Vettel drives Berger’s 1988 Ferrari in Austria

F1 video

Sebastian Vettel got behind the wheel of a Ferrari F1 car at the Red Bull Ring in Austria, scene of the next round of the world championship.

Vettel swapped cars with former Ferrari driver Gerhard Berger. He drover Ferrari F1-87/88C Berger raced in 1988 and took to victory in that year’s Italian Grand Prix.

Berger, who last raced in F1 in 1997, also had the chance to drive Vettel’s world championship-winning car from 2012, the Red Bull-Renault 2012.

“That is so pure, so direct,” said Vettel after driving the 1988 Ferrari F1-87/88C with its 1.5-litre turbocharged engine.

“Because of the lack of downforce you don’t get the curve speeds, but never mind, it has enough power anyway. It’s a lot of fun. Awesome!”

Gallery: Sebastian Vettel drives Gerhard Berger’s 1988 Ferrari in Austria

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image © Red Bull/Platzer

30 comments on Vettel drives Berger’s 1988 Ferrari in Austria

1. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 6th June 2014, 18:13

Kimi, take care of your seat.

2. David not Coulthard (@davidnotcoulthard) said on 6th June 2014, 18:18

@keithcollantine why isn’t the Webm “version” of the video available (at least not from the ViewTube Greasemonkey script)?

I’m just curios (don’t worry I could actually watch the thing).

3. hzh (@hzh00) said on 6th June 2014, 18:21

A Redbull helmet inside a Ferrari. Well that’s weird.

4. Joshua Mesh (@joshua-mesh) said on 6th June 2014, 18:28

Welcome to Ferrari, Vettel.

5. Jack (@jmc200) said on 6th June 2014, 18:39

Very weird seeing Vettel in a Ferrari, I wonder if it’s the last time…

6. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 6th June 2014, 18:41

That’s awesome ! very weird to see a driver driving a rival team’s car !

And god those cars were beautiful ey?

• Bullfrog (@bullfrog) said on 6th June 2014, 19:16

The ones they had the next two years were something else.
      But this 1988 Ferrari’s a good choice of car for Vettel to try – perfect for watching helplessly as two other cars disappear into the distance…

7. Fixy (@fixy) said on 6th June 2014, 18:55

I don’t see the three-digit number which usually appears on old Ferraris at promotional events, so I’m wondering whether Red Bull got access to the car by some other way? But Berger still managed to keep his Ferrari logos on his helmets even though matched with some Wings for Life sponsorship… I’d love to see rival teams co-operate for events like this!

8. George (@george) said on 6th June 2014, 20:37

Beautiful scenery, big elevation changes, looking forward to this circuit now.

9. KaIIe (@kaiie) said on 6th June 2014, 20:40

“The brake on the right”? What is Vettel talking about, surely the brake pedal wasn’t on the right side?

10. mrvco said on 6th June 2014, 20:49

Formula One cars that sound awesome… I remember those days.

11. PT said on 7th June 2014, 8:09

They’d have felt pretty comfortable, since they could speak in German throughout the experience…:)

12. AndrewT (@andrewt) said on 7th June 2014, 8:35

isn’t this some sort of a message from Vettel? driving a car that won the only race in a season dominated by a way too strong team back in 1988, is it not what Vettel wants to be this year, stealing a win from the Mercedes?

13. Arki (@arki19) said on 7th June 2014, 9:44

@Tifoso1989 posted a link to an article about this ‘event’ a couple of days ago. It is great to get a video too – with subtitles!
    I was originally a bit scornful about the Red Bull Ring race as I am totally not on board. But this looks a beautiful circuit and how can you not get excited about an old legend and a racer of today getting together to drive their cars?!
    I think some of you guys are reading too much into the Vettel sitting in a Ferrari thing- I don’t see that they are offering what he wants at the moment (a race winning car).
    I remember fondly that race in 1988 and I didn’t realise the Scuderia had given Gerhard the car. Cool.

14. Bobby (@f1bobby) said on 9th June 2014, 9:02

Eeeeeee! I’m going to be in Austria for the next race. :)