Perez hits back at “misguided” criticism over crash

2014 Canadian Grand Prix

Sergio Perez, Force India, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, 2014Sergio Perez has responded to criticism of his driving after his collision with Felipe Massa during the Canadian Grand Prix.

Perez was given a five-place grid penalty by the Canadian Grand Prix stewards following the last-lap crash which put both drivers out of the race.

“It was very disappointing to lose such a strong result through no fault of our own,” said Perez.

“I was following the same line and braking patterns as in the previous laps and I just got hit from behind by Massa. There was plenty of space on the left of my car to attempt a clean overtake and I cannot understand why he had to scrape by.”

Despite the verdict of the stewards, Perez said he holds Massa responsible for the collision.

“I watched several replays of the incident and I can’t help but notice how Felipe turns right just before he hits me,” Perez continued.

“I can only think he must have changed his mind and wanted to rejoin the racing line, his misjudgement cost us a big amount of points.”

The Force India driver also refuted claimed his car was in too poor a condition to finish the race.

“I’m not happy about comments saying we should have retired the car,” he said. “It was perfectly driveable with just some adjustments and we showed it up until the moment in which we were taken out.”

“Other cars out there had been in similar conditions for way longer than us and they finished the race without problems.

“If someone thinks you can keep two Red Bulls behind for as long as we did with so-called ‘terminal’ problems, they are clearly misguided.”

2014 Canadian Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Canadian Grand Prix articles

Image © Force India

171 comments on Perez hits back at “misguided” criticism over crash

1 2 3 4
  1. Liam McShane (@motor_mad) said on 9th June 2014, 16:28

I think he makes a good point. I think both drivers where at fault but Massa mostly was at fault as he was the car behind.

• @motor_mad Yeah, Massa should have just pressed the hoover button and went over Perez instead of into him.

• Liam McShane (@motor_mad) said on 9th June 2014, 16:41

Or, he could have predicted Perez might have to brake earlier than normal due to his brakes and the fact he might want to be moving left to defend his position. I don’t appreciate the sarcastic comment.

• Jimbo Hull (@kartingjimbo) said on 9th June 2014, 16:54

And that Perez had been taking a similar approach laps before. I feel Massa was in control of that situation and failed to gauge it correctly. Perez made the majority of the contact but I feel Massa should of been wise to it, seemed to close for an experienced head like him.

• Quant said on 9th June 2014, 18:53

I don’t agree. Perez had an entire car’s width to his right and must have known Massa was going to be challenging him. How often do we hear professional racing drivers talking about leaving just a car’s width and that being fine? Perez had two.

If Perez was actively defending, he should have moved earlier. If he was just taking his normal line, then I’d like to see some video of his “normal racing line” on other laps, because right now I don’t buy it, it doesn’t look right.

• oliveiraz33 (@oliveiraz33) said on 11th June 2014, 2:04

Watch this video… it’s 200% clear that’s Perez fault…

• Jonny Edwards (@racectrl) said on 9th June 2014, 16:58

Massa was behind Perez for the last chicane and the start/finish straight. Hardly time to study Perez’s braking habits and racing lines. IMO if you plan to defend going into T1 then you make it obvious before the kink, not at the last second. If you leave the guy behind no time to react then he will hit you and that’s exactly what happened.

• Blake Duncan (@bdunc82) said on 9th June 2014, 17:17

I agree that Massa himself really couldn’t study Perez’s braking strategy, but his team should’ve radioed him to say Checo’s brakes weren’t exactly playing along. That probably could’ve changed Massa’s mind. I figure Massa’s would’ve passed him at some point on that last lap, anyway. Of course, I also thought of this as a “racing incident.” I doubt I would’ve punished either driver, as the dual-DNFs and lack of points seem like punishment enough.

• Corrado (@corrado-dub) said on 9th June 2014, 17:36

Oh, but he left Massa time to react, it’s just that Massa turned right ! It’s something you don’t do when racing: pass a driver but at the same time try to push him off-track.

• Jonny Edwards (@racectrl) said on 9th June 2014, 20:38

Corrado: Massa was turning right because he was coming off a right turn. Perez turned left coming off a right turn. I’m pretty sure this is the reason the stewards hit Perez with a penalty. It was a late decision to block that led to an avoidable crash.

• David Bretz (@cynical) said on 10th June 2014, 8:45

Perez left it too late to move left to defend the inside line. At the speed Massa was travelling at that point, and expecting Perez to move onto the racing line for the corner he had no time to react to Perez moving left.

