) when Nico never expected. I guess that his reaction is completely normal as I’m sure that 90% of humans would react in a same way as he did in a same situation. I’m also sure that Lewis will overcome this and come even stronger in the following races which is good for him and for the fans. It’s easy to go from hero to zero but we should all just wait and not jump to conclusions.

• @andrewf1

Post of the week, frankly.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 28th May 2014, 7:53

@cornflakes

Let’s be fair here, there’s no material supporting the idea that Hamilton’s performance has suffered from his frustration. He started P2 and finished P2 in Monaco, did not try any ambitious move to grab P1, had good pace, was good on fuel… just like the other days… He’s made of flesh and bones, he gets angry when he feels he’s been robbed, nothing psychologically wrong with that.

• nidzovski (@nidzovski) said on 28th May 2014, 8:51

@jcost plane and simple mate. I’m amazed at how concentrated Lewis was after such a difficult Saturday. And I’m also sure, as I guess the majority of F1 fans are, that if he overtook Nico he would be 20+ seconds ahead of Nico at the finish line, with the same car that is.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 28th May 2014, 11:41

@nidzovski I doubt he could finish 20+ seconds ahead of Nico at Monte Carlo but I think it’s what he wants to do in Canada. After Spain Martin Brundle said something like: “when Nico has the best set-up Lewis beats him, when Lewis has the best set-up he destroys him”. So his plan should be hit the nail on set-up and then destroy Nico. He knows he’s faster, Lauda knows it, I know it. However, Nico knows his flaws and strengths and works well with the tools available to him; where he lacks in raw speed he has in will to learn and it helps him setting-up the car that’s why he spends long hours studying his data and Lewis data because if both cars have optimum set-up he knows his chances decrease dramatically.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 28th May 2014, 13:04

Perhaps, but I think that nothing is written in stone. If LH hadn’t cranked his boost in Spain, perhaps NR would have been closer or even passed LH. It’s hard to envision that since what’s done is done, but what if…would MB and you be so sure of LH’s ability to ‘destroy’ NR then? How about if telemetry issues hadn’t altered NR’s clutch setting and he had gotten a better start in…was it China? The race escapes me by he ended up 6th after the start. Is that what it takes for LH to ‘destroy’ NR?

I do agree that it ‘feels’ like MB is right, but I’m pretty sure that they are at least a bit closer to each other than it seems on the surface. It is not a guarantee that LH would have won in Australia, nor gotten pole in Monaco without NR going off. And he wasn’t able to pass LH in Monaco…yeah yeah I know…passing is near impossible at Monaco…yet we saw lots of them…just not from LH. If he actually had 20 seconds more speed than NR had he gotten pole, then he would have gotten by NR.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 28th May 2014, 20:49

@robbie Indeed. I didn’t said it’s written, I just said it should be Lewis goal. He wants to make a statement but to achieve that he will need to beat his very competitive team mate who will play all the cards he has. On the engine boost, it looks like Wolff just was making an effort to somehow clear tensions… apparently Nico did the same in Bahrain (and I think Lewis used it to repass him in Bahrain as well) like Coulthard said, most drivers do it and will keep doing it because they usually anticipate that the other guy will push the button as well.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 29th May 2014, 13:44

@jcost What I meant by not written in stone is that things are ever changing and evolving, and I don’t think it is written in stone that when NR has the best setup LH beats him and when LH has the best setup he destroys NR. The bottom line for me on the engine boost thing is that it sounds like both drivers were using it until a point between races when the team all agreed collectively that the drivers shall not change their boost without permission, and in the race prior to Monaco LH went against the agreement and did it anyway.

• James (@iamjamm) said on 28th May 2014, 11:08

Well said @jcost

4. Ben said on 28th May 2014, 0:18

Cotd. Don’t you think Lewis is doing is talking the track but whenever he attends the mandatory press events he’s constantly asked questions until he says something quotable. Honestly watching the sky interview of Lewis after monaco was cringful in terms of the female interviews persistent probing questions. The guys just come second in the race. Ask about the race and giveth guy a break instead of insesent questioning of the nice Lewis relationship. Journos should get some integrity!

