Rosberg stewards ‘had all the necessary data’

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, Monte-Carlo, 2014In the round-up: Former F1 racer Derek Warwick, who was on the stewards’ panel at the Monaco Grand Prix, said they had all the information they needed to make the right call on Nico Rosberg’s controversial moment at Mirabeau.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Warwick urges Lewis to ‘man up’ as British steward speaks for first time on clearing Rosberg in Monaco (Daily Mail)

“We had all Mercedes’s data, including Lewis [Hamilton's] data to overlay on Nico’s. We had the FIA data. We had onboard shots, overhead shots, circuit shots. We had throttle traces, braking traces, everything we needed to make, hopefully, the right decision.”

Christian Horner Red Bull raced with Mercedes – Horner (BBC)

“It is the first time we have raced Mercedes this year. Particularly in the last third of the race, Dan was the quickest car on the track so we can take a lot of confidence from that.”

Recent progress genuine – Marussia (Autosport)

“I don’t want to say that we are able to score points every race because it’s not real. I would say that now we are able to fight with Sauber.”

Eric Boullier: “The target is really to be in the top eight all the time…” (Adam Cooper’s F1 Blog)

“It was going to suit us in Monaco and suit us in Montreal, and Austria as well because it’s a medium downforce track.”

Surtees on the Monaco GP (MotorSport)

John Surtees: “I have no doubt about Lewis Hamilton’s driving ability, but I didn’t like what I saw and heard from Monaco. I can understand the frustration that Lewis must have felt in not having that opportunity on the last lap of qualifying to get pole. But I think his reaction to his team-mate and team was wrong.”

German players ‘shocked’ by sponsor car crash – Bierhoff (Reuters)

“Germany international [footballers] Julian Draxler and Benedikt Hoewedes were passengers in the vehicles driven by German Touring Car (DTM) driver Pascal Wehrlein, who hit the two men, and Formula One driver Nico Rosberg.”

Pacing the pack (ESPN)

“For some reason [Hamilton] is very secretive about his hair cut at the moment and always wears a hat, but as a photographer that makes you even keener to get a photo – just like if a team is trying to conceal a part of its car. He’s been growing his hair back for four or five races, and on the grid he seems absolutely obsessed with getting his hat on before anyone can get a picture.”

Caterham Seven Kobayashi edition launched (Evo)

“Kobayashi has worked with the manufacturer to add his own unique styling tweaks to the model.”

The Stage Is Set (Sky)

Martin Brundle: “It’s certainly going to be very difficult for [Toto Wolff and Niki Lauda] both not to get dragged into a very delicate situation and I can easily foresee this becoming a four-way dynamic. Don’t forget it was Niki who was the pivotal force in bringing Lewis to Mercedes in 2012 when he wore him down with hours of persuasion in his hotel room in Singapore. Not that Lewis is complaining about that.”

Hamilton-Rosberg saga like a marriage without love (The Telegraph)

“In one corner there is Hamilton, from the council house in Stevenage, who drives on emotion, who is prepared to take all the risks, who is minded to say what he believes when he believes he has been wronged. And in the other there is Rosberg, who grew up as the son of multi-millionaire world champion in Monaco, who drives on knowledge, who calculates the risks first, who is clever enough to talk his way out of controversy.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

@GeeMac is conflicted about visiting the Monaco Grand Prix:

Whenever I see fan videos of the Monaco Grand Prix I always get two very strong feelings when I consider attending the race.

The first is that, as a passionate fan of the sport, I would love to go to because nowhere else can you get so close to the cars as they thread their way through the historic streets.

The second is that, should I go, the experience would be ruined by the hoards of posers, hangers on and nouveau riche chavs who seem to be the target market of the race.
Monaco Grand Prix

Snapshot

John Surtees, Ferrari 158, Edenbridge, 2014

John Surtees drove the Ferrari 158 he won the world championship in 50 years ago at a special event in Edenbridge, Kent on Monday.

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Chris, Hughes, Silverkeg and Danny11!

On this day in F1

A gearbox problem for Michael Schumacher helped Damon Hill give Williams some cheer with their first victory of the 1994 season. A full article on this race will appear here later today.