• greg (@greg-c) said on 10th June 2014, 2:18

I must say that the replay from checo’s onboard shows no left steering input to my eyes,
            from the top it looks like checo moves , but his on board tells me otherwise,
            im not calling it, just making a point

• Victor said on 10th June 2014, 9:11

@Greg He doesn’t turn left, but he does relax, right before the incident happens his wheel is straightened while still going through the right bend before T1.

• ricalsol said on 12th June 2014, 3:41

“Earlier than normal” what a crap…

• Rooney (@rojov123) said on 9th June 2014, 18:09

Or Williams should install a “common sense” button on Massa’s car.

• Formula KID (@alexdell) said on 9th June 2014, 18:41

Massa was looking for that hoover button…..but they for got to install….they again looking for that common sense button….again it was missing…….it was to late…..five-place grid penalty for Perez….:)

• Brian (@bealzbob) said on 9th June 2014, 17:16

I think this is where I am with it too. Whilst Perez does make an adjustment to the left at a crucial point, it was not an unreasonable adjustment to make in and of itself, and it only became a problem when combined with Massa deciding to attempt his overtake so ridiculously close to Perez’s car. Massa undoubtedly did this so as to keep as close to the racing line going around turn 1, but ultimately he was too close resulting in the collision.

The leniency of the punishment also tells me that the stewards acknowledge that any blame in this fairly major accident (27G) was very evenly spread out and they’ve decided to shade it on the side of Perez. A 5-grid punishment is hardly a punishment at all. I could be wrong but they haven’t even dished out any penalty points either. And they were giving those out like smarties earlier in the season.

• Rooney (@rojov123) said on 9th June 2014, 18:13

A 5 place grid drop is a massive punishment under the circumstances when you consider the teams involved. There is a huge scrap going for the 3rd, 4rth and 5th in the constructors championship and every point is vital, especially in this early part of the season. Williams and FI will not be able to sustain their development why Ferrari and Mclaren should be able to overhaul them pretty easily towards the end of the season. Very very tough penalty imposed the the stewards.

• kpcart said on 10th June 2014, 11:29

I disagree with you. others get 10 place penalities for less dangerous incidents. and what about things like mechanical failures (engine, gearbox) leading to penalties. checo he should have thought about the points you are talking about in the constructors battle at that moment and stayed far away from Massa, it was obvious to anyone with how close massa was that massa was going to try to pass. the penalty is fair.

• greg (@greg-c) said on 10th June 2014, 2:22

@bealzbob ,
        the drivers complained that giving out penalty points like smarties was unfairly adding calories and therefore to a drivers weight, thus breaching their anorexia clause in some contracts :)

• Pennyroyal tea (@peartree) said on 9th June 2014, 17:39

@motor_mad I agree and it is a simple concept to understand. Also Perez defense is very strong. I would be outraged. I guess the stewards like Massa and Williams better, it’s discrimination in my view. The stewards don’t like FI, Perez and the way they raced. The stewards excuses are poor but I can’t blame Williams for the dramatization, they played well and that surely helped with the decision. The Stewards should know better, massively disappointed here.

• jack said on 10th June 2014, 3:41

Maybe because he is black! if you look from the helicopter view its clear Perez try to block way too late while breaking way too early causing the accident, and its not the first time he has caused that kind of problem just ask a couple of drivers about last year, he dosent need a breaking problem for that, how many times will Perez have to repeat that this year ?

• Baron (@baron) said on 10th June 2014, 12:57

Perez moves slightly left & away from the turn. Massa is going ‘straight’ or towards the turn. This brings contact.

Moving in the braking zone is forbidden for whatever reason. Decisions have to be made in milliseconds and Perez gave Massa no opportunity to respond and hence the inevitable crash. To me, I think Perez attempted to ‘steer test’ Massa into backing off and failed for both of them.

Massa 10 Perez 0

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 9th June 2014, 21:36

I don’t see how Massa was at fault. He wanted the inside line, but he wasn’t going to give Perez the whole track to his right, because that’d have put Felipe in a very difficult line for the turn 1 and 2 complex.

Perez is the one that moved on the braking zone, far too late, and far too quickly, for Massa to respond.

Plus, he was having troubles with his car, that should be taking into account. He knew what he was getting into, the bad tyres, the faulty car… put Nico Hulkenberg in the same situation, and he could’ve even held Massa behind…

He drove a fantastic race, but spoiled it (not for the first time) with 1 costly mistake.