• Gareth Jessopp (@gjessopp) said on 28th May 2014, 1:44

Well there are no journalists in the cockpit and all you could hear on the radio transmissions was him whinging and whining about how he wasn’t pitted when he wanted to. He only thinks about number one and does nothing for the betterment of the team. His publishment of telemetry in his McLaren years proved that. His attitude on the podium was also very distasteful. He has just come second, a position most team would kill to have at this stage of the season, and you would have swore he had just been sacked and scored a Caterham seat. He has the worst attitude in the sport and is not gracious in defeat in the slightest. And it doesn’t take a persistent journalist for him to show his colours.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 28th May 2014, 8:10

Spa and Monaco! Two occasions he felt it was unfair and you brand him like that? Wow, that’s a stretch.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 28th May 2014, 11:29

Yeah, I remember his attitude after Australia this year being one of the most marked changes in him anyway. He looked genuinely unfazed, whereas before he would have at least looked a bit disappointed if not frustrated.

His publishment of telemetry in his McLaren years proved that.

I think that should be the single publishing of telemetry in one race from all of his McLaren years. So that is far from evidence that he isn’t at all a team player.

• Optimaximal (@optimaximal) said on 28th May 2014, 9:30

@gjessopp that’s a tad harsh, especially since his ‘whinging and whining’ was him saying *he* should have come in. He was berating himself for not making the decision to pit. At the end of the day, if a driver visits the pits on his own volition out of sequence, it’s his teams job to service him, whether they like it or not.

• Gareth Jessopp (@gjessopp) said on 28th May 2014, 12:09

All I’m saying is when the going is good for him then he is as happy as can be. When things aren’t going his way he is sulky and petulant. 3 years ago in Monaco he even went as far to say that it was because he was black as an excuse for being summoned to the stewards multiple times.

He isn’t a team player and very rarely shows any form of sportsmanship. And personally, even though I am British, would like nothing better than to see rosberg steal this championship from him.

• Adam Kibbey (@kibblesworth) said on 28th May 2014, 13:30

Sounds like your describing the majority of F1 drivers to me Gareth, or at least the successful ones. Drivers like Button, Vettel and Alonso are also gloomy if a race doesn’t go their way; go figure. They may be better at saying nothing at all instead of letting our their frustrations all in one go, like Hamilton does, but they aren’t exactly rays of sunshines and they don’t get baited half as much as Hamilton does.

And not much of a team player? Please. I don’t remember Senna or Schumacher being very good ‘team players’ either when they were fighting for the championship. Their sportsmanship was often questionable as well. But again, one rule for Hamilton…

• Sleepy Will said on 28th May 2014, 15:56

Don’t forget, journalists choose which radio messages we hear

5. Ned Murphy said on 28th May 2014, 0:28

So Cyril finally came out from hiding at Caterham? Where is he on the weekends because he has nothing to say? The team has been crippled with lousy management since the beginning. If they’re going to improve they need better leadership. Asmat and now Cyril don’t meet the standard needed for F1.

6. HoHum (@hohum) said on 28th May 2014, 1:10

There have been some unflattering observations made of Monaco since the weekend, I would just like to say that whilst those observations are no-doubt accurate they do not give an accurate picture of Monaco for the rest of the year when it is a very pleasant, clean and safe place to visit/live, not only that but I actually had a coffee there that was better and cheaper than I was used to getting on the rest of the Cote d’azure. Bernies vision of F1 and it’s promotion as the ultimate display of conspicuous consumption has some unfortunate side effects.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 28th May 2014, 7:15

To me its interesting to read the impression of people about how the event changed. That said, a coffee or a beer on a top spot for 8 EUR doesn’t feel too bad for me. Afterall here in Prague you are likely to pay 2-4 EUR for one too, and in many a big city or indeed tourist hotbet you get a warm beer or a cold coffee for about 5-6 EUR quite regularly in my experience.
      And as far as I know, at most F1 races you are lucky if you are allowed to buy 0,5 l of water for 4 EUR!

7. timi (@timi) said on 28th May 2014, 1:14

While Hamilton’s actions off-track might be detracting frmo his performances on-track.. I tell you this. It does F1 a world of good having this sort of spat instead of everyone lovey-dovey with Mercedes running away with the championship.

Hamilton proves to be immature at times, but this is what pulls in spectators, it’s what puts bums on seats and it’s what keeps F1 alive. After 4 years of RBR domination and dwindling fans, the last thing F1 needed was another dominant team. Thankfully the respective drivers are closely-matched, but even that was getting stale after Barcelona. Monaco re-invigorated F1 in my opinion and increased it’s global exposure.

As they say, “there is no such thing as bad publicity”. If the fastest driver out there (in my humble opinion) wins 4 in a row, loses 1 then whines, but draws in fans and increases the number of F1 conversation topics.. Then I say continue doing it Hamilton. He wins the WDC, although not looking like the greatest of guys, and we get one hell of an interesting season along with increased viewership (fingers crossed)!

8. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 28th May 2014, 1:15

The problem with Hamilton’s way to express himself in the mindgames it’s that it never helps him. The mindgames always leave him on the backfoot.

He’s not like Webber that seemed to react better to being the underdog in 2010. He often put himself in that position. Hamilton ends up saying things that are questionable and drive him off the track, where he should do all the talking, where we all know he is a step ahead compared to Rosberg (who would deny it?).

He switches to his weakness… that’s not good.

• Adam Kibbey (@kibblesworth) said on 28th May 2014, 13:32

I really don’t think they are mind games in the slightest. He just responds to journalist’s questions, for the most part, just like everyone else. We see more of it because he’s a successful British driver who gets asked incendiary questions by a British Media hungry for drama. I mean just look at how much they’re pushing the Prost/Senna comparisons for god’s sake.

9. Ross said on 28th May 2014, 1:53

I for one hope Rosberg uses Hamilton’s inability to control his emotions and plays him like a fiddle, taking the WDC with him. You go Brittany. Its the points at the end of the year, not who can squeeze an extra .10 seconds on a single lap. He should be slapping him on the back and grinning ear to ear whenever he gets on the top step, and using whatever damn engine modes he has at his disposal to fight. Wait till Hamilton’s pit crew screw up a tyre change and watch for the rattle flying out the cockpit.

10. Mach1 (@mach1) said on 28th May 2014, 2:36

In my opinion (similar to @timi although I am a bit more cynical), this whole situation smacks of being slightly stage managed and then blown out of proportion by the press to sell their own copy. The “characters” are playing their parts too well for my liking, and we are just falling for it.

Hamilton and Rosberg seem a bit too willing to “play the parts” of Senna and Prost. Rosberg the cool professor, Hamilton the passionate natural talent hot head! You know that Hamilton will not turn down being compared to Senna, he probably loves playing the “role”. Even Lauda has started making that comparison. The fact that Hamilton is still allowed by team management to continue the muck throwing after the race (where is that press officer of theirs?!? Have the team lost control of him already?). These are meant to be professional racers! Hamilton, as per his competitive and racing pedigree is meant to be concentrating on the next race. Come on guys…think about it!

I do not doubt that there is “friction”, but Mercedes seem all too willing to let it air in public and the press are there to just lap it up. What does it generate? More headlines, more excitement, more viewing figures = happy F1, team shareholders, TV execs and press selling the stories.

Is F1 any different from boxing with regards to marketing? No! This is just the f1 equivalent of boxers (who have know each other since childhood and sparred together) suddenly staring each other down and calling each other’s mother names at the weigh in! Then after the fight they are best friends again and are hugging. It is the same thing.

In many ways, it is fun and good for the sport. It will may the f1 season much more interesting as @timi says. However, when the mechanics of F1 (DRS, Tyres what have you) are so artificial, why should we expect the relationships between drivers to be any less so!

11. The limit said on 28th May 2014, 3:28

I don’t think the events of this past weekend will be forgotten as easily as Rosberg believes. Hamilton does not come across as the kind of person who would forget, he believes he was wronged at that’s that.
    Rosberg opened a can of worms in Monaco, and the next grands prix is one of Lewis’ best circuits. Canada will be an indication on how the rest of the season will pan out, everyone awaits Hamilton’s response. Nico appears to be downplaying the effects of Monaco, but it only takes one incident.
    Estoril 1989 was the race in which Alain Prost famously was shown the pitwall at 170mph by Aryton Senna. Prost never forgot that moment, and his relationship with his team mate when downhill from there on. How much the events of Estoril led to what was to follow in Japan is debatable, but it must have curried Alain’s opinion even further against Senna.
    The cat is out of the bag, and it has sharp claws!

• DirkWar said on 28th May 2014, 8:27

1988 actually, never mind . In 1989 Senna crashed with Berger, Mansell and of course Prost. At the time Senna was the villan. I hope Lewis remains Lewis and not turn into Senna..