Images © Daimler/Hoch Zwei, Jonathan Sharpe

148 comments on Rosberg stewards ‘had all the necessary data’

1. sebsronnie (@sebsronnie) said on 29th May 2014, 9:25

It’s been a bit sad reading all the comments lambasting Lewis over the past few days. It makes me really wonder whether some people actually look at things as critically as they should. So, lets examine some of the points put forward by the Lewis bashers:
    1. Lewis acted petulantly i.e. he should have acted for the cameras: So, at a race where the pole-sitter is almost certainly guaranteed the victory, Lewis (and others it must be remembered) is unable to complete his last qualification lap into which he was committed to giving his absolute all because of someone else’s mistake (whether intentional or not doesn’t matter). Then it turns out the guy who made the mistake is rewarded with the pole and thus the victory. There is something seriously, seriously wrong with anyone who can’t fathom the kind of hurt this would cause any competitor in any sport! Lewis’ reaction was completely natural and to be expected.

2. The pressure is getting to Lewis: This is pretty funny considering it was Nico who made the mistake (and not the first time this season). Considering how Nico then proceeded to lock up a couple of times while using more fuel despite leading in clear air, I think I know who’s under pressure here!

3. Lewis should shut up otherwise he’ll alienate his team: Well, given the reaction of so many F1 fans and the blatant double standards applied whenever he speaks, I supposed shutting up wouldn’t be a bad idea. Though I find it pretty hilarious when people comment on his radio transmissions yet they know nothing about the kind of relationship between him and his race engineer. But the whole alienating his team bit is rather rich given that the guy who outed his team on the ‘secret’ Pirelli test last year didn’t manage to do that.

4. Nico is a true gentleman, magnanimous etc: At the start of the season, I recall a couple of commenters pointing out that in all the post-race interviews, Nico didn’t utter a single word of sympathy regarding the fate of his team mate. To me, that said a lot more than whatever he says now. His celebrations after ruining his rival’s hot lap said a lot too.

5. Nico is matching Lewis on the track: Probably yes. But how and why shouldn’t he if his side of the garage gets to study every dot and dash of Lewis’ telemetry? If your race engineer is telling you exactly where you need to brake to match your (faster) teammate – lap after lap – why wouldn’t you match him? I for one would love to see the sharing stop and how each driver would perform after that.

I may be a Lewis fan but how I wish non-fans were a little bit more objective in their assessment of him!

• Paul Sainsbury said on 29th May 2014, 10:17

I had a couple of requests for a source for remarks I made earlier, I just want to repost it here so hopefully everyone who asked can see it:

Hi everyone. This came from the replies Mark Hughes of ‘Motorsport’ made in response to comments made on his race report:

The comment I found telling from Hughes was ‘Even inside the team, there are those who will tell you off the record that they suspect that it was indeed deliberate’.

And then, in response to to a comment quoting various team members who had at first supported Nico:

‘As for including Lauda and Wolff as those insisting it wasn’t deliberate. Come on – what else are they going to say publicly? They are Mercedes. And at least one of those admitted off record that he suspected it was deliberate.’

So, either Toto or Niki has said in private to Mark Hughes of Motorsport/Sky, that he now believes Rosberg’s actions to have been deliberate.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 29th May 2014, 13:26

@Paul Sainsbury At your repeated prompting I have read the article and find it to be one man’s opinion. It is proof of nothing. I will go by what Warwick has said. As to @KnottyBwoy below…many have crucified NR for this even though the evidence suggests innocence. And LH has set himself up for this with remarks he had made prior to the race weekend, and by cranking up his boost in the previous race against team instructions.

• paulguitar (@paulguitar) said on 29th May 2014, 17:04

Hello Robbie, sorry for the ‘repeated prompting’ I didn’t realize it had printed that quite so many times……….:)

I also appreciate people saying this is ‘one man’s opinion’, however, the one man in question DOES get to talk to the drivers and team members, and is therefore simply relaying the information from them, even though, for political reasons, it is primarily, in this case, ‘off the record’.

• Kimoni Nakamoto (@) said on 29th May 2014, 16:27

Then you won’t mind us repeating, so that everyone who wants to can see it, that the article you reference contains nothing of substance and that anyone can claim that anonymous sources said anything they want, without fear of such claim being proven untrue. It’s part of the standard tool set of gossip-mongers, conspiracy hypothesists, and anyone else who can’t put together a coherent, valid argument.

Reading guff like that displayed on the site you link to serves only to highlight the quality of journalism here on F1Fanatic.

