Rate the race: 2014 Canadian Grand Prix

2014 Canadian Grand Prix

Felipe Massa, Williams, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, 2014What did you think of today’s race? Share your verdict on the Canadian Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2014 Canadian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (1%)
  • 2 (0%)
  • 3 (0%)
  • 4 (0%)
  • 5 (0%)
  • 6 (0%)
  • 7 (2%)
  • 8 (12%)
  • 9 (37%)
  • 10 (48%)

Total Voters: 885

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

You need an F1 Fanatic account to vote. Register an account here or read more about registering here. When this poll is closed the result will be displayed instead of the voting form.

See the results for past seasons here:

2014 Canadian Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Canadian Grand Prix articles

Image © Williams/LAT

244 comments on Rate the race: 2014 Canadian Grand Prix

1. AldoH said on 8th June 2014, 22:05

It is JUST ME, or the TV director at the generating network was terrifyingly BAD??
    Was a guy/woman directly from the chess department put in charge of generating the signal of a F1 race?
    It was the worst transmission I’ve seen in a long, long time.

2. JackySteeg (@jackysteeg) said on 8th June 2014, 22:08

I don’t think we could’ve asked for much more. The fall of the dominant force, a surprise winner and race-long excitement. Let’s not forget that before Perez and Massa collided the top 5 were within 3 seconds of the leader. How often do we see that? Simply amazing. 10/10

3. Michael C said on 8th June 2014, 22:13

9.. -1 for Rosberg being a lucky barstool. C’mon Lewis!

4. Dave R said on 8th June 2014, 22:19

Fascinating race, left me speechless at the end such was the drama and excitement. Defining race for Rosberg’s season in that not only did Lewis DNF but he got his car home in the points when it seemed inevitable he would DNF himself. 10/10

5. 8/10 for me.
    Absolutely brilliant race, but it wasn’t perfect.
    Massively happy for Daniel, he deserved that no doubt, Mercedes would have destroyed the field without their failure, but that’s the way it was, I can’t take anything from him, well deserved.
    Regarding Mercedes, I feel the chicane cut from Rosberg should have merited a punishment, however, a warning was suffice, he made a mistake, it happens.
    What I simply cannot get over is Rosberg’s luck, he has gotten away with so much this year, as well as this race.
    Lewis has simply had no luck, I can’t help but feel bias aside that with any sort of luck, he’d have every race won.
    People who say Rosberg should get preference after 7 rounds are being ludicrous though, 4 straight wins from Lewis, something he has achieved before would put him in the lead again, Rosberg must be looking at a DNF soon as well, it’s far from over.
    Sebastian Vettel had no luck whatsoever in 2010, remember how many DNF’s and issues he has during that season and still won it? I still genuinely believe that Lewis will win this.

6. craig-o (@craig-o) said on 8th June 2014, 22:26

I feel as if there was nothing more that this race could have delivered. More chaotic than usual. 10.

7. Bradley Downton (@bradley13) said on 8th June 2014, 22:31

I also have to give it a nine. Lets not forget a lot of the race was filled with cars just following one another and making no ground, despite obvious advantages/issues.

And also, despite the ‘Please vote based on how entertaining and exciting you thought the race was, not on how your preferred driver or team performed.’ quote, for a lot of people a huge part of how exciting a sporting event is, is how well their preferred team/driver did. If a football match ended 9-6 for example, but your team had the six, I doubt it would be easy to enjoy.

For me, my favourite two drivers at the moment are Lewis and Sergio. I was also backing Williams. For my personal preference it was a torrid result, but nonetheless, happy for Daniel, thoroughly deserved. Just wish we could have seen someone different up there (ie, Force India or Williams, who haven’t been up there properly in years).

I can’t help but wonder why Williams pitted Massa, surely they had nothing to lose leaving him out? And also no idea why Force India pitted Hulkenberg so late and ensured they were jumped by both RBR’s. Could have pitted before them, and the tyres would likely have held on still, didn’t seem to have many issues today.