• montreal95 (@montreal95) said on 28th May 2014, 13:30

Well I don’t think you can compare the Estoril 1989 incident with Monaco 2014. Prost was livid with Senna trying to put him into the wall. Not the same as making a mistake in qualy, even if Lewis believes it was on purpose. It might get downhill from now on very sharply indeed, but this particular incident will not be the cause. Simply put, there has never been, in recent memory, a year in which team-mates both fought for the championship only between themselves and remained on good terms. Top F1 drivers are not known for lacking egos(even those who try to create an public image of such)

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 28th May 2014, 16:11

Where I disagree is that even though it seems both drivers were feeling each other and the team out for how they could advantage themselves, it was actually the incident that Wolff felt compelled to state publicly, that LH cranked his boost to keep NR back in Spain, a decision by LH that was worthy of him apologizing for, that imho set up how things would go at Monaco. In other words I think it was LH that opened up the can of worms in Spain, not NR in Monaco. I think they might be pretty squared off right now on the nonsense meter.

12. Theo Parkinson (@theo-hrp) said on 28th May 2014, 3:31

I think at this point, the headline could be something like “Ferrari pulls out of F1″ or “Bernie Ecclestone will drive for Red Bull next season” and people would still only talk about Lewis vs Nico. I mean, no one has even mentioned Double points yet!

13. AdrianMorse (@adrianmorse) said on 28th May 2014, 6:08

I think Toto Wolff made some interesting remarks. About his drivers being like teenagers pushing the limits, I think giving your drivers a set of engine modes and then not allowing the use of them is strapping the cat onto the bacon (as we say in Dutch). Of course Hamilton would do everything on the last lap of the Grand Prix to keep Rosberg behind (especially since Rosberg might be doing the same to get by). I think they can afford to let their drivers use engine modes as they see fit. It’s not like they are going to lose the constructors’ anymore, and in a sense it would be ‘use it at your peril’, if it results in an engine failure.

Toto’s comment concerning the truth about Rosberg’s and Hamilton’s view of the incident being somewhere in the middle, suggests that Rosberg indeed could have done more to prevent the yellow flags, but felt not inclined to do so.

Re COTD and millions of journalists and commenters harping on about mind games: I find it a bit silly, and quite annoying also. Hamilton sometimes (quite often, of late) makes silly comments, but to suggest they form a part of a plan to destabilize Rosberg is ridiculous. For better or worse he wears his heart on his sleeve but he is no schemer.

• GeeMac (@geemac) said on 28th May 2014, 8:33

“Strapping the cat onto the bacon”…that has to be the most fantastic phrase I have ever heard.

• Keith Campbell (@keithedin) said on 28th May 2014, 9:32

On the engine modes, it really depends whether they can effectively police it (or even remove those engine modes from the car before the race?). It makes perfect sense not to use them, if they are sufficiently ahead of other teams. If both use full engine mode then they stress the engines more (also use more fuel but that’s unlikely to be an issue) and are more likely for either one or both of the engines to fail, but they cancel each other out. If neither use it they still finish 1-2 but have better reliability. Kind of a game theory thing where both drivers competing for their own best interest could actually disadvantage them both.

14. Jake (@jleigh) said on 28th May 2014, 7:15

Say what you like about Nico vs Lewis etc, but I’ve never seen consistently so many comments on every article! Must be good for f1.

15. Fsoud (@udm7) said on 28th May 2014, 8:08

Sochi looks like a boring downforce-y circuit. Lets hope the extreme climatic conditions of Russia adds some spice.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 28th May 2014, 11:32

Russia’s a big place. Are you talking about there being extreme climatic conditions around Sochi specifically?

• craig-o (@craig-o) said on 28th May 2014, 13:56

@udm7 I think the term you’re looking for is a standard Tilkedrome…

• montreal95 (@montreal95) said on 28th May 2014, 14:01

@udm7 That’s what I thought too but I’ll reserve judgement after understanding the scale. That turn 3 will be 800 meters long, twice as long as Istanbul turn 8 which is crazy stuff, previously unheard of in F1

And if I were you, I wouldn’t be counting on any crazy climate there as Sochi has the mildest climate of anywhere in Russia. Even in October the temps are around 20C. Though chances of (mild) rain in October are 50% so there’s that at least

• Dave (@raceprouk) said on 29th May 2014, 0:05

Sochi is almost the same latitude as San Marino

• Fsoud (@udm7) said on 29th May 2014, 9:40

@raceprouk @matt90
      I was hoping for some early October Rain (Snow would be better) and, well, Russia is considered a cold, but i forgot how big it is, even in terms of latitude.
      @raceprouk
      I admit I didn’t check the scale but it has a whole bunch of low speed corners and a few high speed corners. India and China have longer back straights but we havent seen a large amount of overtaking on those. So hence I concluded it’ll have a less than exciting racing. I may be wrong, Only time will tell.