• KnottyBwoy said on 29th May 2014, 11:16

NO matter what we explain…these people won’t listen. Their eyes are closed for Lewis.They might even be using voodoos to be sure Hamilton’s races will end up zero.Trust me.Imagine if Lewis was the one who locked up in Monaco and ruined rosberg’s Q3 run.Wow…i think all the mobs will jump on lewis that every forum will be overloaded with hate for Hamilton.Right or wrong…They’ll crucify Lewis.Let’s just keep our selves quiet, be humbled and keep our faith in Hamilton.I believe in what God said… “All those who humble them selves shall be exalted and those who exalt themselves shall be humbled.”

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 29th May 2014, 14:07

@sebsronnie Or…

1. LH was acting petulantly before the race weekend.

2. Both drivers are under pressure. LH cranking his boost against team instructions in Spain shows he considers NR a legitimate threat.

3. It’s what LH says, not that he should literally shut up. Eg. He should shut up rather than trying to convince us he was so underprivileged as a kid.

4. A couple of commentators are not flies on the wall and wouldn’t know anything more than a fraction of NR’s conversations after the race.

5. You don’t actually believe LH doesn’t get to see NR’s data too, surely.

• sebsronnie (@sebsronnie) said on 29th May 2014, 14:30

1. How? Because of that one statement about ‘hunger’ that ended up getting completely blown up by people like you?

2. For some reason, you’re the only one that doesn’t believe Nico cranked up his boost in Bahrain. I guess you forget that Nico gained 2 or so seconds by having far quicker pitstops. In addition, you must be deluded if you think any driver would keep their finger off that boost button if a victory was at stake. You should be blaming Mercedes for having that feature – why don’t they disable it for races?

3. He’s not convincing anyone that he was ‘so under-privileged’. He’s simply saying that he believes his background means he has a different outlook on life than Nico. That’s what he believes – you don’t have to believe it. Or listen to him/read what he says for that matter.

4. I was specifically talking about the public conversations after the race, not the private ones. If he can’t commiserate with his desperately unlucky team mate then, then he’s nothing like a gentleman in my book. Ok, lets forget that and fast-forward to Saturday post-qualifying. Care to explain the celebrations?

5. Of course he does. The question is who benefits more from studying the others data?

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 29th May 2014, 15:00

1. I didn’t blow anything up. LH did, and not just about hunger, but about upbringing, when we all know most truly underprivileged kids don’t get to do so much karting that they end up hanging around with the Rosbergs and getting brought under Ron Dennis’s wing.

2. I believe NR cranked his boost, as did LH, before the whole team decided the drivers should leave their boost alone unless otherwise instructed. Then LH cranked his boost in Spain anyway. Took the win and apologized after the fact. Gee thanks.

3. Sure…we all have our own fingerprints…our own upbringing…our own outlook on life. He tried to make himself sound the more downtrodden.

4. Something a few commentators opine about something NR did not say is proof of nothing.

5. They both benefit each other equally. It is about advancing both cars and staying ahead of the competition. You seem to be implying only NR gets any benefit from sharing data, like LH always has the right setup or something, and NR needs LH’s help. I think it is more likely quite equal and often comes down to one driver trying the others approach specifically to improve in one or two corners.

2. Lewis McMurray (@celicadion23) said on 29th May 2014, 9:50

How long until Hamilton uses his Monaco GP form to make the inevitable comparison between himself and Senna again? Something about how Senna’s Monaco ’88 retirement knocked his confidence but he came back stronger?

• sebsronnie (@sebsronnie) said on 29th May 2014, 10:12

And so what if he makes such a comparison?

• Lewis McMurray (@celicadion23) said on 29th May 2014, 11:17

Because he’s endlessly comparing himself to/talking about Senna and it’s becoming pretty stale. I’m a big Senna fan as well as a Hamilton fan and personally I’d love to see him to win the title over Rosberg, but it’s time to change the record, not just because it’s becoming boring. I think it could be damaging to the lasting legacy of what’s looking like a very interesting rivalry story.

I think the Hamilton/Rosberg story has a chance of entering the history books of great F1 rivalries the same way Senna/Prost did, but not if Hamilton and every pundit in the sport keeps drawing comparisons between the details of the two stories. The Mercedes story has to be allowed to stand on its own more if it’s to be remembered properly.

It’s only natural to draw comparisons between past and present rivalries in any sport, but I think the comparisons are too often the forefront of the stories, rather than just the actual Hamilton/Rosberg rivalry itself.

If that’s the case then that’s all anyone will remember the current period of Mercedes dominance and its internal rivalry for – that it was like McLaren’s dominance and the Senna/Prost rivalry, and not that it was its own unique rivalry. In 20 years the Mercedes saga will only ever be thought of in the context of McLaren/Senna/Prost, rather than a standalone rivalry story, which I think would be a great shame because it’s looking like a fantastic story is developing.