• SuperIU said on 10th June 2014, 3:32

But also Perez wasn’t going to give Massa the whole race line just because the is having break problems or the William were faster at that point. If Perez don’t move to the left, Massa will push him off the track or crash him anyway…
        In yout point of view Rosberg should let Perez pass earlier because he was having problems, thats non-sense. All F1 driver, include Nico wold held other drivers behind to defend their position.
        Massa were faster even thn the Red Bulls but, they mde their way to pass Perez without putting them in a compromised position, like Massa did.

• Maksutov (@maksutov) said on 10th June 2014, 15:23

To me this is 100% Massa fault. The knob-head got frustrated and probably didnt pay attention and decided to drive through another car. You can analyze it whichever way you want, but Perez had every right to do what he did, who knows what the reason is. To me it looks more like Massa simply didn’t brake. So I say to Massa , maybe next time you should just drive straight into the barrier and save us the trouble.

• jor93.ort1z (@jorgeairesortiz) said on 9th June 2014, 23:56

Perez swerved right to avoid hitting the rear of Vettel.

He knew that if he let his own rear wheel hit the front wheel of Massa, it would bring less risk to him than for Massa.

At the opening of the final lap he simply ruined his P4 as the deserved Massa’s podium.

Last year, Perez has already done this kind of stuff (not only but also) to Raikkonen…

• Mansell's_Stache said on 10th June 2014, 3:15

Given the rate at which Massa caught the front runners he should have been around most of them well before the incident. So really, it’s Massa’s fault for lacking overtaking prowess.

• Akhilesh (@graywizzard) said on 10th June 2014, 5:07

Massa should have been given the grid penalties.. he was the one who turned right into the back of perez even when he could have gone left and took the position. Perez might have slightly turned left but massa was to blame as he did not take the gap in the left

• GeeMac (@geemac) said on 10th June 2014, 6:27

I’m sorry, but Checo obviously hasn’t seen this replay. It was his fault, 100%.

• Zaphod (@zaphod) said on 10th June 2014, 19:02

In the post race interview, Perez stated (http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2014/6/15937.html):

“On the final lap I was defending my position going into Turn 1 when I suddenly got hit from behind.”

In this article, he states:

“I was following the same line and braking patterns as in the previous laps and I just got hit from behind by Massa.”

I guess he could have also been defending his position in the previous laps, but if he’s making a move to defend in the braking zone, then why wouldn’t they penalize him?

2. Fixy (@fixy) said on 9th June 2014, 16:29

Massa turns right because the track does so. Perez turns left without reason, though Massa was unnecessarily close to him. I’d have deemed it a racing incident.

• @fixy ‘unnecessarily close’, do I have to explain how racing works? Sometimes, out of the DRS zone, we have this things called ‘overtakes’.

• Andrei (@crandreico) said on 9th June 2014, 23:59

So, in the hypothetical case that Pérez never moved to the left, Massa, in order to overtake him (with a car that went much faster than Pérez’s) is to move to the right, right behind him. Yeah, “overtakes”.

• BJ (@beejis60) said on 9th June 2014, 17:17

@fixy What are you talking about? The chicane with which the accident occurred goes with left hand turn first, then a right hand turn. Why would you turn right at a left hand turn?

• David not Coulthard (@davidnotcoulthard) said on 9th June 2014, 17:50

@beejis60 The accident occurred at a right kink, not a left turn.

• George (@george) said on 9th June 2014, 18:37

@beejis60
        The normal line is to stick to the right side of the track to square off the first left of the chicane, whereas Perez was heading straight towards the apex when Massa hit him. In effect Perez deviated from the racing line in the braking zone which is why he was deemed to be at fault.

It is a close call though, Massa was coming from a long way back so it was always going to be a bit of a desperate lunge.

• Jonny Edwards (@racectrl) said on 9th June 2014, 20:43

It was a close call but ultimately Perez is to blame. However, i don’t agree that Massa came from too far back. If he did anything wrong it was leaving no room for error. If he had come from too far back he may of had time to avoid Perez’s late move to defend.

• Lou (@l-ciamp) said on 9th June 2014, 21:04

Yep, came here to say the same thing. Fastest racing line through a left-right chicane is to enter on the right and exit on the left. I honestly thought it was Massa’s fault then I watched the replay a bunch of times. Perez totally tried to block Massa.

