Perez penalised for last-lap crash with Massa as both released from hospital

2014 Canadian Grand Prix

Sergio Perez, Force India, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, 2014Sergio Perez was held responsible for his high-speed collision with Felipe Massa on the last lap of the Canadian Grand Prix.

The Force India driver was given a five-place grid penalty by the stewards, who judged he caused the collision by “changing his racing line” moments before the impact.

Both drivers were taken to hospital as a precaution following the crash and were later released, the FIA confirmed.

2014 Canadian Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Canadian Grand Prix articles

Image © Force India

133 comments on Perez penalised for last-lap crash with Massa as both released from hospital

1. Damon trolllolololololol said on 8th June 2014, 23:38

I thought you were allowed to make ONE move to defend

2. rafael martins said on 8th June 2014, 23:44

Its all about racing lines. The rule of change the line once werent follwed by poor racer Perez. He was a moving chicane for all drivers. Without him, massa would hit top tree easily.

3. Matt (@hamiltonfan1705) said on 8th June 2014, 23:44

Utterly absurd! Perez had to brake early as he had no brakes so what did Massa expect him to do? And Massa had plenty of time to react. If that was me on F1 2013 or rFactor I would’ve easily reacted in time. Massa 100% at fault in my opinion

4. Ben (@scuderia29) said on 8th June 2014, 23:48

it does seem like whenever theres an accident nowadays they have to dish out a penalty

• bigwilk (@bigwilk) said on 9th June 2014, 0:16

+1 (or whatever you’re supposed to type to agree!)
      It’s does seem like the Stewards feel the need to make someone the guilty party on even the most marginal calls. Frankly in this case I think Perez was entitled to defend, and Massa had no right to assume he would follow any line given that he was ahead but ignoring my own opinion there is a pretty big mix of feeling which tends to suggest there’s no absolute correct call to make.

• GT Racer (@gt-racer) said on 9th June 2014, 2:00

It was the drivers via the GPDA which asked for this a few years ago.

The topic was initially brought up in 2007/2008 & drivers asked that the stewards be harsher if an accident was caused as a result of stupid driving.
      In late 2010 & the drivers asked Charlie Whiting to get the stewards to investigate any incident regardless of how small & to hand out penalty’s if one driver was clearly at fault, Especially if the incident resulted in the innocent party suffering damage or been forced to retire.

That was actually the reason we saw more penalty’s for contact through 2011 & why more incidents get investigated now than in the past, Its what the drivers asked for.

5. Rigi (@rigi) said on 8th June 2014, 23:57

massa was driving into a disappearing gap. no way he would’ve got past there.

6. missingxtension said on 9th June 2014, 0:22

Look at the footage on youtube and keep on clicking back to the impact second over and over. You can clearly mza bound to run into him, even if Prz would have held his line. All i see is mza going right, then right again after the impact. I was thinking it was prz fault too, but like i said. I saw the footage over and over and over….

7. Maldonado s fault obiusly

8. Bruno (@brunes) said on 9th June 2014, 1:20

Massa is one unlucky chap

9. Jay Menon (@jaymenon10) said on 9th June 2014, 1:21

This pretty much sums up Felipe Massa.

He had was in the best position to win the race with 10 laps left, but he ended up crashing.

Its no surprise he didnt beat Alonso over 4 years.

10. Jason (@saint-jay) said on 9th June 2014, 1:40

Looked like a racing incident to me.

11. GT Racer (@gt-racer) said on 9th June 2014, 2:06

I think the penalty was fair.

Something worth considering is that for as long as I can remember drivers have always been warned not to change line suddenly in the braking zones, Especially when a car is right behind you.
    Drivers moving around in the braking zones is one of the biggest things you hear drivers complain about because the end result tends to end up with the sort of thing we saw today.

I’d also point out that Perez was suffering from braking problems so suddenly changing line knowing he was having to brake earlier than the drivers behind may have been expecting was a stupid thing to do.

12. Johnny L. (@eljohny78) said on 9th June 2014, 2:16

Unfair

13. wsrgo (@wsrgo) said on 9th June 2014, 3:06

I’m not sure if Perez changed his line intentionally to block Massa, or that he just opened up his steering at the right kink approaching turn one. I guess he simply misjudged Massa’s closing speed, and considering the fact that Massa was in Perez’s blind spot at the moment, we can say this could have been called a racing incident.
    However, I will say again, I’m not sure if Perez simply opened up the steering at the fast kink, or he deliberately plowed into Massa..

14. Hemz Shaw (@hemzshaw) said on 9th June 2014, 5:08

This was so bad a news to read on a gloomy Monday morning for me. Perez was the driver of the day for me.

While I saw the videos and don’t know why he moved left ever so slightly, and Massa moving right at the same time, made things worse. It was a heart break but I don’t think this penalty was delivered in the spirit of racing. Such a big shunt going without any penalties presumably would have made F1 rules look bad or stewards going against recommending safe racing.

Both should have been delivered a penalty in such a case, just because it was a racing incident.

15. Matt said on 9th June 2014, 6:03

On my point of view it’s very clear that Perez was the one to blame. Massa was turning right because it’s a right curve, both cars should turn right there because:
    1. Perez couldn’t move anymore, they were about to break and it’s not a nice thing to do.
    2. Massa was side by side with him, you can’t change you line to try to keep your position when there’s a car on the inside line.

And I think it was a ordinary penalty for a very serious crash, just like when Maldonado flipped Gutierrez’s car