• Sleepy WIll said on 29th May 2014, 12:25

If you don’t like what Lewis says, don’t read or watch interviews with him. Oh my goodness, I’ve just solved one of your life problems for you, I’ll accept payment in the form of worship and undying praise.

• I like when Hamilton spouts off and I really enjoyed the acrimony of this last weekend, but this Senna thing sounds weak for a champion driver. Especially since the only Senna imitation he seems to nail is the paranoia and the petulance. Also I can hardly imagine Senna or any other top level driver of the era comparing himself to say Jim Clark or any other driver.

• Sleepy Will said on 29th May 2014, 15:54

I’m just wondering, can you find even one driver in any formula who hasn’t stated that they look up to Senna repeatedly?

• All of them? I don’t ever hear Vettel, Alonso, Button, Raikkonen, saying they are going to handle there teammate like Senna would. Or do this or that like Senna would. It’s almost like a religion for him. What would Jesus do? They others seem to mention Senna when they have to. Like recently at the 20th anniversary of his death.

• Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 30th May 2014, 12:30

But then you don’t have reporters harrassing those guys with questions about how this is a situation just like the Senna/Prost days.

It’s the reporters who keep coming up with this comparison all the time.

3. Dafffid (@dafffid) said on 29th May 2014, 10:50

Lewis could have put it all too bed in one line. All he needed to do was say,
    “I don’t believe Nico did it deliberately, because that would mean he was admitting he’s not as good as me and he can’t beat me fairly”.
    It’s win/win – if it was an accident, he’s not criticising, if it was deliberate it lands a hard psychological blow and discourages Nico from doing it again.

4. the_donz said on 29th May 2014, 10:59

‘Stewards had all the necessary data’

Sounds like a non committal statement to me.

They didn’t have ‘all the data’ just the necessary stuff.

I wonder who decides what is necessary……

5. F1FAN98 (@mariosf1) said on 29th May 2014, 11:09

In my opinion,Hamilton is trying to copy the Senna-Prost war but in his case Rosberg is too cool to respond and start complaining all the time.
    And if he carie the same additute to canada,although he is fast there he may be beaten by his teammate again.

6. Dan said on 29th May 2014, 12:59

Is this the same Nico ‘Honest As The Day Is Long’ Rosberg who ran Hamilton and Alonso off the track at Bahrain in 2012? I seem to remember Alonso was scathing about Rosberg, saying if it had been at another track he could have been killed …
    The funny thing was, Rosberg even complained when Hamilton overtook him after being forced wide. Hamilton would probably have had a penalty if Alonso hadn’t also been shafted by naughty Nico. Hardly the innocent Warwick thinks …

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 29th May 2014, 13:34

Omg not this again. NR was fully ahead of both FA and later SV I believe it was, so could not have possibly ‘ran them off the track’. You are really grasping at straws here.

7. bad_whippet (@bad_whippet) said on 29th May 2014, 13:40

As a few people have already picked up on, I find Warwick’s, “You will not find a more honest driver than Nico” comment worrying.

It’s almost like he’d made his mind up before speaking to Nico or reviewing the data…. Nico can’t possibly lie.

Isn’t Warwick supposed to be impartial??

As for his “man up” rebuke to Lewis, again, seriously? Some people here have suggested it was a piece of friendly advice for Lewis, but I just don’t see it that way.

Smacks of unprofessionalism to me.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 29th May 2014, 14:20

Or…he is being impartial by refuting all the rhetoric that has been going around that NR is a cheater. And what was unprofessional was LH claiming he saw something in the data that ‘made him smile’ when in fact it is DW (and not him alone btw) that saw all the data, which included a conversation with NR in which what he said supported the data and the data supported what he said. Perhaps DW doesn’t like insinuations that he himself is unprofessional.

• bad_whippet (@bad_whippet) said on 29th May 2014, 16:12

But the question isn’t about whether Lewis has been unprofessional or not is it? We’re talking about DW here, not Lewis…

His comments (Nico being the most honest guy in the paddock and Lewis needing to “man up”) were arguably not impartial. Note I said “arguably” :-) This is an open forum for debate after all.

It’s wasn’t DW’s job to refute accusations on Nico’s character, it was solely to decide whether the Monaco incident was committed on purpose or not.