• Tyler (@tdog) said on 9th June 2014, 23:15

Stewards got this 100% right IMHO.

Craig Scarborough posted this link to a graphic which I think pretty clearly shows what Perez did wrong:-

• jor93.ort1z (@jorgeairesortiz) said on 10th June 2014, 0:12

cool!

• greg (@greg-c) said on 10th June 2014, 2:57

“if Perez had stayed on line there would be no collision”

Rubbish,
        Racers defend, and you defend by blocking the way through, and he was only a cars width over from prior, he was in his rights to be another 3 cars width left,

“Perez had no reason to go off line other than to outbrake Vettel”
        Rubbish
        How about defending position from Massa,
        Remember folks, defending is also a requirement for a skilled racer,

“Regardless of his reasons he didn’t check his mirrors and caused a collision from this movement”
        Rubbish
        What movement, he defends a cars width off the racing (ideal) line, hardly enough I would have thought, In the heat of the battle the racing line is whatever line it takes to win,

“this frame shows how far perez turns into massa’s line”
        oh crap !!!! since when does the car behind get priority to the line ,
        check out the arcs, checo was always heading out there,
        massa tried to hold (even turn back in a little, images M2 M3 show massa heading left images M4 M5 show tightening line

The facts are, Massa hit Perez front right to rear left,
        Perez didnt reverse into Massa
        Perez had the right to defend
        Massa had the right to attack

Racing incident , go home , lick your wounds, get back on the horse,

Checos arc looks pretty constant to me, he was always going to defend,
        C,mon 1st corner – last lap, Checo got no radio msg saying ‘” Checo- Massa is faster than you-let him through”
        Look at Massa’s arc compared to Checos,

Massa has the experience and brains !!!!!!

• greg (@greg-c) said on 10th June 2014, 3:16

@keithcollantine
          Can we have an edit function plz, I know were supposed to proof read but I had said enough after “get back on the horse” and in error left it in,

• jack said on 10th June 2014, 4:05

“Racers defend, and you defend by blocking the way through” if you gonna cause a collision by doing so its too late you should have blocked earlier.
          ““Perez had no reason to go off line other than to outbrake Vettel”
          Rubbish
          How about defending position from Massa,” same principle applied in fact the “skilled” has caused that sort of collision several times last year with or without breaking proplems.
          “What movement,(seriously?) he defends a cars width off the racing (ideal) line, hardly enough I would have thought, In the heat of the battle the racing line is whatever line it takes to win(its not gonna win if you gonna crash) .
          yes it is true he has the right to defend his position but if you gonna cause a crash specially by going away from the racing line it is too late, the facts are Perez made another mistake Breaking too early and blocking too late. He has a history of doing so and will probably do more this year.

• greg (@greg-c) said on 10th June 2014, 10:08

Perez braked when he had to , he had no tires to brake any later , did you see the pic from massa’s onboard ? He’s turning into a gap filled by a car , he’s waaay faster due to tires ,
            Im struggling to defend checo as he is my least fave pilot . Heck i was glad he lost his Mclaren drive , surprised he even got it!!!
            But this time i cant help but feel he didnt deserve to be punted off the road by a far faster car .
            Talk about action ,
            Kinda keeps the heat of the mercs and their issues hey!

Right wrong
            Left right
            I enjoyed that race 100%
            Even 110% if im allowed to say that !! ;)

3. Jimbo Hull (@kartingjimbo) said on 9th June 2014, 16:32

After studying both sides of the argument looking at both video and still frames they’re both on pretty even ground. Considering that Massa did have a lot of space & turned to the right + Perez moved over onto his line even though he had been doing that for a few laps I think it turned out to be a pretty heavy racing incident in my eyes.

Massa is being a bit of a brat about it, some of the posts he’s been putting out have been really heavy on the finger pointing even though there was some room for error on both accounts. I can’t blame him to some degree because the impact was pretty hard and it could of turned out to be much worse but I don’t think it’s fair for everyone to lance Perez considering what was a risk for him too. Perez had so much to deal with for those 20 odd laps of defending or whatever it was with a car that was degrading in performance every lap. give the boy a brake. Massa caught them up in about 3 laps but failed to make a decent & safe move even though he was much faster, I kinda think it was a bit banzai/do or die from the Brazilian.

