Perez penalised for last-lap crash with Massa as both released from hospital

2014 Canadian Grand Prix

Sergio Perez, Force India, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, 2014Sergio Perez was held responsible for his high-speed collision with Felipe Massa on the last lap of the Canadian Grand Prix.

The Force India driver was given a five-place grid penalty by the stewards, who judged he caused the collision by “changing his racing line” moments before the impact.

Both drivers were taken to hospital as a precaution following the crash and were later released, the FIA confirmed.

2014 Canadian Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Canadian Grand Prix articles

Image © Force India

133 comments on Perez penalised for last-lap crash with Massa as both released from hospital

1. missingxtension said on 9th June 2014, 0:22

Look at the footage on youtube and keep on clicking back to the impact second over and over. You can clearly mza bound to run into him, even if Prz would have held his line. All i see is mza going right, then right again after the impact. I was thinking it was prz fault too, but like i said. I saw the footage over and over and over….

2. Maldonado s fault obiusly

3. Bruno (@brunes) said on 9th June 2014, 1:20

Massa is one unlucky chap

4. Jay Menon (@jaymenon10) said on 9th June 2014, 1:21

This pretty much sums up Felipe Massa.

He had was in the best position to win the race with 10 laps left, but he ended up crashing.

Its no surprise he didnt beat Alonso over 4 years.

5. Jason (@saint-jay) said on 9th June 2014, 1:40

Looked like a racing incident to me.

6. GT Racer (@gt-racer) said on 9th June 2014, 2:06

I think the penalty was fair.

Something worth considering is that for as long as I can remember drivers have always been warned not to change line suddenly in the braking zones, Especially when a car is right behind you.
    Drivers moving around in the braking zones is one of the biggest things you hear drivers complain about because the end result tends to end up with the sort of thing we saw today.

I’d also point out that Perez was suffering from braking problems so suddenly changing line knowing he was having to brake earlier than the drivers behind may have been expecting was a stupid thing to do.

7. Johnny L. (@eljohny78) said on 9th June 2014, 2:16

Unfair

8. wsrgo (@wsrgo) said on 9th June 2014, 3:06

I’m not sure if Perez changed his line intentionally to block Massa, or that he just opened up his steering at the right kink approaching turn one. I guess he simply misjudged Massa’s closing speed, and considering the fact that Massa was in Perez’s blind spot at the moment, we can say this could have been called a racing incident.
    However, I will say again, I’m not sure if Perez simply opened up the steering at the fast kink, or he deliberately plowed into Massa..

9. Hemz Shaw (@hemzshaw) said on 9th June 2014, 5:08

This was so bad a news to read on a gloomy Monday morning for me. Perez was the driver of the day for me.

While I saw the videos and don’t know why he moved left ever so slightly, and Massa moving right at the same time, made things worse. It was a heart break but I don’t think this penalty was delivered in the spirit of racing. Such a big shunt going without any penalties presumably would have made F1 rules look bad or stewards going against recommending safe racing.

Both should have been delivered a penalty in such a case, just because it was a racing incident.

10. Matt said on 9th June 2014, 6:03

On my point of view it’s very clear that Perez was the one to blame. Massa was turning right because it’s a right curve, both cars should turn right there because:
    1. Perez couldn’t move anymore, they were about to break and it’s not a nice thing to do.
    2. Massa was side by side with him, you can’t change you line to try to keep your position when there’s a car on the inside line.

And I think it was a ordinary penalty for a very serious crash, just like when Maldonado flipped Gutierrez’s car

11. Xavi said on 9th June 2014, 6:14

Rubbish!!

This was a Racing incident!

A car with brake problems could slide to either side during braking; inboard camera from FI car shows straight wheel, while inboard Williams camera shows steering to the right (aiming towards FI car). I know they are on a kink / right turn, but one thing is to turn and another to drive your car towards the car in front / next to you (crash it). I can’t believe the decision by the stewards, I have lost respect to Derek Daly.

12. PorscheF1 (@xtwl) said on 9th June 2014, 7:18

This article and the ‘Did Rosberg deserve a penalty’ really showed for me that on this site there are plenty of F1 tourists rather than Fanatics. Such useless hatred and nonsense towards drivers. Asking for a penalty for Rosberg, what? Massa his fault, what? With this amount of footage and data for us to see, how can you write that?

13. L. Andersen (@tobelemo) said on 9th June 2014, 8:57

Both Perez and Chilton should get penalty points too, right? Or are penalty point reserved for rookies and Maldonado?

14. Bobby (@f1bobby) said on 9th June 2014, 8:59

Sometimes it’s no-one’s fault.

15. caci99 (@caci99) said on 9th June 2014, 9:52

My first reaction when I saw it, was: “Oh no Massa”. Then I was worried about his condition, good to hear he is ok.
    Now looking at the videos, I think it is a racing incident, no need for the penalty.

16. Stefan (@stefguy) said on 9th June 2014, 11:04

For me it’s 70% Perez’s fault and 30% Massa’s fault however if there was a problem with the brakes on Perez’s car why would the team leave him out? To me the team also have some explaining to do.

• Checo Conscience said on 10th June 2014, 3:38

“Box Box Box Checo. Stefan isn’t sure it’s safe to stay out”
      “Yes, yes, Nico will get in trouble”

17. Robert Simpson said on 9th June 2014, 11:39

I doubt anyone will agree, however it looked as though Perez was getting a little squirrely behind Vettel. Massa turned in right, despite having plenty of room to keep left and enough room to both make the pass and get round the corner. This is just a race accident, with Massa who was getting frustrated to be stuck behind Checo and Seb and Checo who was trying to defend his position whilst becoming slower as the end of the race progressed.

18. Robert Simpson said on 9th June 2014, 11:41

I should also add that Checo had problems with his brakes at this period.

19. I think it was more a case of Perez slowing down quicker than Massa could handle.

20. Leo B said on 9th June 2014, 12:43

For me this was a rather easy one. It’s a racing accident, caused by Perez’s slight swerve to the left. He probably was concentrating on Vettel and unaware of Massa’s charge. The penalty seems unnecessary.
    If one is certainly not to blame, it’s Massa. He takes avaoiding action (slams the brakes, steers to the left) just prior to the impact.