IMO, stating Nico is one of the most honest guys on the grid is bringing DW’s own personal opinion into the debate and as we know, as soon as you involve your own personal opinion into matters, it’s no longer impartial. Clearly the decision reached, was through non-factual evidence, as well as the footage and telemetry.

Unless of course DW has evidence that Britney is the most honest driver ;-)

Just my tuppence worth.

• Dwight_js said on 29th May 2014, 23:32

I don’t think that Nico’s character was taken into consideration while drawing a conclusion about the incident. I think it was used to assess the level of confidence that the stewards made the right decision.

As for the comment to Lewis, I think that it was a rebuttal to the implied accusation that Lewis’ statement carries – He can spot the obvious truth while the stewards can’t.

• Sven (@crammond) said on 29th May 2014, 19:24

Isn’t Warwick supposed to be impartial??

Errr… wasn´t this comment after the trial? Warwick was supposed to be impartial at the beginning of the trial, however, throughout the process that a trial is he had to leave the impartial-ground and come to a judgement, as that is what a trial is about. Start impartial, choose proper judgement through the data given, then announce the judgement.

8. Guy (@sudd) said on 29th May 2014, 13:53

This Warwick guy is unbelievable! So condescending. I get the impression there was no real motivation for justice to be served on this controversy. I get the impression he operates on perceptions and not facts. So if he perceives you to be naughty, you’re going to get screwed if he is the steward no matter if you’re actually innocent…well at least you won’t get an impartial/fair investigate should you make a mistake. Its almost like a bunch of people feel Hamilton deserves to get screwed over because he made that comment about Rosberg’s wealthy family. As if the two are related or equal. Then we have the engine mapping excuse but these same people conveniently ignore the fact that Rosberg was the first offender in Bahrain. The team managed to keep the engine mapping issue private, so why did Lauda conveniently reveal that Hamilton did it but not say anything about Rosberg? I’m not a conspiracy type but here’s what we have so far:

1. Strange engine failure for Hamilton in RD.1 meaning he starts the season with a 25 point deficit.
    2. Strange tire strategies where LH gets stuck with the harder tire in the final stints of the race. We saw this twice. The final stint is where you want the fast tire as most of the fuel will have been burnt off so the car is lighter and you can really maximize the tire grip.
    3. Consistently slower pit stops. Gave NR 4 secs in Spain from pit stops alone.
    4. Team policy of sharing data, but we all know this only benefits Rosberg as he needs “intel” to put up a fight against Hamilton.
    5. Protected Rosberg in engine settings controversy but had no problems throwing Hamilton under the bus.

I’m not saying anything…no allegations, but lets keep track of things and see how the season progresses.

For those of you so obsessed with LH’s clear displeasure about the whole incident, what did you guys think about Webber’s behavior when he felt cheated by Vettel? I don’t remember anyone telling Webber to “man up.” And he was verbally letting Vettel have it after the race. I think he even slammed a cup of water on the table in disgust.

It’s funny how things change when its Hamilton getting the short end of the stick. It’s almost down right permitted. And the expectations everyone has is for him to just shut up and take it. The year he made that comment about the FIA picking on him because he is black did not come out of no where. It was a result of constant nagging by the FIA and throwing maximum penalties at LH for the smallest infractions.

So you got all of that going on plus the abuse he was taking from fans at the tracks. The comments were a bit brash and poorly calculated, but I don’t blame him too much. I know its a host of things that finally cause the man to finally blow up.

• Guy (@sudd) said on 29th May 2014, 13:58

**I think Webber gave Vettel the finger in one of their battles. Can’t remember if it was the mult-21 incident though.

• Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 29th May 2014, 14:18

I’d say it is too much for a conspiracy theory . They will be happy as long as it is a one two . I am so waiting for Canada now . I want Lewis to blitz Nico .

• Keith Campbell (@keithedin) said on 29th May 2014, 14:24

@sudd

I think the ‘man up’ comment taken in isolation sounds condescending, but in the context of the quote i think it was meant more as ‘knuckle down’ and get on with it. I agree he shouldn’t have mentioned things like the importance of the decision and affect on the championship because it should be a case of guilty or not guilty, regardless of the consequences. To take your numbered points:

1) Are you suggesting sabotage? That would be bold for many reasons, not least of which Mercedes couldn’t be sure how they would dominate the championship so could easily have thrown the constructors championship with that decision in the first race.
      2) Soft-soft-hard is usually the optimum strategy – the fastest strategy to the finish and also best chance of keeping/giving track position. Most teams leave the harder tyre till last.
      3) Ok fair enough, Lewis’ pit stops in Spain were slow but other than that can’t remember any difference this year.
      4) Are you serious? Surely not…. and it’s not just a Mercedes policy, as far as i understand this is standard practice for all teams to maximise the performance of both cars.
      5) The only person i’ve heard say anything about Nico using a higher setting in Bahrain is Lewis. So i could turn your comment on it’s head and say there is no evidence for Nico using a higher setting while Lewis definitely has (as stated by Lauda). Hence team is protecting Lewis by not denouncing his statement. (i’m not saying i know what’s true, just that it is unclear)

On your final points, some drivers will always polarise opinion. Lewis is one, Vettel another, and i’ll admit there can always be bais. Not everyone backed Webber up for his behaviour and i would say he should have been the bigger man and not acted petty as he did at times in my view. And yes he gave the finger during multi-21, but probably other times too.

9. Sleepy Will said on 29th May 2014, 16:08

“Man up” is such a ridiculous thing to say. Firstly, can we just put it out there, it’s sexist. When even golf televises women playing, yet we still don’t have a woman driver we need to condemn every public sexist sentiment, no matter the intention behind the words, our sport is a dinosaur and it’s shameful and embarrassing and someone like Derek Warwick using it adds one tiny extra cut into the death by 1000 cuts that women have to endure when trying to be treated equally in male dominated sports.

More importantly, it is utterly without meaning. Everyone defines how a “man” should act entirely differently – I’ve heard people say that Barrichello should have “manned up and be himself with the press”, Massa should “man up and say what he wants to instead of hiding behind PR” now we tell Lewis to “man up” when he does exactly that. It’s an idiotic phase that should die alongside golliwogs and calling people spastics.

• Sleepy Will said on 29th May 2014, 16:32

Just to correct my mistake, I’m aware there have been 6 women drivers who have scored 1 point over 30 races – I was talking about the post senna era specifically.

10. Sauber (@mumito) said on 29th May 2014, 16:45

Jules Bianchi: I’m very happy for you. But the way you got your points was not “as clear” as it should be. Nobody talks about it because its not a podium….but Bianchi penalization required a drive through or stop and go (at least NBC said that).
    Jules Bianchi scored because lots of guys DNF. Evenmore…if GUT hadn’t been so dumb, Sauber might be up in the points.
    Jules…this season you have DNF twice. You have a lot of penalty points and you’ve been fighting hand to hand with Max Chilton (3 races each). So…do not be so proud……Be humble.

Comparing to Sauber….

Marussia first 45 races: Finished only 1 time among first 10
    Sauber first 45 races: Finished 38 times among first 10

Marussia finished last in its first season.
    Sauber had 6 teams below in its first season.

Marusia only had 1 team below in its second season
    Sauber had 6 teams below in its second season.

Marussia no podiums in its first 45 races
    Sauber 1 podium in its first 45 races.

Sauber has been in the F1 for 22 years.

You are comparing marussia with Sauber?
    its like comparing Sauber with Ferrari….

And also…let me tell you…you are comparing to the worst Sauber ever.
    Shame on you Jules!

See you in Canada

11. salcrich said on 29th May 2014, 17:25

Just to lighten the mood a bit – can any of the excellent statisticians who post here quote how many non investigated instances of crashes in quali. have affected another drivers chances of setting a competitive time I.e . Missing out on q2 or q1 or even pole usually because the session is red flagged and stopped. I am sure there are very many but none have caused this controversy (other than Schumacher at Monaco).

12. Bill Niehoff (@justafan) said on 29th May 2014, 18:21

I am sooooo tired of Nico vs. Lewis. Can we move along, please?

13. DVF said on 29th May 2014, 20:34

Hamilton is in reality calling Warwick and all the involved stewards useless, so how anybody could be surprised that Warwick ia responding to that is hard to believe..

The response to the claim is actually very mild (accept the ruling), yet people see that as being rude and condescending, not Hamilton rubbishing all the F1 stewards??

14. Dizzy said on 29th May 2014, 21:34

The comments in that telegraph article are hilarious.

They have even resorted to calling Derek Warwick a crap driver who should never have been in f1 to begin with & someone who therefore has no credibility as an F1 steward & is bias against Lewis because he’s jealous of his success.

At least people here are more sensible in the debates we have.

15. SauberS1 (@saubers1) said on 29th May 2014, 22:00

I would like to see all data as well. :)