• HiPn0tIc (@hipn0tic) said on 9th June 2014, 17:15

I agree and add that Williams should have warned Massa about Perez problems with the rear brakes… And to add that not only they messed up both their races, was by an inch that Vettel’s race have it ended too…

• Lou (@l-ciamp) said on 9th June 2014, 21:11

A lot of people are saying Massa should have been warned by the team about Perez’s breaks. I have a serious question: Can the teams hear each other’s radio messages? I know we can hear them them on TV but are the teams allowed to listen to each others radios???

• jor93.ort1z (@jorgeairesortiz) said on 10th June 2014, 0:18

Perez is dangerous with his steering wheel and people which support him must learn to deal with that

4. Rick said on 9th June 2014, 16:33

Come on checo. The amount of incidents you get in to.. Notice how he doesnt mention his certain change of direction to the left…..

• erix said on 10th June 2014, 9:40

It is better for him to keep silent if he wants longer F1 stint and avoids a punch in the face.

5. Bruno (@bminasi) said on 9th June 2014, 16:34

Yeap, Massa turns right following the track, Perez goes left without a reason! Anyway, that was a great race by Massa and Williams, with a solid car and a renewd attitude!

6. He hasn’t seen the footage then?

• Jimbo Hull (@kartingjimbo) said on 9th June 2014, 16:51

Quoted saying he’d seen it several times. He’s got a point there’s plenty of stills of Massa making a obvious effort to turn right. Be it because the track direction required it he still made the decision to pass there considering the circumstances, Perez had been taking that line frequently.

7. Bleeps_and_Tweaks (@bleeps_and_tweaks) said on 9th June 2014, 16:39

I have to say I agree with Perez on this one; there was plenty of room for Massa if he wanted to complete the pass. I don’t think Perez made a significant jink the left from the onboard footage. It was a racing incident, albeit a fairly dramatic one.

8. Here is what I think

1) Perez was ahead, so he has the right to choose his line
    2) Indeed it was a right hand turn but that was quickly followed by a sharp left. Vettel was breaking and Checo was trying to do an undercut on him to regain position. He has the right to do so.
    3) Massa was fast but was not still ahead of Checo
    4) There was enough room on the track for Massa to take evasive action but there was no way Checo could have realized that Massa was there.

I think although it can be said a racing incident but I still think Massa is to blame here. He clearly could have avoided that crash if he would have been careful.

• Lou (@l-ciamp) said on 9th June 2014, 21:19

I don’t agree that he was trying to regain position on Vettel, it would make no sense to try and undercut him there because Checo would have ended up on the outside at the exit of the chicane. I think Checo tried to block Massa but misjudged how close they were. Or basically Checo decided to close down the gap at the same time Massa decided to go for it. Definitely a racing incident but I think Checo is to blame. The 5 grid spots is a bit harsh tho.

9. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 9th June 2014, 16:59

I admire Perez for having the gumption to stick up for himself, which in the PR robot generation is a breath of fresh air.

But I also think he’s wrong. Massa was turning right because the track bends right there. Going straight on would have been voluntarily spoiling his line for the following corner.

Perez, however, allowed his car to move left (relative to the curvature of the track and the racing line) at a point where he should have been aware that another car was pulling out to overtake him. That was always going to be risky, and I’m not at all surprised the stewards penalised him for it.

And I say this as someone who thinks the criticism Perez received for incidents with Raikkonen in China and Monaco last year was completely unreasonable (and, it should be remembered, he did not get penalties for either of them).

However I do think the claims Force India should have retired Perez are way over the top. There wasn’t much wrong with his lap times and there was only one lap to go. You’d have to be seven kinds of crazy to retire a car in fourth place on the final lap when it’s quite capable of reaching the flag. Williams were able to alert Massa to any potential problems Perez might have.

• MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 9th June 2014, 17:06

I have to agree. If you watch the wide shots you can see Vettel taking the normal line and is way to the right of where Perez was pointing his car. Massa was cutting it pretty fine and not leaving a lot of room but I don’t see why he would expect Perez to be moving across off the racing line like that. Arguably it was a bit of a racing incident and the 5 place penalty seems a bit harsh, but I would say that the burden of responsibility lies more with Perez than with Massa.

The comments from Smedley do seem a bit ridiculous – Rosberg had major braking issues and nobody was suggesting he should have retired or not defended his position. But remember that Smedley and Massa are very close friends, and nobody wants to see anyone go into the barriers like that. It seems a sad way for the race to end for both the drivers, but I feel like Perez would be better off trying to be a bit more objective about it, as it does seem pretty clear that it was him moving across the track which was the biggest factor in the accident.

• MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 9th June 2014, 17:14

This illustrates really well how Perez changed his line, while Massa and Vettel remained consistent

• Gav said on 9th June 2014, 17:23

We have a winner! Thanks for that.

• Corrado (@corrado-dub) said on 9th June 2014, 17:30

Sorry, don’t agree. The drivers have the right to defend their position. You know, there’s a rule for max left-right-left moves when defending a position. The way that photo investigates this case, Perez should have left Massa pass him w/o minimum fight.

BTW, take for ex MSchumacher’s pass on KRaikkonen in Brazil 2006. Kimi turned left and squeezed Schumacher to the fence. Still, Schumacher did not turn right towards Kimi ! The cases are pretty similar, but different outcomes. But Massa is no Schumacher either………

• Will said on 9th June 2014, 17:37

Drivers are allowed to defend, but don’t jink around in the braking zone. If Sergio wanted to defend on the left, he should have moved left down the straight, not a last second block in the braking zone.

Massa braked 10 meters earlier than his previous lap so he had plenty of space to make that corner down the inside. He wasn’t moving to the racing line – he was following the track as it curved. Sergio jinked left in the braking zone.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 9th June 2014, 18:32

The drivers have the right to defend their position.

No one’s disputing that. But Perez only made his left movement when Massa started to get alongside, which suggests either Perez didn’t check his mirrors, or Perez was preparing himself for a divebomb on the car ahead, when he was further behind Vettel than Massa was to Perez.

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 9th June 2014, 19:09

And that’s the most troubling part for me @david-a. Perez appears to have the spatial awareness of Maldonado, which is to say none at all. Someone as experienced as he is in open wheel racing ought to have a better idea of not deviating from the racing line when another driver is already along side.

• What has Schumacher in 2006 has to do with this. New set of rules means those examples are worthless.

• Actually you can see that Perez is kept in straight line to the Apex. It may look that we dives to the left but that is really because the track opens to the right.

I think Massa was just unaware of that or was to confident on his move. He was not even at Perez side, not even his front wing. A dive bomb we call it in SimRacing.

• sennafan said on 9th June 2014, 18:51

Very simple, massa had a truckload of space to his left which he could have utilized to avoid contact

• Mike Dee (@mike-dee) said on 9th June 2014, 19:09

Quite a nice illustration, @mazdachris

• dragoll (@dragoll) said on 10th June 2014, 10:06

@mazdachris Great image, but its still open to interpretation. However, from what I glean from the images is that Massa maintained that curve to the right where Perez, as @keithcollantine suggests, allowed his car to move over. Ultimately I don’t think it was a conscious manouvre on Sergio’s part, and whether you like it or not, it was a high speed impact that resulted in a very serious crash.

• Corrado (@corrado-dub) said on 9th June 2014, 17:20

I don’t know Keith, but Perez had no right to defend his position ?!?! To do that, the only way was to move to the left, no doubt. Isn’t that called “closing the door” ? Also, Massa had a big speed advantage and it’s quite clear he wanted to pass Perez there, but at the same time he wanted to join the racing line -> move to the right. Isn’t that something you just won’t do when racing ? I mean, make the pass, but at the same time move towards the other driver ? Wouldn’t that be called pushing a driver off-track ? Just my opinions, but I think it was just bad racing from Massa. He approached the corner with more speed than normal, realised he’s gonna miss it (so he had to turn right), but at the same time he wanted to pass Perez. It was like a conflict. If he wouldn’t have had turned right, he would have passed Perez but missed the corner and Perez would have passed him again when exiting the corner. We’ve seen this kind of moves many times… but nobody was fool enough to turn towards the other driver when passing in the braking zone.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 9th June 2014, 19:40

You have the right to defend your position, but do so by moving over while the other car is still entirely behind you, otherwise you’re just turning in on another car- which is what happened.

• reg said on 9th June 2014, 17:21

Fault on both sides. It was a pretty desperate move by Massa at that point, having spent eight laps in the Rosberg train without overtaking a single car, despite arriving on the scene with the fastest car. He was determined to make something happen and he put the car in harm’s way. I think Perez was not thinking about Massa’s position and was best positioning his car to possibly take the fight back to Vettel in case the Red Bull pushed into the corner.