On another note, a wounded Mercedes was quicker than a Force India by a second through sector’s one and two. They have an awful lot in hand…

8. DaveF1 (@davef1) said on 8th June 2014, 22:47

I’m amazed people actually thought this was a 10/10 race. Sure it tense race but people are over hyping it simply because it was a non-Mercedes win.

I gave it an 8.

9. ElBasque (@elbasque) said on 8th June 2014, 22:50

It gets the best rating im willing to award a race that has DRS in it.

10. Daniel (@collettdumbletonhall) said on 8th June 2014, 22:51

Why the hell did Williams pit Massa?

• Antonio Nartea (@tony031r) said on 9th June 2014, 0:43

@collettdumbletonhall

Not a bad call at all considering the fact that with the fresher softs he did (theoretically) have the pace to challenge for the win. If something should fall into question that’s either the timing of the pit stop or the decision to keep Bottas in front knowing that Massa was roughly 1.5 sec./lap faster than him. (yes, I know, team orders are frowned upon and I agree, but in this case they would have made more sense than they did on other occasions).

Also, I doubt he got all the help he needed from the pit lane / the right MGU-K instructions to pass those Red Bulls (which are still monsters on the corner exits compared to the FW36) as I also doubt Massa was proactive enough to make a move on various occasions.

Felipe’s issues with this race go a bit further than the decision to pit him or not.

11. Little_M_Lo (@pezlo2013) said on 8th June 2014, 22:56

I always give it a 10 just for a first career win, but this race was just… ‘wow’

12. socalf1fan (@socalf1fan) said on 8th June 2014, 23:06

10/10 even knowing that there was some artificiality to the final results based on MB issues. I’ll join the “what horrid TV coverage”… For example I haven’t the foggiest idea how BUT got past ALO&HULK on the last lap… Presumably crash avoidance related. Was happy to see RIC’s smile in the podium, which may have pushed me from a 9 to a 10

13. Daniel Brennan (@dannyisf1) said on 8th June 2014, 23:15

10/10 for this race, the excitement in the last few laps was great and Ricciardo getting his first win was amazing to see. Almost scary to see how much Mercedes have in hand against Force India (Who are in 4th in the constuctors) in the first and second sectors.

14. mphipps (@mphipps) said on 8th June 2014, 23:15

An easy 10/10 from me, but a possibly generous 5/10 for the BBC coverage. Ben Edwards & David Coulthard kept on getting Nico & Lewis mixed up and they cut away from the podium interviews to get waffle from Suzi Perry and then abruptly ended the transmission – no analysis, no driver interviews. I have always watched races on BBC when possible, but I think its going to be Sky for me from now on.

• Jonny705 (@jonny705) said on 9th June 2014, 15:45

When Jonathan Legard was removed by the BBC, I was hoping they would get Edwards in as his replacement for 2011. Always admired his work up to that point, especially A1GP on Sky which I thought he did a great job on. But here he does my head in. Is it me or does he commentate as if he isn’t allowed to talk to loudly? It’s like listening to a kid playing Xbox online when his parents are asleep.

Sky might be expensive but it’s totally worth it in my opinion. The team have brilliant chemistry (although on this particular weekend David Croft was abysmal).

15. Konstantinos (@constantinei) said on 8th June 2014, 23:17

It would be a 10/10 but I just couldn’t keep out of my mind the fact that the reason checo, ric, seb and mas reached nico was the fact that he had serious issues with his car. And thinking that he had 165 less horsepower and it was such a struggle for the rest of them to catch up with him shows how disappointing the pace of the field is compared to the Mercs’. Other than that many great drives especially by daniel, nico and checo. Such a shame for the later not managing to materialize into points his amazing performance. 9/10 hoping that by the end of the season we’ll see races like this with all cars running on equal terms!