Maldonado predicts ‘difficult weekend’ for Lotus

2014 Canadian Grand Prix

Pastor Maldonado, Lotus, Monte-Carlo, 2014The long straights and tight corners of the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve will put Lotus at a disadvantage this weekend, Pastor Maldonado believes.

“Top speed and slow corners are probably the weakest points of our car now,” said Maldonado.

“It could be a difficult weekend for the team, for sure. We are not expecting to be at the top, simply because of the type of track and how we understand our car and its performance strengths and weaknesses. It’s not very aggressive on the tyres either, so we’ll see how it is when we head out to track.”

Although Romain Grosjean equalled the team’s best result of the season so far with eighth in Monaco, the team found its car was less competitive around the street circuit and failed to reach Q3 as it had in Spain.

“Anything can happen and our guys are all working very hard to adapt the car to find more traction in the slow corners and squeeze out some more top speed,” Maldonado added.

He expects the team will be closer to the front at “circuits where you need a lot of downforce like Silverstone, Budapest, maybe Hockenheim as well”.

“These kinds of circuits can be more efficient for our car. We’re improving every day, so with more time we will be back at the sharp end of the grid and not only at preferred tracks.”

2014 Canadian Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Canadian Grand Prix articles

Image © Lotus/LAT

58 comments on Maldonado predicts ‘difficult weekend’ for Lotus

1. Neel Jani (@neelv27) said on 3rd June 2014, 11:03

Maldonado predicts ‘difficult weekend’ for Lotus

“Because I’ll crash again as you intentionally created problems in my car on the Monaco grid!”

2. “I’ll crash because Lotus don’t pay me.”

3. spoutnik (@spoutnik) said on 3rd June 2014, 11:11

and how we understand our car and its performance strengths and weaknesses.

… car flipping is good, but we are not yet fully wall-proof.

4. BrawnGP said on 3rd June 2014, 11:20

Difficult weekend for the team most probably… but we wont know how tough we weekend will be for Madonado untill we see how hard he crashes…

5. Roald (@roald) said on 3rd June 2014, 11:25

Maldonado is on his way to earn a reputation even worse than De Cesaris’ reputation used to be back in the days.

6. With his ability to forsee the future it stays a riddle as to why teams don’t want him.

7. Neel Jani (@neelv27) said on 3rd June 2014, 11:30

How funny! Any exclusive Maldonado article turns into a joke-fest. No one takes him seriously! :)

8. Daniel (@collettdumbletonhall) said on 3rd June 2014, 11:36

It will always be a difficult weekend for the team when Maldonado is about.

9. In_Silico (@insilico) said on 3rd June 2014, 11:43

I don’t remember a driver ever getting this much hate as Maldonado. I for one sincerely hope that he gets on top of his issues and returns to form to show just how much of a great and ultimately fast driver he is, because he has without doubt shown glimpses of this throughout his F1 career. I love when I see people criticising a driver, and then they have to eat their words to a certain extent after witnessing a great performance by them, ala Perez in Bahrain or Vettel in Spain this year. It’s always a nice feeling of satisfaction.

• MaroonJack (@maroonjack) said on 3rd June 2014, 12:14

Of all the jokes here, I think this is the funniest.

• Keith Campbell (@keithedin) said on 3rd June 2014, 13:00

I’m far from a Maldonado fan but even i must admit the string of jokes on every Maldonado article is taking it a bit far. As i write this, every comment apart from yours is a joke, even the reply to your comment (which is admittedly a bit funny). But a year ago i would have put Grosjean in a similar category so you never know how things might turn around (Maldonado has yet to show whether he can learn from his mistakes though).

• JimG (@jimg) said on 3rd June 2014, 13:38

@keithedin: I’d say that’s very charitable. In three years Maldonado has shown no ability to learn from his mistakes, and he’s had plenty of opportunities.

@insilico: I’m not seeing a lot of hate for Maldonado, just humour at his expense. In a way that’s worse, as it seems to indicate that people don’t take him seriously enough to hate him.

My opinion is that Maldonado has shown good speed but it’s never been consistent and has usually been overshadowed by poor judgement.

• AldoH said on 3rd June 2014, 18:36

I agree. It’s like a cycle. I still remember how Grosjean was bashed and ridiculed. To me, ANY driver that was able to win a race in Formula 1 (even in that despicable place, the Barcelona track) deserves respect. Maldonado is highly inconstant and seems unable to learn from mistakes, and that is ruining his career, but the trend is predictable and not even funny anymore, really.

• Girts (@girts) said on 3rd June 2014, 14:35

@insilico I get your point and I’m not a big fan of these jokes myself as they are often driven by myths. Drivers are often labelled as “arrogant”, “slow”, “great” or “crash-prone” but the truth is usually not as simplistic. And if I like a driver, I just can’t stand disrespectful comments about him.

Unfortunately Maldonado really doesn’t seem to learn from his mistakes (he’s definitely not a rookie anymore) even if he is a quick driver with a lot of potential. I don’t think he would stand a chance of staying in F1 without the support of PDVSA. I hope that he and his team string together a perfect weekend now and then so that we can see him on the podium again. But I just don’t believe that Maldonado will ever become a constant race winner or a “safe pair of hands”.

• JackJ said on 3rd June 2014, 15:44

He hasn’t earned our joke-free-posts yet.

• Nick (@npf1) said on 3rd June 2014, 15:57

I wouldn’t say this is hate; most people make fun of someone or something on the internet without actually hating something. My personal top 10 ‘hate’ list would not include Maldonado, but that doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy these jokes!

I’d be a lot more worried if people were calling for his head and on most other forums they’re calling Maldonado a ‘no good paydriver’, while F1 Fanatics seem to keep the jokes to him crashing a lot.

10. PieLighter (@pielighter) said on 3rd June 2014, 12:20

Difficult weekend? Yes, the Wall of Champions will bankrupt the team.

11. maestrointhesky (@maestrointhesky) said on 3rd June 2014, 12:32

Mal – donado = Bad Donald in Engish. Sums him up for me!

12. Lucas Wilson (@full-throttle-f1) said on 3rd June 2014, 12:44

Every weekend is difficult if your Maldonado.

13. Sujeeth (@sjct83) said on 3rd June 2014, 14:08

Once maldonado raced in F1 and light came second.

14. Because You will kiss the wall again,won’t you?
    Or you will hit Esteban Guttierez or the another driver because they are slow?

15. David Margono (@woshidavid95) said on 3rd June 2014, 14:23

I’d expect jokes and mockery of Maldonado on other F1 websites but when even (generally) rational members of F1Fanatic are doing this, it just shows how incorrigible Maldonado is.

• Steven said on 3rd June 2014, 22:35

Yeah, this place is generally one of the tamer websites in terms of comments (I think there’s a bit more respect and etiquette here.

I wanted to post a joke but it looks like the whole community has beat me to it. I’ll save it for later.