That pit straight DRS zone should not exist, there is really not enough length and the braking zone and curves at the end make for a dangerous situation. It was scary enough as it was, but the result could have been much worse had Vettel been another .05 seconds down the road.

• Jonathan189 (@jonathan189) said on 9th June 2014, 17:53

They both deserved to lose their points. Perez deserved it for moving in the braking zone; Massa deserved it for taking an unnecessary risk when overtaking a car with obvious braking issues.

But is any additional punishment really necessary? Personally, I don’t see why an incident like this has to result in further penalty when both drivers have already been penalised heavily by the loss of their WDC points.

• Tim said on 9th June 2014, 18:30

For once Keith I agree with you 100%

Force India have acted childishly and unprofessionally on social media regarding the incident.

I really don’t understand why people think the mass was unreasonably close to Perez. They clearly don’t understand the track layout.

• W-K (@w-k) said on 9th June 2014, 21:09

Would you have moved to the right, to open the door wide for the guy behind?

Obviously, No. So why do you blame Perez for closing the door.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 9th June 2014, 22:18

@w-k Because Perez closed the door when Massa was already alongside.

• W-K (@w-k) said on 9th June 2014, 22:30

Massa ran into the back of Perez’s left rear tyre, how the h*** could he have been alongside.

• Frans said on 9th June 2014, 23:41

Nope! Massa wasn’t alongside when Perez was moving to the left! Check again! He was already moving to the left while Massa was still behind him. Only the stupidity of Massa that caused this collision by forcing to take the racing line. I would agree it was Perez fault if he was moving to the left after Massa was alongside him, but not in this case. I don’t know about you, but if I’m driving and I see a car in front of me moving to the left towards my path, I certainly wouldn’t try to go to the right to meet it.
          I think this is the problem of most people that support the view that Perez was the one more at fault. They always says Perez moved to the left against the racing line. They forgot that at the split second before the crash, Massa was making a sudden turn to the right as if he has the right to take the racing line with or without Perez being there. Even in the picture posted by MazdaChris above, you can see that Perez trajectory is relatively straight while Massa make a sudden turn. Yes, Perez wasn’t taking the usual racing line. But I don’t like this racing line argument because it implies that other than the usual optimal line, you can’t use the road. In this case, Perez was penalized because he took unconventional line. It was within his right as he was the car in front to take whatever damn line he wants to take. It was up to Massa to react to whatever car in front choose to do.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 10th June 2014, 1:34

@w-k @frans
            Perez only starts to move across at the point where Massa’s nose is level with the rear tyre of Perez’s car, as you can see in the above images (M4, P4). Had he done so earlier, as he was entitled to do, Massa would have adjusted to the left to make the pass.

Massa’s line was consistent with the road (though indeed relatively far to the right), but Perez changed his line in the braking zone, with another car partially alongside. You just can’t do that.

• John G (@jfever78) said on 10th June 2014, 19:01

What’s wrong with Perez’s move, and why he was penalized for it, is that he made the move at the same time as he hit the brakes. This is stupid and dangerous. I watched the end of the race again and it’s clear that on previous laps, Perez stayed way right just like every other driver does. It’s the racing line. He was already offline, and then made a further defensive move in the braking zone. That’s why he deserves a penalty. And who are these people that think he was considering a move on Vettel? Vettel already passed him because his brakes were shot.

• reno (@reno) said on 10th June 2014, 9:48

The criticism Perez received for the incident with Raikkonen in Monaco last year was not unreasonable. He escaped a penalty because he was driving for McLaren and the victim was not in a Ferrari or a Red Bull. If it was Raikkonen in the McLaren and Perez in the Lotus it wouldn’t be the same.
      Penalties are not there to make a team or a driver look stupid, but to make the game fair and safe. For a lot of reasons, it’s very difficult for F1 drivers to accept that they were wrong, thus we shouldn’t claim something like that after a race.
      I think that teams should give the stewards whatever evidence they want and respect the stewards’ decision or appeal to F1 or FIA, no press releases, no tweets, no “leaks”.
      It would be very good for the sport if the full statement (and not only the penalty) is published because our (amateurs) analysis lacks evidence and knowledge of the rules and is always under the preconceptions of personal favorites.

• the limit said on 10th June 2014, 20:21

I agree. I think Sergio was so fixated on Vettel that he simply did not see Massa make the move, which resulted in the accident. It was a racing incident, nothing malicious. These two drivers are just cheesed off because they were both on for a good result on Sunday, and all they had to show for it were two smashed up motor’s and bruises.

• Cranio said on 10th June 2014, 22:36

Looking this incident from the chicane (before finish line), you will see that Perez got a mistake and in the straight, he got less speed than Massa and Vettel. Thats why Massa tried to pass him there.

And Massa wanted to squeeze Perez at the right to take more room to enter turn 1.

• greg (@greg-c) said on 11th June 2014, 11:42

Thanks to @geemac for the link
      you can do frame by frame

10. Corrado (@corrado-dub) said on 9th June 2014, 17:04

Not a fan, but I really feel sorry for Perez. He did a strong race. I read all kind of opinions, facts… but I still keep my opinion: mostly, it’s Massa’s fault. We must think about main racing rules and the cars positions, before thinking who turned left, who turned right etc. Perez was in front, therefore had the right to choose 1st the “racing line” and to defend his positions. Also, he didn’t do more than 2-3 left-right (or viceversa) moves in order to defend his position. So, being behind, it was Massa’s obligation to find a way past Perez w/o pushing him away off track and also keeping in mind that Perez will (/has the right to) defend his position.

11. Rigi (@rigi) said on 9th June 2014, 17:08

i normally would disagree with perez but i fully agree with him for this particular incident. i think it was massa’s fault. he went for a desperate lunge that wouldn’t have worked anyway and destroyed both their races.

i don’t care how many of you will try to prove me wrong, i’ve watched the replays severable times and came to this conclusion. massa is at fault, not perez. it’s an unjustified penalty for perez. also my disrespect for massa for making comments to sergio about ‘how he still has to learn’ and was ‘driving dangerously’ for an incident where peoples opinions differ by quite a lot, has now grown massively.

• Rigi (@rigi) said on 9th June 2014, 17:25

this incident kind of reminds me of monaco 2013, where grosjean crashed into the back of ricciardo. ricciardo seemed to break early and so did perez, grosjean and massa couldn’t avoid the crashes. everyone blamed grosjean in monaco, here everyone’s blaming perez. someone said ‘whoever hits a car in front is at fault’ and i think this applies here, too. perez may have moved over to defend his position (which he is allowed to do) and it may have been a bit late but massa was still behind him at that point. the problem was that perez was having brake issues and had to brake early, massa was caught off-guard and hit him.

• Steve Freegard (@smfreegard) said on 9th June 2014, 17:33

Yeah – I agree.

I think Massa should retire. He had the speed to be able to get on the podium but he couldn’t keep a cool head and get a decent exit onto the straights to use his tyre advantage to get past the slower cars in front. Then he wipes himself and Perez… awful.

12. Illusive (@illusive) said on 9th June 2014, 17:18

Those who are telling that the track turns right and massa was right to turn right should see the footage again, he was so close to perez when making the right that he would have crashed on the back of perez’s car, which actually happened regardless of perez moving to the left.

13. DaveW (@dmw) said on 9th June 2014, 17:26

The stewards have spoken and it’s time to just move on, just as with Rosberg and Hamilton in Monaco, which smelled bad as well as looked bad. As for this incident, I think this is just a racing incident, just as when Button and Hamilton came together a little ways up the road in 2011. That piece of track snakes and there are in fact a variety of lines to take around the right hand kink and a number of ways to get into T1. That’s kind of the point, I thought, of the design. You could take a shallow line and “diamond” the corner” and be very compromised coming out of T2 possibly. Or you could take a wide line and come out of T2 very strong. The amaizing thing about the wreck was not so much where Perez put his car, but Massa’s speed at the collision. Could Massa have even made the corner if not for the accident?

• Will said on 9th June 2014, 17:40

Given Massa braked 10 meters earlier than his previous lap, yes – he had plenty of space.

14. Erivaldo moreira (@erivaldonin) said on 9th June 2014, 17:32

I think Massa was to blame.

It was a shame, because at one point of the race, we, Brazilians, think of a victory that ever happens not too long.
    But thanks for the fastest lap and especially that overtaking on Alonso.

15. U2F1 (@u2f1) said on 9th June 2014, 17:38

clearly a racing incident IMO .. Clearly Perez being the driver in the front has all the right to defend .. i don’t think he was moving around for Massa to be unable to make up his mind… Massa didn’t want to let go of the racing line and still attempted to come out in front
    If anyone it shoud be Massa who should be taking the blame

1 2 3 4